8 Die in Crash on Taconic State Parkway

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://wcbstv.com/local/bryan.schuler.taconic.2.1125185.html

Bryan Schuler, 5, Begins Rehabilitation Program At St. Mary's Hospital For Children In Queens

I am glad to read that police have no immediate plans to talk to her son. I doubt he would remember a lot given his age and the seriousness of the accident. Many survivors of terrible auto accidents can't remember hours, sometimes days prior to the crash - which is a very kind feature of memory.

I hope his rehab goes smoothly.

I am glad to read that police have no immediate plans to talk to her son. I doubt he would remember a lot given his age and the seriousness of the accident. Many survivors of terrible auto accidents can't remember hours, sometimes days prior to the crash - which is a very kind feature of memory.

I hope his rehab goes smoothly.

I was in a bad accident when I was his age. Sitting in the back of a station wagon with the back window down in the 60's. I was thrown out the window and hit a tree. I don't remember any thing about the accident, just the visitors and gifts they brought :)

I was in a bad accident when I was his age. Sitting in the back of a station wagon with the back window down in the 60's. I was thrown out the window and hit a tree. I don't remember any thing about the accident, just the visitors and gifts they brought :)

Good Lord, grace! I am glad you are okay! :)

There but for the grace of God go I. I remember driving home from a bar many years ago so drunk that I don't have a clue how I got there. I never was much of a drinker but every once in a while I would get a wild hair and really hang one on. Just out of a marriage...because he was a drunk!!!...and was having a great time...I thought! I didn't have kids in the car...it was just me but what if I had gone head on into a car that had kids in it. What if I had killed everyone in the other car.

I was a social drinker...not an alcoholic...but I did drink and drive and I could have caused a bad wreck leaving people dead. Maybe it was the same for Diane S. Everyone is so sure she was an alcoholic but she might not have been. She may have drank more then she planned to that day and got drunk without even realizing the shape she was in. I think that is a possibility. People that saw her along the way said she wasn't acting drunk...when she got food for the kids. Maybe she didn't eat and the alcohol hit her harder then it would have if she had eaten something. She knew something was wrong because she called her brother and told him she wasn't feeling well.

I only wish she had stayed where she was and waited for her brother to come and get them.

I 100% agree with you. I do not believe by any means she was an alcoholic let alone intended the tragedy that happened (God Bless all their Souls). When I read that she contacted her brother and he told her to wait I WISH SHE WOULD HAVE taken that advise and just stayed put. Bad, Bad decision and forever haunting!!!

I 100% agree with you. I do not believe by any means she was an alcoholic let alone intended the tragedy that happened (God Bless all their Souls). When I read that she contacted her brother and he told her to wait I WISH SHE WOULD HAVE taken that advise and just stayed put. Bad, Bad decision and forever haunting!!!

that is the thing that bothers me about this case, the call she made to her brother, IF She was a regular drinker. i don't think she would of made that call to her brother telling him she was have problems. something just dont make sense and i can put my finger on it.

I have a good friend who is an insurance agent and he confirmed that in most states your insurance does not cover you if the accident occurs while you are commiting a criminal offense. She can be charged with DUI (DWI) after the fact - if she is it is likely her insurance will not cover.

Diane was complete at fault here - she was an adult, and made some very bad choices that day, the consequences of those actions were paid by many more than just her. If there is any insurance money it should go to that poor little boy - who lost his mom, sisters, cousins and most likely his aunt and uncle that day. This little boy is going to have a long and painful battle ahead of him. If there is any money that comes of this it should go to helping him.

I will be definitely tell you from my own experience when I was much, much younger that I had a boyfriend that removed the t-tops from my mustang and then proceeded without my knowing took my mustang while heavily drunk and had an awful accident that not only totalled my car by totalled an other individuals car and hurt that person also. My insurance company brought me in for depositions and in the long run I was not held accountable because it was without my knowledge. This was back in the early 80's, now days if it is in the commission of a crime such as DUI then they can deny it completely...

(respectfully snipped)

The "Disease/BS-It's A Choice" debate is always an interesting discussion, but I don't know if it's appropriate to this topic. None of us know whether or not DS was an addict. Even those of us (like me) who believe all evidence points to the fact that she was one don't KNOW and chances are we never will.

That said, I think if some law or public safety stance were implemented where admitting you are addict meant you would lose your license forever, then people would be even LESS inclined to seek help and/or treatment. I mean are all you Earth people going to tote us to meetings for the rest of our lives? ;)

Seriously, though, I think it would be impossible. The medical community considers the disease of addiction to be chronic, progressive and incurable. That doesn't mean it can't be managed, just that it doesn't ever go away.

It doesn't seem right to tell someone who has been clean for 20 years that he can't drive (even though experience shows us that being clean for that long doesn't guarantee you'll be clean forever) just because he admits he's an addict but all the other drinking and driving addicts can have a license because they aren't about to fess up to their condition.

I think a "one drunk driving offense=license gone forever" would be a better system that would catch both addicts and non-addicts alike. Still, we will NEVER in a million years see that happen because so many people drink and drive. Frankly, from a judicial point of view and a societal point of view, we don't care all that much about loaded drivers unless they hurt someone else - and then we get all high and mighty about it. IMHO.

Ouch this scares me literally to post to anything you have to say SCM since you are so poignant and dead set about set in what you say.... I had a DUI years and years ago and I am truly glad I didn't lose my license forever. Without dwelling on the issue, I believe if everyone knew ahead of time what the consequences could be "LICENSE GONE FOREVER", it truly might make a difference in this day of free fall and pure irresponsibilty!! Please excuse my spelling. This generation is so self centered and all about me, me, me... Never thinking about who comes next or whom needs help. Sorry for my rant, just getting it out!!! :chicken::behindbar:confused:

that is the thing that bothers me about this case, the call she made to her brother, IF She was a regular drinker. i don't think she would of made that call to her brother telling him she was have problems. something just dont make sense and i can put my finger on it.

Thanks, I from the very beginning have had suspisions regarding this case. I just don't seem to be able to come to grips with the enormity of what transpired let alone the gut feeling I have that there is something else going on here. Why did the cops only speak about the broken bottle of vodka in the vehicle after the autopsy report. Why didn't she listen to her brother??? Something is so wrong here and it doesn't sit well with me!!! Take Care
:banghead::banghead::behindbar

Ouch this scares me literally to post to anything you have to say SCM since you are so poignant and dead set about set in what you say.... I had a DUI years and years ago and I am truly glad I didn't lose my license forever. Without dwelling on the issue, I believe if everyone knew ahead of time what the consequences could be "LICENSE GONE FOREVER", it truly might make a difference in this day of free fall and pure irresponsibilty!! Please excuse my spelling. This generation is so self centered and all about me, me, me... Never thinking about who comes next or whom needs help. Sorry for my rant, just getting it out!!! :chicken::behindbar:confused:

Annkitty - please don't be scared of posting about a post of mine! I appreciate your joining in the discussion and all thoughts are welcomed by me and I believe everyone here, even when we might interpret things differently from each other.

It's a sad, confusing case and I sure don't have any brilliant answers - just opinions and a little bit of a different perspective than some.

I don't know if one DUI should equal license gone forever - I was just kind of thinking out loud - so many of us make a youthful mistake and don't kill anyone because of it. In this case, it wouldn't have mattered anyway - DS had no DWIs that I have heard of, but the first time she got "caught" in one was awful in terms of cost.

Annkitty - please don't be scared of posting about a post of mine! I appreciate your joining in the discussion and all thoughts are welcomed by me and I believe everyone here, even when we might interpret things differently from each other.

It's a sad, confusing case and I sure don't have any brilliant answers - just opinions and a little bit of a different perspective than some.

I don't know if one DUI should equal license gone forever - I was just kind of thinking out loud - so many of us make a youthful mistake and don't kill anyone because of it. In this case, it wouldn't have mattered anyway - DS had no DWIs that I have heard of, but the first time she got "caught" in one was awful in terms of cost.

It is truly one of the most horrifying cases I have heard about if it involves drunk/drug driving. I guess I still can't rap my arms around the fact that she would drive her own children let alone her nieces if she was wasted. Also what I think about is the time of day that she left the camp site? Quite early before these circumstances and feelings started occuring... Call me stupid, I feel something just isn't right. I always love insight to what I am thinking, however, right now I just have a hard time believing this woman did this voluntarily. Thanks for letting me air my opinion... Take Care All!!

I agree with how you feel RJAOO,

According to some reports, we have been led to believe that she was driving her brother's car. It would make some sense if she called her brother first (as it was his car and she may have or not have been familar with it, and was not feeling well as reported.) IIRC, her husband was fishing or whatever and it possibly could explain why she called her brother first, as he may have not been readily available to answer her call. Being under an influence of alcohol would have most likely impaired her, especially if she was in a car that she might have not driven on a daily basis.

All we know now is the outcome of this tragedy. We don't know if it would have made a difference who's car she was driving at the time of this horrific accident. It may not have made any difference in whatever she was driving, as the alcohol and drug testing results have shown. Lives were lost and hearts were broken. We may never know all of what happened that tragic day.

Perhaps the mysterious phone call gave her unwelcome information? Maybe she found out her husband was having an affair? I just feel that IF the phone call was so innocent, then WHY won't they reveal who it was from , what it was about?

If she called her brother and she was driving his car maybe she was having trouble with the car and was asking him questions about it? Maybe there were repairs done on the car and the brother is not reveling that he did that could be faulty. Were mechanical issues ruled out? Did the car slow down and speed up when it was driving the wrong way or did it just keep going one speed ? Was there any signs that she stepped on the breaks? Just throwing out some ideas here...

If she called her brother and she was driving his car maybe she was having trouble with the car and was asking him questions about it? Maybe there were repairs done on the car and the brother is not reveling that he did that could be faulty. Were mechanical issues ruled out? Did the car slow down and speed up when it was driving the wrong way or did it just keep going one speed ? Was there any signs that she stepped on the breaks? Just throwing out some ideas here...

I have had all kinds of thoughts running through my head but were probley never going to what happend in those last few hours

my questions
does the video at mcdonalds show anything strange going on with her drink, my one crazy thought was the drink got spiked somehow.
but my husband said if you drink that much you are going to know your drinking. so i quess that is out of the question

I guess i will never understand a person driving with 5 kids in the car drunk and high. if you want to drink stay the he** out of the drivers seat

my neighbors used to drink like fish but they never when they were drinking if they were going out they always dragged us with them to be there designated driver. they knew we didnt drink
they were nice people but they drank alot heck alot
I always thought if they ever got pulled over going to work they were going to get it anyway it had to be in there system they drank every night after work alot

i have had one experince in the family with dui

my brother in law god rest is sole, he died two years ago from cancer

he liked his beer, he did have one dui on his record,
he had one beer at lunch, on the way home from work abut 5 hrs later.
his breaks gave out on his car, he served to miss the car in front of him and hit the light pole. his laywer before told him never to submit to a Breathalyzer test,
well, he was charged he did 1 year in jail, I think he got out 3 months early for good Behavior, well, he could of got his licence back but he knew if he had a license he would get back behind the wheel, he liked his beer. he never drove again and didnt reapply for his licence but that was his choice

my mom and dad had the car checked the breaks did go out, he might of passed the test i dont know, he drank alot at night so i guess it would of been in is system
I remeber since the breaks did go out, my mom used always make sure he had money his canteen for snacks and sodas, my mom way of thinking if he was drunk he would of hit the car and not served to miss it lol

now 35 or so years ago my dad liked his beer too. but the laws were not strick back then, they used to pull my dad over and call my mom to come and get him
everybody said my dad was weekend alcoholic he never missed a day of work i dont know
I dont know if alcoholic can just stop with no help he did,
my mom gave him a choice it was her and kids or the bottle
he never drank again

That's a good thought about mcdonalds. What type of drinks and how many? Was it a huge orange drink or several orange juices? 6 people in the car, any more than 6 drinks would give LE an idea.

I have had all kinds of thoughts running through my head but were probley never going to what happend in those last few hours

my questions
does the video at mcdonalds show anything strange going on with her drink, my one crazy thought was the drink got spiked somehow.
but my husband said if you drink that much you are going to know your drinking. so i quess that is out of the question

I guess i will never understand a person driving with 5 kids in the car drunk and high. if you want to drink stay the he** out of the drivers seat

my neighbors used to drink like fish but they never when they were drinking if they were going out they always dragged us with them to be there designated driver. they knew we didnt drink
they were nice people but they drank alot heck alot
I always thought if they ever got pulled over going to work they were going to get it anyway it had to be in there system they drank every night after work alot

Okay, here I go exposing myself for the person I may be. I love all the conjecture and thoughts of people that will come out and post here!! I have lived through every bit of these posts (i.e. alcholic parents, husbands, friends, etc. etc) and I DO DRINK AT HOME ALMOST EVERY NIGHT, however, I AM SMART ENOUGH to not drive WHENEVER I DO DRINK. I work a responsible and awesome job!! Please lets not criticize and judge what you may not know... Again sorry for spelling errors. I am trying to be openly objective the what may be something we all don't know!! Thanks for just listening... Ann:boohoo::bang::bang:

I know this is useless to do as figuring out times/places won't change a thing in reality. But am just not getting out of that 'if we can turn back time' mode......so just bypass this post if it is too annoying, though probably safe to say I'm not alone in wishing we could turn back time.

Anyway, Veromi shows Diane (Hance) and Daniel Schuler living as roommates in Middletown. Don't know if that's 100% reliable but if a stop was made in Middletown it might explain the timing.

The call to her brother re running late imo suggests she stopped somewhere just prior to the call and was covering her time there re heavy traffic. Have used that excuse myself when over-shopping.

(10:40-1:pM approx)

10:40 - Left McDonalds:
Liberty to Middletown approx 40 mins. 11:20AM +/-
Made phone call to brother at 11:37AM
Received phone call from Schuler family member at 12:08PM

Arrived at Tarrytown approx 1PM
Middletown to Tarrytown, NY 57 mins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics