Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jury trial set for Alaska man accused of killing coffee barista

The jury trial for the Alaska man accused of kidnapping and killing an 18-year-old Anchorage coffee barista in February has been set for March 11, 2013 in the U.S. District Court's Alaska District. Samantha Koenig's body was recovered in a lake north of Anchorage on April 2.

Israel Keyes, the prime suspect in the case, was arrested in Lufkin near the Cotton patch Cafe on U.S. Highway 59 on 13 March. He was indicted and charged with kidnapping that led to the death of Koenig, who was last seen being led away from the coffee stand by an armed man on Feb. 1. Keyes was also charged with receipt and possession of ransom money and fraud with an access device.

The federal charge of kidnapping resulting in death carries a possible death sentence. In the first pretrial scheduling order, the U.S. Attorney indicated that the length of time between Keyes' indictment and his jury trial is designed to give the Department of Justice time to decide whether or not to seek the death penalty in the case.

Read more at link: http://www.ktre.com/story/20086848/jury-trial-set-for-alaska-man-accused-of-killing-coffee-barista

Wow, guess it doesn't surprise me. Thinking he must have committed suicide. LE was looking at Keyes not only for Sam's murder, but also for the Currier's who were murdered in Vermont.

I hope we now get to hear the detail's in Sam's case. It never made sense to me, rob a coffee house and kill a young girl who's bank account had a few hundred dollars? Same for the Currier's, not a wealthy couple. Who was Israel Keyes, what was he about?

He did have a young daughter, for her sake I curb my tongue. I hope she is with people who love and cherish her and will help her to process the horrible things her Daddy did and his death.

No matter what the COD, now we're left to wonder what secrets will be buried with him. I hate to think that his death will prevent some victims' families from ever learning what happened to their loved ones.

FWIW- A commenter on ADN says his daughter is in Texas with her Grandparents.

Livestream is up!

Going over evidence which pointed to Keyes.

Terrible connection, it's buffering for me. Anyone else?

It's working for me.

Talking about them having a ransom note, and tracking his movements through the lower 48, not knowing if he had Samantha with him at that time.

LE was tracking Keyes as he moved state to state. Evidence was found in Keyes car which pointed back to Sam. He confessed to her murder, then told them where her body was.

Keyes did talk to them about other matters, but I am not sure how much we will talk about that today.

Because it was winter, when he dumped Samantha's body, he took a chain saw to the lake to put her there.

They believe he has 4 victims in Washington, one in New York(?), and the Curriers.

Did he confess to the couple's murder in Vermont?

FOUR VICTIMS IN WA STATE?!!!! SWHNBN, did you pick all that up?!!!!!!!!!!!!

What other victims? Was he a serial killer?

Did he confess to the couple's murder in Vermont?

FOUR VICTIMS IN WA STATE?!!!! SWHNBN, did you pick all that up?!!!!!!!!!!!!

What other victims? Was he a serial killer?

Yeah. They didn't name anyone. But did mention the 4 in WA and 1 in NY. Along with the Curriers in Vermont. Will not name them as they don't have "sufficient evidence" and aren't able to recover the bodies.

And she just said they believe there are MORE other than the ones they mentioned, that they aren't comfortable talking about.

Nancy Moyer, Lindsey Baum. Few that come to mind in WA State.

Reporter asked, did he fit the Serial Killer profile?

LE is working with the FBI profilers. He would fly to a State, and rent a car. He traveled extensively!!

Will not say if there was a sexual assault in Sam's case.

Sam may have been in Texas?

He told them where to look for the Currier's bodies.

No one type of victim he sought.

It was more about the circumstances which made the victims available to him. He did confess to the the four victims in WA State.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member