ABC News - Guilty of Checkbook Journalism?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You know I did some basic math on this and at a rate of 25% tax, which taxes had to have been paid, right? the figure that the deal was FOR had to have been in the $250,000.00 range, because the defense states that they received $200,000.00 and that HAD to have been AFTER taxes were deducted from the deal. So I am thinking that original figure we all had heard was actually correct...

Check out the daily update for today where it is stated that GA and CA received an additional $20K from another media outlet.

SPJ Issues Major Statement Condeming 'Checkbook Journalism'
March 24, 2010 5:09 pm ET by Joe Strupp

The Society of Professional Journalists issued a damning statement Wednesday blasting recent examples of "checkbook journalism."

"On Thursday, during a pretrial hearing in Orlando, Fla., to determine if Casey Anthony - accused of murdering her daughter - is indigent, her attorney revealed that ABC News paid Anthony's family $200,000," the statement said.

It went on to quote SPJ Ethics Committee Chairman Andy Schotz as saying: "Paying someone while covering them breaches basic journalism ethics. ABC's failure to disclose this business relationship as part of its coverage the last two years made the breach worse."

The entire statement is below:

more at the link:
http://mediamatters.org/strupp/201003240053

SPJ Issues Major Statement Condeming 'Checkbook Journalism'
March 24, 2010 5:09 pm ET by Joe Strupp

The Society of Professional Journalists issued a damning statement Wednesday blasting recent examples of "checkbook journalism."

"On Thursday, during a pretrial hearing in Orlando, Fla., to determine if Casey Anthony - accused of murdering her daughter - is indigent, her attorney revealed that ABC News paid Anthony's family $200,000," the statement said.

It went on to quote SPJ Ethics Committee Chairman Andy Schotz as saying: "Paying someone while covering them breaches basic journalism ethics. ABC's failure to disclose this business relationship as part of its coverage the last two years made the breach worse."

The entire statement is below:

more at the link:
http://mediamatters.org/strupp/201003240053

Thanks for that!

Here is the tricky part. Jose says the defense received 200 thou. ABC states that they made a deal with several individuals for a large catalogue of FAMILY photos and videos, for the rights. Does ABC actually ever SAY they paid $200,000.00? Because if the defense RECEIVED 200 thou, then the deal was for MORE than that...TAXES...no way the government would overlook that big a chunk of change...:waitasec:

darnudes said:
Interesting thing about watching Michelle Bart is the "tells" that show on her face. She shows possible signs of deception and disgust at various stages through the interview.

Yes, she seems very disinterested and doesn't really want to be bothered or be there.

I do believe, this video was done due to LE taking a stand, they stopped looking for a live Caylee after the evidence from the Tennessee Lab showed a human decomp event took place in the trunk of the pontiac. This is when there was the "false Caylee" sightings around the nation. The more the evidence proved a deceased child, the more the Anthony family came up with these sightings.

I guess, when MB was talking finances, she may not have been aware of the money made off the Caylee photos/videos from Baez, Inmate Anthony and the Anthony family themselves. Why does it seem okay for the family to make money off Caylee but no one else? One word, ENTITLEMENT, IMHO!

Due to this, I just cancelled my Disney subscription with my cable company.

Way to go, ABC, NBC and haven't heard about CBS but didn't they do an interveiw with them too???

Due to this, I just cancelled my Disney subscription with my cable company.

Way to go, ABC, NBC and haven't heard about CBS but didn't they do an interveiw with them too???

They did do a CBS interview and they came right out and admitted to having received $20,000 for that one...at least IT was not in secret...and THEY don't own Disney. Not that that makes it right...

I am sure they have more pokers in the fire that they will never admit until this is all said and done...and more outrage will be had before it gets any better. The main thing is for everyone not just to sit back and say Oh that's fine, that's just the way it is.

NO! That is not just fine and that is NOT just the way it is. And if it IS? Then something needs to change and only WE THE PEOPLE have the absolute power to effect that change.

I for one will not let them, the Media practicing this abominable act, forget...I will be here to remind them and anyone else who will listen that this is not right. It never will be right and it never has been. People really need to take a stand and let their voices be heard on this-in one way or another.

In silence is understood agreement. I do not agree and will not be silent in my disagreement. :banghead:

A neighbor of mine was unhappy with a club where she was a member. When she cancelled her membership she did so in a way I found delightfully full of impact. She sent in a letter cancelling her membership....and enclosed a copy of her check for membership with one of their competitors.

Check out the daily update for today where it is stated that GA and CA received an additional $20K from another media outlet.

They got $20K from the news program (? Dateline) for an interview.
Along with KC's $200K it will all have been 'spent' before Zenaida can get her hands on it....:innocent:

They got $20K from the news program (? Dateline) for an interview.
Along with KC's $200K it will all have been 'spent' before Zenaida can get her hands on it....:innocent:
It was like CBS Mystery something...I cannot remember the name but it was to do with mystery I do recall that.:waitasec:

I don't know where to put this link but figured this is probably the best place.

Michelle Bart interview: Giving her holier than art views on making money out of Caylee

I would love to hear what she says now that it has been confirmed the biggest money makers of this tragedy was indeed Casey and possibly the Anthonys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXO1XAerZIQ&feature=related

Approx 2.26 mark

Interesting thing about watching Michelle Bart is the "tells" that show on her face. She shows possible signs of deception and disgust at various stages through the interview.

I dislike this woman very much.

A little OT, but we were going over topics for an argument paper in my Comp I class, and I brought up checkbook journalism and talked a bit about the Caylee case! Maybe someone will want to write a paper on it!

It does stink to high heaven though. I don't know that I could ever go to Disney World without thinking about blood money and Caylee *sigh*

Turmoil continues at troubled ABC News. Morale among employees was already low after President David Westin's recent announcement that their ranks are to be decimated as part of a "new digital day."

It plunged even further following the recent belated admission that the news division had paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for exclusive rights to reproduce family photographs and videotape of a then-missing 2-year-old to Casey Anthony, a Florida woman who now stands accused of killing her own daughter, and the hiring amidst the cutbacks of high-priced anchorwoman Christiane Amanpour as host of This Week, its Sunday public affairs show.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rory-oconnor/union-busting-bloomberg-s_b_513680.html

ABC has layoffs galore. Many are upset that much money was paid out. They are calling it a reorganize letting go of 1400 people but want to cut the force by 25%..poor money management???

Turmoil continues at troubled ABC News. Morale among employees was already low after President David Westin's recent announcement that their ranks are to be decimated as part of a "new digital day."

It plunged even further following the recent belated admission that the news division had paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for exclusive rights to reproduce family photographs and videotape of a then-missing 2-year-old to Casey Anthony, a Florida woman who now stands accused of killing her own daughter, and the hiring amidst the cutbacks of high-priced anchorwoman Christiane Amanpour as host of This Week, its Sunday public affairs show.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rory-oconnor/union-busting-bloomberg-s_b_513680.html

ABC has layoffs galore. Many are upset that much money was paid out. They are calling it a reorganize letting go of 1400 people but want to cut the force by 25%..poor money management???
Just how many of those 1400 peoples annual salaries could have been paid with that money that instead went to the defense of a cold fish like Casey Anthony? I would be hopping mad if I were one of those let go so that the company could solicit news with their checkbook.:furious:

I still firmly believe that if ABC had not paid the $200,000 to KC that this would have all been over by now. JB would not have gotten his $89,000, AL would not have gotten her $22,000, they would not have had any money for transportation for their experts, no money for depositions (cause we know KC was broke before this) so I believe JB would have pushed her to take a plea deal had he not thought they could make big money off the case then and in the future through the media outlets. ABC giving them this money in the beginning is what made him think he had hit the jackpot. If no money had been paid I believe he would have looked at the whole case differently. IMO

i still firmly believe that if abc had not paid the $200,000 to kc that this would have all been over by now. Jb would not have gotten his $89,000, al would not have gotten her $22,000, they would not have had any money for transportation for their experts, no money for depositions (cause we know kc was broke before this) so i believe jb would have pushed her to take a plea deal had he not thought they could make big money off the case then and in the future through the media outlets. Abc giving them this money in the beginning is what made him think he had hit the jackpot. If no money had been paid i believe he would have looked at the whole case differently. Imo

ita---

I still say there is another big payment waiting at the end of all of this...I only wish there were some way to find that out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back