AK AK - Steve Keel, 61, missing from hunting trip, from TN - Aug 27, 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
9-7-22 - UPDATING THE CONTINUING SEARCH FOR A MISSING TENNESSEE HUNTER IN ALASKA
Steve Keel — a 61-year-old from Stewart County — has now been missing for twelve days in far northern Alaska.
Crews have done grid searches on ground and from the air.
I spoke today with Harry Grim — a frequent hunter in the area around Deadhorse, Alaska.
He actually ran into Keel’s hunting partner after Keel disappeared.
Grim knows the area well and he believes the most likely scenario is that Keel simply got lost when he left the campground.
Grim sent me these photos of the tundra — the flat, scruffy geography — in that area.

He says once you walk out into this type of Alaska wilderness it is very easy to become disoriented and lose your sense of direction.
It all looks the same with rolling hills.
Grim feels it is possible, but unlikely Keel was the victim of an animal attack.
He also thinks it’s unlikely he got stuck in a mud bog or fell in a ravine.
More likely Keel wandered far away and was forced to hunker down after dark and try to stay warm.
With each passing day it is more difficult to believe Keel has not succumbed to the elements.
He had no supplies when he walked away from the camp to go collect his caribou meat.
He never made it.
But, Keel is an experienced outdoorsman.
His family has not given up hope.
This last photo is of the four search and rescue friends from Stewart County who have now arrived in Alaska to continue the search.
We all hope they find him.
THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS.
View attachment 364950View attachment 364951View attachment 364952
What are those poles in the 3rd photo? There seem to be 2 sets. Perhaps a helicopter landing space? Leftover tent poles after a tent has been carried away by the wind? Markers for the grid search?

#1 symptom of an "experienced outdoorsman": appropriate apparel. Synthetics and wool: no cotton. Standard. Just sayin'.

And searchers should be in bright colors to avoid another accident. IMO

Last edited:
Maybe the best spots were taken already by clients of outfitters.
I'm thinking they must have been free-lancing and didn't have the benefit of local knowledge. This is suggested to me by the fact they had a vehicle, which the must have driven up from Fairbanks.
Perhaps, they even chose an exceptionally hazardous area. There has to be a reason why they set up camp only 2 miles from their car. Why? And, it seems the hunting partner could pretty much "commute" to the vehicle: he slept there overnight, and went back to the camp the next day. Very odd to me. For safety reasons alone, the extra 2 miles from the field to the van would have been worth it. And I'd be wanting real food and a cushy sleep spot in the van. And maybe my solar camp shower.
TN woods don't have at all the type of backcountry as AK. I would guess folks used to TN didn't anticipate the difficulties of being in the wilds of the West, let alone AK. (IMO this is the problem with TN thinking a ground search in AK would be par for the course, whereas it's an exception because of the risks.)
I have hiked in the TN backcountry: very tame compared to almost anywhere else I have been in the US, especially out West, but also east coast wilderness. It's just woods, and it's temperate for many months of the year. So, if you were good at the terrain in TN, it would be easy to overestimate your skill. Especially if you saw photos of the Arctic and thought it looked empty. Great: no woods!

It also seems to me strange that the simple expediency of a smoky fire didn't seem to happen, in this instance. It could have guided one hunter to the other.

FWIW if the two were relying on a compass on a smartphone, and the smartphone ran out of battery....
I’ve read several places that he has been out west on many hunting trips. You can’t just assume that because the guy is from TN he is going to succumb to hypothermia in AK as soon as he gets damp.

Also, on your wondering why they wouldn’t sleep in the van, if it was the other way around I would wonder why a hunter would go to Alaska on a caribou hunt and want to sleep in a van along a dusty dirt road mainly used by large trucks.

I’ve read several places that he has been out west on many hunting trips. You can’t just assume that because the guy is from TN he is going to succumb to hypothermia in AK as soon as he gets damp.

Also, on your wondering why they wouldn’t sleep in the van, if it was the other way around I would wonder why a hunter would go to Alaska on a caribou hunt and want to sleep in a van along a dusty dirt road mainly used by large trucks.
Trips out West meaning in the Lower 48 or in Alaska. I wondered if he had hunted in AK before but haven't seen a source myself confirming that.

As to sleeping on tundra, somebody described it as being like sleeping on a soft mattress. I am curious if this hunt was planned & executed on their own or with the services of an outfitter. I haven't seen an answer to that either.

Tracking the caribou for best hunting seems like something they would need guidance with. It's too expensive a trip if your chances of success are not advantaged by a professional service of some kind, I would think.

Seeing the support SK and his family are receiving is awesome. I hope they get some good news today.

MOO

What are those poles in the 3rd photo? There seem to be 2 sets. Perhaps a helicopter landing space? Leftover tent poles after a tent has been carried away by the wind? Markers for the grid search?

#1 symptom of an "experienced outdoorsman": appropriate apparel. Synthetics and wool: no cotton. Standard. Just sayin'.

And searchers should be in bright colors to avoid another accident. IMO
If I'm looking at the same photo with what looks like a couple of poles - it's NOT for a helicopter landing space. Marking an emergency/SAR landing area uses lighted opjects (when available) or if not, are made with components that would be unaffected by rotor wash or gusty wind (poles would be subject to interference by both), and they also will mark the direction of the wind to help the pilot land into the wind. So NOT sure what they are.

Trips out West meaning in the Lower 48 or in Alaska. I wondered if he had hunted in AK before but haven't seen a source myself confirming that.

As to sleeping on tundra, somebody described it as being like sleeping on a soft mattress. I am curious if this hunt was planned & executed on their own or with the services of an outfitter. I haven't seen an answer to that either.

Tracking the caribou for best hunting seems like something they would need guidance with. It's too expensive a trip if your chances of success are not advantaged by a professional service of some kind, I would think.

Seeing the support SK and his family are receiving is awesome. I hope they get some good news today.

MOO

They didn't have a guide. It's not MSM, so I can't post a link, but if you go to YT and search
"Average Joe" | A DIY Alaskan Caribou Hunt, you can watch.

They have another longer video where they talk about the cost, their planning and the gear they took that I haven't watched yet called
DIY Alaskan Caribou Hunt: The Ultimate Guide | WITH CHAPTERS| | Breaking Down “Average Joe”

The team of 4 is now a team of 6, as a ranger with a drone joined them and a North Slope search and rescue member joined. From the public Facebook group. There is also a candlelight vigil for Steve this coming Sunday at our local park. Log in or sign up to view

And to clarify, correct in that they did not have a guide for their hunt, but Average Joe on YouTube is not any of the men involved in the search or Steve.

Snipped for focus

I'll repeat my position for clarification, since there seems to be confusion.
The nasty combination of damp, wind, and cold (with no help from backpack supplies) on site is significant for the likelihood of hypothermia, and quickly.

Local SAR has reported on site conditions as too foggy to survey by air, and too soggy to land helicopters at this time.

The west is not AK: it doesn't have tundra for starters, and, although remote, it is not as remote as the Arctic circle.

I will repeat the NPS statement which I cited earlier (Post # 31) about folks in the lower 48 misjudging conditions in AK and their relative expertise. Although the statement applies specifically to mountaineers, it is a general problem:

We have seen a disturbing amount of overconfidence paired with inexperience in the Alaska Range. While climbers may have a good deal of experience at elevations up to 14,000 feet in the Lower 48, the remoteness and extreme weather we get in the Alaska Range make the experience here more challenging and dangerous.

"They were driving 11 hours. Yeah, it’s a long drive. They’ve got two vehicles and two people to a vehicle so they are taking turns sleeping and driving,” said Smith.

The four men also reported back home that the weather in Alaska has been relatively warm, and that will help them in this search for Steve in the tough terrain." Search for Steve Keel: Families of men searching for missing Tennessee hunter in Alaska say they’re proud, anxious
I'm thinking warm weather might make the ground soggier, which would be very problematic.

If I'm looking at the same photo with what looks like a couple of poles - it's NOT for a helicopter landing space. Marking an emergency/SAR landing area uses lighted opjects (when available) or if not, are made with components that would be unaffected by rotor wash or gusty wind (poles would be subject to interference by both), and they also will mark the direction of the wind to help the pilot land into the wind. So NOT sure what they are.
It seems a very strange place for someone to set up camp (way too exposed), so I'm thinking that would not be likely either.

It seems a very strange place for someone to set up camp (way too exposed), so I'm thinking that would not be likely either.
That entire landscape could be classified as "way too exposed." I am surprised they went on their own without an outfitter. In my mind that increases the danger exponentially.

If both of them had disappeared as SK has, the only clue to finding them might have been their van & the search would have been significantly more delayed.

I guess purchase of hunting tags or some other evidence of their intentions might have helped.

Wouldn't they have gone some distance tracking the caribou? They must have used their skill & tools to wayfind out there.

I hope they find this man. Saving money on the front end (no outfitter) may have cost beaucoup $$$$ & a life on the back end.

JMO

That entire landscape could be classified as "way too exposed." I am surprised they went on their own without an outfitter. In my mind that increases the danger exponentially.

If both of them had disappeared as SK has, the only clue to finding them might have been their van & the search would have been significantly more delayed.

I guess purchase of hunting tags or some other evidence of their intentions might have helped.

Wouldn't they have gone some distance tracking the caribou? They must have used their skill & tools to wayfind out there.

I hope they find this man. Saving money on the front end (no outfitter) may have cost beaucoup $$$$ & a life on the back end.

JMO
Yes, I'm surprised about the lack of outfitter, too, just because of the logistics, including locating a camp. As for the safety: yep, no local outfitter, the danger would increase exponentially. The one I looked up actually required a Garmin inReach.
There's a lot of local savvy needed to address conditions.
I'm guessing that after you add the actual costs for a trip, they aren't that much lower than using an outfitter.
It's possible they were using smart phones to navigate. The problem is, the batteries run down! And a Garmin GPS is not going to work without satellites (it was reportedly overcast and is prone to fog).
Is that camo outfit cotton in the photo we've seen??????

They didn't have a guide. It's not MSM, so I can't post a link, but if you go to YT and search
"Average Joe" | A DIY Alaskan Caribou Hunt, you can watch.

They have another longer video where they talk about the cost, their planning and the gear they took that I haven't watched yet called
DIY Alaskan Caribou Hunt: The Ultimate Guide | WITH CHAPTERS| | Breaking Down “Average Joe”
Oh, dear.

Humility about the wilderness generally increases your odds for survival.

Update from 2 hrs ago from North Slope Search and Rescue. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...jszQLwfwLvJ1KEtkwbndcuN8Kl&id=100066528326171

- There are numerous volunteer search teams in the search area

-NSB Search and Rescue is in communication with the volunteer search teams.

- There is a North Slope Borough volunteer onsite.

- North Slope Borough is coordinating with multiple agencies regarding electronic information gathering efforts. Evaluation of this and any other information will determine further search efforts

Oh, dear.

Humility about the wilderness generally increases your odds for survival.

My family is New Mexican. I'm familiar with desert, not tundra, but this quote applies none the less:

The Alchemist advises, 'You must love the desert, but never trust it completely. Because the desert tests all men: it challenges every step, and kills those who become distracted.

The Alchemist, Paul Coelho

jmho ymmv lrr

There are 2 simultaneous cases of missing moose hunters in AK.

Missing and never found off Dalton Hwy, September 2015:

Last edited:
There are 2 simultaneous cases of missing moose hunters in AK.

Missing and never found off Dalton Hwy:

Remote Alaska is a dangerous place.

Probable victims of bad weather:
"Shane McIntyre, Carl Flynn and Justin Crow left Bethel in a KingFisher Extreme Shallow boat on the afternoon of Aug. 30 to deliver supplies for a moose hunt at a cabin up the Kuskokwim River, said Perry Barr, vice president of Bethel Search and Rescue. The men were expected to return home that evening."

Land AND water search:
Daniel Laraux, who goes by the name “One One,” went missing a week ago on the evening of Sept. 1, the day moose hunting opened in the Kuskokwim River area. Laraux and his partner had set up camp at Hoffman’s cabin. Hoffman said that the camp is about 5 miles upriver from Kalskag on the Old River Slough. Hoffman said that Laruax could have gone missing on land or water.

Doesn't sound good :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member