AK AK - Scott, 13, & Amy Fandel, 8, Sterling, 5 Sept 1978

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
But her bar hopping and it seemed to be pretty frequent-could have led a predator to realize the kids were home alone. Kids should not be left on their own like that, especially when they live in the middle of nowhere and there is not phone in thehouse.

RIP Margaret Fandel who passed on without knowing what happened to her precious children. I pray she has her answers now.

I hate to hear that. This is one of the first cases I read on webslueths.

Wasn't there some talk that he was involved in the disappearances?

Hello, everyone-

I've lurked on WebSleuths for years, enjoying reading conversations and great sleuthing.

Looking into the case of these missing children has finally moved me to register, and I feel I may have connected some relevant dots in relation to their disappearance, and I really want to share them with you all.

This is a fascinating case.. and the more you look into it, the more fascinating it gets. I found something that I thought was kind of interesting after reading through the commentary made on this thread by Terry Schonfelder, Scott and Amy's maternal uncle. He states that Amy is alive and was possibly raised by a her father's family. I don't think that we're allowed to link FB here so I won't, but please just try to make the connections here and see what you think.

It's fairly easy to find their father, Roger Fandel, on FB. Most of what's on his page is private, but if you scroll down a bit, there is a pic (it's his cover photo) of him in front of a motorcycle in a snowy setting. There are two 'likes' on that pic. One is from an Amy Johnson. Most of her page is private as well, but there are a few pics of her that are visible that really made me wonder, when you compare them with Amy's age-progression on Charleyproject.

I also found a twitter for what appears to be this same girl.. the name on it is Amy Fandel Johnson! Thereafter noticed that on FB, the above referenced Amy Johnson's url is amy.fandel.johnson. Additionally, she appears (via Radaris, etc) to be exactly the same age that the missing Amy Fandel would be- 45.

Lastly, Additionally, I noticed someone upthread mention that the mother, Margaret, has passed away. I think that may be incorrect. Terry Schonfelder has a FB friend, Margaret Pearson, who has been active on FB as recently as March 5 (when I last looked). She is clearly their mother (remarried)- there are posts on her wall referencing Scott's birthday and how much she misses him and wishes he were found. Interestingly, no similar posts in regard to Amy..

So that's what I've got :)

I've always wondered why, since they disappeared at the same time, Scott is considered to be dead but Amy is alive. Did an altercation take place? Did he do something to Amy and was killed for it?

Hello, everyone-

I've lurked on WebSleuths for years, enjoying reading conversations and great sleuthing.

Looking into the case of these missing children has finally moved me to register, and I feel I may have connected some relevant dots in relation to their disappearance, and I really want to share them with you all.

This is a fascinating case.. and the more you look into it, the more fascinating it gets. I found something that I thought was kind of interesting after reading through the commentary made on this thread by Terry Schonfelder, Scott and Amy's maternal uncle. He states that Amy is alive and was possibly raised by a her father's family. I don't think that we're allowed to link FB here so I won't, but please just try to make the connections here and see what you think.

It's fairly easy to find their father, Roger Fandel, on FB. Most of what's on his page is private, but if you scroll down a bit, there is a pic (it's his cover photo) of him in front of a motorcycle in a snowy setting. There are two 'likes' on that pic. One is from an Amy Johnson. Most of her page is private as well, but there are a few pics of her that are visible that really made me wonder, when you compare them with Amy's age-progression on Charleyproject.

I also found a twitter for what appears to be this same girl.. the name on it is Amy Fandel Johnson! Thereafter noticed that on FB, the above referenced Amy Johnson's url is amy.fandel.johnson. Additionally, she appears (via Radaris, etc) to be exactly the same age that the missing Amy Fandel would be- 45.

Lastly, Additionally, I noticed someone upthread mention that the mother, Margaret, has passed away. I think that may be incorrect. Terry Schonfelder has a FB friend, Margaret Pearson, who has been active on FB as recently as March 5 (when I last looked). She is clearly their mother (remarried)- there are posts on her wall referencing Scott's birthday and how much she misses him and wishes he were found. Interestingly, no similar posts in regard to Amy..

The likelihood of someone having Amy's same name and resembling her down the the most minute detail seems pretty slim...but, why is she still listed as missing if she's known to the family to be alive, well, and active on Facebook?

I know I'd want my childhood face taken off of all those posters, if I was her...

Maybe there was another family member born around the same time who was given the same name.

I have not read the whole thread in years but I seem to remember someone being harassed for asking questions. Maybe harassed by the father. They seemed pretty shook up

Hello, everyone-

Great work I think you are spot on with their mother!

I'm having trouble with Amy though, is the one your referring to from Illinois? I found a Amy J Fandell Johnson (from Ill) posing a question on an ancestry board whereas this Amy has Lee as a middle name.
Can you tell me what date Scott's birthday is mentioned?

ETA never mind found it Jan 23

Does anyone know Scott's (bio) father name?

The Amy Fandel on twitter isn't Amy. She looks too young, for one thing, and also-Why would the real Amy casually be on social media? If she is alive, she could explain what happened to Scott. But their uncle seems to think she may have been raised by Roger's family? Nothing is adding up. I wish terrible terry would come back and clear things up.
Anyone who can explain what happened that night at the cabin owes an explanation to LE. If Margaret is alive and knows Amy is alive, then why don't we know what happened to Scott?

Just curious-I looked into what you had found. Very interesting. That is definitely the Mom. She made several posts over the years about her children. She calls Amy- Pooh. There was also a post about her children taken from her. So sad. I don't know about Amy. It appears there is another Amy Fandel. Would love to talk to her.

This case is so intriguing. Does anyone know if the Amy Johnson Fandel ob FB is the Amy that has been missing all these years?

I checked out the FB pages suggested above....and it was eerie. Definitely could be the same person. Also, AFJ's daughter, looked a great deal like Amy Fandel in the original 'missing' photograph. But how can it be her? Could she possibly be unaware of the photos online both past and AP photos? There's even a FB page dedicated to the case, appears to be maintained by a family member. Could there be two AF's, the same age, that look similar? Really puzzled here.

I can't get over the bad parenting involved here-the mom is a frequent barhop who leaves her kids alone and there is no phone in the place where they live? Not smart.

A different time and place. The seventies in Alaska. Parenting, societal norms, and technology available is completely changed. You cannot look back at a 35-40 year old case with 2013 eyes and see clearly.

Bumping, Amy & Scott have been missing for 37 years.

Scott and Amy Fandel - Missing Facebook Page

Brief spotlight article from July:

The Theories of the Fandel Children's Disappearance

I found this blog post discussing the case. The author is going off of information that has been made public and some of the rumors.

http://truecrimediscussions.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-disappearance-of-amy-and-scott.html

One thing she does mention that I don't think has really been brought up here is the travel to and from Alaska.

I am going to say that I believe the odds of the father being involved are probably rather slim. Why? I know from personal knowledge that not only are flights to and from Alaska expensive (and we're talking 2015) they are nothing that really happens fast. You do not just up and decided to fly to or from Alaska and expect to necessarily leave anytime real soon. Ok, so what difference would that make? Well unless the mother was in a habit of leaving the children every night like she had that night then this was an isolated incident that would just be too coincidental that the father got from the lower 48 on that particular night.

A different time and place. The seventies in Alaska. Parenting, societal norms, and technology available is completely changed. You cannot look back at a 35-40 year old case with 2013 eyes and see clearly.

Good point Wendy.

Hi, I'm a newbie here and very interested in this case. Thanks all for some of the links; hopefully this case will soon be solved. Thirty-Seven years is far too long and these kids deserve justice.

Still leaving your two kids alone at night and going to a bar and socializing is still considered bad parenting, no matter what the time frame.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back