Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #197

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So, if this: administrative number of the Carroll County Sheriff’s Office at 765-564-2413.
Is also this: Anyone who knows about the pictured man or has any information is asked to call a special tip line set up for this case: 844-459-5786.
why wouldn't the D just say he called the CCSO instead of specifying the tip line?
I would not want to try to guess why the D said - or didn’t say - something. They shouldn’t have been saying much of anything publicly, due to the gag order.

Yet, here we are.

jmo

Here are the rest of the P's objections:
2. That the State objects to the Jury going out to view those areas requested by the Defense for the following reasons:
a. The terrain where the bodies were found is very difficult to traverse and would be dangerous for the jury to get to.
b. That traveling to the where the bodies were found and to the opposite end of the Monon High Bride would involve encroaching on two private landowners property.
c. That it would require a substantial amount of time and resources to take the jury to those areas while ensuring that they are sequestered from the public and outside influences.
d. That the areas of where the bodies were found along with the site of the old CPS building are substantially different from the time the crimes occurred.

That the State intends to introduce into evidence demonstrative exhibits, maps of the various areas, and drone footage of the various areas to show the jurors the various places outlined in the Defense’s request.

I would not want to try to guess why the D said - or didn’t say - something. They shouldn’t have been saying much of anything publicly, due to the gag order.

Yet, here we are.

jmo
I am NAL but I think court filings don't fall under the gag order.

Order Issued
Court orders the State's Motion for Order Prohibiting the Parties, Counsel, Law Enforcement Officials, Court Personnel, Coroner and Family Members from Disseminating Information or Releasing any Extra-Judicial Statement by Means of Public Communication and the Defendant's Verified Motion for Change of Venue from the County set for hearing January 13, 2023 at 10:00 am in Carroll Circuit Court
Judicial Officer:
Gull, Frances -SJ
Order Signed:
12/01/2022​
[td]
12/01/2022
[/td]​

What would it do to the case if a crowd of protesters showed up the day of the 'jury field trip' to the crime scene waving posters and shouting 'hang him', or 'murderer', and the like? That'd be a problem I would think.

Then there's media.

I guess they could try and block off the area, shut the road down, prevent anyone having access while the jury is on site.

Whose liability insurance would cover the trip surely would be determined beforehand, I would think :)

Ha! Somebody's would launch a drone and do a flyover, well, maybe not.

I can see them walking the paved trail to the bridge, but access beyond the bridge likely not, unless via the private lane that passes under the bridge. Access to the actual site where the girls were found, I highly doubt.

Agree. Tip line was in effect while the girls were still missing.

Photo of Abigail Williams and Liberty German
by: Brady Allard

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 / 12:57 AM EST
Updated: Feb 14, 2017 / 01:04 AM EST

Based on the information given by family and friends, police do not believe foul play is involved and have been given no information that would lead them to believe the girls are in any immediate danger, other than exposure to outside elements.

Officers looked into issuing an Amber Alert, but were informed this incident does not meet the criteria.

Anyone with information which they feel may lead police to the girls, should contact 911 or the administrative number of the Carroll County Sheriff’s Office at 765-564-2413.

Maybe RA called DD, if he knew him? I guess it's a possibility?

So, if this: administrative number of the Carroll County Sheriff’s Office at 765-564-2413.
Is also this: Anyone who knows about the pictured man or has any information is asked to call a special tip line set up for this case: 844-459-5786.
why wouldn't the D just say he called the CCSO instead of specifying the tip line?
Because maybe it was a chance meeting and the narrative of RA calling into sounds better for him?

Here are two of the P's arguments against the jurors viewing the crime scene.
My question to him would be: Why would the viewing be unfair or not proper?

4. That any benefits of the Jury visiting these areas is outweighed by the dangers such a trip presents to the Jury and to the fairness of trial.
5. That the State
does not believe it is proper to have the Jury view the scene or the other various areas.

IMO there could be a compromise on this motion but I doubt that will happen. I see a denial in the future.
The only reason I can think of is the logistics of getting them to the area on private property and the cooperation of property owners causing problems?

I suppose it's possible the way in and out go by areas the prosecution doesn't want viewed as to not confuse the jury?

I am NAL but I think court filings don't fall under the gag order.

Order Issued
Court orders the State's Motion for Order Prohibiting the Parties, Counsel, Law Enforcement Officials, Court Personnel, Coroner and Family Members from Disseminating Information or Releasing any Extra-Judicial Statement by Means of Public Communication and the Defendant's Verified Motion for Change of Venue from the County set for hearing January 13, 2023 at 10:00 am in Carroll Circuit Court
Judicial Officer:
Gull, Frances -SJ
Order Signed:
12/01/2022​

[td]
12/01/2022

[/td]​
Fair enough.

Thing is, the D submits court documents filled with opinion. “Dulin was sloppy”. “Dulin screwed up.”

Therein lies the issue. I do not rely on D’s statements as factual, nor try to figure out why they leave in (or omit) information from their documents.

They are working to free their client, and will spin narrative accordingly.

jmo

2. That the State objects to the Jury going out to view those areas requested by the Defense for the following reasons:
a. The terrain where the bodies were found is very difficult to traverse and would be dangerous for the jury to get to.
b. That traveling to the where the bodies were found and to the opposite end of the Monon High Bride would involve encroaching on two private landowners property.
c. That it would require a substantial amount of time and resources to take the jury to those areas while ensuring that they are sequestered from the public and outside influences.
d. That the areas of where the bodies were found along with the site of the old CPS building are substantially different from the time the crimes occurred.

That the State intends to introduce into evidence demonstrative exhibits, maps of the various areas, and drone footage of the various areas to show the jurors the various places outlined in the Defense’s request.

For me, the two reasons bolded above are the most important issues.

1) One cannot disciminate when selecting jurors as to physical ability or mobility. Just getting to the "bowl" itself on RL's former private property - without traversing the river itself. If only one juror cannot reasonably access it, then none should. That all goes to fairness and impartiality with all jurors seeing / visiting /hearing the same evidence as their juror peers.

2) The crime scene is substantially different that it was in 2017 when Abby Williams and Liberty German were brutally murdered. The building where RA parked has been torn down. The path paved. In fact, it is so substantially different that one can neither cross the bridge to reach the platform where the last photo of Abby was taken nor access the point of the kidnapping captured on video in the manner the perp and the murder victims did. Their routes followed that day are extremely important to the both the witness sightings, the timeline and the context and surroundings in which these crimes happened. They simply cannot be 'revisited' or re-enacted on the ground. The changes make re-tracing RA's steps - and Abby & Libby's steps - impossible.

The scene is actually so radically changed that the Defence Team has stated it would require 3 hours to visit it. RA was only on the trails-proper from 1330 - 1530hrs as he himself 'tipped' in. That's a mere 2 hours. When the crime scene today would required 33% more time just to drive around from one side of the creek to the other multiple times to visit the relevent scenes (in the order that RA and the Girls ended up there) in person without even committing 2 murders while out there .... is misleading and not contexual to the actual commission of the crime that day on 13th February 2017.

I can hear/imagine/envision the D-Teams closing arguement now and suspect that I see where they are attempting 'to go' with the requested visit: "Well ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, you visited the scenes of the crime and it took you three hours to do so, but the Prosecution is alledging that our client was at all these places too. Even if our client was on the trail from 1330-1530 as they alledge, there's no way possible that he managed to keep two fit and healthy teenge girls under his control in that terrain AND kill them in two hours!! You know that SODDIs must have done it as it is simply impossible for him to have done so. You must acquit."

Which, of course, is bunk. And yes, I fully imagine them tossing in the SODDI during closing arguements despite being DENIED because "ooops too late" to do anything about that now Judge Gull.

But, should Judge Gull rule that a crime scene visit can happen, my military planner mind has been at work since the moment the Defence filed for the visit (wondering what they were up to too) figuring out how to pull off a visit that all jurors could participate in to see/visit the various points of importance in their proper order, effeciently and within the 2 hour timeframe - all without getting their feet wet. Perhaps I'll send it off to the P-Team.

Last edited:
Do I think the D actually think the judge will allow the jurors view the scene ? No.
However, they likely will be successful in getting this much admitted. That's probably the best they could hope for.
I wonder if the P will show video of the road that runs under the bridge.

3. That the State intends to introduce into evidence demonstrative exhibits, maps of the various areas, and drone footage of the various areas to show the jurors the various places outlined in the Defense’s request.

The only reason I can think of is the logistics of getting them to the area on private property and the cooperation of property owners causing problems?

I suppose it's possible the way in and out go by areas the prosecution doesn't want viewed as to not confuse the jury?
I can’t imagine property owners having a problem with it providing insurance liability issues are clearly sorted and any incidents that may arise as a result are a problem for the State in terms of insurance. Mooo

For me, the two reasons bolded above are the most important issues.

1) One cannot disciminate when selecting jurors as to physical ability or mobility. Just getting to the "bowl" itself on RL's former private property - without traversing the river itself. If only one juror cannot reasonably access it, then none should. That all goes to fairness and impartiality with all jurors seeing / visiting /hearing the same evidence as their juror peers.

2) The crime scene is substantially different that it was in 2017 when Abby Williams and Liberty German were brutally murdered. The building where RA parked has been torn down. The path paved. In fact, it is so substantially different that one can neither cross the bridge to reach the platform where the last photo of Abby was taken nor access the point of the kidnapping captured on video in the manner the perp and the murder victims did. Their routes followed that day are extremely important to the both the witness sightings, the timeline and the context and surroundings in which these crimes happened. They simply cannot be 'revisited' or re-enacted on the ground. The changes make re-tracing RA's steps - and Abby & Libby's steps - impossible.

The scene is actually so radically changed that the Defence Team has stated it would require 3 hours to visit it. RA was only on the trails-proper from 1330 - 1530hrs as he himself 'tipped' in. That's a mere 2 hours. When the crime scene today would required 33% more time just to drive around from one side of the creek to the other multiple times to visit the relevent scenes (in the order that RA and the Girls ended up there) in person without even committing 2 murders while out there .... is misleading and not contexual to the actual commission of the crime that day on 13th February 2017.

I can hear/imagine/envision the D-Teams closing arguement now and suspect that I see where they are attempting 'to go' with the requested visit: "Well ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, you visited the scenes of the crime and it took you three hours to do so, but the Prosecution is alledging that our client was at all these places too. Even if our client was on the trail from 1330-1530 as they alledge, there's no way possible that he managed to keep two fit and healthy teenge girls under his control in that terrain AND kill them in two hours!! You know that SODDIs must have done it as it is simply impossible for him to have done so. You must acquit."

Which, of course, is bunk. And yes, I fully imagine them tossing in the SODDI during closing arguements despite being DENIED because "ooops too late" to do anything about that now Judge Gull.

But, should Judge Gull rule that a crime scene visit can happen, my military planner mind has been at work since the moment the Defence filed for the visit (wondering what they were up to too) figuring out how to pull off a visit that all jurors could participate in to see/visit the various points of importance in their proper order, effeciently and within the 2 hour timeframe - all without getting their feet wet. Perhaps I'll send it off to the P-Team.
They suggested it could be done in UNDER 90m total. Ya may need to adjust your plan accordingly.

2. I hope they do find a way to visit the scene. If it’s so sure RA did this then why wouldn’t the State want to hammer home how trapped the kids were?

Last edited:
Do I think the D actually think the judge will allow the jurors view the scene ? No.
However, they likely will be successful in getting this much admitted. That's probably the best they could hope for.

3. That the State intends to introduce into evidence demonstrative exhibits, maps of the various areas, and drone footage of the various areas to show the jurors the various places outlined in the Defense’s request.
IMO the Prosecution has no qulams with showing the road under the bridge simply because all the girls were forced to do was cross it (it would show in the drone footage regardless). The road as it relates to the crime and timeline was crossed by the girls on their way into and accross the creek and into the bowl to ther demise. No one was driven out on that road and no one was driven back to the scene later/overnight on that road. It's merely a road IMO.

IMO, I also belive that the evidence will show this to be true at trial.

We're half way there from when I started counting down at D-30.

D-15

They suggested it could be done in UNDER 90m total. Ya may need to adjust your plan accordingly.

2. I hope they do find a way to visit the scene. If it’s so sure RA did this then why wouldn’t the State want to hammer home how trapped the kids were?
My plan is fine as it's not based on the D-Team. It's based on the facts we've learned and timings put forth thus far in sworn testimony and photo, video and witness sightings/timings.

How would the D arrive at he called a tipline if he called DD directly? Eg: DD’s home or cell number surely weren’t set up as any sort of tipline, were they? Moo.
I'm speculating, if RA knew DD. I don't take anything the D has said in the FMs as truth. It's been shown too many times to be inaccurate. MO

Here are two of the P's arguments against the jurors viewing the crime scene.
My question to him would be: Why would the viewing be unfair or not proper?

4. That any benefits of the Jury visiting these areas is outweighed by the dangers such a trip presents to the Jury and to the fairness of trial.
5. That the State
does not believe it is proper to have the Jury view the scene or the other various areas.

IMO there could be a compromise on this motion but I doubt that will happen. I see a denial in the future.

Seems to be neither fair nor proper to have the jury view a crime scene area that’s quite different now than at the time the crime occurred. It defeats the entire purpose of enabling the jury to envision various scenarios presented by the prosecution and/or defence. It would be a waste of time and energy to explain or demonstrate how it was like back then compared to the present, and it poses the potential to cause needless confusion for the jury.

JMO

I think it's an, of course the P will have video, pictures and maps of the crime scene area. I wonder if they did that LiDAR 3-D mapping?

Did you watch the video posted a few pages back of how the portion of bridge that’s been improved appears now? The end part where the girls were trapped is barricaded and it appears the rotting ties are even more dangerous than how they appeared in 2017. Sometimes it’s impossible to wind back a time clock to see how things physically appeared back then, there just isn’t always way.

JMO

I wonder how why the State says the area where the bodies were found (i.e. the crime scene) are now "substantially different from the time the crimes occurred"? Has the area been cleared? I am curious about why this was said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raquel222
Back