Airline Pilot Wife Die From Opioid Overdose/Children Find Parents Call 911

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Drug dealers are not throwing away 10,000 bags of drugs because a customer overdosed.

Btw. Addicts know other addicts.

But these dealers are rarely arrested and charged with murder.

Plus we don't know if people are using too much or having alergic reactions from the poison or whatever.

Because if Susie lived while getting high from the same batch as Jane. Then why did Jane die?

Did the dealer not mix the entire batch properly?

Or did Jane take too much?

Anyways. A cop will arrest you for selling heroin.

But they never do a forensics test to see if your heroin was the batch that killed other people.

Jmo. But they need a database or something.

From the article linked above -

This suggests that more than 3.8 million U.S. adults have tried heroin at least once, and 1.6 million have abused it, they said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/americas-heroin-epidemic/heroin-use-spikes-fivefold-u-s-n740051

Found it difficult to fathom that an industry can afford to lose well over 50,000 customers per year - seems the pace of replacement customers will be there after all. Other industries won't hire the users though - should be quite frightening in 5 - 10 years.

I saw something today too, and it seems the problem starts before it gets to the dealers. It's almost as if they are taking advantage of a unique business opportunity. What would they do if there weren't the pre-existing market?

US heroin use has increased almost fivefold in a decade, study shows

“Once you don’t get access to that medication via the ‘legal’ market, you end up going to the illegal market and street heroin in several areas of the US is very cheap,” said Martins.

When looking at whether taking opioid prescriptions for non-medical purposes leads to heroin use, the team found that among non-whites, the proportion of adults misusing opioid prescriptions before they began using heroin fell between the two surveys. But among whites, the figure rose from 35.8% to 52.8%.

That, says Martins, reflects historic access to opioids. “When prescription opioids started becoming widely available in the US a lot of physicians wouldn’t prescribe them for non-whites” said Martins. That, she says, has had a knock on effect when it comes to heroin use. “If you don’t have access to a certain drug for medical purposes you are less prone to use it for non medical purposes and then you are less prone to use another drug that might be related to [it].”

https://www.theguardian.com/society...eased-almost-fivefold-in-a-decade-study-shows

Thanks. That was eye-opening in that when I think of drug use, addiction, and overdose I consider how it affects the economy but I hadn't specifically considered how it affects employers.

I wish officials would treat this as they would another "crisis" situation, because in my opinion this is a crisis !

I wish officials would treat this as they would another "crisis" situation, because in my opinion this is a crisis !

Me too zen. Instead we get:

The White House’s proposal also includes a $314 million cut to the CDC, affecting some of its occupational safety, public health, and HIV/AIDS programs; a $350 million cut to the National Science Foundation; a $100 million cut to mental health grants given under the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration; and a $40 million decrease in FDA staffing.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/health/blog/2017/03/28/nih-budget-cuts/

What good will a study do without funding to address the issue?

Someone mentioned securing the border. The biggest drug dealer is the United States government. Securing the border won't stop drugs from entering this country.
It is a convenient way to deflect attention from internal dealers and manufacturers to "those brown people". It's a political decision that cripples real action.

Frankly, I believe a lot of it would be alleviated by changes to drug laws. There was a lot of violence and organized crime around alcohol when it was illegal. The substance itself was more dangerous, because purity was unknown. The black market tends to do that.

Why did I walk away from that life 25 years ago? I was able to get help immediately when I sought it. The only reason I didn't have to sit on waiting lists was because I was pregnant. My friends usually spent 6 months or more waiting, then had to engage in illegal activity to pay for treatment. Mine was free back then. The ACA required drug treatment be covered by insurance, but it's still subject to deductibles and co-pays. And politics may take away even that. It's a combination of personal commitment (no way was I going to subject my kids to that life) and availability of treatment. Focusing on exclusively one or the other will cause this to continue.

It is a convenient way to deflect attention from internal dealers and manufacturers to "those brown people". It's a political decision that cripples real action.

Frankly, I believe a lot of it would be alleviated by changes to drug laws. There was a lot of violence and organized crime around alcohol when it was illegal. The substance itself was more dangerous, because purity was unknown. The black market tends to do that.

Why did I walk away from that life 25 years ago? I was able to get help immediately when I sought it. The only reason I didn't have to sit on waiting lists was because I was pregnant. My friends usually spent 6 months or more waiting, then had to engage in illegal activity to pay for treatment. Mine was free back then. The ACA required drug treatment be covered by insurance, but it's still subject to deductibles and co-pays. And politics may take away even that. It's a combination of personal commitment (no way was I going to subject my kids to that life) and availability of treatment. Focusing on exclusively one or the other will cause this to continue.
Thank you for your powerful and courageous post.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

I don't have the answers to stopping overdoses, or the use of heroine. Obviously it being illegal hasn't stopped the use. Obviously it being illegal hasn't stopped the dealers. At the current rate of overdoses and deaths, the dealers are going to be out of clients. I don't even know that I believe we should be handing out the antidote. I'm just about this (__) close to saying they are choosing their own fate, and let stupidity take it's toll. I know that's not the way I want to feel, because of the devastation to the families left behind. Yet we have people committing suicide daily, and what's being done to help prevent that? Have there been more mental hospitals opened? Nope, more closed down! Has there been easier access to mental health? Nope. Has there been better understand of mental health in the ER? Nope, not that I've witnessed on a personal basis with several different people. You do NOT try to shame or embarrass to make a panic attack stop! You're compounded the issue, yet that's EXACTLY what I've seen happen IN TWO local ER's in the past year! UNACCEPTABLE!!!

My point being, mental illness is not a choice. Being an addict is.

Being an addict, and the illegal use of even prescription meds is also making it extremely difficult for chronic pain patients to seek, and acquire proper and legal medical care. While pain is subjective, there are ways a legitimate doctor can and does diagnosis, and treat a chronic pain patient. Their level of pain is subjective to that person, but the diagnosis of a physical ailment is not.

There's some possible advancements being made within pain management. One is a company called PROVE. Using a person's DNA, PROVE is attempting to be able to test a person's DNA and give a list of possible meds that would work for that patient, meds that wouldn't work, and give a risk factor for whether the patient has the potential to become an addict from legal prescription use. At this point, I am not positive that PROVE has definitely got their testing and rests 100% accurate. I do know that I have submitted my DNA and have gotten the results. My pain management doctor was shocked, and isn't sure he completely is on board with the results, and the accuracy of the testing, but believes it's a good starting point. He did state that if the results are accurate, he understands why I have continously stated that I get very little to no pain relief from narcotics, why I can take a narcotic and have a urine test, and it not show up in my urine as my body is not metabolizing the meds correctly, and why interestingly enough, my father has the same problems with chronic pain with no relief. I do NOT get a 'high' feeling from any narcotic that I've taken, and I have been prescribed just about them all, though fentanyl is one I do not want to even attempt. ONE patch was placed on my father, and he was dead within 24hrs. though he was in heart failure at the time, and it was placed as a hospice case with my father's last wishes to his physician to have one day without pain, even if that meant death.

At any rate, perhaps it's only my frame of mind today, but I don't have much sympathy for an addict to chooses to take illegal drugs knowing they have children. I realize many addicts probably have a mental health issue and start out self medicating. I can understand wanting to feel a numbness. I can understand depression. I can understand anxiety. I just don't understand taking a drug that you know has the potential of killing you, just for a high. I don't get it!

A few thoughts:
1.)**Substance use/abuse is a behavior (or a bad choice)
**Addiction is a biological Brain Disorder
[Admittedly, if you never use/abuse then you can never be an addict. However, unfortunately, once someone is an addict then it is pretty impossible to make the choice to abstain before a period of abstinence which allows the brain time to heal.]
2.)Narcotics for chronic pain are generally a very dangerous approach. Beyond the risk of addiction and overdose, opiate induced hyperalgesia can actually induce it's own complex regional pain syndrome.

**Addiction is a biological Brain Disorder
[Admittedly, if you never use/abuse then you can never be an addict. However, unfortunately, once someone is an addict then it is pretty impossible to make the choice to abstain before a period of abstinence which allows the brain time to heal.]

See, I consider addiction to be a physiological state that involves tolerance, withdrawal, etc. Not all substances cause addiction. Heroin does. Alcohol does. Nicotine does. Pot does not. Meth does not. Coke does not.

What all substances DO cause is psychological dependence. The drive for the pleasure stimulation. This is probably what you're talking about, as far as brain disease. This is actually much worse than addiction. The physical addiction to heroin can be overcome with about three days of abstinence. The psychological dependence is the more difficult part to overcome, and may cause the user to substitute other drugs. For example, many people start injecting cocaine when they go on methadone. Methadone has a blocking effect on other opioids, as far as the euphoria goes. People still want to engage in the rituals of using and get the rush, so they switch to something that's actually much more destructive than heroin, especially when injected.

See, I consider addiction to be a physiological state that involves tolerance, withdrawal, etc. Not all substances cause addiction. Heroin does. Alcohol does. Nicotine does. Pot does not. Meth does not. Coke does not.

What all substances DO cause is psychological dependence. The drive for the pleasure stimulation. This is probably what you're talking about, as far as brain disease. This is actually much worse than addiction. The physical addiction to heroin can be overcome with about three days of abstinence. The psychological dependence is the more difficult part to overcome, and may cause the user to substitute other drugs. For example, many people start injecting cocaine when they go on methadone. Methadone has a blocking effect on other opioids, as far as the euphoria goes. People still want to engage in the rituals of using and get the rush, so they switch to something that's actually much more destructive than heroin, especially when injected.

Cocaine is an opiate...definitely can cause addiction and physiological dependence.

Cocaine is an opiate...definitely can cause addiction and physiological dependence.

Cocaine is not an opiate. It can and does cause addiction, both psychological and to a certain degree, physical.

Cocaine is not an opiate of any kind. Opiates are derived from the opium poppy and are depressants. Cocaine comes from coca and is a stimulant. They are opposites, as opposite as you can get.

As for physical addiction, I have used both opiates and cocaine. One has enormous physical withdrawal symptoms. The other doesn't. The level of psychological dependence varies from person to person, but cocaine definitely has a worse effect on overall physical health. Stimulants tend to.

Cocaine is not an opiate of any kind. Opiates are derived from the opium poppy and are depressants. Cocaine comes from coca and is a stimulant. They are opposites, as opposite as you can get.

As for physical addiction, I have used both opiates and cocaine. One has enormous physical withdrawal symptoms. The other doesn't. The level of psychological dependence varies from person to person, but cocaine definitely has a worse effect on overall physical health. Stimulants tend to.

You're right. I don't know what I was thinking. (smacks self on forehead)

I keep thinking, at some point, won't users get the message to distrust dealers?

I don't think that everyone who injects cocaine is an addict, btw. Just as not all people who drink are alcoholics. I think the fentanyl crisis highlights just how widespread recreational drug use is. It's often the recreational users that have no tolerance for fentanyl and are overdosing.

As to the dealers, they don't care if they kill a few customers, fentanyl is an extemely cheap import from China, by cutting it into more expensive drugs they multiply their profit a hundred-fold, and most users will keep coming back.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Doctors increasingly face charges for patient overdoses

Doctors are increasingly being held accountable -- some even facing murder charges -- when their patients overdose on opioid painkillers they prescribed.
"The well-meaning doctors and dentists are the bigger part of our problem," said Dr. Andrew Kolodny, executive director of Physicians for Responsible Opioid Prescribing, an advocacy and education group. "They're inadvertently getting patients addicted, and they're also stocking homes with a highly addictive drugs."
"In the late '80s, early '90s, we were all told that we were too cautious and we were not appropriately treating patients' pain," said Sur, a professor of family medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles.

At the same time, pharmaceutical companies aggressively marketed opioids to doctors, former Surgeon General Vivek Murthy wrote in an open letter last year. Doctors were taught that these medications were not addictive if patients were in "legitimate pain," he said. Multiple studies have shown this to be false.

"That was a quote I heard regularly," said Sur, who has testified in cases in which doctors are accused of recklessly prescribing opioids.
It's not just doctors who have been facing legal action for the opioid epidemic. A number of states have filed suit against pharmaceutical companies for their roles in the opioid epidemic.

[video=cnn;health/2016/05/05/opioids-addiction-orig-nws.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/31/health/opioid-doctors-responsible-overdose/index.html[/video]

Ottawa pushed to prosecute Purdue Pharma over 'deceptive' marketing of OxyContin

The harms to individuals, health-care systems and society from Canada's opioid crisis are so grave that some physicians and lawyers are calling for criminal prosecution of OxyContin's drugmaker.
Canada lost an estimated 2,458 people to opioid-related death in 2016, government data says, and doctors estimate the country could see another 3,000 deaths this year.
"There may be a concern on the part of provincial governments that this would be a long, costly and uncertain legal battle. However, at same time, evidence seems fairly clear from an outsider point of view that there was some exaggerated claims about this particular drug and how safe it was."
As an emergency room physician, Moore said he's seen the devastating impact of what he calls the "opioid injury pyramid." For every death, he said, there's at least:

10 associated addiction treatment admissions.
32 emergency-room visits for withdrawal or other consequences of addiction.
130 primary-care visits

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/oxycontin-1.4229739

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow