Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #191

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I haven't heard one logical reason, but am very much looking forward to experts weighing in about it.

IMO MOO
Judging by this tech article, I suspect that someone attempted to ping the girl's phone at that time in attempts to locate it.

I am confused: are you suggesting she may have issued her rulings on the preliminary hearing matters already, but we're not privy to them? EG: perhaps they're under seal or gag (unsure the difference so using both and hoping one is correct). WHy would a ruling on them be kept from the general public? Is that the norm?
I think the OP meant that she is about to release her rulings and this status hearing is to make sure both sides are on track to go to trial. I think impending means about to happen/expected soon. So if the judge was about to issue her rulings on those other matters it makes sense to have a status conference shortly after that time. I'd say between now and the 23rd or well even sooner, I'd say between now and maybe Friday this week is what I am thinking. So that both sides have time to prepare for the 23rd based on what her rulings on the other matters are.

Judging by this tech article, I suspect that someone attempted to ping the girl's phone at that time in attempts to locate it.

Yes for sure. When the girls first were known to be missing there were unsuccessful attempts to ping Libby’s phone by the service provider at the request of the grandparents.

That’s way too simple of an explanation though.

We need killers in masks going back in the dead of the night to switch the phone back on While searchers are out looking for the girls.

IMHO

Do you have a link stating that text messages came in on Libby's phone at 4:33AM?

I have only heard that it pinged or that it made contact with a tower at that time.

Hold please....Looking for an approved source from the 3-day hearings.

Do you have a link stating that text messages came in on Libby's phone at 4:33AM?

I have only heard that it pinged or that it made contact with a tower at that time.

Let's stick with 4:30 a.m., not 4:33. They may be rounding or I may be remembering wrong.

ETA: I don't know why that link looks so weird. It looks like it included my search terms. It does work, though.

the phone info is here:

In their fourth request for a hearing on the search warrant, the defense says that Indiana State Police troopers were receiving information about the location from German's cellphone from AT&T during the search for the girls. German's phone was connecting with a cell tower in the area on Feb. 13 but stopped at 5:44 p.m.

The defense says in court records that police believed "the information which they were receiving from AT&T indicated that the cellphone was no longer in the area or no longer in working condition." But the phone made contact with the tower again at 4:33 a.m. on Feb. 14. The girls' bodies were found about eight hours later.

Defense says newly-obtained phone location evidence in Delphi murders points to other suspects — not Richard Allen

It comes from the Defense in one of their attempts to get the SW thrown out. So, I'm waiting to get the skinny from trial because they aren't a source I trust.

Does anyone remember what day the defense said that if they had to go into detail about that one item that they would need to have a separate hearing about that? I don’t recall if it was about the confessions or the third-party stuff ? Just endlessly spectating what the hearing could be about lol

the phone info is here:

In their fourth request for a hearing on the search warrant, the defense says that Indiana State Police troopers were receiving information about the location from German's cellphone from AT&T during the search for the girls. German's phone was connecting with a cell tower in the area on Feb. 13 but stopped at 5:44 p.m.

The defense says in court records that police believed "the information which they were receiving from AT&T indicated that the cellphone was no longer in the area or no longer in working condition." But the phone made contact with the tower again at 4:33 a.m. on Feb. 14. The girls' bodies were found about eight hours later.

Defense says newly-obtained phone location evidence in Delphi murders points to other suspects — not Richard Allen

It comes from the Defense in one of their attempts to get the SW thrown out. So, I'm waiting to get the skinny from trial because they aren't a source I trust.
The phone expert Cecil discussed it at the 3 day hearing if MS covered that expert?

the phone info is here:

"Libby’s cell phone was quiet for more than 12 hours before suddenly turning on again and receiving text messages at 4:30 the next morning, some seven hours before the bodies were discovered in a wooded area along Deer Creek."

I'm reading tech articles that state that a message sent to more than one recipient will be shown as "Delivered" even if only one recipient's phone receives it.

Perhaps, if it were actually texts being shown as "delivered" the issue is it was a message with more than one recipient (I have a "Fam Jam" message group whereby I can contact all 4 of my kids and my hubby at same time). Also quite possible that once LE retreived the phone and put power to it that all the messages came in with the timing that the service provider stored them for delivery to the dead phone.

I'm sure we'll get an explanation at trial that is more reasonable than Odinists sneaking back into the crime scene in the middle of the night, lifting the body up, turning the cell phone back on, then sneaking away again unheard, unseen .... just like they were invisible men.

No it doesn’t because there are a loads of reasons that happened and I bet you the phone didn’t power back on and nobody moved the phone. MOO
I agree. This seems like the most far-fetched detail to me. I have worked with phones and apps, and the pedometer will activate even if you move your hand up and down. It will count a few steps even if you are in a train because of the movement. In theory it should only count steps but you bet that if you had the phone in your pocket and someone moved your body it would 100% count a few steps at least.

It seems so very unlikely to me that it would stop counting steps 18mins after the BG video without being switched off, switch off/run out of battery some time later, only to be what? Switched on again 12 hrs later for a single second? How do you even manage to turn on a phone for a single second? That would require some fast reflexes.

If the 4:30am "blink" is considered a manual turn on (and we have ways of knowing that in most phones) it is way more likely that the phone was in the same place since those 18mins post BG video and then someone went there at 4:30am and turned it on. For a second.

...very unlikely but still more likely than the phone moving away and then back without recording any steps.

All IMO

Does anyone remember what day the defense said that if they had to go into detail about that one item that they would need to have a separate hearing about that? I don’t recall if it was about the confessions or the third-party stuff ? Just endlessly spectating what the hearing could be about lol

I do not remember hearing that.

What I read was "made contact with the tower"

Which can happen in many different ways. My phone goes to sleep if it's at 1% battery, and then "idles" for many hours, killing off its network connection, 3g, 4g, WiFi everything. Before it turns off for good, 4, 5 hrs later, the screen lights up, which means that it disables the idle mode, which in turn means it would have network connection for that tiny amount of time before it turns off for good.

That's... I suppose my informed opinion on tech things? I do have android but a lot of smartphones work similarly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Egladva
Back