AK - Samantha Koenig, 18, Anchorage, 01 Feb 2012 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been gone all day, just catching up. Check out this doc, its hard to read but I believe it says he had a hand gun, plus past use of something, marijuana? and alcohol to excess.

Did someone else say they mentioned the bank robbery in the presser?

If he had the gun at the arrest and it is visible in the CGE footage, the gun is very visible in the bank robbery photos as well...

Of course you CAN fly with a gun. But would you want to check a firearm (presumably some record is kept?) if you were heading to Texas on a "crime spree" (or a wedding...okay, maybe the wedding)? The article I linked to indicated that you need a carry permit for Nevada for a handgun - would they want to see htis in AK at the airport before allowing you to board?

I have no actual experience in traveling with guns, or with planning crime sprees, but I have traveled with film production equipment of various kinds. I knew I would come in for scrutiny at customs. I tried to allow a little extra time for hassles if I had to fly with it, and if there was a way to avoid it, I would have.

The press asked if IK was involved in a TX bank robbery and the answer was 'not to their knowledge'. Don't quote me on this, am going off of memory. It was something to that effect and a very brief question and response.

Flying with a handgun or gun is simple. there are no records kept as to a serial number or what kind of gun. If it is in a long gun case, that is considered one of your bags and you take it to a spot for the TSA to screen. You are the only one to have the locks or keys for it. A handgun, if not in a long gun case, must be in a locked hardsided case and put into one of your checked bags. you declare the firearms at the time of check in. Sign a piece of paper that says they are unloaded and lock the case. then you deliver either the case or the checked bag with the handgun in it to the TSA spot. it is different in each airport in AK. the smaller ones you check the guna dn give it to them at as you would a bag. in Anch, they have a seperate spot to take it to. They never ask for any paper work.

It is up to you to know the rules of the state to which you travel. Also alot of states have reciprocity, and they will honor another states handgun or concealed carry license.
also, you can rule out buying a handgun in another state other than the one in which you reside. You can only buy a handgun in the state you reside in. (from a gun seller/ dealer with an FFl...)
If he bought one from a newspaper ad, then that is different. No federal paperwork for that.
I also agree on the large amount of guns that go in and out of anch. there have been several times when returning or going on a hunt, that even though I performed an exhaustive search of my carry on bag and stuff in it, there was one or even 6 bullets in there. No biggie, they just take them, laugh it off and send you on your way. I think if it was Chicago or somewhere else, you would be in a room with a guy wearing a glove up to his elbow... Not here. And not especially at the small bush airports. they are like that old show wings. the lady who checks you in, takes you bag. then walks over to the phone to announce boarding and checks your ticket, then walks over and works the x-ray machine...lol. heck, there are a few airlines that they don't even check you for. people routinely carry their sidearms on these flights and no one ever knows.

I tend to agree with the comments about not going to see family in february, at least not for 2 weeks. I have this dilema every year. spend the holidays with family OR go somewhere warm in the winter, like Hawaii, florida, mexico, vegas etc. No way I will fly around the holidays....too much hassle, and not a real vacation.

Vegas is a cheap destination for AK residents. Cheap flight, cheap hotels during the week, and warm weather.... They also have deals to mexico and other warm places....

Just to do some "research", on the way home last night I counted the # of white silverados I saw. I saw 6. this monring 3. all newer model ones.

as far as the idea of SK leaving the state, I imagine that they would have released that info by this point. unless she had a fake ID, that can pass the screeners, i highly doubt it. If she was forced to go on a commercial flight out of state, I don't buy that either.
As soon as I went through security, I would know the person wasn't armed and would yell and get help....

Thanks for the local insight, 907.

It sounds like record keeping on guns would slow air traffic to a crawl in Alaska! So it doesn't point one way or the other towards IK actually having flown to Vegas or not.

Now the question is, why would he bring a gun? Habit? Fear of wild hogs, an East Texas counterpart to grizzlies? Fear of drunken wedding guests? Or was he in fact there for the sole purpose of committing crimes?

And was this weapon a link to the abduction?

You cannot bring a hand gun into Canada. I have driven the Alcan a few times and my boyfriend owns guns, they never searched our vehicles but they asked a lot of questions about where the guns were if we didn't have them with us. Since Keyes has a previous DUI he would already have a harder time getting across the border so I doubt he drove.

So he either flew with a gun or purchased a gun in the lower 48. He could not purchase a gun legally from a dealer but he could easily purchase a gun from a private party or from the black market.

I know here on the kenai peninsula a couple car wash places have surveillance cameras hard to tell from the pic of the truck if it had been sprayed off with all that finger printing dust all over it,. Wonder how clean the inside of that truck was?

Does anyone know what security is like on the Ferry's to Washington State?

If he was so broke why would you go on a vacation and the turn around and go back on vacation to this so called wedding why not just go on one vacation at the same time of the wedding? airfare is not cheap

Has anyone figured out for sure when it was IK moved to Alaska?

Well the snow is melting and it's a mess, Maybe something will be found..

I know the weathers apps are always wrong but it says 43 right now and going to be in the 40's for the next few days.

There is a public court document that included Keyes SS#. The beginning of the number is 127-86-xxxx.

According to http://stevemorse.org/ssn/ssn.html this SS# was issued in New York in 1998 which seems a bit odd. That would mean his SS# was issued when he was 20 years old. I checked my own number and the state and date were correct.

He sure has moved around a lot. Didn't I read that he built a cabin for his sister in Maine when he was only 16 or 18? He has property in NY. Lived in Utah, Washington and Alaska and seems to have lots of relatives spread out all over the place.

There is a public court document that included Keyes SS#. The beginning of the number is 127-86-xxxx.

According to http://stevemorse.org/ssn/ssn.html this SS# was issued in New York in 1998 which seems a bit odd. That would mean his SS# was issued when he was 20 years old. I checked my own number and the state and date were correct.

Since his website says he went into the Army in 1998, he probably got it for that. I didn't get mine until I turned 18 and had to register for the Selective Service.

The press asked if IK was involved in a TX bank robbery and the answer was 'not to their knowledge'. Don't quote me on this, am going off of memory. It was something to that effect and a very brief question and response.

They don't have much knowledge of anything. You are correct, it was "we are not aware of any other charges only those (mentioned) in court today. There was no mention of his involvement in Samantha even - so they don't know a lot.

Since his website says he went into the Army in 1998, he probably got it for that. I didn't get mine until I turned 18 and had to register for the Selective Service.

Off topic but don't you get a ssn when you are a baby?

Off topic but don't you get a ssn when you are a baby?

I got my SSN when I was 5 after we moved to AK and needed one for the Permanent Fund Dividend. I applied for one immediately with all of my kids for the same reason.

copied from the Wikipedia page:
Before 1986, people often did not obtain a Social Security number until the age of about 14, since the numbers were used for income tracking purposes, and those under that age seldom had substantial income. The Tax Reform Act of 1986 required parents to list Social Security numbers for each dependent over the age of 5 for whom the parent wanted to claim a tax deduction. Before this act, parents claiming tax deductions were on the honor system not to lie about the number of children they supported. During the first year, this anti-fraud change resulted in seven million fewer minor dependents being claimed, nearly all of which are believed to have involved either children that never existed, or tax deductions improperly claimed by non-custodial parents.[4] By 1990, the threshold was lowered to 1 year old,[5] and is now required regardless of the child's age. Since then, parents have often applied for Social Security numbers for their children soon after birth; today, it can be done on the application for a birth certificate.[6]
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Security_number"]Social Security number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

He sure has moved around a lot. Didn't I read that he built a cabin for his sister in Maine when he was only 16 or 18? He has property in NY. Lived in Utah, Washington and Alaska and seems to have lots of relatives spread out all over the place.

Yeah he does - add Texas to that too. He was based in Fort Hood. I don't find that unusual if you scrap Texas and Washington because he was in the army in those 2 states. He left Utah to escape his religion - and when people lose faith there they seem to want to get out asap.

The whole Maine/NY thing could just be family visits or hanging out, having a bit of mooney, buying land - it is not a family home by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member