CONVICTION OVERTURNED AK - Kent Leppink, 36, murdered, Hope, 2 May 1996

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.adn.com/2010/05/14/1279009/now-free-linehan-sets-up-a-new.html

"Now Free, Linehan Sets up a New Life" article published at adn.com, see link above. Includes a photo of Mechele carrying out some personal belongings from the prison.

A couple of quotes from the article:
She learned how to work the inmate black market, where everything from hard drugs to lip gloss is bartered or sold. She mostly sought out fresh fruit and vegetables.
She learned she could avoid prison food by ordering from Costco, an inmate privilege, and use an iron to make ham and cheese croissant paninis.
[my bold added] :waitasec::angel:

She ended up in the "hole" a couple of times for breaking the rules, including having chewing tobacco -- she had it for bartering.
and then there's this gem, with the bold added by me:

Asked what she thought of the strangers who have come forward giving her money to help -- Brian Watt, an East Coast executive, donated $25,000 for bail money and Anchorage strip club owner and businessman Terry Stahlman put up his motel as collateral for the bail -- she expressed gratitude.
But at first, she admitted, she was leery. "I've taken presents from men before that didn't want anything and it didn't get me in a good place."
:eek::eek::eek:

LOL, jinx Nancy:)

lol!

Thanks for pulling out the interesting parts! And for emboldening HAM :dance: hehe.

I think it's interesting Linehan admits she was in "the hole" and says it was because she had chewing tobacco so she could barter for fresh fruits. Mechele's mother posted on the Free Mechele blog-- (entry since deleted, I'm pretty sure) that Mechele got in trouble for having tweezers that the prison gave her. She posted a very lengthy entry about this and how unfair it was, especially bc Mechele would be in the hole during her birthday. So is Mechele omitting some of her disciplinary infractions or just lying? :waitasec:

The new ADN interview's revelations about Mechele being put in "the hole" for trying to blackmarket barter for fresh fruit piqued my interest because it was interesting Mechele acknowledged her rumored disciplinary record in the interview at all.

As previously mentioned, there have been a number of online comments alleging Mechele got into trouble for a number of actually unsavory or illegal activities behind bars. I've mentioned before (and above) that the Free Mechele site posted about Mechele being put in solitary for possessing prison-issued tweezers. And then the entry strangely disappeared, as did numerous subsequent references to the alleged tweezer fiasco. Why would Mechele be placed in "the hole" for weeks simply because she was in possession of something the prison gave her?? And why would the entry and subsequent comments referencing it mysteriously disappear? The wholesome fresh fruit bartering story revived my interest in the deleted tweezer post.

And we all know nothing ever really goes away on the internet. So I found the deleted entry. (Thanks to RSS Feed manipulation and my ocd-tendencies.:loser:)
The bad thing is that Mechele's mom posted at length in the comments section to the entry, paragraphs detailing the injustice of tweezergate, how she thought the ACLU should get involved etc. but I can't access the comments to the deleted entry or the related comments deleted from other entries.

Why does tweezergate (possibly) matter? My theory is the whole tweezer story was a big lie Mechele told her family to cover up the fact she actually got into trouble for something big. She was, afterall, kept in solitary for 3+ weeks. Because of tweezers?? Really?? So, if my theory is right, this is precisely the sort of thing that fits with the prosecution's narrative about Mechele-- do something bad and then completely lie about it and blame everyone else, insisting you've been set up. Then delete the computer evidence.
tweezers-2.jpg

so, the 9-26-09 entry is the deleted entry (without the more detailed woe-is-mechele story in the comments). I did make one edit, whiting out the name of Linehan's daughter.

The new ADN interview's revelations about Mechele being put in "the hole" for trying to blackmarket barter for fresh fruit piqued my interest because it was interesting Mechele acknowledged her rumored disciplinary record in the interview at all.

You are a WIZ at ferreting out stuff on the web! Aside from the infractions she discussed, I wonder if , like so many inmates, she shared details of the events with someone. But since she said she tried hard to avoid them, the prosecution may not get this advantage.

I guess she thought she was better than the rest, though I think they had a lot in common - Hilke claimed she stole items from his house and her activities with her male harem were very close to scams - if not outright scams.

(I want to register my appreciation of some posts but it doesnt’ take - I’m clicking on the Thanks button - is that correct? Nothing happens when I do.)

Marilhicks:

I agree with your post.... I, too have wondered about the "tweezer" story - definitely sounds like a cover! Am quite sure Mechele wasn't the most popular gal around the cellblock as she has does give off that snooty attitude, IMO.

adn.com is the most amazing sitefor this case, so thanks a bunch for pointing me in that direction! It's going to take a while for me to get up to speed on this case with all the info they have there!

I have no idea why your "thanks" won't work....all I can think of to try is to hit refresh...I've never had that happen to me that I recall....sorry.

Marilhicks:

I have no idea why your "thanks" won't work....all I can think of to try is to hit refresh...I've never had that happen to me that I recall....sorry.

Finally figured it out - it was browser related. The Thanks button doesn't work with Firefox - I have to use Internet Explorer.

So leaving at night with no fanfare wasn't good enough...nope, not enough drama there...let's return in daylight to get that little Amazon box and the handmade prison blanket...WAY better photo op

jmo

Anyone know what exactly "sight and sound" means in Alaska in this situation? I've worked in group home situations that required a "sight and sound" supervision situation, and while some people had their own "studio" apartments adjacent to the main house, the requirements varied as to individual official exceptions made for people whose situations required differing levels of supervision (ie: adjacent door unlocked vs. locked, studio entry through interior vs. exterior of main house, etc.).

I'm not implying that this particular situation is or isn't in compliance with the applicable laws. I'm just asking if anyone has any specific information. :)

Hi guys! I'm back after giving myself a little break from all this. I see Mechele is out on bail. I can't say that I'm surprised. I've been catching back up and I love all your posts. They echo my sentiments exactly. I know this is a circumstantial case so it is a million times harder, but do you guys think they will retry her? Will they win? If the emails and scenario were put in front of me, as a juror I would convict her. However, what else can the prosecution do this time around? They do not have concrete evidence that she planned his death. I realize this. I wish they were able to come with some additional evidence this time around. I feel in my heart she is guilty, the circumstantial evidence points to her being "in the know". That said if they do not retry her or get a conviction this time, I feel better knowing that she did in fact have to spend 2.5 years in prison. I think she deserves the black cloud that will hang over her head for the rest of her life.

Reading the Free Mechele Blog is truly frustrating!!! I don't understand their take on the same emails and information that we have. Rolena stated that there was sooo much more, but what? Even on the site they don't talk about more information that the public is not privy to. They are just rehashing the same info and putting their unique spin on it. (which I find laughable). They go to hell and back pointing the finger at Alaska and the prosecutors for making up a sensational story to get a conviction. Well aren't they doing the same thing? They are telling a tale to show Mechele in a better light. None of their explanations make any sense. Mechele tells them one story and their stickin to it. Well I ain't buying it!!!

I don't know much about retrial after successful appeal. To me, the State has a much better shot at conviction if they allow the jury to consider some lesser charges (Linehan was only charged with first degree murder in the original indictment). I think if jurors were allowed more options, the probability of some form of conviction would be higher.

I also wonder if the State is forever barred from using any aspect of Leppink's letter at trial. The Appeals Court Opinion discusses various conditions in which evidence like Leppink's letter could have been permissibly admitted at trial. If parts of that letter were admitted at retrial, I think this would also help solidify the State's case and/or thwart the defense argument that Leppink arranged his own "suicide," was fearful of others due to his "gambling debts" or other problematic relationships etc.

I'm unclear about those issues, so I posted the question in the Verified Lawyers thread.

And Ladybug, I agree with your assessment of the Free Mechele line of logic. Without any evidence to support their version of events, it just resonates as spin to me. :waitasec:

You are a WIZ at ferreting out stuff on the web! Aside from the infractions she discussed, I wonder if , like so many inmates, she shared details of the events with someone. But since she said she tried hard to avoid them, the prosecution may not get this advantage.

I guess she thought she was better than the rest, though I think they had a lot in common - Hilke claimed she stole items from his house and her activities with her male harem were very close to scams - if not outright scams.

(I want to register my appreciation of some posts but it doesnt’ take - I’m clicking on the Thanks button - is that correct? Nothing happens when I do.)

Thank you! I hate it when things disappear from the internet and I'm left thinking "I KNOW I read that somewhere..." :banghead:

I wonder if , like so many inmates, she shared details of the events with someone. But since she said she tried hard to avoid them, the prosecution may not get this advantage.

Among the comments alleging bad behavior in prison were statements that she did discuss Leppink and said things that tended to point to her guilt-- so part of my interest in these comments is trying to form an opinion as to whether the commenters are credible. Of course anyone could get on the internet and pretend to have firsthand knowledge of Mechele in jail, but if the allegations about drug posession/use are proven true, I'd be more inclined to believe the other parts of the commenters posts.

There have been so many different comments from different people saying the same thing (Mechele was somewhat notorious for manipulation and bad behavior in prison) that I tend to believe them. I wish 48 Hours would do an update and interview people who were with Mechele in prison-- I think that would be very interesting.

So leaving at night with no fanfare wasn't good enough...nope, not enough drama there...let's return in daylight to get that little Amazon box and the handmade prison blanket...WAY better photo op

jmo

I thought the Amazon box was funny. In reading the Free Mechele blog, I was struck by the volume of people who sent her things from her Amazon wishlist. Of course the wishlist has now been deleted after allegations that it was "hacked" :waitasec: Does anyone know anything about that?

LadyBug99, I have most respectfully snipped and bolded your post, for emphasis:)

That said if they do not retry her or get a conviction this time, I feel better knowing that she did in fact have to spend 2.5 years in prison. I think she deserves the black cloud that will hang over her head for the rest of her life.

Agreed.

They go to hell and back pointing the finger at Alaska and the prosecutors for making up a sensational story to get a conviction. Well aren't they doing the same thing? They are telling a tale to show Mechele in a better light. None of their explanations make any sense. Mechele tells them one story and their stickin to it. Well I ain't buying it!!!

Exactly. This latest story is a wonderful example of that. And "Tweezergate," [Nancy, again, good gosh you are hilarious:)].

*Sigh* it's incredible.

Among the comments alleging bad behavior in prison were statements that she did discuss Leppink and said things that tended to point to her guilt-- so part of my interest in these comments is trying to form an opinion as to whether the commenters are credible. Of course anyone could get on the internet and pretend to have firsthand knowledge of Mechele in jail, but if the allegations about drug posession/use are proven true, I'd be more inclined to believe the other parts of the commenters posts.

There have been so many different comments from different people saying the same thing (Mechele was somewhat notorious for manipulation and bad behavior in prison) that I tend to believe them. I wish 48 Hours would do an update and interview people who were with Mechele in prison-- I think that would be very interesting.

I too have noticed how consistent the former inmates’ comments are. Currently there are comments on ADN from someone who claims to have been her cellmate for a time. They are damning but have the ring of truth. (Sounds like a plot for prison movie!)

Since the defense was able to present testimony to her character since the murder, I would imagine that the prosecution could do the same with the inmate testimony .

(See comments of absintheminded907 at:

http://www.adn.com/2010/05/14/1279009/now-free-linehan-sets-up-a-new.html)

I too have noticed how consistent the former inmates’ comments are. Currently there are comments on ADN from someone who claims to have been her cellmate for a time. They are damning but have the ring of truth. (Sounds like a plot for prison movie!)

Since the defense was able to present testimony to her character since the murder, I would imagine that the prosecution could do the same with the inmate testimony .

(See comments of absintheminded907 at:

http://www.adn.com/2010/05/14/1279009/now-free-linehan-sets-up-a-new.html)

It's very interesting!! And I agree that if the defense opens the door to Linehan's character at trial, these kinds of witnesses are likely to be called by the prosecution. After reading comments about this case all over the internet for years, I find absintheminded very credible. I found the two women she named as Mechele's paramours when I searched the Alaska court case index, found other things online etc.

I think Mechele's camp is bracing for this kind of testimony. Dr. Linehan posted on the Free Mechele blog in March:

"He (the prosecutor) will bring any witness to the stand that will help him “win” the case. I predict right now that he will try to pull a “jail house confession” from some girl who met Mechele at Hiland Mountain Correctional Center. It is almost a given. He will bring anyone up to the witness stand, regardless of their credibility or veracity. It’s coming, and I am not looking forward to it. More importantly, nor is my wife. However… bring it on."

I think the defense is going to have a problem though, because if these allegations are true, the prison disciplinary records are going to verify the inmates' testimony. And Linehan will just be left saying, yet again, "no, this isn't true. everyone is lying but me. I was set up."

Is any of this evidence she's guilty of murder? No. But if I were wrongfully convicted of murdering someone and then ripped away from my husband and daughter, I don't think I'd be doing the kinds of things Linehan was allegedly doing behind bars. This kind of stuff makes me think the prosecution's take on Mechele seems more credible than the Free Mechele's version. And again, I feel very badly for his husband if this is true.

Troopers say they'll push Carlin murder investigation

http://www.adn.com/2010/05/17/1282333/troopers-say-theyll-push-carlin.html

[Alaska State Trooper Col. Audie]Holloway confirmed that troopers have been waiting on DNA evidence in the case. He explained that because of the backlog in DNA sampling at the crime lab, troopers and district attorneys constantly prioritize what gets processed. "For some reason we didn't do that as well in this case, or as well as we should have," he said. "Whether we didn't put enough emphasis on it to the D.A., or the D.A. didn't put enough emphasis on it to the lab."
The Alaska Supreme Court is considering whether to invalidate Carlin's guilty verdict because he's dead and his appeal was pending when he died.
State prosecutors want it upheld. They have a strong incentive. If it is overturned, they may not be able to use their theory that Linehan convinced Carlin to do the shooting.

Interesting! I thought the ADN had previously stated that Carlin's conviction had ALREADY been set aside? That the Supreme Court is still deciding on that issue makes a lot more sense to me. I wonder how far he and his attorneys got in developing his appeal. I hope there's a way to have his appeal reviewed even though he's dead-- the attorneys wrote the briefs, will do the oral argument, etc.

The more I think about everything, the more I've started to wonder if Carlin really was the shooter. What if he was duped by Mechele too?

According to the Dateline episode, Carlin's defense attorneys argued that prosecution witnesses verified Carlin's alibi at the time of the murder-- that he was on the phone/computer/at his son's school. All these things could be easily verified or disproved. I wish we could see the evidence on that. I bet it's contained in Carlin's points of appeal.

Also, why would Carlin use his own rare gun in the murder and then put it back in his own closet? IMO Carlin seemed like an intelligent man (interactions with Mechele notwithstanding), and as Carlin's son said about the gun in the Dateline interview, "he was just too smart to do that."

I think Carlin's death (and the possible setting aside of his conviction) was a great boon to Mechele's defense. And the paranoid part of me can't help but wonder if Mechele didn't find a way to contract his death (especially in light of the recent revelations about Mechele's alleged manipulative behavior behind bars).

I hope Carlin's son will testify at the retrial and tell EVERYTHING he knows. No matter what, Mechele is at least partially responsible for Carlin being put in the prison where he ultimately was killed. I hope Carlin IV does not try to protect Linehan this time around.

Also, today Judge Volland invalidated the grand jury indictment of a man accused of murdering his wife. He invalidated the indictment because the prosecution asked an investigator (Gifford) to offer his opinion that the defendant (Wease) was guilty of the murder. Volland discussed the Linehan reversal in today's decision:

"In his ruling, Volland cited the recently won appeal by Mechele Linehan, who was convicted in 2007 of murdering Kent Leppink. In that case, the state Court of Appeals concluded a letter Leppink wrote to his family before his death fingering Linehan as his killer should not have been allowed as evidence.

Gifford's testimony that Wease is guilty is more convincing than Leppink's letter, Volland wrote. And though both cases are circumstantial, the case against Linehan is stronger than the case against Wease, the judge wrote."

Looks like the Appellate Court's reversal has made a lasting impression on Judge Volland. :waitasec:

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2010/05/17/1282173/murder-charge-against-anchorage.html#ixzz0oFpyme00

Carlin gives his views of Linehan

http://www.adn.com/2007/10/18/213023/carlin-gives-his-views-of-linehan.html

Carlin was recently widowed and had temporarily relocated to Alaska from New Jersey. He had just won a $1.2 million lawsuit when he met Linehan in the summer of 1995 at the Great Alaskan Bush Company strip club.
She approached him and started talking. In idle conversation, he mentioned he was going on vacation to Amsterdam with a friend and she said she had always wanted to go there. He invited her. To his surprise, she said yes.

Interesting! I thought the ADN had previously stated that Carlin's conviction had ALREADY been set aside? That the Supreme Court is still deciding on that issue makes a lot more sense to me. I wonder how far he and his attorneys got in developing his appeal. I hope there's a way to have his appeal reviewed even though he's dead-- the attorneys wrote the briefs, will do the oral argument, etc.

The more I think about everything, the more I've started to wonder if Carlin really was the shooter. What if he was duped by Mechele too?

According to the Dateline episode, Carlin's defense attorneys argued that prosecution witnesses verified Carlin's alibi at the time of the murder-- that he was on the phone/computer/at his son's school. All these things could be easily verified or disproved. I wish we could see the evidence on that. I bet it's contained in Carlin's points of appeal.

Also, why would Carlin use his own rare gun in the murder and then put it back in his own closet? IMO Carlin seemed like an intelligent man (interactions with Mechele notwithstanding), and as Carlin's son said about the gun in the Dateline interview, "he was just too smart to do that."

I think Carlin's death (and the possible setting aside of his conviction) was a great boon to Mechele's defense. And the paranoid part of me can't help but wonder if Mechele didn't find a way to contract his death (especially in light of the recent revelations about Mechele's alleged manipulative behavior behind bars).

I hope Carlin's son will testify at the retrial and tell EVERYTHING he knows. No matter what, Mechele is at least partially responsible for Carlin being put in the prison where he ultimately was killed. I hope Carlin IV does not try to protect Linehan this time around.

Most respectfully bolded by me, Nancy:)
It sure makes a person wonder, doesn't it? The one person who probably knows as much as Mechele turns up dead...

I, too hope Carlin IV tells what he knows. It's interesting, in the (very poorly written) Fred Rosen book, Carlin IV is quoted as saying that he and Mechele had a falling out when he was staying with her in ~2004. Supposedly the falling out was regarding how much money he was getting paid (or not getting paid) for babysitting and housework, etc. He also says that "she stole my dog." Something to do with him having to leave the dog to fly home to New Jersey...I don't know if they had previously arranged something different and it got changed due to their argument or what the deal was with that. It would be interesting to hear more.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back