Abdul "Duke" Fakir, last original member of The Four Tops, dies age 88

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

ifindedout

Reaction score
https://www.npr.org/2024/07/23/nx-s...kir-last-of-the-original-four-tops-dies-at-88
NEW YORK — Abdul “Duke” Fakir, the last surviving original member of the beloved Motown group the Four Tops that was known for such hits as “Reach Out, I’ll Be There” and “Standing in the Shadows of Love,” has died at age 88.

Fakir died Monday of heart failure at his home in Detroit, according to a family spokesperson, with his wife and other loved ones by his side. Motown founder Berry Gordy said in a statement that Fakir helped embody the Tops' “showmanship, class and artistry.

“Duke was first tenor — smooth, suave, and always sharp,” Gordy said. “For 70 years, he kept the Four Tops’ remarkable legacy intact.”

The Four Tops were among Motown's most popular and enduring acts, peaking in the 1960s. Between 1964 and 1967, they had 11 top 20 hits and two No. 1’s: “I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)” and the operatic classic “Reach Out I’ll Be There.” Other songs, often sagas of romantic pain and bereavement, included “Baby I Need Your Loving,” “Standing in the Shadows of Love,” “Bernadette” and “Just Ask the Lonely.”

And this from 1973:

I know all good things come to an end but I’ll forever have the wonderful memories of growing up just outside of Detroit and being able to attend concerts by all the Motown artists.

Nothing will ever come close to the soulful music of groups like the Four Tops in the magical 60’s. RIP Duke, you earned it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manipulikka
Back