4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #96

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't think he was framed, but you make a good point. He has a look and mannerisms that scream, murderer...creep...creepy murderer...
Personally, I think he did it, but I wouldn't be super surprised if he were found not guilty.

None of us know for sure, and even a conviction or acquittal isn't a 100% guarantee of guilt or innocence. Look at all the people who have been wrongly convicted and look at those who probably should have been convicted but weren't--cough, cough, OJ, Casey Anthony...

We, as a society, do the best we can, but the idea that there can ever be "justice" for the senseless killing of four beautiful young people is a myth. The criminal justice system would be better named the Criminal Grief System. It merely organizes punishment and consequences but can never restore what was lost or balance the scales of human suffering.
I believe that for the families of a murder victim, there is a measure of justice when the killer is convicted in a court of law and put behind bars for a long time. I think victim impact statements are very important for family members to express their immense feelings of grief and anger to the killer at the time of sentencing. I think you cannot overestimate the measure of justice and "closure" for family members when the killer is punished. Like many of you I watch lots of true crime and it is notable how families remain in pain when the murderer of their family member remains unknown or escapes the judicial system- they may be acquitted for the sentence is too short--- I think the term "closure' is the closest we have to expressing feelings that a measure of justice has been done and family members feel they can then move on to some degree.

I have a huge problem with sentencing and parole. I will never understand how cold-blooded killers even get parole, which also keeps family members tied to the murder of their loved one for years since they have to attend parole hearings to try and ensure the murderer stays in prison. I also have a problem with too few sentences of "life without parole"---

Our justice system is far from anything resembling perfect, but it is all we have. Of course the loss of the person who was murdered is so immense that no conviction/sentence can ever be enough.

It makes no sense for LE to frame BK. This was not a case where LE "knew" who did it from the beginning but was looking for evidence to arrest and convict. At first there were no suspects. It was a good while before we had reports of the white car that eventually lead to the identification of BK. He wasn't arrested and his DNA taken until after familial DNA was used to locate him.

The only case I can imagine of BK being framed would be if there were a cunning psychopath at WSU who developed a dislike of BK, bought a knife and sheath. Some how obtained his DNA and planted it on the sheath. Convinced in some way BK to travel to the vicinity of the house. Owned or hired a similar white car to take to the crime scene, and somehow knew that there was enough familial DNA information available to make a connection. This might make a great Hollywood movie, but is not likely at all in real life.

It makes no sense for LE to frame BK. This was not a case where LE "knew" who did it from the beginning but was looking for evidence to arrest and convict. At first there were no suspects. It was a good while before we had reports of the white car that eventually lead to the identification of BK. He wasn't arrested and his DNA taken until after familial DNA was used to locate him.

The only case I can imagine of BK being framed would be if there were a cunning psychopath at WSU who developed a dislike of BK, bought a knife and sheath. Some how obtained his DNA and planted it on the sheath. Convinced in some way BK to travel to the vicinity of the house. Owned or hired a similar white car to take to the crime scene, and somehow knew that there was enough familial DNA information available to make a connection. This might make a great Hollywood movie, but is not likely at all in real life.
I think there's only one cunning psychopath in this case, and I think he's already in custody.

MOO

I agree, except I do believe there is a form of Justice when the murderer is tried and convicted by a jury of his peers and is locked away from a free society. It makes me feel better that people like this are not able to commit this type of heinous crime again.

The grief and human suffering, you're absolutely correct. It cannot be measured and I detest the word 'closure' for the loved ones of a victim. There is never closure IMO, they just learn how to get through it day by day, not over it, or around it but through it. :(

MOO

I agree with you.

The four aren’t going to be resurrected, so short of that what can be done to make things “right?” It’ll never be right again, but the murderer has to be punished for these heinous murders and also locked away from society.

It’s all that’s left, because closure is really amorphous when you can’t have your children back. But it’s something. Hopefully a turning point that allows the families to get through their days.

As to framing BK, just IMO it’s a non-starter.

Four lively students are viciously murdered and the investigators huddle together to figure out “hey, who’s weird and knows about crime? Let’s blame him!”

No, there is evidence. The DNA, the car, the fact that BK was in the area at the time, all the stuff we already know.

JMO

I believe that for the families of a murder victim, there is a measure of justice when the killer is convicted in a court of law and put behind bars for a long time. I think victim impact statements are very important for family members to express their immense feelings of grief and anger to the killer at the time of sentencing. I think you cannot overestimate the measure of justice and "closure" for family members when the killer is punished. Like many of you I watch lots of true crime and it is notable how families remain in pain when the murderer of their family member remains unknown or escapes the judicial system- they may be acquitted for the sentence is too short--- I think the term "closure' is the closest we have to expressing feelings that a measure of justice has been done and family members feel they can then move on to some degree.

I have a huge problem with sentencing and parole. I will never understand how cold-blooded killers even get parole, which also keeps family members tied to the murder of their loved one for years since they have to attend parole hearings to try and ensure the murderer stays in prison. I also have a problem with too few sentences of "life without parole"---

Our justice system is far from anything resembling perfect, but it is all we have. Of course the loss of the person who was murdered is so immense that no conviction/sentence can ever be enough.
Thank you. You speak for me & my family. Justice is the measure of closure we get. In our case, my cousin's body was never found and may never be. It took 25 years to identify and convict his murderer. He's finally been sentenced and sent to prison.

Thank you. You speak for me & my family. Justice is the measure of closure we get. In our case, my cousin's body was never found and may never be. It took 25 years to identify and convict his murderer. He's finally been sentenced and sent to prison.
I am so sorry for your loss-- but thank goodness that eventually the killer was caught and sent to
Prison. So many of these killers seem to enjoy keeping the location of the body a secret--I think
It makes them feel a certain kind of power. Take care.

The defense has been trying to pursue the timeline of the genetic genealogy for a while--their angle is that the dna came first, which led to the name, which could lead to possible avenues of appeal.

This is diametrically opposed to law enforcement planting his dna on the evidence, which would require having the name first, not the dna, then obtaining the dna and planting it (with the facts of the case we know so far, I can't see how anyone other than law enforcement would be able to plant the dna).

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firefly64
Back