Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #196

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

My fear all along with these so call "confessions" of RA is that when you drill into them and learn the details, they are going to be quite underwhelming. In this case, the guard watching Allen in his cell says he overheard Allen apologizing out loud for murdering Abby. Like I said, quite underwhelming. This is not a "confession", this is a guard in a noisy prison claiming he overheard Allen talking to himself. If I were a juror, I would have kinds of doubt about this. How many other of these "Confessions" are going to have problems if they are looked at closely? IMO

I wasn't speaking about the entire legal system's attributes or inadequacies per se. I was speaking to the culpability of it's attorneys that are bad actors, be it by conscious choices, by inadequacies of their legal talents or both. Just some very real questions I have that have come up while following this case.
Yeah I have those same questions about all the parties in this proceeding.

My fear all along with these so call "confessions" of RA is that when you drill into them and learn the details, they are going to be quite underwhelming. In this case, the guard watching Allen in his cell says he overheard Allen apologizing out loud for murdering Abby. Like I said, quite underwhelming. This is not a "confession", this is a guard in a noisy prison claiming he overheard Allen talking to himself. If I were a juror, I would have kinds of doubt about this. How many other of these "Confessions" are going to have problems if they are looked at closely? IMO
I am most interested in drilling into the following confessions made by RA: verbal confessions (multiple) to his wife KA via recorded phone call. verbal confession to his mother via phone call (also recorded I believe). confession to warden written in his own hand.

I agree that any confessions "overheard" by inmates or guards will and should be given less weight. but even if they are given less weight, I do think it appropriate to factor them in with those verbal and written confessions the jury may give more weight to. They will become a part of the totality of evidence against him. JMO

His defense referred to them as ‘confessions’. Their only argument was what caused the ‘confessions’ to occur.

Do his attorneys have any culpability in the length of time RA has waited in custody for his trial to start?

Oh....let me respond to that! A big YES

Richard Allen never had to wait in prison/jail this long. It was a CHOICE made by either him, his attorneys, or family members influence. At any time he could have filed for a speedy trial.

(B) Defendant in Jail – Motion for Early Trial.​

A defendant held in jail on a pending charge may move for an early trial. If such motion is filed, a trial must be commenced no later than seventy calendar days from the date of such motion except as follows:

(1) delays due to congestion of the court calendar or emergency are excluded from the seventy-day calculation;

(2) the defendant who moved for early trial is released from jail before the expiration of the seventy-day period; or

(3) an act of the defendant delays the trial.

If a defendant is held beyond the time limit of this section and moves for dismissal, the criminal charge against the defendant must be dismissed.

I assume that RA likes prison as he is the one insisting on these questionable lawyers to represent him.

I mean at what stage does he think to himself they are not doing a good job here and are ruining his chances. For a so-called innocent man, he seems content enough to let his team keep him in prison for the foreseeable future. MOO

Oh....let me respond to that! A big YES

Richard Allen never had to wait in prison/jail this long. It was a CHOICE made by either him, his attorneys, or family members influence. At any time he could have filed for a speedy trial.

(B) Defendant in Jail – Motion for Early Trial.​

A defendant held in jail on a pending charge may move for an early trial. If such motion is filed, a trial must be commenced no later than seventy calendar days from the date of such motion except as follows:

(1) delays due to congestion of the court calendar or emergency are excluded from the seventy-day calculation;

(2) the defendant who moved for early trial is released from jail before the expiration of the seventy-day period; or

(3) an act of the defendant delays the trial.

If a defendant is held beyond the time limit of this section and moves for dismissal, the criminal charge against the defendant must be dismissed.

Once JG removed the counsel from the case without a hearing, there was a long delay as the matter went to the SCOIN. This was an error on JG’s part imo (lack of hearing). This meant new counsel had to be appointed and learn the case / begin a strategy and then another delay to transfer it all back to the original counsel. They did file for speedy and then waived it at some court appearance due to reasons I no longer recall.

This is a mess on all sides. It’s unreasonable to focus solely on one party imo when there have been so many issues throughout the proceedings.

[SBM for focus]
It’s unreasonable to focus solely on one party imo when there have been so many issues throughout the proceedings.
Now I can agree with this. It IS indeed unreasonable to focus solely on the perceived faults and issues of one party while steadfastly ignoring those of the other.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
username_not_found
Back