7.0 Earthquake Hits Haiti Hospital Collapses

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My sis-in-law is in Florida (has been since Friday) - has finally been reunited with one of the 2 children. Love this pic! However, the girl's brother is still tied up in all the red tape. He supposedly is on a plane with two other kids today, but there is talk about Orlando holding onto the children, wanting to put them in foster homes first - meanwhile the adoptive parents are there, frantic to get their children. Also something about the adoptive parents having to have the paperwork to be foster parents.Things are very unclear right now as they are trying to get the straight story. We are hoping for a reunion with her son since she already has the daughter.

patriciadawn.jpg

What is the update on the brother.
Praying to Keep the siblings together....:)

Here's a site with 360 degree videos of various streets and neighborhoods after the quake. You can click on the videos and then drag to rotate the view. The videos are for disaster recovery planning, and eligible agencies can get higher-res versions of these videos.

http://www.immersivemedia.com/haiti/

A dozen young men jostled one another waiting in line on Jan. 24 for food and water in Cité Soleil, one of Haiti's poorest neighborhoods. One wore an Obama campaign T-shirt, and when asked about it, he and his comrades grinned and chanted, "Obama!" But when asked if they would stay in Port-au-Prince and help rebuild the devastated city as the Obama Administration is encouraging Haitians to do, they all shook their heads. "As Obama said, all Haitians are Americans, and all Americans are Haitians," said Bertrand Aboite, 31. The U.S. President never actually said this. He did pledge that Haitians wouldn't be "forgotten" or "forsaken," but many Haitians appear to have taken away another message.
This is the second story I have seen today in which Haitians have claimed to be Americans. It makes me wonder if during the translation of Obama's speech, that his statements were misconstrued. If so then I can see where this could lead to more problems for the US.

A dozen young men jostled one another waiting in line on Jan. 24 for food and water in Cité Soleil, one of Haiti's poorest neighborhoods. One wore an Obama campaign T-shirt, and when asked about it, he and his comrades grinned and chanted, "Obama!" But when asked if they would stay in Port-au-Prince and help rebuild the devastated city as the Obama Administration is encouraging Haitians to do, they all shook their heads. "As Obama said, all Haitians are Americans, and all Americans are Haitians," said Bertrand Aboite, 31. The U.S. President never actually said this. He did pledge that Haitians wouldn't be "forgotten" or "forsaken," but many Haitians appear to have taken away another message.
This is the second story I have seen today in which Haitians have claimed to be Americans. It makes me wonder if during the translation of Obama's speech, that his statements were misconstrued. If so then I can see where this could lead to more problems for the US.

When people do not speak English the translation can get mixed up. Lets hope they will translate the speech for them when they have TVs...Right now they need food.
We know he did not say that Haitians are Americans.

When people do not speak English the translation can get mixed up. Lets hope they will translate the speech for them when they have TVs...Right now they need food.

when kennedy gave his famous speach in berlin ich nein ien berliner, he actually said 'today i am a jelly doughnut' rather then 'today i am a berliner' ;)

Super Bowl among reasons cited for halting transport of Haiti's injured to Florida
By Bob Lamendola and Rafael A. Olmeda
Sun-Sentinel Staff WriterSouth Florida Sun Sentinel

Posted: 9:17 a.m. Friday, Jan. 29, 2010

Federal disaster planners have temporarily halted flights bringing Haiti's earthquake victims to hospitals in Florida, local and state officials said Thursday.

The need to be ready for a mass emergency or disaster at the Super Bowl or Pro Bowl played a part in the decision, as did the fact that South Florida hospitals were getting "saturated" with evacuees and that disaster planners had no specific plan for handling the injured at other hospitals, officials said.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/s...asons-cited-for-halting-transport-201637.html

I'm posting this article but will not comment as my opinions and views (because I live this everyday) are not respected here. I'm posting it because toward the middle of the article it talks about the "division" of Florida voters over immigration laws.

I can tell you this as I have many friends working in Broward county hospitals. The part about all the victims being Americans and most with insurance is total fabrication. ALL our hospitals are bursting at the seams with victims - Haitian victims - flown here in medivacs - who will not be paying the hefty medical bills.

This is not about what WE know, but rather about what the Haitians THINK they know. Considering that they have not even been able to restore the electricity in PaP yet, IMO it may be a very long time before they have TV's. Many Haitians are trying to leave PaP and other areas of Haiti now which could create huge problems for areas such as south Florida. And how will those Haitians that attempt to come here feel about the US when they are turned away considering what they think Obama said?

This is not about what WE know, but rather about what the Haitians THINK they know. Considering that they have not even been able to restore the electricity in PaP yet, IMO it may be a very long time before they have TV's. Many Haitians are trying to leave PaP and other areas of Haiti now which could create huge problems for areas such as south Florida. And how will those Haitians that attempt to come here feel about the US when they are turned away considering what they think Obama said?

I hope they cant just hop on a plane and show up :waitasec:
I assume they know they have to make some arrangements and while they do make a plan they
will find out that they CANT.

Maybe they will have a TV there translating what Obama really said in French.
Geshhhh - maybe they see many get trespassed for medical reasons and assume they can go too...
I sure hope not.

From the trenches here it is NOT that they (the Haitians) think Obama said all Haitians are Americans - it was the granting of TPS. Temporary Protected Status. Once Homeland Security granted this (for the next 18 months) it allowed all the Haitians here to qualify for food stamps, WIC, and AFDC benefits. Local churches allowed use of their facilities to help the State with all the filings. The first morning they showed one church in Miami - the line was outside around the church TWICE! One reporter followed someone after they filed and they went straight to the local Welfare office for their food stamps and what not. People, we are barely clinging on down here. I know so many single mothers - Americans - working for $10 - 12 an hour and DO NOT QUALIFY for food stamps.

But I digress here, the granting of TPS was what is being "taken" as the Haitians are now Americans. I did find it interesting that there is a $500.00 filing fee for everyone filing for TPS. The govt is only allowing 200,000 applications - that's $10 million. Wonder where THAT is going to go? hmmmmmmm.........

when kennedy gave his famous speach in berlin ich nein ien berliner, he actually said 'today i am a jelly doughnut' rather then 'today i am a berliner' ;)

I know.... LMAO
But...Whats up with you? you should take up the comedy hour....
Each thread you cracking me up.... :)

From the trenches here it is NOT that they (the Haitians) think Obama said all Haitians are Americans - it was the granting of TPS. Temporary Protected Status. Once Homeland Security granted this (for the next 18 months) it allowed all the Haitians here to qualify for food stamps, WIC, and AFDC benefits. Local churches allowed use of their facilities to help the State with all the filings. The first morning they showed one church in Miami - the line was outside around the church TWICE! One reporter followed someone after they filed and they went straight to the local Welfare office for their food stamps and what not. People, we are barely clinging on down here. I know so many single mothers - Americans - working for $10 - 12 an hour and DO NOT QUALIFY for food stamps.

But I digress here, the granting of TPS was what is being "taken" as the Haitians are now Americans. I did find it interesting that there is a $500.00 filing fee for everyone filing for TPS. The govt is only allowing 200,000 applications - that's $10 million. Wonder where THAT is going to go? hmmmmmmm.........

:waitasec: What ???? how is it that the Earthquake in ?Haiti is allowing Haitians in Florida/USA free anything?
How were they effected :waitasec: :waitasec:
I only understand that those who were in Haiti had great lose, famine, wounds, etc.....The rest of this is not understandable.
AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

Is Obama trying very hard to not even be considered of a 2nd nomination? :waitasec: WTF?

:waitasec: What ???? how is it that the Earthquake in ?Haiti is allowing Haitians in Florida/USA free anything?
I only understand that those who were in Haiti had great lose, famine, wounds, etc.....The rest of this is not understandable.
AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

Is Obama trying very hard to not even be considered of a 2nd nomination? :waitasec: WTF?
Its not that you are missing anything. Its how the system works. If you are a "foreigner" and come here illegal - well you can get along, probably even work - but you can't get much from the "system". BUT once you are granted a "status" - as in TPS - that now means you are in our country legally and therefor eligible for any benefits. Since most (if not all) the illegal Haitians here are indigent - they qualify for welfare once TPS is granted. What I don't get is where are they all coming up with the $500. filing fee? But, then again, our crime rate down here is outrageous!!!! So.....there ya go. But, yea, once the govt "grants" you "anything" you are then automatically eligible for everything the govt offers.

Its not that you are missing anything. Its how the system works. If you are a "foreigner" and come here illegal - well you can get along, probably even work - but you can't get much from the "system". BUT once you are granted a "status" - as in TPS - that now means you are in our country legally and therefor eligible for any benefits. Since most (if not all) the illegal Haitians here are indigent - they qualify for welfare once TPS is granted. What I don't get is where are they all coming up with the $500. filing fee? But, then again, our crime rate down here is outrageous!!!! So.....there ya go. But, yea, once the govt "grants" you "anything" you are then automatically eligible for everything the govt offers.

:waitasec::waitasec: That is a system ? :banghead::banghead:

hhhmmmm? so in 18 months they make a baby that is a USA citizen and then they stay?
Or do they get shipped back?
WTF is going on.
Is Obama trying to get overthrown?

now overthrows in america.
we use the ballot instead of the bullet :)

AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

Possibly. I heard President Obama say that the goal of a President is not to get reelected. Maybe he's had enough already. In fairness to him though, his point was that he is not making decisions with reelection in mind.

As I heard my dad state repeatedly throughout my life "who is going to pay for all of this". He was thinking that he could not keep carrying other's burdens as he was having trouble carrying his own load. Now, he has reached old age and guess what?, he is still paying because they've tapped into his fairly earned benefits. When is it going to end, when?

Therefore, I can only imagine how Floridians must feel, all but the very wealthy ones.

Possibly. I heard President Obama say that the goal of a President is not to get reelected. Maybe he's had enough already. In fairness to him though, his point was that he is not making decisions with reelection in mind.

As I heard my dad state repeatedly throughout my life "who is going to pay for all of this". He was thinking that he could not keep carrying other's burdens as he was having trouble carrying his own load. Now, he has reached old age and guess what?, he is still paying because they've tapped into his fairly earned benefits. When is it going to end, when?

Therefore, I can only imagine how Floridians must feel, all but the very wealthy ones.
ITA:

I can see bringing in those who need medical care, or even the orphans, so that they cant be trafficked.
Everyone else should be fed and put to work in their own country.

Thank you Woe.be.Gone - one of the very first things I had said when I heard about this was "how much is this gonna cost us?" I agree with bringing the children here - we should help every child we can but the adults? Nope - they should stay put and rebuild their country stronger and better with building codes (after all they are in a "Hurricane Alley" anyway). They have the chance now - to build a modern infrastructure and then go from there - but its going to take people to build it - the financing will be there with all the donations. Although I'm hearing alot on the streets here about the US "acquiring" Haiti (kinda like a possession like Puerto Rico and Guam). Please, I hope not - not until they get a handle on all the disease there first. The top 3 diseases I've been told are: 1) TB 2) Dissentary 3) Cholera (with yellow fever and typhoid tying for 4th). Scary stuff! Especially to have in your own neighborhood!

ITA:

I can see bringing in those who need medical care, or even the orphans, so that they cant be trafficked.
Everyone else should be fed and put to work in their own country.

ITA And how are they making sure that none of the prisoners that escaped when the prison collapsed are not among those coming to the USA?:waitasec:

ITA And how are they making sure that none of the prisoners that escaped when the prison collapsed are not among those coming to the USA?:waitasec:

That's a good question. How many prisoners are there? I don't recall hearing much about this other than that they escaped.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoftyGoalGirl
Back