50/60 year old Amnesia Victim Savannah, GA Thread #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lion, I've been pondering Benjaman's comment about him not recognizing himself with the gray hair/looking older. I am wondering if those comments could relate to him having bad cataracts. I don't think he got those over night. I think his vision may have been pretty bad prior to his being found and that once they did the surgery to get rid of the cataracts he looked in the mirror and he was able to see what he looked like and didn't recognize himself as being so old..KWIM?

RKnowley, thank you for complimenting me:blowkiss:. And, I really would like to help, so I thought it was one small thing I could do.

http://www.davidsoneye.com/cataract.htm

Glare at night and halos around lights are frequently experienced as well. One may notice that colors have become washed out, or that images have taken on a yellowish cast.

Had Benjaman had, mature or hypermature cataracts by the time his trauma/amnesia occurred I wonder if he would have been as surprised as he seemed to be per one of his published interviews. I imagine it is possible. However, if his vision was markedly impaired at the onset of amnesia, he may not have noted the difference in hair color so strongly. Or, it could be that he did develop amnesia a relatively short time ago, but remembers (very, very vaguely) himself as having brown, not gray hair. The facts here could really go either way, perhaps.

I apologize again if this has been covered previously. If I get involved in a case I generally make it a point to read all posts and media info prior to posting myself. In this case I wanted to get started and see where I could help. But, I have a life full of time crunches. So I cut corners and will catch up over time. I am sorry if I am inconveniencing anyone with repeat questions:blushing:.

I am trying to research all about cataracts. To start I would like to know how long cataracts take to, mature or to become hypermature to the point where Benjaman's were when he was found. To know the exact type of cataracts he had might be helpful. Does anyone know how I can find out?

Chloekins was very informative regarding the cataracts-this is some of the info included in the thread...

"The only injuries that were mentioned specifically in the original report are that he had head injuries from blunt force trauma to the skull, severe cataracts from extended UV exposure, sun burn, dehydration and multiple fire ant bites."

This from pheonolred:
"Marks, Scars: Two parallel surgical scars on left elbow (from reparative surgery for broken elbow that may involve pins/plates implantation). Surgical scar on front of neck appears to be from cervical discotomy. Small round scar on left side of face near chin appears to be a puncture-type wound but believes it may be related to former tooth abscess. No tattoos. No body piercings.
Medical: Blinding cataracts in both eyes may have resulted from prolonged exposure to sun while unconscious prior to being found and brought to hospital."

Chloekins again:
"Ok I called a friend of mine who routinely does lens replacement surgery. I asked him how long it would take for someone to develop cataracts from UVB exposure. I know from personal knowledge that it is a cumulative outcome after many years, but since I am not an ophthalmologist I decided I needed backup. He confirmed that cataracts due to sun exposure usually take many years to develop. Interestingly he noted that obese people and alcoholics are more prone to developing cataracts.

I mentioned previously that Ben may have spent time in very sunny areas, or was perhaps a fisherman or pilot. There are a great deal of professions that would cause one to be exposed to sunlight for long periods of time. He may have had clouding of the eye before his prolonged exposure post beating that may have exacerbated an existing condition.

With that in mind it is very rare for a person to be in a comatose state with open eyes. Most comatose patient's eyes roll back into the skull because of relaxation of the muscles holding the eye. Im not saying that there are no cases of open eyes Im just pointing out the most people do not."

Believe09, thank you so much for posting this good info:). This helps quite a bit, and I will begin doing more research. Wow, it never ceases to amaze me that there are so many good hearted folks on websleuths!

Lion

I have a hard time believing that Benjaman was exposed to the sun for an extended time right before he was found by the dumpsters (post beating). He was found around 7 AM in the morning and my guess is that he wasn't there in the sunlight the day before for very long, if at all. How busy is the Burger King? What area are the dumpsters in? Would he have been seen there if it had been in the daylight hours? My feeling is that he either wandered there after dark or was dumped there after dark.

ETA: I guess it's possible that Benjaman was beat some place else and lay in that area for an extended amount of time in the sunlight and then came to and wandered over to Burger King and "passed out" again? He was sunburned..hmmmm

I mentioned previously that Ben may have spent time in very sunny areas, or was perhaps a fisherman or pilot. There are a great deal of professions that would cause one to be exposed to sunlight for long periods of time. He may have had clouding of the eye before his prolonged exposure post beating that may have exacerbated an existing condition.

RKnowley, unless the place that Benjaman was found near the dumpster was obscured to the point where an employee may not have seen him, I agree he may have wandered there or been left there during the night or early morning.

I am currently researching mature and hypermature cataracts and the effects of UVA and UVB rays on the human eye. Particularly, I want to know how quickly cataracts can develop under extraordinary circumstances. I wonder if mature/hypermature cataracts can form rapidly if a person is left unconscious, on the ground facing up with eyes open to sunlight.

If Benjaman and nurse Betty are reading here I hope that I am not writing anything here that offends or upsets you in any way. Please let me know if I am, and I will do what ever you suggest to change that:).

Lion

I found this among the vast info out there on cataracts. I still cannot find reliable scientific data to answer whether nor not cataracts of any type can be caused by prolonged exposure to sunlight in a short period of time.

I imagine, as another poster stated Benjaman might have had a lifestyle conducive to spending much time in the sun. But, we just don't know. Looking at pictures of him I don't get the impression that he spent an excessive amount of time in the sun for a greater part of his life. Of course I could be mistaken.

http://www.healthline.com/adamcontent/cataract

Factors that may contribute to cataract development are low serum calcium levels, diabetes, long-term use of corticosteroids, and various inflammatory and metabolic disorders. Environmental causes include trauma, radiation exposure, and too much exposure to ultraviolet light (sunlight).

Lion

Just as a heads up-alcohol and drug use can speed up the formation of cataracts as well, but Mr. Kyle's liver appears to be in very good shape...you can find that information included in this thread as well.

Sorry for the double post-Butler University contacted me and was looking for some additional information about Mr. Kyle before they hit their archives etc. Are there specific parameters regarding what I can share?

I know a while back we were discussing language issues with amnesia victims........Here is an article I found online.....this guy had amnesia and didn't remember how to speak his native language.

"On Tuesday, [Kellie Rust] took [Omar Beidari] to the home of Stacy MacEachern, her sister, in Weymouth, where he has remained. The two sisters have tried to help Beidari piece his life back together by encouraging him to remember.
Beidari appeared live on Saturday night's "The Big Story Weekend with Rita Cosby" on Fox News. After seeing the show, someone spotted Beidari and contacted his brother, Maliki Hamani Beidari, in Greensboro.
Beidari's brother is trying to fly to Boston to reunite with him, possibly as early as today. Beidari worries that he won't recognize his family or that he won't be able to communicate with his parents, who don't speak English."

Another Exerpt....

"His brother contacted him at MacEachern's home, though they could communicate only in broken English. Maliki tried to speak in Djarma and Haoussa, but Omar didn't remember how to speak those native languages."

Kel

At the suggestion of the representative from Butler University, I also sent emails to The indanapolis Star, The Fort Wayne Gazette and the South Bend Herald to try and stir some attention...

In a PM from Christine she states the following and asks that "we" try finding out which of our potential matches for Benjaman have their DNA in CODIS. So if any of us can work on this, that would be great!

I am also wtg word back from her (Nurse Betty) on DNA...as I posted DNA was done, but is NOT in CODIS, it was run against other identfiers....I have given them info on how to do this for no cost to Mr Kyle...anywho, point being, once that is done, we can put aside many that are in CODIS...I thought it was important we start noted which potentials have DNA in CODIS (that will take some away some leg work for us!)

We are also compiling an email to Betty and Benjaman that has all of the potential matches and links to their information included in it so that Betty and Benjaman can work on them at their leisure and work on those they think can be eliminated.

We are also compiling an email to Betty and Benjaman that has all of the potential matches and links to their information included in it so that Betty and Benjaman can work on them at their leisure and work on those they think can be eliminated.[/quote]

you guys are amazing-would you include in the email a question I had regarding the name "Parker" and if Stilesville, or Hendricks County might mean anything to him?

Thank you...

Christine has sent the email to Nurse Betty and Benjaman with all of the "possibles" that everyone came up with and she will let us know what is going on with it when she hears back from Betty and Benjaman. Christine wishes she could be here to help out but she is at work and is not allowed to be on from work anymore.

Thanks for the update, RKnowley:). I look forward to what I can do to help.

Lion

I think we can narrow down the list of possibles some ourselves before checking them all out to see if their DNA is in CODIS. For example, there are some listed that have tattoos that can be ruled out immediately. There is one who is partly paralyzed and has bladder and bowel problems. He can be ruled out too. Do any stand out to you that could be eliminated now?

I received an email from the nurse stating that the National Enquirer went to press Monday, and the issue featuring BK should be available by tomorrow (Friday Nov. 9). The issue date will be either Nov. 12 or Nov. 19.

I received an email from the nurse stating that the National Enquirer went to press Monday, and the issue featuring BK should be available by tomorrow (Friday Nov. 9). The issue date will be either Nov. 12 or Nov. 19.

thank you!-gonna be a long weekend....

That is fantastic news. His face will be at every store checkout across the nation.

Thank you Gina:). This is good news!

Lion

Excellent! I bet this is exciting for Benjaman and Nurse Betty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DownlowDelivery