8 Die in Crash on Taconic State Parkway #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched this and, based only on the documentary, as I haven't read any of the latest news, I felt very sorry for Daniel. I think he and his sister-in-law are both truly bewildered and can't make sense of what happened, and they really do want to understand. They both acknowledged that Diane smoked marijuana sometimes after everything was finished in the late evening to help her sleep, but he was adamant that she would not do it in the family camping trip/driving-home environment. And I believe that he believes this. He didn't strike me as being in denial, just unable to comprehend. He knew she smoked marijuana sometimes and social drank on occasion, but that's a far cry from heavily engaging in those activities late morning/early afternoon with five children in the car. Although the toxicology reports seem indisputable, I think he can't accept what he's never seen his wife do, especially with such horrifying consequences. I just felt really sad for the guy. (And, of course, I felt sad for all of the victims and their families.)

I assume he didn't know his wife was possibly/probably an alcoholic. That's not a stretch to believe and what happened that tragic day extends far beyond social/occasional drinking.

I know lots of folks who don't consider marijuana to be a "drug." But then again, he may have been attempting to protect her reputation.

As far as the "one bottle of vodka that lasted them a year" comment goes, perhaps she had been replenishing along the way and he truly didn't realize it wasn't the same bottle all that time?

I'm just not willing to hold this guy responsible for the decisions Diane made that day. And I can't vilify him for trying to protect her reputation; though I really don't think it ever crossed his mind that he would have to do so. It's also not a crime to be a dunce.

By ALL accounts, Diane was smart, responsible and capable. IMO, she never gave anyone close to her any reason to question that. She fooled them all and the result was devastating to so many.

BBM: That may well be the bottom line.

Lady Justice makes a lot of good points in the post before yours, but I repeat that if Dan Schuler had been aware that his wife was a raging alcohol/junkie who was drunk when he left her at the campsite, he would not be doing so many things to attract scrutiny of himself, his wife and their marriage.

And maybe Dan isn't anyone's idea of the perfect husband. Nonetheless, he is the husband Diane chose and it takes two to make a marriage.

I just watched this and, based only on the documentary, as I haven't read any of the latest news, I felt very sorry for Daniel. I think he and his sister-in-law are both truly bewildered and can't make sense of what happened, and they really do want to understand. They both acknowledged that Diane smoked marijuana sometimes after everything was finished in the late evening to help her sleep, but he was adamant that she would not do it in the family camping trip/driving-home environment. And I believe that he believes this. He didn't strike me as being in denial, just unable to comprehend. He knew she smoked marijuana sometimes and social drank on occasion, but that's a far cry from heavily engaging in those activities late morning/early afternoon with five children in the car. Although the toxicology reports seem indisputable, I think he can't accept what he's never seen his wife do, especially with such horrifying consequences. I just felt really sad for the guy. (And, of course, I felt sad for all of the victims and their families.)

You might want to duck, Saffron, but before the shooting starts, I should say that I felt much the same way. I don't believe people have to be perfect in order to deserve our sympathy.

Just a thought and comment. I went back and watched the you-tube video, and didn't catch on earlier that she had diabetes. This is interesting because with diabetes, high sugar levels can mimic a druken stupor. I've experienced it myself before I got my sugars under control. One night I was doing laundry, and could hardly walk to the washing machine. I was dizzy, stumbling, and my mind was foggy. I tested my sugars and they were 500!! (normal for me is 120-180). Thank GOD I was at home and not behind the wheel. I went on insulin shortly thereafter and continue to do so.

Alcohol and Diabetes do NOT mix. If she's drinking spirits (Vodka), the alcohol will turn into sugars and spike your levels.

If this woman was 2x the legal limit, and add to that a sugar high - she was in a whole lot of trouble. Another thing is if she was a type II, then Orange Juice should never have been purchased either -- just adds to the spike. If I have any (rarely) I'll have a 1/4 cup and add at least 12 ounces of water to it.

I know it doesn't take alcohol out of the equation, but for those who have Diabetes know what I'm talking about. It's a deadly combination. I wonder what meds she was on, if any?

MOO

Mel

Don't know of any evidence that Diane Shuler was a diabetic. That was one of many "excuses" Dominic Barbara used during the press conference - he said she may be diabetic, or had a boil on her leg or a bad tooth.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/06/taconic-drunk-driver-dian_n_253057.html

"On the other hand we have autopsy and toxicology reports from a state-of-the art crime lab that not only ruled out the possibility that Diane Schuler suffered from a stroke, heart attack or diabetic episode, but found she was both drunk (to the point of being twice the legal limit) and high on marijuana"

Don't know of any evidence that Diane Shuler was a diabetic. That was one of many "excuses" Dominic Barbara used during the press conference - he said she may be diabetic, or had a boil on her leg or a bad tooth.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/06/taconic-drunk-driver-dian_n_253057.html

"On the other hand we have autopsy and toxicology reports from a state-of-the art crime lab that not only ruled out the possibility that Diane Schuler suffered from a stroke, heart attack or diabetic episode, but found she was both drunk (to the point of being twice the legal limit) and high on marijuana"

BBM.

What?

BBM.

What?

Dominic Barbara was Daniel Shulers attorney - he was at the press conference and in the documentary film.

If you click the video in one of my posts above you can watch him offer many "excuses". None of them were found in DS's autopsy...

zippity, I can't find that quote at your link. Instead it says this:

A preliminary autopsy of Diane Schuler ruled out a stroke, heart attack, or aneurysm, Westchester County officials said.

Are you quoting one of the comments? If so, I think that needs to be identified.

For what it's worth, I think you are right: gestational diabetes was just speculation by Barbara, Schuler's lawyer. But I can't find any confirmation that the M.E. tested for it.

Well that's odd. In the article it states that perhaps Diane Schuler may have had gestational diabetes. That goes away after the birth of a child. That's why it's called gestational ;) But in the you-tube video, he says "diabetes", not type 1 or 2 -- just diabetes.

However, the article states A preliminary autopsy of Diane Schuler ruled out a stroke, heart attack, or aneurysm. Maybe I missed something.

If she was a diabetic, that's a pretty simple test (A1C) which measures your average blood sugar over the past 2-3 months. I'm pretty sure this would have been done during the autopsy (though I certainly cannot confirm).

If she had a low sugar problem, the orange juice makes sense. The vodka and marijuana does not. However, diabetes makes you do funky things (like laying down on a park bench like a homeless person (ME)). It does mess with the mind.

Yet, 99% of people with these kind of symptoms are medicated. So unless there's a source that she was taking meds for diabetes, or autopsy results that it was ruled in/out, I can only take it with a grain of sale. I can't really rely on what the attorney said - KWIM?

It also doesn't sound like this malady wasn't mentioned in the HBO special either. So I think I'm gonna just cross it off my list.

Thanks!!

MOO

Mel

Per the link, the court in which the Hance's are countersuing has a damage limit of $25K. That's only slightly more than small claims court. So perhaps this suit is largely symbolic, repayment for Dan Schuler's suit.

So the families are waging war in civil court. Nothing about this case gets any less heartbreaking.

No. The lower court limits damages to $25,000. That's why Hance filed her lawsuit in the Supreme Court.

No. The lower court limits damages to $25,000. That's why Hance filed her lawsuit in the Supreme Court.

You are absolutely right, jenny. Thanks.

But in my defense, the sentence in question is really badly worded, I think:

Hance's lawsuit was filed in state Supreme Court in Suffolk where lower courts limit awards to $25,000, according to the Post.

I don't know if it's ME or if there just isn't anything but that seems like a huge deal if true. I just watched most of the docu (came in when it was 25 minutes into it) and I am more perplexed than before.

I have a question re the 9-hour phone call. Does anyone know off the top of her head when it began and ended? (I don't need a link. Your best recall is good enough.)

I am wondering whether we should add "lack of sleep" to "alcohol" and "pot" as contributing factors in the crash.

Oops -I must have grabbed the wrong url.. here is the article where I took those comments from.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/juli-charkes/who-to-believe-in-diane-s_b_253854.html

Here is DS's autopsy file...

http://www.lohud.com/assets/pdf/BH14176392.PDF

Thanks, zippity. The HuffPo blog is enlightening for those of us who have never dealt with alcoholic relatives.

I'm not surprised Dan Schuler's lawyer won't let him talk to police. Schuler could very easily find himself charged with any number of things, from marijuana possession to accomplice to murder. Or he could be charged with lying to police if LE doesn't like his answers.

If I were Schuler, I wouldn't talk to police either. Not with the public outrage surrounding this event. Public outrage = pressure on police.

I know people (friends and family) who drink and am familiar with their habits. Some people drink a lot, some always just have one or two, some are seasonal (I'm more likely to have a drink in the summer), some are in AA and don't drink at all. There are obvious differences between these people's habits.

The docu doesn't show anyone who ever saw Diane impaired, drunk, drinking more than one or two. Yes, she could have as she was home alone every night. But, she had never been in an accident before, no one saw her driving impaired before, she had a professional job, took care of the house and kids. Even if she was a functioning alcoholic SOMETHING went severely wrong that day. She was driving aggressively and somewhat erratically for many miles, stopping and looking like she was vomiting after/around the Tappen Zee Bridge although she had seemed fairly normal at the McDonalds and the gas station (although I found her driving there aggressive). But by the time she enters the Taconic the wrong way (after first going the right way and circling back) she looks "determined" she never wavers once she gets in the passing, fast lane going the wrong way-she had to cross all lanes to get into that passing lane. It was noted there was no lane shifting, no movement of the car, she held on to the wheel, stared straight ahead and never looked at or acknowledged any of the many people who were flashing lights, honking horns, moving quickly out of her way on the ramp and on the highway. Not being an alcoholic I don't know whether this behavior is consistent with alcoholism but I can't imagine me being able to do that drunk or sober as if I were drunk I wouldn't be coordinated enough to drive that straight and, if sober, I wouldn't be crazy enough to drive into oncoming traffic without wavering.

Before watching the docu (and I haven't followed this closely but was aware of it) I was feeling like, "OK, she was a functioning alcoholic, hid it well, drank too much and had an accident" simple tale. I'm not sure that's what happened. I understand her husband's reaction although I firmly believe it would have been easy to hide ANYTHING from that guy. He was and prefers to be, clueless, and depends on others for everything.

But there were many other people in her life who knew she smoked pot, who spent time with her and who seemed to know her pretty well. It was noted that she never discussed personal things with anyone. Her marriage, feelings stuff seemed off limits.

I think she created an image of who she wanted to be and had been successfully presenting that image to the world. She had been "abandoned" by her mother and refused to re-connect with her since the age of 9. She was a perfectionist married to a..kind of lazy, underemployed slob-even his mother kept repeating he was just like Diane's "oldest child".

Did some combination of things happen to make her snap? What happens to make a wonderful mother, responsible person drink and smoke pot while driving 5 children in her car? What the heck is the 9 hr phone call story and is it true? Did she just accidently drink too much and panic when she realized it and try to get away from her brother and avoid having someone find her out and just had a horrible accident? I guess maybe..

I DVR'd the next time the docu shows on Saturday so I can watch from the beginning but I think I'm more mystified than ever.

Thanks for the research, tamfish.

In answer to your question, I think there are people who drink, but never do so to the point of being visibly impaired.

To someone who has never seen a loved one visibly drunk, the distance between 2 daiquiris in the evening and twice-the-legal-limit drunk and driving in the morning is quite far.

although I do think it wouldn't have been too tough to pull one over on him. Jay seems to believe it even more in some ways. She seems to have stepped in for Diane only with maybe not as much patience for Dan as Diane had.

But she obviously doesn't believe Diane would have knowingly engaged in the behavior she obviously engaged in. What that means I'm not sure. But I can understand. I know if this had been my husband, who really rarely drinks and never gets drunk, I would feel the same way. Are they just completely wrong? Maybe, but this type of non-accidental accident required a series of bad decisions and failures to act rationally and I can't fault them for not understanding if they truly had no idea that this was even the remotest of possibilities with Diane.

I just saw this quote on another web site that had an article about this case and I wondered if anyone here had heard this or seen this reported somewhere before:
Then, she marries a guy who works nights and she's the primary breadwinner/parent and is so stressed that a local bar later identifies her as a regular who complains about her marriage and stress at work.

Good summary of the issues, Boytwnmom. I don't think there's anything in the beginning of the film that is going to answer your questions or change your mind. (But I could be wrong. By all means, watch it.)

I would really like to hear more about the 9-hour phone call as it isn't mentioned in any MSM source I've read. If nothing else, I'd like to know how she kept her cell phone charged that long!

I can believe:

a. Diane was a closet alcoholic who was too tired and too stoned to drive and lost count of how much she was drinking that morning. (In answer to your question, Boytwnmom, "hyper-concentration" is one way to try to compensate for being drunk. I don't know this from driving, but I certainly know it from walking home from a few bars.)

b. Diane had some sort of medical episode that morning and went terribly wrong while trying to self-medicate.

Obviously, a. and b. aren't mutually exclusive.

HOWEVER, it's really a stretch for me to believe that Diane decided to commit suicide with her three nieces in the car. I know parents sometimes decide it's a kindness to take their own children "with them." But there is nothing to suggest the Hances were anything but loving parents. I have trouble making the leap to believe the Hance girls' aunt killed them on purpose.

I just saw this quote on another web site that had an article about this case and I wondered if anyone here had heard this or seen this reported somewhere before:

News to me, but I'm very new to this case.

Could be true, but it's also the sort of thing people tell tabloids when they want some of the attention attracted by a famous case. She had two small children. I know we've established Dan as rather clueless, but would he really not notice that his wife was leaving little kids home alone at night?

I watched it this morning as it was on at 10:15.I don't know what to think.I can totally understand where family members cannot reconcile why this happened if this was not a normal pattern or typical behavior from a loved one.

My sister died in a single car accident on New Year's Day and her vitrious humor reading was 0.28.This was no surprise but I don't even know how she even turned the key in the jeep at that point but she did.I assume she had consumed it elsewhere as there was no bottles found in the jeep or at the crash site.

Diane seeking out pain medication makes me think that she was in pain...but she could have asked where the nearest place was to purchase some Tylenol or Ibuprofen.

Sorry for the rambling but I just don't think she did this intentionally unless I am missing something.Did she just start chugging Vodka and decide to fire it up?It's so bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing-CC