AL - At least 14 dead after several tornados knocked Alabama, 3 Mar 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Tornado death-toll at 14, many still missing in Alabama

[...]

Jones said: “I can say that at this time we have 14 confirmed fatalities. And again, the search continues. We still have some people that are reported missing.”

He adds that several people have been taken to hospitals, “some of them with very serious injuries.”

An Alabama coroner says he expects the number of deaths from a possible tornado to rise as search crews comb through rubble and debris.

Lee County Coroner Bill Harris told Al.com on Sunday evening that two people are confirmed dead in Beauregard, Alabama, but he expects more bodies to be found.

Harris says: “We’ve still got people being pulled out of rubble. We’re going to be here all night.”

Alabama Emergency Management Agency spokesman Gregory Robinson says no deaths have been reported in the state beyond Lee County, about 60 miles (95 kilometers) east of Montgomery. But Robinson says teams are still assessing damage in several Alabama counties.

[...]

Anybody know when this hit?

I was traveling through Lee County (though from best I can tell, at least 6-8 miles from the area of most damage) around 4pm CDT and the weather was pretty calm by then. The hour or two before, when I was further south, it was like a monsoon -- though where I was it was just torrential rains and flooding, I didn't notice any heavy wind and definitely didn't notice any funnel clouds.

It's the cold front coming through and hitting all the warm, humid air that's been hanging over the southeast.

There were numerous tornados across the region but the one I was thinking about southeast of Opelika looks like it struck a bit after 2pm CDT. Or at least, I see a tornado alert for then. There were two tornados in an hour, though, so not sure if that was the first or the second one.

The Latest: Coroner says death toll may rise to at least 20

A coroner in southeast Alabama says he expects the death toll to rise to at least 20 from an apparent tornado in hard-hit Lee County.

Lee County Coroner Bill Harris told The Associated Press that he has called in help from elsewhere around the state because there were more bodies than his four-person office can handle. Says Harris of the victims in the hard-hit county: "I'd say at least 20 or more."

[...]

Two people are killed and multiple injured when tornado destroyed homes in southeast Alabama | Daily Mail Online

More than 14 people have been killed in Alabama after tornadoes hit that state and Georgia on Sunday.

Lee County Sheriff Jay Jones confirmed at least 14 people were dead, and family members told WSFA 12 one of the fatalities in Beauregard, Alabama was an eight-year-old girl.

'I can say that at this time we have 14 confirmed fatalities. And again, the search continues. We still have some people that are reported missing,' Jones told WRBL-TV He didn't elaborate on the exact number of those missing.

The sheriff said that the tornado had carved 'catastrophic' a path of destruction a quarter-mile wide and several miles long through the community about 60 miles east of Montgomery, near the Georgia border.

[...]

upload_2019-3-4_4-36-46.jpegupload_2019-3-4_4-36-58.jpegupload_2019-3-4_4-37-10.jpegupload_2019-3-4_4-37-25.jpegupload_2019-3-4_4-37-37.jpegupload_2019-3-4_4-37-53.jpeg

Video footage posted by Weather Nation showed homes completely destroyed in Talbotton, Georgia and Smiths Station, Alabama, where a cell phone tower was also seen toppled.

Radar and video evidence showed what looked like a large tornado crossing the area near Beauregard shortly after 2pm Sunday, said meteorologist Meredith Wyatt with the Birmingham, Alabama, office of the National Weather Service.

[...]

upload_2019-3-4_4-38-42.jpegupload_2019-3-4_4-38-56.jpegupload_2019-3-4_4-39-22.jpegupload_2019-3-4_4-39-8.jpeg

Here are a couple of screenshots I took from radar that show multiple areas of intense rotation happening simultaneously. It was a very scary outbreak!

Attachments

• 783C0351-187E-49D5-B283-11DE0F9CE7D6.png
    783C0351-187E-49D5-B283-11DE0F9CE7D6.png
    478.7 KB · Views: 11
  • C04F9327-C5B7-4F96-ADC4-F5C2E46BC767.png
    C04F9327-C5B7-4F96-ADC4-F5C2E46BC767.png
    584.8 KB · Views: 10
I have friends that left for Lee County, AL early this morning to search for family. They have been able to confirm that their family members home has been destroyed, but have not been able to reach them or get any word on their whereabouts. Praying!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paperdoll1
Back