Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #198

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well for comparison, Leilani Simon is about to go on trial, and her defense team is filing motions in limine, too. Her trial's due to start Monday. Jury selection began two days ago.

MOO
Has that trial been delayed like Delphi's?

Another defence filing that I am only 60% sure I understand:

Defendant’s Motion to Incorporate Evidence Presented at Aug. 1 Pretrial Hearing into Offer of Proof at Trial​

Motion in limine
Um, not a lawyer, but the whole thing about 'substance' makes me think it's basically 'you said we didn't have any substance to our third party/conspiracy angle in the pretrial hearing but we think we did so that's enough for us to present it based on your wording about proof, and if you deny this we're going to drag things out and delay things throughout the trial'.

I don't think it's going to go down well.

I am not a lawyer, etc, and MOO.

Gotta love that Google AI, sometimes they just hit the nail on the head. At the very end of the definition/description of "in limine"...

"While motions in limine can be a useful tool for trial lawyers, they can also waste time and money if filed improperly."

It wasn’t filed improperly.

As always, JMO.

Um, not a lawyer, but the whole thing about 'substance' makes me think it's basically 'you said we didn't have any substance to our third party/conspiracy angle in the pretrial hearing but we think we did so that's enough for us to present it based on your wording about proof, and if you deny this we're going to drag things out and delay things throughout the trial'.

I suppose it all depends on if they have any new evidence to bring forwards? The Judge did say that she is willing to hear them out so that's fair enough, MOO

TMS just announced a book:

Shadow of the Bridge: The Delphi Murders and the Dark Side of the American Heartland​

Rbbm:

Most importantly, in working closely with the German and Williams families, Cain and Greenlee tell the stories of who these two warm, bright, and promising girls were to all who cared for them.

Hopefully this means that the book is going to have Abby and Libby in the heart of it.
Where are the proceeds from their book going? Do we know if they plan to donate them to the victim's loved ones or some cause the kids would have really wanted to contribute towards (eg: a donation in their memory)? I acknowledge authors are not required to do this, however, I always think it is a lovely gesture when they (true crime authors in general) profit off the misery of the families left behind (moooo).

Where are the proceeds from their book going? Do we know if they plan to donate them to the victim's loved ones or some cause the kids would have really wanted to contribute towards (eg: a donation in their memory)? I acknowledge authors are not required to do this, however, I always think it is a lovely gesture when they (true crime authors in general) profit off the misery of the families left behind (moooo).
That's something I also wondered, because they do mention how this tragedy has negatively impacted the families as well as local businesses etc. Ultimately I am just content the families are involved. jmo

Another defence filing that I am only 60% sure I understand:

Defendant’s Motion to Incorporate Evidence Presented at Aug. 1 Pretrial Hearing into Offer of Proof at Trial​

Motion in limine

That motion is just the defense telling the court that they do plan to make an offer of proof regarding 3rd party culpability at trial, and that rather than recall all the witnesses to testify in court during the offer of proof, the defense would ask the court to defer to what was said during the hearings. It's another expediency and efficiency motion.

That motion is just the defense telling the court that they do plan to make an offer of proof regarding 3rd party culpability at trial, and that rather than recall all the witnesses to testify in court during the offer of proof, the defense would ask the court to defer to what was said during the hearings. It's another expediency and efficiency motion.
Thank you so much for putting this in plain English for us! Sorry to keep asking questions, but I wonder if normally, restating of the same evidence that got shot down has a real chance of being accepted without any new evidence, or if it is more of a formal motion to create a trail for appeals? I get the gist of the motions, it is the reasoning behind them that is obscure to me, but I totally get that some steps are not for me to understand but for the court to operate efficiently.

I suppose it all depends on if they have any new evidence to bring forwards? The Judge did say that she is willing to hear them out so that's fair enough, MOO
This wording makes me think they're just going to present the same stuff from the prelim as the proof.

Screenshot_20241012-074033.png
(Sorry about the cap, I couldn't work out how to copy the text from the pdf on my phone.)

Thank you so much for putting this in plain English for us! Sorry to keep asking questions, but I wonder if normally, restating of the same evidence that got shot down has a real chance of being accepted without any new evidence, or if it is more of a formal motion to create a trail for appeals? I get the gist of the motions, it is the reasoning behind them that is obscure to me, but I totally get that some steps are not for me to understand but for the court to operate efficiently.
It is both. They are making a record of exactly how these issues all occurred and the order that they did, but they will be attempting to have 3rd party culpability introduced in some form.

It is both. They are making a record of exactly how these issues all occurred and the order that they did, but they will be attempting to have 3rd party culpability introduced in some form.
I'm tipping my hat to all attorneys and paralegals out there. The US legal system and the verbiage/procedurs it requires keeps confounding me, and I've written bibles on the driest technical matters.

I hope this all gets resolved early on in the trial and everything progresses smoothly.

Edit: once more, thank you for explaining

Seems that the motion states opposition to the State calling prison personnel and inmates to testify to Allen's mental state while behind bars because those individuals are not trained to make assessments on someone's mental state.

jmo
I agree with them here actually. The State can certainly ask the people what they directly heard RA say - no problem with that. But if they're asked to assess RA's mental health / thought process etc... I'd take issue with that. I'd agree that they're not really qualified to assess that formally, and I'd worry their uneducated opinions might affect the jury in a negative way. MOOOOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KazPsi
Back