4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #95

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Interested to learn if defense is receptive to empanelling a jury from outside of Latah County and bringing them to Moscow for the duration of the trial. Can't see why they would object to that, other than wanting to inflict frustration and inconvenience on the victim's families with the goal of making a plea deal more likely.

Still early but personally I can't see moving everything to Boise. The cost, the logistics, the disruption.

Even this expert spoke in terms of news stories a person might see, not that they did see.

Jury of one's peers. Either jurors can set their bias and exposure aside or they can't.

I don't think you move a trial to a place where there's no exposure or less exposure. You seek jurors who can be impartial.

I wonder if we'll get a ruling today or if JJ will take it under advisement.

Does he have the discretion to anchor the trial but request jurors from an adjacent county? Seems like an easier remedy if he finds media impact/bias in Latah County.

JMO

Defense has nothing. They know he's going down.
Defense must spin a story or two or more to continue delay of trial. imo

So do you think BK's lawyers are lying in court when they said they firmly believe that BK is not guilty?

Were you aware that they've gone out of their way to say they believe he is not guilty?

So do you think BK's lawyers are lying in court when they said they firmly believe that BK is not guilty?

Were you aware that they've gone out of their way to say they believe he is not guilty?
I believe they are being truthful. Not sure what you mean by gone out of their way, but his defense team have made a firm stance on his innocence.

moo

Reactions: CKS

Defense attorneys can do that because they're usually careful to not ask too many questions of their client. They don't want to catch them in a lie that incriminates them. They let the defendant tell their story, then build the defense strategy from there, often using more than 1 alternative argument for why their client is innocent. IANAL

Live link

JMO, I still think the judge will allow them to try to seat a jury in Moscow first before changing venue/bringing jurors in from out of town.

Underway in a few minutes. Lots in attendance for today’s hearing.

View attachment 527762

We’re live this morning outside the Latah County Courthouse.
Bryan Kohberger will be in court at 9 - his team will fight to get his trial moved to Boise.

View attachment 527763

View attachment 527764

View attachment 527765

Hearing is underway.
A link to watch live is on KXLY+ @kxly4news
View attachment 527766

The state is slated to bring up five witnesses today. The first: James Todd Murphy, President of ‘Truescope’ a media monitoring analysis service

Truescope has been collecting media data on this case since February. Murphy says his company, in part, can track the circulation and frequency of stories for media outlets - from newspapers to broadcast news

Murphy shared this graph, showing media volume by county.Latah County had 36% of media coverage, while Ada county had 27.7%.Basically he’s saying media coverage is much more likely to be seen per person in Latah county than in Boise. By his metrics, twice as likely

View attachment 527768

Here’s a graph which displays how Latah County’s media coverage more than doubles media coverage in Ada County.From January 2023 - August 2024

View attachment 527769

The defense is trying to prove media coverage of this case is prominent in Latah county and has corrupted the jury pool

I'm already finding some flaws in the studies she's quoting, in the metanalysis. Having a group fill out a survey, then evaluating their bias after the fact isn't sufficient to measure how objective subjects are. To replicate the jury selection process, you would need to develop 2 experimental groups - one a group of people who are exposed to the stimulus, then giving their opinions; the second group would be exposed to stimulus, but before measuring their opinion, give them a talk about how to remain unbiased in spite of what they've heard or read, and base their opinion only on what they hear and see in the trial, then measure their opinion.

That's how voir dire works, right?

When using meta analysis, you have to read the details of each trial used in the analysis and judge how well it's designed. Not all are equal in quality.

I'm trying to forego judgment but these two witnesses aren't exactly bombshelly. This is all very intuitive.

The science behind how we form our biases doesn't speak to the capacity to set them aside.

JMO

@JordanSmithKXLY

This is an interesting 1-2 punch by the defense: they open with a witness proving Latah County is saturated with the most news about this case in the state, then follow with an expert in social psychologist who says these stories often create pretrial bias and assumption of guilt

For instance, she references classical conditioning: When media pairs a defendants picture with aversive terms, murder details, well-known killers, it often illicits a negative response from viewers.

Sigh.

Solid tutorial on anatomy of a juror's mind.

Truly it's not possible to remove all bias, conscious and subconscious, but it's the system we use.

Boy, they're going all out to get the trial moved. But so far, I'm not hearing anything unique to this case and the challenge of juror bias that isn't true in any high publicity trial.

Expert: I think it would be hard for anyone in this community to be on the jury.

Not exactly empirical.

Her recommendation: move the trial as far away as possible.

JMO

Next witness: Brian Edelman, trial consultant

Helps write voir dire questions!

I am so curious to see if JJ is going cut right through this.

So far, I'm not seeing anything that compels enough for moving the trial.

Her best argument, if she makes it, might be capacity of venue, whether Latah County can absorb the influx of witnesses, media, etc, but I'm not sure that alone is reason enough.

JMO

I'm already finding some flaws in the studies she's quoting, in the metanalysis. Having a group fill out a survey, then evaluating their bias after the fact isn't sufficient to measure how objective subjects are. To replicate the jury selection process, you would need to develop 2 experimental groups - one a group of people who are exposed to the stimulus, then giving their opinions; the second group would be exposed to stimulus, but before measuring their opinion, give them a talk about how to remain unbiased in spite of what they've heard or read, and base their opinion only on what they hear and see in the trial, then measure their opinion.

That's how voir dire works, right?

When using meta analysis, you have to read the details of each trial used in the analysis and judge how well it's designed. Not all are equal in quality.
BBM

Assuming potential jurors answer questions truthfully (which is not always the case) I believe voir dire can often find out what potential jurors consciously think. ("To see them say") But often the problem is what jurors may unconsciously think. Unconscious thoughts about a defendant's guilt may come from lots of things but media coverage & bias is one.) I don't think it's possible for attorneys to deliver an effective lesson during voir dire on how "outsmart" one's unconscious bias. And signs of that bias may arise during deliberations. I saw it happen when I was on a jury and I can promise the voir dire had been thorough. (During lengthy and sometimes heated deliberations someone said "he probably wouldn't have been arrested if he wasn't guilty.")
MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orlando1124
Back