8 Mitigating Factors Proffered by Def Team

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I seriously don't see ANY mitigating factors at all.

How can art be a factor?? WTH? And it's not even anything original.

I also think not having any family members help out is really going to make the jury wonder what's up.

ITA. This is just IMO but I always consider an artist to be a person with exceptional creativity & imagination. Can she draw well, sure. But none of her "art" drawings are original but are copied from images, mostly ads. I don't see her drawings as something with artistic value. Did she sell any paintings prior to murdering Travis? I don't think so. She only sells them now because of her crime & her supporters. An artist should have the ability to create something original, & thought provoking. This is just IMO, but she is no artist.

1. Age = 27 ………………………………........... She's a fully formed adult who enjoyed adult perks like voting, credit, sexual freedom, mobility etc. Just because she's not willing to take adult responsibility for her actions doesn't make her age a mitigator. At age 27:
-Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. dropped out from his job at General Electric to become a full-time writer.
-Henry David Thoreau went off for two years to live alone in a cabin at Walden Pond.
-Cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin became the first person in space.
-Memphis millionaire Frederic W. Smith, whose father built the Greyhound bus system, founded Federal Express.
-Scottish botanist David Douglas discovered the Douglas fir.
-Ernest Hemingway published his first novel, The Sun Also Rises.
-Boston dentist William Morton pioneered modern anaesthesiology after learning that inhalation of ether will cause a loss of consciousness.
-kaRN was the Art Director at Colorization, was a single Mother to a thriving 4 yo boy, was on the Board of Directors at the Daily Bread Food Bank and volunteered 2 full days a month at her childs Montessori School.
-Other WSers here were accomplishing greatness, finishing school, raising beautiful children, running businesses, etc. and fighting for justice for souls they never knew.
-CKJA meticulously planned and executed an innocent mans execution.
http://www.museumofconceptualart.com/accomplished/ 0 weight as a mitigator
2. Lack of Criminal History………………………Lack of a criminal record perhaps but lying under oath and perjury are crimes the jurors got to witness first hand. Lots of evidence of deviant behavior starting at a very young age. CKJA wasn't charged with shoplifting to feed a hungry baby. She was charged and convicted of the ultimate crime with cruelty added for no reason except to satisfy her inner demon.
0 weight as a mitigator
3. A Good Friend …………………………………To Patti W when they were 13 years old? Patti's Dad paid for JA's bridesmaid dress and her travel expenses to be a good friend to her good friend. Didn't something happen to these wedding photographs and CKJA couldn't give them to Patti? I seem to recall testimony or a police interview to that effect. In any case, these wedding photos CKJA took are not the documentation of the wedding Patti sold to the media. Was she a good friend to DB while she was destroying his credit? Was she a good friend to BJ when she invaded his privacy and did god knows what else? Was she a good friend to TA? 0 weight as a mitigator
4. Lacked Support from Family……………..….At the age of 27 CKJA shouldn't expect to receive financial support from her family and yet she received it. She also receives constant emotional support and for the last 5 months, she's received it at the expense of her 2 younger siblings, her gravely ill father and her aged and infirm grandparents. Her Mother came to assist her move. Her parents paid for and picked up her escape vehicle. She was financially and emotionally abusive to her chosen partner DB which no doubt had ramifications for his young son. From the photo evidence of her Grandparents home and the state of her bedroom there, it doesn't appear she even pulled her own weight in the home, let alone assisted her Grandparents by cleaning the house or exterior. Is staging a robbery at their home, stealing electronics, cash and a lethal weapon supportive of those supporting her? NO. 0 weight as a mitigator
5a. Suffered Abuse & Neglect as Child ………..So says the convicted liar to explain away her slaughter of an innocent man. Projection isn't abuse.
0 weight as a mitigator
5b. Suffered Abuse & Neglect as Adult ………..So says the convicted liar to blame her actions on the victim she slaughtered. Projection isn't abuse.
0 weight as a mitigator
6. Tried to Make the Best of her Life …………No she didn't. She uses and throws away. Trying to make the best of incarceration doesn't count. If she had been attempting to make the best of her life, she would never have considered murder an option. 0 weight as a mitigator
7. Consistently Tried to Improve Herself……… Her looks maybe....consistently. Jumping from one religious sect to another or from one new age philosophy to another isn't so much evidence of striving for self improvement but evidence of trying to find oneself. Education never figured into CKJA's self improvement plans nor did formal art training. What CKJHA consistently did was latch onto others like a parasite hoping their attempts at self improvement and growth would rub off on her. She's accomplished most of her self improvements while in jail out of boredom, not personal motivation.
0 weight as a mitigator
8. Talented Artist ……………………………….. CKJA has a hobby she enjoys and delusions of grandeur nothing more IMO. Her talents wouldn't get her accepted into an accredited Art School I can assure you of that. Artists conceptualize and create original works. They don't copy and trace magazine ads and frame them thinking they're worthy of hanging beside the works of great masters. After testifying about her friends gallery and her plan to hang her work there beside the Monet, the jury should get a real kick to see evidence of the great tracing talent. Any HS in North America has similar if not far better Art mounted on Bristol board and taped to their walls and the jury and knows it.
0 weight as a mitigator
:moo:

It's sad that the OP is trying to have a discussion of mitigating factors and a bunch of joke one-liners and put downs are some of the responses received. :banghead:

Of the mitigating factors listed I don't think any of them are enough to overcome the aggravating factor. Because Jodi lies, any alleged abuse has not been corroborated, so that could be yet another farce. The jury believes nothing that she says. And having talents pointed out might just remind this jury that Arias had options in life. She didn't depend on or need Travis and had no reason to kill him.

What about her bad boob job...would that be a mitigating factor?
:floorlaugh:

The ability to get the boob job for less than the cost of the implants themselves is probably definately a mitigator.

A good friend: Not to Travis. She murdered him. No proof of any note-worthy sacrifice for anyone such that it would substantiate this claim of having been a good friend.

Suffered Abuse and neglect as a child: Not deprived of a decent shelter, good food, education. Parents allowed her to participate in an Costa Rica exchange program. No proof of any phsyical abuse. To turn the tables on her she kicked a poor dog.

No proof of any abuse and neglect as an adult. How does neglect fit in when one is a mentally and physically sound adult? Makes no sense. Grandparents were kind enough to allow her to stay in their home with her own private bedroom. She is the one who has played the role of an abuser by harassing, stalking and terrorising others.

Talented Artist: Used that excuse to lure the victim into a shower after which she stabbed him 28 times, slit his throat and shot him. She then attempted to destroy evidence from a camera that did not belong to her! What reverence for her friend and her chosen field (photography!). *Rolls eyes*

Tried to make the best of her life? Consistently tried to improve herself? How so? Has not contributed to society in any worthwhile manner. No proof of being a charitable person in any way. If improving herself = murdering an ex-bf in a most barbaric manner then this woman is not fit to be let out into society ever again. If improving herself post murder = lying to everyone, making false accusations against the victim and showing no remorse then again this is a beast that must be caged till the time comes to terminate it.

i think the 'abuse as an adult' claim is a backhanded slap at TA----AGAIN, which the jury has rejected. who ELSE did she claim abused her as an adult? nobody i can think of.

as for 'improving' herself.....wasn't that what PPL was supposed to be about? and yet she earned practically nothing while working for PPL. why? because she didn't work at it. a job like that requires hustle. the only hustle JA knows about is the one she pulled on TA, trying to convince him she was The One for him through crazy sex and manipulation.

the whole list of mitigators is a joke.

Nothing eats away at her. She loves that she killed Travis. She loves that she hurt his family and got to hear how so.

She is enjoying every second of this. I truly believe that.

Agreed. She even seemed to be laughing when Travis's brother and sister were giving their victim statements. I found that really offensive but not unbelievable from her. She is the epitome of EVIL.

The only reason she had no criminal history is because she was never reported for trespassing.
This is worse than pathetic!
I agree with JA. There is nothing.

No reason for her to speak either. The jury will not believe anything she says now.
moo

Re BBM- Oh but there is reason my friend. It's the last big dramatic scene in the movie in her mind. Imagine the feigned emotion and really bad acting as she stands and addresses the 15 people who got their verdict wrong while she spews more venom. This is her moment of twisted glory.
She'll speak to tell us who she really is. PLEEEEEEEZE. Like the convicted is that deep. I bet the public walks out while jurors bite their lips to suppress the laughter . :floorlaugh:

I must have misunderstood what this thread was about. I laid out my thoughts on "Lack of Family Support". Juan Martinez can easily lay this out. :facepalm: Danged it I do and danged if I don't.....OMG

Your answer I read was spot on and fit in perfectly. Dang- keep doing what yuse doing !!! :seeya:

I heard her father on his interview telling Flores about Jodi's Mom "blowing $2,500" to fly out to AZ rent her a U-Haul and move her back to Yreka. He mentioned that there were many times over the years that Mom would give Jodi money without his knowing about it. He intimated that Mom would sneak her money often.

Yes, something must have happened then to make her mother spend so much money that they could ill afford to come and bring her back to Yreka, I wonder why we don't know what led up to that.

This or similar would be included in my final close if I were Nurmi/Willmott:

---
Maybe the only true mitigating factor is simply that she is a human being; aside from the usual faults and failings of such, she also has mental impairments, although the psychologists don't agree on what her mental issues are, she certainly has them, and plenty of them.

She didn't ask for them or intentionally give herself the mental/personality problems that she has, medical science does not know if she was born with them or they developed throughout the early stages of her life.
As an adult she did have the responsibility of seeking help, but if her mental state is such that she believes she is normal and it is others that are not, she may never think the problems lie within herself. And even if she had sought help, medical science currently says it has little in the way of treatment for her conditions.

If a society is judged by how it treats the worst of its own, can this same community mourn its beloved brother Travis, taken so young and viciously, while in the next breath condemn this misfit of a human to death?

Do we embrace the hypocricy of a death penalty? Doling out what we ourselves say is the worst offense one can commit upon another? How can the State participate in the same behavior it forbids?

The State does make the death penalty available to you, and even if you feel her crime deserves this ultimate punishment, I impore you to find mercy in your hearts and give her a life sentence.

Although this was the most heinous crime one can inflict on another, it was an isolated incident, as her lack of a criminal history attests. However with a life sentence, society will be protected from her and hopefully some day medical science will develop treatments so that a person like her will never find herself so out of control as to take another human being's life.
----

I have no idea what either Nurmi/Willmott will actually say.

It would be helpful if JA makes a statement (instead of testimony), accepts full responsibility, speaks with honesty of her remorse and sorrow for the life she took and for the family that she has permanently wounded, and flat out begs for them to spare her life.

But based on how this trial has evolved, I expect she'll testify and give JM another opportunity to rend her limb from limb. Hopefully her plan will be to make JM drag the truth out of her, and she will let him. But I don't see a nice quiet ending to this, nothing about it has been nice or quiet.

I heard her father on his interview telling Flores about Jodi's Mom "blowing $2,500" to fly out to AZ rent her a U-Haul and move her back to Yreka. He mentioned that there were many times over the years that Mom would give Jodi money without his knowing about it. He intimated that Mom would sneak her money often.

JA's parents didn't do enough to control/confront JA when younger, just based on what I know. Other than the pot-on-the-roof episode, is there any documented proof showing they sought help in dealing with JA? She habitually stayed out all night - any missing person reports filed with police? She was a chronic truant - any records of their meetings with school admins discussing consequences for that? In rebuttal JM produced a JA email to Travis re her history of knocking in doors and putting holes in walls. Those are crimes, right? What consequences/plan of actions followed her pot bust? Did she have a juvie record/probation officer? etc. etc.

I know parents are limited by their kid's choices, but they're not limited re their responses to those bad choices. What proof is there that there were any? I think it's likely her parents were terrified of what she might do, and especially what she might say/lie about if they approached le/family svcs./school counselors for help. I bet her siblings have genuine PTSD because of the misery JA caused in that household, and the parents were thrilled when she left, but guilty and enabling ever since because they failed to what they should have when it might have made a difference. Mrs. Arias told Det. Flores of JA's friends calling her in the middle of the night seeking help for her. Where's the evidence that the Arias ever involved mental health pros in JA life then or earlier when it might have helped? Sorry for the rant but if all they did was wring their hands helplessly and practice the "Law of A - wishing will make it so" phllosophy while young JA ran amouk and created havoc, they deserve no respect imo.

If anyone is going to save CMJAA, it's Darryl.
It is really compelling that she could be in a 4 year relationship and not display violence or abuse the child.

He knows she's nuts, tho.
Maybe he was too busy getting loaded all the time so he never understood to what extent.

JA's parents didn't do enough to control/confront JA when younger, just based on what I know. Other than the pot-on-the-roof episode, is there any documented proof showing they sought help in dealing with JA? She habitually stayed out all night - any missing person reports filed with police? She was a chronic truant - any records of their meetings with school admins discussing consequences for that? In rebuttal JM produced a JA email to Travis re her history of knocking in doors and putting holes in walls. Those are crimes, right? What consequences/plan of actions followed her pot bust? Did she have a juvie record/probation officer? etc. etc.

I know parents are limited by their kid's choices, but they're not limited re their responses to those bad choices. What proof is there that there were any? I think it's likely her parents were terrified of what she might do, and especially what she might say/lie about if they approached le/family svcs./school counselors for help. I bet her siblings have genuine PTSD because of the misery JA caused in that household, and the parents were thrilled when she left, but guilty and enabling ever since because they failed to what they should have when it might have made a difference. Mrs. Arias told Det. Flores of JA's friends calling her in the middle of the night seeking help for her. Where's the evidence that the Arias ever involved mental health pros in JA life then or earlier when it might have helped? Sorry for the rant but if all they did was wring their hands helplessly and practice the "Law of A - wishing will make it so" phllosophy while young JA ran amouk and created havoc, they deserve no respect imo.

She left home at 17. By all accounts she was very secretive about her life. There is little you can do to help an adult who likely never admitted to needing it.

The only reason she had no criminal history is because she was never reported for trespassing.
This is worse than pathetic!
I agree with JA. There is nothing.

No reason for her to speak either. The jury will not believe anything she says now.
moo

She also stole Travis' engagement ring, his journals, slashed his tires twice & Lisa Andrews' tires, broke into Lisa's home, triggering her alarm, broke into Travis' home countless times, stalked Travis.

Oh--and burglarized her own Grandparents to steal the .25 Auto

She left home at 17. By all accounts she was very secretive about her life. There is little you can do to help an adult who likely never admitted to needing it.

Yes, but I was addressing the time she was a minor living in their home and, as such, their responsibility.

If anyone is going to save CMJAA, it's Darryl.
It is really compelling that she could be in a 4 year relationship and not display violence or abuse the child.

He knows she's nuts, tho.
Maybe he was to busy getting loaded all the time so he never understood to what extent.

He'll likely lie for her. There was an account of how Jodi conducted herself when she worked with Darryl--they both lied about him being her manager and NOT dating her until he was no longer her supervisor. She was a waitress & he was Food & Beverage manager & she got preferential treatment. One day she wanted to switch a shift w/another waitress, was told no & she kicked a hole in the wall in the bathroom. It was on the State vs Jodi Arias FB page a while back--I don't have the specific link.

Yes, something must have happened then to make her mother spend so much money that they could ill afford to come and bring her back to Yreka, I wonder why we don't know what led up to that.

This or similar would be included in my final close if I were Nurmi/Willmott:

---
Maybe the only true mitigating factor is simply that she is a human being; aside from the usual faults and failings of such, she also has mental impairments, although the psychologists don't agree on what her mental issues are, she certainly has them, and plenty of them.

She didn't ask for them or intentionally give herself the mental/personality problems that she has, medical science does not know if she was born with them or they developed throughout the early stages of her life.
As an adult she did have the responsibility of seeking help, but if her mental state is such that she believes she is normal and it is others that are not, she may never think the problems lie within herself. And even if she had sought help, medical science currently says it has little in the way of treatment for her conditions.

If a society is judged by how it treats the worst of its own, can this same community mourn its beloved brother Travis, taken so young and viciously, while in the next breath condemn this misfit of a human to death?

Do we embrace the hypocricy of a death penalty? Doling out what we ourselves say is the worst offense one can commit upon another? How can the State participate in the same behavior it forbids?

The State does make the death penalty available to you, and even if you feel her crime deserves this ultimate punishment, I impore you to find mercy in your hearts and give her a life sentence.

Although this was the most heinous crime one can inflict on another, it was an isolated incident, as her lack of a criminal history attests. However with a life sentence, society will be protected from her and hopefully some day medical science will develop treatments so that a person like her will never find herself so out of control as to take another human being's life.
----

I have no idea what either Nurmi/Willmott will actually say.

It would be helpful if JA makes a statement (instead of testimony), accepts full responsibility, speaks with honesty of her remorse and sorrow for the life she took and for the family that she has permanently wounded, and flat out begs for them to spare her life.

But based on how this trial has evolved, I expect she'll testify and give JM another opportunity to rend her limb from limb. Hopefully her plan will be to make JM drag the truth out of her, and she will let him. But I don't see a nice quiet ending to this, nothing about it has been nice or quiet.

I think Jodi was beginning to unravel. I believe her move back to Yreka was an attempt to pull herself together. I think her Mom was alarmed by the state she was in and dropped everything to come to AZ and help get her back home. Unfortunately the distance is likely what caused her to snap.

BBM
Good points.

In July 2008 vid w. Mama Arias & Det. Flores (youtube link on post #1), re discovering the pot growing on the roof,
she said (paraphrasing) we called the police so they could do something to scare her.

It appears Mama & Papa could do nothing themselves that would 'scare' their 8th grade daughter into stopping criminal behavior?
They needed the police to do that?

Sounds familar? Oh, it wasn't their fault?

Not saying in 2008 they could 'do anything' w. JA being 27 y/o, but at age 13-14?

Yes, but I was addressing the time she was a minor living in their home and, as such, their responsibility.

Gotcha' ... IMO all teenagers go through a phase of being narcissistic little sh**-heads to some extent. She just never grew out of it.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BG89
Back