8 Die in Crash on Taconic State Parkway

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
At 12:56 p.m., Emma called her father back in a panic.
"What did Emma say to her dad?" Ruskin said. "She's expressing ... something is wrong with Diane. Diane is incoherent, she is confused and they are lost."
The call dropped out and Schuler's cell phone was later found on top of a wall by a bridge near the highway. "It means 99.9 percent sure she got out of the car," private investigator Tom Ruskin later said.

I wonder if she stopped to throw up? Its just my experience that unless you are a seasoned heavy drinker, at .19 BAC on an empty stomach with orange juice and tylenol, most "social" drinkers would be throwing up at that point.

Welcome truecrimejunkie!

I think that if she had gotten out and thrown up at the spot where they found the cell phone on the jersey barrier, we would have heard about it from a witness report by now. The area where the phone was found is very heavily traveled.

ETA: What I was trying to say in my head was that a woman pulled over talking on a cell phone wouldn't warrant the attention a woman pulled over and throwing up would. KWIM?

Bear with me for re-stating what we've been pondering about DS' state of mind, but something just occured to me.

Let's assume DS started drinking after she left the convenience store (11am or so). Maybe she's drinking straight vodka or maybe she's mixing it with something in a cup. By the 11:37 call, she's probably a little buzzed but not full-out drunk. Nor is she really drunk when the 12:08 calls occurs.

However, in the 48 or so minutes after, she's consumed enough alcohol to really start feeling it. Maybe she pulls over after the Tappan Zee to smoke some pot and take the edge off the drunk.

While she's out of the vehicle, Emma realizes she's not acting normally and calls her father in a panic. She drops the call when DS gets back into the vehicle.

Warren calls back and talks to DS. Now she's freaking out. Her niece knows she's messed up, and she's having to answer to her brother about it. He may not realize her she's drunk, but she realizes he's going to find out that she is, and with his kids in her vehicle.

In the remaining 30 or so minutes before the crash, she's drunk, stoned and scared enough to go into "tunnel vision". She's desperately trying to behave as normally as possible and is so focused on driving straight, she doesn't even register the traffic coming at her, until she slams in the SUV.

It's not the earlier calls that sets events in motion. It's the 12:58 call and the sudden knowledge that her secret is going to come out in a big, ugly way that is really the catalyst.

In my mind, at least, this makes the most sense of how she wound up on the Taconic for almost 2 miles driving in the wrong direction.

CatMama-what you theorize makes a lot of sense to me, it does.

But at the back of my mind is that phone call that we still don't have all the deets on. The one from a Schuler family member (not her husband) around 12 PM. That call and the lack of information we have about it just keeps tapping me on the shoulder.

And one more thing, CatMama (and I'm not knocking your idea above, because as I said, it makes sense) but the more I think about it...if she was so worried that her big ugly secret was going to come flying out of the closet when she got home, why would SHE herself admit to her brother she was having trouble seeing?

She could have taken the phone from Emma and at least TRIED to sound like nothing was wrong if she was at all concerned about everyone finding out she'd been hiding this secret addiction. Especially, if a few miles down the road she is going to try and behave as normally as possible. Just seems like she could have tried to "behave normally" on the phone w/ the bro rather than admit to there being a problem.

Is the autopsy complete? I know they said she had XX ounces of undigested ETOH in her stomach, but was there a complete autopsy or just the toxicology? Because my father passed away from an undiagnosed brain aneursym and hadn't been feeling well for about 2 weeks. The "doctor" he was seeing never tested him for anything, just said he was having shoulder pain. At some point during that 2 weeks my father - who was a tea-toataling pharmacist - drove himself home on the wrong side of the road. For several miles apparently. They lived in West Texas, so there wasn't alot of traffic, but still.....and no one thought to look into it. I only found out about it after he was already gone. My mother said he had been having headaches and shoulder pain. The reason I bring this up is DS was attempting to purchase Tylenol or Advil, which leads me to believe she possibly had a headache?? Added to the slurred speech, confusion etc I wonder if she could have had a leaking aneursym???? I wonder if she might have been drinking the 1.75 L of Vodka for pain? Leaking aneurysms are verrryyy painful. I read in one article that Ann Scott, the campground owner said she saw Diane off, and if she had been drunk at that point, she (Scott) would have smelled it????.... A leaking, about to burst aneursym could explain alot.

http://www.brain-aneurysm.com/contents.html
Snipped and BBM

"Brain Attack and Aneurysm Alert:

A "brain attack" is the brain's version of a heart attack, and it occurs when the blood supply to a region of the brain is lost ("stroke" or cerebral infarction). Symptoms of a brain attack may be short-lived (< 24 hrs in duration as occuring in a transient ischemic attack or TIA), or may be part of a full (completed) stroke. They are typically sudden in onset. Symptoms may include one or more of the following: visual impairment like a darkish curtain coming across the eye (amaurosis fugax), or partial or complete blindness involving one or both eyes (e.g., central retinal artery thromboembolism, or retinal venous ischemia, or occipital lobe stroke), impairment of clarity of speech (dysarthria) or language function (dysphasia or aphasia), impairment of limb muscle strength (paresis or paralysis, hemiparesis, etc.) or sensory disturbance (e.g., hemianesthesia). Other symptoms include a sudden spinning sensation (vertigo), gait imbalance, loss of consciousness, incoordination, double vision, etc., depending on the region of brain involved."

Probably looks an awful lot like falling down drunk if you didn't know the difference. MOO

CatMama-what you theorize makes a lot of sense to me, it does.

But at the back of my mind is that phone call that we still don't have all the deets on. The one from a Schuler family member (not her husband) around 12 PM. That call and the lack of information we have about it just keeps tapping me on the shoulder.

I relied on a statement in an earlier post (within the last two days) that said that the 12:08 call was a return call from Warren about the 11:37 call. It was part of an article that detailed what Shuler's PI figured out in his investigation. I took it as fact since it was an article. If it's not true, then it still leaves the 12:08 call as a mystery.

IWannaKnow-I am so sorry for what your dad went through! The autopsy is complete. And they found no medical reason why this accident happened. At this point everything points to the alcohol and THC in her system.

Bear with me for re-stating what we've been pondering about DS' state of mind, but something just occured to me.

Let's assume DS started drinking after she left the convenience store (11am or so). Maybe she's drinking straight vodka or maybe she's mixing it with something in a cup. By the 11:37 call, she's probably a little buzzed but not full-out drunk. Nor is she really drunk when the 12:08 calls occurs.

However, in the 48 or so minutes after, she's consumed enough alcohol to really start feeling it. Maybe she pulls over after the Tappan Zee to smoke some pot and take the edge off the drunk.

While she's out of the vehicle, Emma realizes she's not acting normally and calls her father in a panic. She drops the call when DS gets back into the vehicle.

Warren calls back and talks to DS. Now she's freaking out. Her niece knows she's messed up, and she's having to answer to her brother about it. He may not realize her she's drunk, but she realizes he's going to find out that she is, and with his kids in her vehicle.

In the remaining 30 or so minutes before the crash, she's drunk, stoned and scared enough to go into "tunnel vision". She's desperately trying to behave as normally as possible and is so focused on driving straight, she doesn't even register the traffic coming at her, until she slams in the SUV.

It's not the earlier calls that sets events in motion. It's the 12:58 call and the sudden knowledge that her secret is going to come out in a big, ugly way that is really the catalyst.

In my mind, at least, this makes the most sense of how she wound up on the Taconic for almost 2 miles driving in the wrong direction.

I think this scenario makes total sense. Also I thought the pain she was in was due to an abscessed tooth.

I relied on a statement in an earlier post (within the last two days) that said that the 12:08 call was a return call from Warren about the 11:37 call. It was part of an article that detailed what Shuler's PI figured out in his investigation. I took it as fact since it was an article. If it's not true, then it still leaves the 12:08 call as a mystery.

Gotcha. I'm going to find a link to one of the articles that mentioned this incoming phone call from a Schuler. Be back soon.

And one more thing, CatMama (and I'm not knocking your idea above, because as I said, it makes sense) but the more I think about it...if she was so worried that her big ugly secret was going to come flying out of the closet when she got home, why would SHE herself admit to her brother she was having trouble seeing?

She could have taken the phone from Emma and at least TRIED to sound like nothing was wrong if she was at all concerned about everyone finding out she'd been hiding this secret addiction. Especially, if a few miles down the road she is going to try and behave as normally as possible. Just seems like she could have tried to "behave normally" on the phone w/ the bro rather than admit to there being a problem.

That was odd--I didn't see the last two paragraphs of your post or I would have answered both questions. Sorry about that!

The only thing I can think is that she was grasping for a non-drunk reason for her behavior. As in, Emma already dropped dime on her (not acting right, slurring), so she started coming up with plausible reasons for her weird actions. She knows she's wasted and she figures it's only a matter of time until someone else picks up on it.

Which also makes me think that when he said "stay there and I'll come get you", she ditched the phone and took off. If she didn't have the phone anymore, she didn't have to worry about Emma trying to answer when her father called back.

I'm just trying to put myself in her shoes. If I'd gotten more hammered than I meant to (due to the tooth ache, five kids in the van, traffic), then got found out, I'd flip out.

How could I explain to my brother, and eventually husband, that I was drunk with kids in the vehicle? Even if I think I can get home safely, I now have to explain my weird behavior while I'm still noticably intoxicated.

Taconic Crash: Diane Schuler's Final Hours

Tom Ruskin, the president of CMP Group Investigations, has been hard at work trying to piece together the final moments of the crash that has horrified the nation and left Schuler's loved ones baffled.

At 11:37 a.m., Schuler's niece Emma, 8, called her father, Warren Hance, Schuler's brother, to tell him they were running late. At 12:08 p.m. the Hances called back and had what has been described as a "normal" conversation with Schuler. But over the next 48 minutes, something went terribly wrong. At 12:56 p.m., Emma called her father back in a panic.
"What did Emma say to her dad?" Ruskin said. "She's expressing ... something is wrong with Diane. Diane is incoherent, she is confused and they are lost."
The call dropped out and Schuler's cell phone was later found on top of a wall by a bridge near the highway. "It means 99.9 percent sure she got out of the car," private investigator Tom Ruskin later said.
Schuler's brother called the police to ask them to issue an Amber alert. But by then, it was likely too late, according to Ruskin.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=8350259

ETA Don't know why there are links in article but can't seem to remove them.

So wish someone stopped to help Emma.

Sleuthy--this is the post with the info on the 12:08 call.

Still searching for a link re that other incoming call (and of course now I can't find it) but I hear you, CatMama. It's so difficult to try and put ourselves in someone else's position to try and figure out why they acted/reacted in certain ways.

I do totally agree with you re the phone though. That phone was left there because she didn't want to deal with any further phone calls. Coming in or going out.

Going off what you speculate, I could see her taking the phone from Emma and playing it off like nothing was wrong, thinking to herself that by the time she got home with them she'd have a better handle on what she was feeling. Maybe sweating it somewhat, that it had been a close call but I think she thought maybe she'd get home unscathed and that by then she'd have her "issues" under control. She could pass the whole thing off when they got home like "oh yeah, I had a little headache but it was really nothing. Little Emma was just overreacting. I feel great!"

FINALLY...I found something:

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009908080343

"Ruskin, the family's investigator, said Diane Schuler called her brother at 11:37 a.m. to report all was well but that she was running behind schedule.

Ruskin won't discuss details of an incoming call that Diane Schuler received at 12:08 p.m. and lasted for two minutes, nor would he identify who the caller was.

At 12:58 p.m., Ruskin said, Schuler made a call to her brother's phone that lasted three minutes. At 1:02 p.m. there was another call to Warren Hance, this one lasting for eight minutes."

This must have been one of the first mentions of it because in later articles they did admit it was a Schuler family member and specifically stated it was not her husband.

ETA: But they have yet to identify exactly who it was or what was discussed. Just find that strange.

I completely understand why you would question the completeness of such tox testing. Is it possible though that the four to eight weeks that was initially reported refers to the wait for the testing to be done by the lab? And that perhaps because of the enormity that this case took on...all the press, the devastation to 4 families, etc. that the case moved up to the head of the line and the actual testing itself doesn't take very long?

Also, thanks Capoly, for posting this morning's link to the story done on GMA. What I found interesting about that report is this is the first time I have seen it mentioned that when Warren Hance called the police re Diane, he asked that an Amber Alert be issued. That just seems strange to me. An Amber Alert? I suppose it could have been because he thought that would get the most immediate response in terms of getting help to Diane and the kids.

But does anyone else think asking for an Amber Alert was a bit strange? Or am I reading way too much into that?

BBM
I would suppose in a state of panic he may have asked for an Amber Alert but it is up to Law Enforcement to submit the request if it fits the criteria for an Amber Alert.
Based on his conversation with his sister, Did he think Diane would not heed his advice and stay put? Did he think or realize based on the conversation she was in no condition to drive but had a bad feeling she was going to?

FYI

http://amber.ny.gov/Guidelines/
AMBER Alert Guidelines
The New York State AMBER Alert Plan can be activated when an investigating law enforcement agency confirms that:

1.An abduction of a child (under the age of 18) has occurred, and
2.The child is believed to be in danger of serious bodily harm or death, either due to the actions of another or due to a proven mental or physical condition.

Even if formal activation criteria have been met, activation may be impractical if available information is not specific enough and/or an extended period of time passed since the disappearance
Notes:
1."Confirms" is defined as having reasonable cause to believe that a child has been abducted. While confirmation is usually established through eyewitness accounts, eliminating other possibilities through investigation can also be used to reasonably conclude that a child has been abducted.
2.Familial abductions qualify only if a child is endangered by the actions of the abducting family member.
3.Whenever the NYSP COMSEC declines to issue an AMBER Alert, requesting agencies are referred to the NYS DCJS Missing and Exploited Children Clearinghouse (MECC) for possible issuance of a Missing Child/College Student Alert and to other NYSP investigative resources.

Upon receipt of an "AMBER Alert Submission Form" from a Police Agency and determining that the case meets activation criteria, NYSP COMSEC takes the following action...."

This last part I find very useful to know

When a missing child or college student is deemed to be endangered, but the case does not meet AMBER Alert activation criteria, an alternative alert system is available.

Known as a Missing Child/College Student Alert, information can be distributed electronically to every police agency in New York State, NYS Thruway travel plazas and toll barriers, broadcasters, Alert subscribers and others within minutes. Information is also placed on the NYS DCJS website. Unlike an AMBER Alert, station managers decide if and when to broadcast information.

Yes, an Amber Alert is very strange. It must be that he had good reason to believe that the children were in iminent danger. The story that Diane didn't feel well does not rise to the level of requesting an Amber Alert. We need to know what was discussed in that 9 minute phone call. Must have been a very distressing alarming conversation.

BBM
True.
IMO That conversation triggered panic in him and he must have thought the children were in danger.
We have heard of many calls to 911 for the most ridiculous reasons..he may have thought..children, danger..Amber Alert..

It is positively frightening. There are lots of trees camouflaging the freeway and i see only one sign that presumably says do not enter it is set off the road. Like I said, what i am used to are HUGE signs that sit right on top of the road entrance, not off on a shoulder but in your face. often two on top each other and on both sides of the entrance/exit. I have an arrow pointing to what I assume is a Do Not Enter sign.

taconicexit-1.jpg

I think it was Capoly that posted earlier that she may have thought she was turning somewhere else due to her stupor. I totally get that.

Southcitymom if you are here, what do you think about her level of functionality as compared to the amount of alcohol she had ingested?
That doesn't even look like the entrance for the Taconic off 287. That's the road she would have merged onto after going through the tolls at the bridge. There are big signs for it. The Taconic is a beautful road...not a freeway by "western" standards. Did they say she got off and was trying to turn around?

Hey RR, and others who posted, no hard feelings? I *seriously* cannot understand that sort of "fun" (lol) but it's great that you do it! And I honestly don't know anyone who camps for such short periods such a distance away, so I was genuinely curious. You guys have fun on your next trip, and drive home safely! :blowkiss:
Not me...my idea of camping would be sleeping on the floor of a hotel! LOL

Has her exact route been established? Unless witnesses have come forward that saw her on Saw Mill River Pwky, was under the impression that the reenactment route given by police was speculative based on time frame fitting between verifiable location near Tarrytown exit and site of accident.

ETA
Police try to retrace Diane Schuler&#8217;s route
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/police-try-to-retrace-diane-schuler-s-route-1.1339067
Thanks...I should have read this sooner. So she took the Sawmill? That's not any easy road to manage straight folks. So she goes North and decides to find the Taconic? Intersections like that are up and down the Taconic. If you're not on the "right side" of the highway (think road), you could mistake it for a pull out. I wouldn't even call these intersection "ramps" in a lot of places.

Sorry if this has been discussed:

But while the parkway functions as a "limited access" type of highway, safety is an issue. The parkway was designed for a more pastoral era and is in need of modernization. At-grade crossings and closely-spaced access points are inconsistent with the parkway's function and introduce unexpected conflicts with other vehicles.

http://www.dutchess29.org/state_documents/Taconic_Task_Force_Report_2_from_PoJo.html

I absolutely believe she was freaking out that she was going to get caught and I absolutely think that played into her already confused state. I also believe that her focus, once on the Taconic, was tunnel visioned - she was just trying to get home and not get caught

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
539edtje