A Stolen Life - Jaycee's New Book

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks for the quick run-down of the book. I was struck by one thing you said "Jaycee doesn't explain a lot about her current relationship with her mother or family. She thanks them in the end of the book, and indicates that her distance from them should not be considered a reflection of her feelings towards them (? loosely paraphrased as book is not presently in hand). I assume then that she doesn't live with them and doesn't identify very strongly with them"

I thought everything that I have seen and read have said that Jaycee lives with her mother and half sister Shayna in northern California. And from her recent ABC interview and other articles it appears that Jaycee and Terry are inseparable. So I am a bit confused by what was said there regarding her relationship with her family.

Just bought this for my Kindle tonight and read the first chapter. Now I am dying to send Jaycee a pine cone from my beautiful town, along with a loving letter of support. Does anyone know of an address I could send it too?

Just bought this for my Kindle tonight and read the first chapter. Now I am dying to send Jaycee a pine cone from my beautiful town, along with a loving letter of support. Does anyone know of an address I could send it too?

I imagine that you could send it to the book publisher to forward to her... or the Police Dept that helped recover her would know where to find her.

In regards to her statement in the book about not being with family -- I read somewhere in the book that she opted not to move back to LA but rather to stay in Tahoe. The part about her distance from her family is in the thank yous at the end of the book... It could just be the info is outdated and things have changed since publication. :)

Jaycee lives with her mother and her two children since she was rescued.The part about her distance from her family is about her other relatives, uncles, aunts(besides her aunt Tina) and cousins.

I ordered it from amazon.ca and it arrived yesterday - I read it through entirely, and here are my thoughts on it:

-> I found her affect throughout the book to be rather flat!! That is to say that the tone of the book seemed, almost... emotionless in most parts! I suppose though, that considering the content, and what she survived this is most appropriate. I don't know that I'd expect her tone (even in writing) to be any different!!

-> She included excerpts from a journal she kept as a child while imprisoned. Though monotonous to read - this part illuminated her true desire to go home, how she missed her mom and family and friends, and how she felt so torn, and unable to help herself!!

-> I too was left wondering about how her children experienced their prison. If they weren't surprised to hear all their mother had lived through, I had hoped to find out why not? Perhaps Philip told them such while Jaycee was on an outting with Nancy? I too was deeply concerned that he may well have sexually abused one or both children as well. My fears were heightened when I read about how Nancy and he would drive around near parks and schools, and Nancy would get the girls to do the splits etc... so Philip could take pictures / video secretly from another viewpoint. This was happening while Jaycee was incarcerated, so I don't think I can believe that he ever really changed his ways -- two small girls (by the way, Jaycee says in her book that Philip said he "needed" a girl.....that he hoped her baby would be a girl etc.... two small girls don't seem to have stood a chance with him. If they did, perhaps it might have been only b/c they were his children? Some pedophiles cannot get excited about their own children / family... only others (its less personal that way?).

-> Jaycee doesn't explain a lot about her current relationship with her mother or family. She thanks them in the end of the book, and indicates that her distance from them should not be considered a reflection of her feelings towards them (? loosely paraphrased as book is not presently in hand). I assume then that she doesn't live with them and doesn't identify very strongly with them.

-> she forgot her mother's face. She found thinking of her mother so painful, that she blocked those thoughts most of the time. I was surprised (deeply!!) to learn that a child abducted at 11 could, and did indeed forget her mother's face!! I never realized this was a possibility even, though now I see it so clearly!! It makes me wonder how many other older abductees might be out there (Jacob Wetterling et al, perhaps)... who are too frozen with fright, and numb to step up and announce themselves!! How many can't recall home life in great detail prior to their abductions? I think this book really opened my eyes to the potential for the human mind to build walls to protect itself as best it can!!

-> I was surprised that she never used her children's real names, only their initials. I know she wants to protect their privacy -- I get that -- but I would have liked to know the names, as then I'd have better understood how they GOT their names which she touches on in the book.

-> I would like to have known more about her ongoing relationship with her kids. How are they coping? Have they changed their names to protect their privacy (Jaycee doesn't like to risk them being exposed, so has issues going to school functions with them etc).... how does she cope with the issues they have from being captive??

I couldn't put the book down, and I thank her for writing it, and sharing as much as she did! I hope one day, her children (one or both) write their own book regarding their own experiences as prisoners in that environment!!
I read in the book that Philip picked the names, except he gave Jaycee two choice for the younger daughter's middle name (how big of him!:banghead:). It was previously rumored that she had picked them from kids characters like Strawberry Shortcake or My Little Pony and that the names were Angel and Starlit (Gabriella) or something like that. I would assume she changed their names when she applied for Social Security cards for them. I know I would!

I imagine that you could send it to the book publisher to forward to her... or the Police Dept that helped recover her would know where to find her.

In regards to her statement in the book about not being with family -- I read somewhere in the book that she opted not to move back to LA but rather to stay in Tahoe. The part about her distance from her family is in the thank yous at the end of the book... It could just be the info is outdated and things have changed since publication. :)
Really? She's back in Tahoe? I didn't know that. I thought she chose to stay somewhere closer to Antioch, possible a small town in the Gold Country is what I was guessing. If so, I'm glad she had the courage to go back to Tahoe without being traumatized...

Really? She's back in Tahoe? I didn't know that. I thought she chose to stay somewhere closer to Antioch, possible a small town in the Gold Country is what I was guessing. If so, I'm glad she had the courage to go back to Tahoe without being traumatized...

I don't know actually -- I just *thought* that was where she was staying. I might be wrong!

I finished the book tonight. I thought the journal entries she shared from the years when they were held captive really captured her 'voice' at that time so well. I could hear anger, frustration, sadness... all kinds of emotions in those entries.

One thing I hadn't known until I read the book (I didn't see the TV interview) was that she had all of that computer access and was doing all that work with his printing business. Can you imagine thinking back and realizing that your wedding invitations or business cards were done by Jaycee while she was in captivity?

Jaycee lives with her mother and her two children since she was rescued.The part about her distance from her family is about her other relatives, uncles, aunts(besides her aunt Tina) and cousins.

I gathered from the book that Jaycee's mother, sister, and aunt had moved to southern California sometime during the time she was being held. After she was free, she decided she didn't want to live in that area.

Here's my favorite quote from the book:

Given the right tools, even a family that has been torn apart by unimaginable circumstances can learn to build a new path together.

~~Jaycee Dugard​

I gathered from the book that Jaycee's mother, sister, and aunt had moved to southern California sometime during the time she was being held. After she was free, she decided she didn't want to live in that area.

The family is originally from Southern California,Terry left Tahoe in 1998 and moved back to live with her sister Tina in Riverside. When jaycee was found her mother moved with Jaycee and her daughters in Northern California.

The family is originally from Southern California,Terry left Tahoe in 1998 and moved back to live with her sister Tina in Riverside. When jaycee was found her mother moved with Jaycee and her daughters in Northern California.

That may be, but I've only read the book and haven't seen the interview or followed anything else about her. If she mentioned her mother moving back in the book, I might have missed that.

That may be, but I've only read the book and haven't seen the interview or followed anything else about her. If she mentioned her mother moving back in the book, I might have missed that.

No, is not in the book, but it has been previously reported in People magazine and other newspapers.

Thanks for all the posts guys; I really do appreciate it :) :blowkiss:
I still did not get to the book I bought a week ago.

I wonder if JC reads here?
I wonder if she had googled her name and is feeling all the love for her
that the public has.
I bet Terry is reading in many places. :):):)
Most of all I hope they realize how they have given so many
a full range of emotions, wonder, smiles, and blessings.

JC is one of a kind - she is an angel - here to teach us - As Helen Keller did.
there are not many JC's and in 10 years I hope she will give us something more to read I am thrilled her book is going into reprint.

I just finished reading Jaycee's book "A STOLEN LIFE"............it is hard to read the abuse she endured.
Please support her and her daughters.
I am so glad she decided to write this book because we as the public need to be on the look for odd things.
There could be child in shed!
And the LE and probation need to read her story to be an extra EYE for missing children.
God Bless You Jaycee.
You certainly won.
No one will ever take your strong will away! (((HUGS)))

My mom borrowed a copy of the book and mentioned to me, before she read it, that I might want to read it after her. After she read it, she called back and said she didn't want me to read it, because she thought it would be too upsetting. Jaycee and I are the same age, and Mom said she couldn't stop drawing parallels between me at that age and the horrors Jaycee was describing. I read it despite Mom's warning, and she's right, it's very graphic. I also kept thinking, when she'd include journal entries from her time in captivity, "Wow, that's when I was graduating from high school... working at summer camp... dating this guy..." etc. It's kind of surreal.

I'd be curious to read an updated version of the book ten years or so from now, once she's had more time to process it all and see in what direction her life goes from here. Definitely a worthwhile read though - parts of it, like Phillip not even allowing her to write her real name in her own journal, broke my heart.

Also - a good, related fiction book is Room, by Emma Donoghue, which I read a few months ago. It's told from the perspective of a five-year-old boy, the son of a woman who was kidnapped as a teenager, born into captivity. The first part of the book details his life in Room, where he and his mom live, and as the book goes on, they plan an escape and try to assimilate into life outside of Room. It's obviously fiction, but it's fascinating.

I bought the book several weeks ago because I wanted to do something to support Jaycee and keep putting off reading it. From what I have seen here and read other places I already have a "mindful" of what that little girl endured, from 11 years until she was set free from her captors. My heart is full of admiration and gladness for her that she was not completely "broken" and her own heart was not made hard and bitter.

Hoping to spare myself of the details, I suppose, I am letting the book sit there. Usually, I can tell myself, "If 'they' have the courage to endure and survive it, I should have the courage to read their story". (That was my philosophy when I read several books about the Holocaust., for instance)

If anyone would like to have the book and might not be able to afford it right now please let me know and I will send it on, after I decide to read or not to read. :heart:

I bought the book several weeks ago because I wanted to do something to support Jaycee and keep putting off reading it. From what I have seen here and read other places I already have a "mindful" of what that little girl endured, from 11 years until she was set free from her captors. My heart is full of admiration and gladness for her that she was not completely "broken" and her own heart was not made hard and bitter.

Hoping to spare myself of the details, I suppose, I am letting the book sit there. Usually, I can tell myself, "If 'they' have the courage to endure and survive it, I should have the courage to read their story". (That was my philosophy when I read several books about the Holocaust., for instance)

If anyone would like to have the book and might not be able to afford it right now please let me know and I will send it on, after I decide to read or not to read. :heart:

I haven't purchased the book yet either. It's strange, I know she wrote it and is selling it and should be able to earn a boatload from it. But somehow, I have this weird sense of wanting to preserve her privacy!

Also, I kind of don't want to know the details because it's so upsetting. I guess I already do to some degree. Parts of the police report were released so I can gather what horror she went through. Maybe I just don't want to know more.

I'm glad though, that she is making money off her story and inspiring so many with her resilience and strength. I hope her life from here on out just continues to improve every day.

I haven't purchased the book yet either. It's strange, I know she wrote it and is selling it and should be able to earn a boatload from it. But somehow, I have this weird sense of wanting to preserve her privacy!

Also, I kind of don't want to know the details because it's so upsetting. I guess I already do to some degree. Parts of the police report were released so I can gather what horror she went through. Maybe I just don't want to know more.

I'm glad though, that she is making money off her story and inspiring so many with her resilience and strength. I hope her life from here on out just continues to improve every day.

Hi all....I purchased the audio version and listened to it on a trip a couple of months ago. I was surprised at her very soothing and calm tone. I'm sure she probably did a lot of stops and starts, but it was almost as if she tried to get the reader through the hard parts all the while assuring them she was ok. She'd bring you back to the present now and then to relieve the pressure of the moment. I knew about the story and I watched her interviews, but after listening to Jaycee tell her story, I just fell in love with her, what a strong, beautiful young woman.

The sexual aspect is of the story is a very small part of her book and it's all in the beginning - for the most part her's is a story of survival and adapting to her situation by living in the moment and finding joy, yes joy, in small things. She talks about being a young mother and needing a break from her children sometimes....she remained creative and even helped Garrido find a smidgen of success in a business venture that, imo, would probably have been a miserable failure otherwise.

I think her book is important to read in order to understand why children of abusive parents still love their abusers, and why women in abusive relationships sometimes stay.

My mom borrowed a copy of the book and mentioned to me, before she read it, that I might want to read it after her. After she read it, she called back and said she didn't want me to read it, because she thought it would be too upsetting. Jaycee and I are the same age, and Mom said she couldn't stop drawing parallels between me at that age and the horrors Jaycee was describing. I read it despite Mom's warning, and she's right, it's very graphic. I also kept thinking, when she'd include journal entries from her time in captivity, "Wow, that's when I was graduating from high school... working at summer camp... dating this guy..." etc. It's kind of surreal.

I'd be curious to read an updated version of the book ten years or so from now, once she's had more time to process it all and see in what direction her life goes from here. Definitely a worthwhile read though - parts of it, like Phillip not even allowing her to write her real name in her own journal, broke my heart.

Also - a good, related fiction book is Room, by Emma Donoghue, which I read a few months ago. It's told from the perspective of a five-year-old boy, the son of a woman who was kidnapped as a teenager, born into captivity. The first part of the book details his life in Room, where he and his mom live, and as the book goes on, they plan an escape and try to assimilate into life outside of Room. It's obviously fiction, but it's fascinating.

I've just started reading Room....and I thought of Jaycee also.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbelle
Back