GUILTY AK - Sophie Sergie, 20, UAF student, murdered, Fairbanks, 26 April 1993 *Arrest in 2019*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wednesday, March 10th:
*Evidentiary Hearing (Day 1 of 2) (@ 8:30am AKST) – AK – Sophie Sergie (20) (April 26, 1993, Fairbanks) - *Steven Harris Downs (18 @ time of crime/44/now 46) arrested (in Auburn, Maine), charged (2/15/19), indicted (3/14/19) & arraigned (8/6/19 & 8/14/19) with 1st degree intentional murder & 1st degree sexual assault. Plead not guilty. Held without bond, changed to $1M (8/6/19). Bond changed (8/16/19) to $550K.
DNA GEDMatch/Parabon Nanolabs (Single Nucleotide Polymorphism (SNP)). The Downs case may be the first real test of the limits of DNA forensics in criminal prosecutions — that this case may even reach the U.S. Supreme Court.
Trial was set to begin on 3/8/21 has been continued to 1/3/22.

Court information from 2/19/19 thru 2/2/21 reference post #96 here:
AK - Sophie Sergie, 20, UAF student, murdered, Fairbanks, 26 April 1993 *Arrest in 2019*

2/3/21 Update: No info yet. Evidentiary hearing continue on 2/4/21. 2/4/21 Update: No info yet. Omnibus, Calendar Call & evidentiary hearing (day 5 of 5) on 2/5/21. 2/4/21 Update: Order on Oral motion for SW to be unsealed & provided to Counsel for the defendant on records-granted. Evidentiary hearing continues on 2/5 & a Calendar call & Omnibus hearing on 2/5/21. Omnibus hearing on 2/18/21 & Calendar call hearing on 2/23/21 have been reset.
2/5/21 Update: Omnibus (2/18) & calendar call (2/23) hearings have been continued. Trial has also been reset. Next evidentiary hearings on 3/10/21 & 3/11/21.

2/24/21: Order on Oral Motion for SW to be unsealed & provided to Counsel for the defendant on record-granted. 2/10/21: Motion on Statutory Authority governing Title 12 communication; related to order for SW to be unsealed. 2/23/21: Opposition to Motion in Limine to exclude evidence or opinion testimony pertaining to the timeframe that DNA came into contact with the victim; State of Alaska Motion #10: Defendant's motion in Limine to exclude evidence re DNA coming into contact with victim. Motion #12: Defendant's Motion in Limine to exclude all evidence of DNA. Future hearings set: Omnibus hearing on 12/2/21, Calendar Call hearing on 12/7/21 & pretrial conference hearing on 12/20/21 & trial set to begin on 1/3/22.

Thursday, March11th:
*Evidentiary Hearing (Day 2 of 2) (@ 8:30am AKST) – AK – Sophie Sergie (20) (April 26, 1993, Fairbanks) - *Steven Harris Downs (18 @ time of crime/44/now 46) arrested (in Auburn, Maine), charged (2/15/19), indicted (3/14/19) & arraigned (8/6/19 & 8/14/19) with 1st degree intentional murder & 1st degree sexual assault. Plead not guilty. Held without bond, changed to $1M (8/6/19). Bond changed (8/16/19) to $550K.
DNA GEDMatch/Parabon Nanolabs (Single Nucleotide Polymorphism (SNP)). The Downs case may be the first real test of the limits of DNA forensics in criminal prosecutions — that this case may even reach the U.S. Supreme Court.
Trial set to begin on 1/3/22.

Court information from 2/19/19 thru 2/3/21 reference post #101 here:
AK - Sophie Sergie, 20, UAF student, murdered, Fairbanks, 26 April 1993 *Arrest in 2019*

2/5/21 Update: Omnibus (2/18) & calendar call (2/23) hearings have been continued. Trial has also been reset. Next evidentiary hearings on 3/10/21 & 3/11/21.
2/24/21: Order on Oral Motion for SW to be unsealed & provided to Counsel for the defendant on record-granted. 2/10/21: Motion on Statutory Authority governing Title 12 communication; related to order for SW to be unsealed. 2/23/21: Opposition to Motion in Limine to exclude evidence or opinion testimony pertaining to the timeframe that DNA came into contact with the victim; State of Alaska Motion #10: Defendant's motion in Limine to exclude evidence re DNA coming into contact with victim. Motion #12: Defendant's Motion in Limine to exclude all evidence of DNA. Future hearings set: Omnibus hearing on 12/2/21, Calendar Call hearing on 12/7/21 & pretrial conference hearing on 12/20/21 & trial set to begin on 1/3/22.

3/10/21 Update: Evidentiary hearing continues on 3/11/21.

03/11/2021 08:30 AM Courtroom 404, Fairbanks Courthouse Evidentiary Hearing Hearing Continued Temple, Thomas I

04/12/2021 08:30 AM Courtroom 404, Fairbanks Courthouse Evidentiary Hearing Temple, Thomas I

04/13/2021 08:30 AM Courtroom 404, Fairbanks Courthouse Evidentiary Hearing Temple, Thomas I

12/02/2021 01:30 PM Courtroom 404, Fairbanks Courthouse Omnibus Hearing: Superior Court Temple, Thomas I

12/07/2021 01:30 PM Courtroom 404, Fairbanks Courthouse Calendar Call Temple, Thomas I

12/20/2021 02:45 PM Courtroom 404, Fairbanks Courthouse Pre-Trial Conference Temple, Thomas I

01/03/2022 08:30 AM Courtroom 404, Fairbanks Courthouse Scheduled Trial Week Temple, Thomas I

link: https://records.courts.alaska.gov/e...mr5kIj5o7Fst8t-brb0h2ureNTzAGYE-R7lb1PAg9WPOg

From last week:

The genetic information derived by Parabon from the crime scene DNA evidence was provided to a Florida company called GEDmatch, which uses DNA information submitted by genealogy DNA testing services, such as Ancestry.com, to create a database from which overlapping DNA profiles can be determined.

GEDmatch returned results that identified anyone in their database who shared significant amounts of DNA with the unknown sample given to Parabon by Alaska State Police, explained Moore, who works for Parabon.

It this case, GEDmatch showed that Downs' aunt, who lives in Vermont, had a partial match with the crime scene DNA. By examining that DNA profile, Moore was able to conclude it was a male who was related by the aunt's mother's family, which turned out to be her sister's son, or Downs.

Moore said she used publicly available research tools to identify Downs as the likely match to the DNA from the crime scene once she saw the aunt's DNA profile match up with it.

There was a 23% overlap between Downs' profile and that of his aunt, Moore said.

DNA expert says she found suspect Steven Downs through profile matching in 1993 Alaska murder case

I have to say, I am very nervous about the outcome of this case. My podcast, DNA: ID, focuses on cases resolved through the use of forensic genealogy - I'm a proponent of the use of this novel tool to generate leads in cold cases. Because that's all they are - leads, as CeCe said at the hearing. But Downs is mounting a major challenge based on privacy issues, and the reality is, this has not been tested in court in any significant way yet. Downs has also presented all sorts of issue with how the evidence was collected and maintained, how testing was conducted etc. I really don't want to see (A) forensic genealogy ruled as an infringement on privacy rights, or (B) evidence in old cases disregarded because protocols at the time were not what they are today.

I'm nervous.

PS I facepalmed when McPherron admitted to mistakes in the affidavit GAH
I am not nervous at all about the DNA evidence and how it is being used. Parabon has been climbing my family tree, found a murderer, arrested him and he is awaiting trial. DNA is irrefutable science. The defense is going to throw everything out there to see what sticks. It will definitely delay the case, thus allow the perp 3 meals and 3 hots a day for years.

But ultimately, nobody on this planet legally has any expectation of privacy just by existing. Humans leave DNA everywhere, they breathe droplets / sneeze, they drink from cups, the wash their hands and dry them on paper towels, they visit doctors to provide body samples, they touch grocery items, they handle cash, etc. If you don't want your DNA used against you, don't leave it anywhere, and most importantly, don't commit a crime. The vast majority of law abiding citizens have zero to be concerned about. It's only the criminals and their lawyers throwing temper tantrums just because they can, not because anything will change. Everyone else is smart enough to know fighting DNA is a lost cause.

I am not nervous at all about the DNA evidence and how it is being used. Parabon has been climbing my family tree, found a murderer, arrested him and he is awaiting trial. DNA is irrefutable science. The defense is going to throw everything out there to see what sticks. It will definitely delay the case, thus allow the perp 3 meals and 3 hots a day for years.

But ultimately, nobody on this planet legally has any expectation of privacy just by existing. Humans leave DNA everywhere, they breathe droplets / sneeze, they drink from cups, the wash their hands and dry them on paper towels, they visit doctors to provide body samples, they touch grocery items, they handle cash, etc. If you don't want your DNA used against you, don't leave it anywhere, and most importantly, don't commit a crime. The vast majority of law abiding citizens have zero to be concerned about. It's only the criminals and their lawyers throwing temper tantrums just because they can, not because anything will change. Everyone else is smart enough to know fighting DNA is a lost cause.
Totally agree in the zero expectation of privacy. And I hope you're right about the vast majority of citizens being ok with this. Maybe it's just a very vocal tiny minority that isn't. I'll be covering the Deborah Dalzell case in FL, where the conviction really seems to have just been based on DNA evidence. It's an exciting time in the true crime world!

Monday, April 12th:
*Evidentiary Hearing (Day 1 of 2) (@ 8:30am AKST) – AK – Sophie Sergie (20) (April 26, 1993, Fairbanks) - *Steven Harris Downs (18 @ time of crime/44/now 46) arrested (in Auburn, Maine), charged (2/15/19), indicted (3/14/19) & arraigned (8/6/19 & 8/14/19) with 1st degree intentional murder & 1st degree sexual assault. Plead not guilty. Held without bond, changed to $1M (8/6/19). Bond changed (8/16/19) to $550K.
Trial was set to begin on 3/8/21 has been continued to 1/3/22.

Court information from 2/19/19 thru 2/10/21 reference post #102 here:

2/23/21: Opposition to Motion in Limine to exclude evidence or opinion testimony pertaining to the timeframe that DNA came into contact with the victim; State of Alaska Motion #10: Defendant's motion in Limine to exclude evidence re DNA coming into contact with victim. Motion #12: Defendant's Motion in Limine to exclude all evidence of DNA. Future hearings set: Omnibus hearing on 12/2/21, Calendar Call hearing on 12/7/21 & pretrial conference hearing on 12/20/21 & trial set to begin on 1/3/22.
3/4/21: Defendant's reply to State's opposition to Motion in Limine to exclude evidence or opinion testimony pertaining to the time frame that DNA came into contact with the victim; Motion #12: defendant's Motion in Limine to exclude all evidence of DNA. 3/10/21 Update: Supervisor Jennifer Foster at the Alaska Crime Lab testified Wednesday. DNA was recovered during the investigation & a unique suspect profile was identified from the DNA. The information was uploaded into the Combined DNA Index System, or CODIS. A family relative of Downs had submitted her DNA to a genealogical tracing website that was used by law enforcement. Results revealed the likely suspect was Downs, whom Alaska police tracked to Auburn. Lewiston defense attorney James Howaniec continued Wednesday to argue in favor of his motion to dismiss the murder and rape indictment against Downs. The hearing is expected to continue Thursday with testimony from CeCe Moore, a genetic genealogist who has appeared often on television, including on a network series called “The Genetic Detective.” Evidentiary hearing continues on 3/11/21. 3/11/21 Update: Evidentiary hearing continued to 4/12 & 4/13/21. 3/17/21: Non-opposed Motion to Unseal civil records (Motion #27). 3/24/21: Order-Granting motion re Motion #27.

Tuesday, April 13th:
*Evidentiary Hearing (Day 2 of 2) (@ 8:30am AKST) – AK – Sophie Sergie (20) (April 26, 1993, Fairbanks) - *Steven Harris Downs (18 @ time of crime/44/now 46) arrested (in Auburn, Maine), charged (2/15/19), indicted (3/14/19) & arraigned (8/6/19 & 8/14/19) with 1st degree intentional murder & 1st degree sexual assault. Plead not guilty. Held without bond, changed to $1M (8/6/19). Bond changed (8/16/19) to $550K.
Trial set to begin on 1/3/22.

Court information from 2/19/19 thru 3/10/21 reference post #108 here:
3/11/21 Update: Evidentiary hearing continued to 4/12 & 4/13/21. 3/17/21: Non-opposed Motion to Unseal civil records (Motion #27). 3/24/21: Order-Granting motion re Motion #27. 4/12/21 Update: Evidentiary hearing continues on 4/13/21.

Docket:
04/08/2021 Order (UAF Records)

04/13/2021 Media Coverage / Application and Approval

Hearings:
04/13/2021 08:30 AM Courtroom 404, Fairbanks Courthouse Evidentiary Hearing Hearing Continued Temple, Thomas I

05/12/2021 08:30 AM Courtroom 404, Fairbanks Courthouse Evidentiary Hearing Temple, Thomas I

05/13/2021 08:30 AM Courtroom 404, Fairbanks Courthouse Evidentiary Hearing Temple, Thomas I

12/02/2021 01:30 PM Courtroom 404, Fairbanks Courthouse Omnibus Hearing: Superior Court Temple, Thomas I

12/07/2021 01:30 PM Courtroom 404, Fairbanks Courthouse Calendar Call Temple, Thomas I

12/20/2021 02:45 PM Courtroom 404, Fairbanks Courthouse Pre-Trial Conference Temple, Thomas I

01/03/2022 08:30 AM Courtroom 404, Fairbanks Courthouse Scheduled Trial Week Temple, Thomas I

link: https://records.courts.alaska.gov/e...Ef5pKxSdUnkkgctYFDOEGPMFzQ3z*81T6DhmSK8Ylec6g

Alternative suspects named in Auburn man’s Alaska murder case

April 12, 2021
The defense was seeking Monday to cast doubt on the guilt of an Auburn man who is charged with the rape and murder of an Alaskan woman in 1993 by introducing half a dozen alternative suspects.
A judge in the case heard arguments from Lewiston defense attorney James Howaniec in support of a motion allowing him to present evidence to a jury at trial that at least six other men may have been involved somehow in the rape and murder of 20-year-old Sophie Surgie.

Each of those men was viewed by investigators as a person of interest, Howaniec told Fairbanks Alaska Superior Court Judge Thomas Temple on Monday via videoconference.

“This is not a case of the defense coming forward with a witness, years later, saying they had evidence that Steven Downs did not commit this crime,” Howaniec said. “Just about every piece of information that I intend to convey to you comes from the 8,000-plus pages and over, I believe, 100 audio files that have been presented by the state” to the defense in discovery.

Topping the list of alternative suspects is Kenneth Moto, Howaniec said.
[.....]
Two days later, when Moto was questioned by police, he was wearing a gray shirt, Howaniec told Judge Thomas Temple Monday.

Years later, Moto’s sister told police Kenneth Moto had confessed to her that he had killed Sergie and that a knife was involved, information Howaniec said had not been made public.
[.....]
Since 1993, Moto has been involved in multiple crimes of violence against women, Howaniec said. He is serving a prison sentence for manslaughter. Howaniec said he expects to call Moto as a witness at trial.
[.....]
Assistant Attorney General Jenna Gruenstein countered Howaniec’s argument, noting that Moto’s photo was not picked out of a photo lineup by the witness in the bathroom.

Moto’s sister is deceased and cannot testify at trial as well as the investigator she told about her brother’s confession, Gruenstein said.

The break in the cold case came through a technique known as genetic genealogy, which can involve identifying unknown person DNA by exploiting available DNA profiles uploaded by people trying to find their roots.

As a result of such a scientific lead, on Feb. 15, 2019, Downs was charged with sexual assault and murder, arrested in Auburn, and in August, transferred to a jail in Alaska, where he remains incarcerated.

“This arrest is the culmination of years of effort and tenacious attention by this department to solve a horrendous murder,” Alaska Commissioner of Public Safety Amanda Price said at the time.

Downs’ defense attorney James Howaniec says, “He’s been screaming his innocence from day one. He’s absolutely certain there’s got to be some sort of mistake. We, as his defense lawyers, are convinced there’s been some very, very serious error here.”

An Auburn native and son of teachers, Downs graduated Edward Little High School in 1992 and decided to go to college more than 4,000 miles away.

After graduating from the University of Alaska in 1996, Downs earned a master’s degree in business administration, in Arizona, and then a nursing degree before moving back to Maine, where he lived alone in an Auburn house and supported himself as a nurse.

Other than a single drunk driving infraction, Downs had no prior arrest record.

“The Maine State Police knocked on his door,” Howaniec said. “It came totally out of the blue. He’s lived a quiet life here in Auburn. He had a nice home on a dead-end street.”
Maine man to stand trial after DNA links him to 1993 Alaska murder

Yes this will be a very important case to watch. Conviction on the DNA alone is going to be tough I think.

Well shizzle... I can't access the Alaska court site anymore.... :oops:
So going to post this just in case it is still happening - and I see @PayrollNerd here - I have a link in post #110 - can you access it? I left the case # below.

Wednesday, May 12th:
*Evidentiary Hearing (Day 1 of 2) (@ 8:30am AKST) – AK – Sophie Sergie (20) (April 26, 1993, Fairbanks) - *Steven Harris Downs (18 @ time of crime/44/now 46) arrested (in Auburn, Maine), charged (2/15/19), indicted (3/14/19) & arraigned (8/6/19 & 8/14/19) with 1st degree intentional murder & 1st degree sexual assault. Plead not guilty. Held without bond, changed to $1M (8/6/19). Bond changed (8/16/19) to $550K. 4th Judicial District #4FA-19-00504CR
Trial set to begin on 1/3/22. (will last about 7 weeks)

Court information from 2/19/19 thru 3/10/21 reference post #108 here:
3/11/21 Update: Evidentiary hearing continued to 4/12 & 4/13/21. 3/17/21: Non-opposed Motion to Unseal civil records (Motion #27). 3/24/21: Order-Granting motion re Motion #27. 4/12/21 Update: Evidentiary hearing continues on 4/13/21. 4/9/21: Order UAF records.
4/13/21 Update: Application & approval of media coverage. Fairbanks Alaska Superior Court Judge Thomas Temple in the case heard arguments from Lewiston defense attorney James Howaniec in support of a motion allowing him to present evidence to a jury at trial that at least six other men may have been involved somehow in the rape & murder of Sophie. Each of those men was viewed by investigators as a person of interest, Howaniec told Judge Temple on Monday via video conference. Topping the list of alternative suspects is Kenneth Moto, Howaniec said. Two days later, when Moto was questioned by police, he was wearing a gray shirt, Howaniec told Judge Thomas Temple Monday. Years later, Moto’s sister told police Kenneth Moto had confessed to her that he had killed Sergie & that a knife was involved, information Howaniec said had not been made public. Since 1993, Moto has been involved in multiple crimes of violence against women, Howaniec said. He is serving a prison sentence for manslaughter. Howaniec said he expects to call Moto as a witness at trial. Assistant Attorney General Jenna Gruenstein countered Howaniec’s argument, noting that Moto’s photo was not picked out of a photo lineup by the witness in the bathroom. Moto’s sister is deceased & cannot testify at trial as well as the investigator she told about her brother’s confession, Gruenstein said. Judge Thomas Temple heard testimony from witnesses presented by prosecutors & the defense who reached the same conclusion, that the .22-caliber bullet removed from the head of Sophie Sergie was so misshapen & damaged that it was unsuitable for making an accurate comparison to any bullet fired by a specific gun. Alaska State Crime Lab firearm examiner & tool mark expert Debra Gillis for pros & Marc Dupre, a former firearm examiner at the New Hampshire Police Forensics Lab, testified for the defense Tuesday. Also Alaska cold-case investigator Randy McPherron testified. Judge Temple listened to arguments for & against the defense motion seeking to prevent the jury from hearing any evidence about Downs’ guns & knife. Temple ruled that the guns & knife information would be admissible at trial, although the defense could argue whether it was relevant or not. The defense had challenged the legality of the search warrant used to seize Downs’ guns & knife. If Temple were to rule that the warrant wasn’t proper, he could exclude the gun & knife from being allowed as evidence at trial. Preliminary hearings were continued to 5/12 & 5/13/21.

No idea "what" happened on the evidentiary hearing on 5/12 as I have lost access to the Alaska court site. If anyone reading here can access it - I have left the court case # below.

Thursday, May 13th:
*Evidentiary Hearing (Day 2 of 2) (@ 8:30am AKST) – AK – Sophie Sergie (20) (April 26, 1993, Fairbanks) - *Steven Harris Downs (18 @ time of crime/44/now 46) arrested (in Auburn, Maine), charged (2/15/19), indicted (3/14/19) & arraigned (8/6/19 & 8/14/19) with 1st degree intentional murder & 1st degree sexual assault. Plead not guilty. Held without bond, changed to $1M (8/6/19). Bond changed (8/16/19) to $550K. 4th Judicial District #4FA-19-00504CR
Trial set to begin on 1/3/22. (will last about 7 weeks).

Court information from 2/19/19 thru 4/9/21 reference post #115 here:

4/13/21 Update: Application & approval of media coverage. Fairbanks Alaska Superior Court Judge Thomas Temple in the case heard arguments from Lewiston defense attorney James Howaniec in support of a motion allowing him to present evidence to a jury at trial that at least six other men may have been involved somehow in the rape & murder of Sophie. Each of those men was viewed by investigators as a person of interest, Howaniec told Judge Temple on Monday via videoconference. Topping the list of alternative suspects is Kenneth Moto, Howaniec said. Two days later, when Moto was questioned by police, he was wearing a gray shirt, Howaniec told Judge Thomas Temple Monday. Years later, Moto’s sister told police Kenneth Moto had confessed to her that he had killed Sergie & that a knife was involved, information Howaniec said had not been made public. Since 1993, Moto has been involved in multiple crimes of violence against women, Howaniec said. He is serving a prison sentence for manslaughter. Howaniec said he expects to call Moto as a witness at trial. Assistant Attorney General Jenna Gruenstein countered Howaniec’s argument, noting that Moto’s photo was not picked out of a photo lineup by the witness in the bathroom. Moto’s sister is deceased & cannot testify at trial as well as the investigator she told about her brother’s confession, Gruenstein said. Judge Thomas Temple heard testimony from witnesses presented by prosecutors & the defense who reached the same conclusion, that the .22-caliber bullet removed from the head of Sophie Sergie was so misshapen & damaged that it was unsuitable for making an accurate comparison to any bullet fired by a specific gun. Alaska State Crime Lab firearm examiner & tool mark expert Debra Gillis for pros & Marc Dupre, a former firearm examiner at the New Hampshire Police Forensics Lab, testified for the defense Tuesday. Also Alaska cold-case investigator Randy McPherron testified. Judge Temple listened to arguments for & against the defense motion seeking to prevent the jury from hearing any evidence about Downs’ guns & knife. Temple ruled that the guns & knife information would be admissible at trial, although the defense could argue whether it was relevant or not. The defense had challenged the legality of the search warrant used to seize Downs’ guns & knife. If Temple were to rule that the warrant wasn’t proper, he could exclude the gun & knife from being allowed as evidence at trial. Preliminary hearings were continued to 5/12 & 5/13/21.
5/12/21 Update: No info on what happened on preliminary hearing on 5/12. Preliminary hearing continues on 5/13/21.

Let me go poke around and see what I can find.

Ok, update:
When I go to the main page, I get a menu and I click on Search Cases in the dark gray box.
Home Page - Alaska Court System
It takes me to the Search Cases page. I click Search Trial Court Case / Pay Online.
Search Cases - Alaska Court System
Then the page never loads, just continues to spool until it times out.

Last edited:
Yes I tried that link first and it won’t load. So I used the main link. I tried on my laptop, iPad and iPhone. I suspect they’re have a internet site problem.

Oh good - I thought it might be me again... will try later. Thanks!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cassie1678
Back