ABC News - Guilty of Checkbook Journalism?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just for the record, when ABC bought the pictures, video's etc, KC was not charged with murder yet.
I also wonder if other broadcasting entities could have paid ABC for the use of some of the now ABC owned material.
I do agree that the deal makes your stomach turn. And I do find the characters offering the stuff for sale to ABC ( and probably other stations, trying to secure top dollar), much more disgusting than ABC.

You're right, other news outlets would lease or buy videos and photos ABC would offer after they were the first to air them. This is how ABC would recoop its investment in the videos and photos. Think of all the photos and videos we've seen on Nancy Grace or other shows of this ilk. Has anyone given pause as to where these came from?

As a former journalist, I find the practice of paying a license fee for images very edgy. But our society has grown into a "now you see it" world. On radio, there's no images, print mediums and television are of course built around images. So, while many of us may find this practice distasteful, there's also a news editor and a company who wants its product to be better and bring a larger spash of news to the people. And, there is always a rating war on at the networks. It is in my eyes a double edge sword.

The pictures and videos we see of Caylee alone or with her mom and grandparents came from one source initially - Casey and/or George and Cindy. I am sure they had their reasons to sell the rights to their home collection of photos and videos. And, I doubt they will share those reasons.

So the real problem becomes just who is the most lowly of them all: the media using its resources to bring a better or more interesting product; the other media outlets who pay for the use of these from the initial buyer; or is it the family and friends of the victim who put a price tag on these items?
Or lastly is it we who take in these images of Caylee and want for more?

jmo

I really hate the way the media is now days. It is more who can get it first, whether the story is correct or not and make it more sensational than the last. I was a reporter for a radio station back in the late 80's early 90's and I can promise you we never reported on anything we stated as fact unless it was and if we had a story we were not sure of we had to say "accorrding to source so and so". We also never paid for any story/news. My my how things have changed. I really hate watching MSM anymore and especially because they pay for stories.

How was all the money spent?
on the DT?
Taxes paid by everyone?
HA!
Poor baby Caylee.........
All these vultures and their blood money.
Enjoy...........
Bella Vita???

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela