AL AL - Brittney Wood, 19, Mobile, 31 May 2012 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the clarification.
I know from experience with other cases that it can drive a person crazy trying to figure everything out.
My approach is to adhere to the facts as best I can and form a working hypothesis from them.
I have intentionally avoided reading through all the commentary because it is easy to have opinions sway one's thinking.

According to BrittsStepMom Donnie sold prescription pills.

• I was told it was Loratab 7.5mg street value $4 each and Oxycontin 60mg IDK street value of those and he got them mid month and that's when Britt got the new sim card 5/15/12 and mins for the phone. I never heard mention of methadone only the 2 pain meds for a bad back (disk I think)

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Maps-*NO-DISCUSSION*&p=10506655#post10506655

Depending on the desperation, the lortabs can go for up to 6.00 each. As for anything Oxy (Oxycontin the long acting/slow release or Oxycodone the quick release), those go for 1.00/mg. So one 60mg pill goes for 60.00. That's the general rule, but i'm sure it varies by location.

On interesting thing in the article"
Although Wood's body has not been found, she is thought to be dead at this point. http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-...ncest-Ring-Unravels-After-Teens-Disappearance.
While the article doesn't specify who thinks she is dead, I will assume it is the police. Normally, authorities are tight lipped about missing persons. Even if they think someone is dead, they rarely say that to the media. Wonder if they know more than they have told. Maybe someone confessed something they know but police are keeping it quiet until they can corroborate.

Killing someone is not something that one does for no reason.
It is the ultimate crime and it usually requires extreme anger or desperation.

Does everyone believe that Brittney's disappearance was caused by a family member or acquaintance?
If so, what information did she possibly possess that cost her her life?
It had to something that drove the killer to anger or desperation...
Is it possible a third party was involved (family member or friend)?

Or do you believe this was a crime of circumstance by a stranger?

Does everyone believe that Brittney's disappearance was caused by a family member or acquaintance?

I personally do not believe this was a crime of circumstance by a stranger. I believe whatever WWH learned from the detective that visited the evening of 5/30 around 7pmish is what set the wheels in motion for why I believe Brittney was murdered. Likely Donnie too. I have always felt Donnie may have known Brittney was murdered and her murderer(s) were concerned with Donnie keeping his lips sealed. Imo, Donnie was eliminated.

I believe Wendy killed them both. With help of course

On interesting thing in the article"
While the article doesn't specify who thinks she is dead, I will assume it is the police. Normally, authorities are tight lipped about missing persons. Even if they think someone is dead, they rarely say that to the media. Wonder if they know more than they have told. Maybe someone confessed something they know but police are keeping it quiet until they can corroborate.

Baldwin County Sheriff Huey "Hoss" Mack said in September that he fears Wood is dead.

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index..._in_wood_family_s.html#incart_related_stories

I personally do not believe this was a crime of circumstance by a stranger. I believe whatever WWH learned from the detective that visited the evening of 5/30 around 7pmish is what set the wheels in motion for why I believe Brittney was murdered. Likely Donnie too. I have always felt Donnie may have known Brittney was murdered and her murderer(s) were concerned with Donnie keeping his lips sealed. Imo, Donnie was eliminated.

Can you elaborate without compromising the investigation?
As I said earlier, I have not read throught the entire threads on the case.
I don't know who WWH is and could you shed any light on what the detective may have said?

An interesting theory on Donnie.
I don't believe Donnie suicided himself either.
It sounds like it goes back to some pending event that Brittney was to be part of?
What about the relative who confided in her about the rapes by the three relatives via Facebook on the 27th?

If you can't disclose publicly, I understand.

Name DOBrelationship to Brittney1st arrest2nd arrest3rd arrestSweep4th arrestJurisdictionNotes
Holland, Donald 2/12/1968Uncle by marriage (WWH)deceased via allegedsuicide
Kent, Dustin 05/27/1976Uncle by marriage (MWK)06/19/1207/16/1208/02/1210/22/13 *advertiser censored*BothGuiltyPlea in Both
Wood, Scott 12/1/1969Uncle06/19/1210/22/13BothGuiltyPlea in Baldwin Co
Wood, Derek 5/26/1991Brother07/13/12BaldwinSealed-Youthful Status Granted
Holland Jr, Donald Paul 12/20/1991Step-cousin (DH's son not by WWH)07/17/12BaldwinSealed-Youthful Status Granted
Brownlee, William 3/19/1964family friend07/22/1210/22/13BothTrial-Not Guilty Plea Baldwin
Holland, Wendy Wood 8/15/1979Aunt08/22/1211/29/1210/22/139/22/2014Both
Wood, ChessieMother06/27/1310/22/2013*trafficMobileNot guilty plea entered
Morgan, Nelton "Butch" 8/3/1966family friend (aka truckdriver)10/22/13*warrantMobile
Cumbaa, James 11/17/1980related to DH by marriage10/22/13Mobile
Kent, Mendy Wood 8/15/1979Aunt10/22/13Mobile
Moore, Jennifer 5/14/1981family friend (WWH's BFF)11/04/13 *advertiser censored*Baldwin

Bold, Italics is potential life sentence. Bond violation arrests excluded.
Dustin's plea agreement in Both counties on all charges removing life potential is noted. (Is this correct even on the *advertiser censored* charge?)
http://fox10tv.com/2014/08/07/dustin-kent-chessie-wood-enter-pleas-in-sex-abuse-case/
Additions and updates/corrections welcome.

WWH is Wendy, Donald's widow, Chessie, Scott & Mendy's sister, Brittney's aunt.
Before their arrests, we had to use their initials. Yes, it was difficult and still is to keep all the relationships straight.
1 year ago today for Jennifer.

It is my understanding that Brittney called Donald to come pick her up. This is after she
v1. Left Chessie's house happy as a lark.
v2. Left Chessie's house after an argument with Chessie over babysitting.
v3. Left Chessie's house to confront Donald over sex crimes.

Which version is the truth?

Also, IIRC between the departure from Chessie's house and being picked up by Donald, Brittney called AH (P's dad) to hang out and he declined. Per Britt's stepmom, he noticed nothing unusual in her demeanor on this voice call.

And at what point, did Wendy alert the family that the detectives were at Wendy's house interviewing Wendy that very same night? And it was months before we learned that they were there:
1. Not looking for Brittney.
2. Not looking for Donald.
3. To interview Wendy.

IMO, I'd eliminate v3. bc now in hindsight we know Brittney wouldn't have reason to question Donnie bc he and Wendy videotaped her when she was younger (as well as another young person close to her). Why would she need to question somebody about something she already knows about? If anything she might have just wanted to give Donnie a heads up about the FB conversation she had with a victim - bc again there's no reason to be surprised considering it happened to her as well. Also, that "confronting Donnie" thing originated with Chessie...which leads me to -

Maybe eliminate v.2 bc maybe the argument wasn't over babysitting now that I think about it. I remember there was a time when Chessie denied that argument saying it never happened...so maybe there was an argument but maybe it had nothing to do with babysitting. Knowing Chessie was indicted on molestation charges as well, maybe they all knew the $hit was hitting the fan so maybe they all had to enter cya mode - hence Brittney being elimated bc she is believed to hold the key. She's most knowledgable bc she was there on tape. Which in turn leads me to -

v.1 I don't believe Britt was happy as a lark. I think she was scared to death. I think no matter what happen with Donnie, I believe she trusted him more than anyone bc he is the one that always came through for her (maybe in her mind). Maybe she overlooked stuff he did bc it was the norm in that family so she may have just learned to accept it - not condone it but accept that it's her family's type of normal. This leads me to -

1. 2. & 3. Leaves Wendy wide the he!! open. It also shines a light on everyone else surrounding these kids, including her own mother.

KateB, I just want you to know that I'm so happy you're still posting on here. I love brainstorming with you...with everyone else as well...

Something else I'd like to note without mentioning the people's names... If you do a search on these perps' new & old addresses, you'll come across some neighbors that are serious sex offenders. Just thought that was interesting that like minded individuals seem to congregate near one another...

Hi Steph! Great interview and thank you :)

If possible, could you answer a few questions I have from the article? If not, I understand. TIA

1. The article appears to state as fact Brittney's gun and cellphone battery were found in Donnie's car. Is this speculation or has it been proven these items did indeed belong to Brittney?

2. The article included the detail of where Donnie was shot, behind his ear/head, with the added comment authorites considered it an odd area for a self inflicted gunshot wound. Can you say where this info came from?

I see Chessie was quoted in the article. Hence one of the reasons I don't know what to take as fact.

I thought Zeaux told us in the beginning that he was shot behind his ear toward the back of his head? Thought at the time he must have known what he was doing if he committed suicide bc if he would have swallowed the barrel it could have been a clean shot through with a better chance of survival. Then police were adamant he did kill himself even though we questioned Wendy, among others. I'm still up in the air if he killed himself or not.

As far as the battery is concerned, I've always thought it was planted there so as to make Donnie look like the culprit for Britt's disappearance.

Can you elaborate without compromising the investigation?
As I said earlier, I have not read throught the entire threads on the case.
I don't know who WWH is and could you shed any light on what the detective may have said?

An interesting theory on Donnie.
I don't believe Donnie suicided himself either.
It sounds like it goes back to some pending event that Brittney was to be part of?
What about the relative who confided in her about the rapes by the three relatives via Facebook on the 27th?

If you can't disclose publicly, I understand.

Considering Brittney already put grandma's boyfriend who lived with Chessie & Brittney in prison for life, that alone might could cause a hate filled need for revenge and/or put a fear of ending up like him to any and all of the 11-12 named suspects and any still unnamed presently.
http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2014/08/missing_woman_brittany_wood_wa.html

Also, sometimes I think the victim being discussed in the letters written to Wendy is feared as being just as powerful a witness as Brittney would have been and its possible, this person reached out to Brittney on FB after contacting law enforcement. And the family thought Brittney had snitched. This one is a long shot, but I still wonder if she was taken out for something she didn't do. (Maybe the Scott initiated investigation into Donald would fit this theory, as well. ) LE wasn't aware of the social media exchange until July 2012?, (made public in April 2013) but it doesn't necessarily mean they weren't aware of the rapes when visiting Wendy on 5/30/2012. Right?

Considering Brittney already put grandma's boyfriend who lived with Chessie & Brittney in prison for life, that alone might could cause a hate filled need for revenge and/or put a fear of ending up like him to any and all of the 11-12 named suspects and any still unnamed presently.
http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2014/08/missing_woman_brittany_wood_wa.html

Also, sometimes I think the victim being discussed in the letters written to Wendy is feared as being just as powerful a witness as Brittney would have been and its possible, this person reached out to Brittney on FB after contacting law enforcement. And the family thought Brittney had snitched. This one is a long shot, but I still wonder if she was taken out for something she didn't do. (Maybe the Scott initiated investigation into Donald would fit this theory, as well. ) LE wasn't aware of the social media exchange until July 2012?, (made public in April 2013) but it doesn't necessarily mean they weren't aware of the rapes when visiting Wendy on 5/30/2012. Right?

Law enforcement is already arranging plea deals for some of the perpetrators of the sex abuse case.
I think that is where the solution to Brittney's case lies. Murder is very difficult to keep secret, especially if more than one person knows about it. That knowledge can always be used as leverage to lessen charges against the person who knew, should they get into trouble.
The sex abuse case presents that opportunity very nicely, since those who are convicted face very long prison terms.

Hopefully, law enforcement is pressing for info on Brittney's disappearance each time they talk to the offenders.
Something will turn up before the case is done. There are too any people involved for at least one person not to know what happened to her.

Law enforcement should also contact all of Brittney's friends to see if any of them were told by Brittney, who she may have been afraid of.

Another group I would definitely lean on are the three relatives that raped the girl that confided in Brittney.

It will come out before the smoke settles in this case.

The evening of 5/30 the detective wanted to talk to Wendy about the sex abuse investigation. IIRC, it was not a planned visit. Imo, whatever details came from that visit put Wendy in CYA mode. Panic mode. Was Wendy told about more allegations or maybe even the Facebook exchanges with Brittney? At the same time Wendy was meeting with the detective, Donnie would have been picking up Brittney and headed to Styx.

I believe when the detective left, Wendy freaked out. It is very likely the first person she called was Donnie, who would have been with Brittney. Wendy probably called Donnie to tell him he had to meet with LE the next day and found out he was with Brittney. This was an unexpected meeting the next day, not something that had been planned. Imo, the next 24 hours were crucial for the perps to get their stories straight. Very little time to prepare. I believe several heated conversations went down that evening. Since Brittney was hanging with Donnie she would have been right in the middle of it all. Donnie and Brittney did not know about the detective visit until after Brittney was already picked up. I personally believe they probably would not have planned to hang out if they had known.

I believe at some point Wendy, Donnie, Jennifer and Brittney were all together. Wendy had to meet with her husband before his meeting with LE and her best friend (charged with *advertiser censored*) accompanied her. I believe this is when Brittney was murdered. I don't believe it was planned because I don't believe Donnie would have went along with it. Wendy was likely in a very unstable frame of mind and maybe murdered Brittney in a rage fueled state. Did Donnie help hide the body, I don't know. But I believe he was struggling with keeping quiet and his wife sensed it. Hence one of the many reasons I believe he was murdered right before he was to meet with LE.

Wendy's actions when she allegedly found her husband with a self inflicted gunshot wound were completely irrational. IIRC, she deleted messages on his phone before calling 911? There is something very wrong with that picture. There were several hours to think about eliminating Donnie after Brittney was murdered. Donnie cared for Brittney, however unusual their relationship may have been and I think Wendy had some jealousy issues. As well I think Donnie was killed for multiple reasons. One, hoping the investigation would end with his death. Two, he was a witness to Brittney's murder. Third, he was worth more dead than alive or in prison. All my opinion.

ETA - Fourth. I think it is possible Donnie's murder was also a setup to make it look like he killed Brittney. He had Brittney's gun and allegedly Brittney's cellphone battery was found in his SUV by his wife Wendy! Important to note, the battery was found after LE released the vehicle to Wendy. Everything was supposed to end with Donnie's alleged suicide.

Law enforcement is already arranging plea deals for some of the perpetrators of the sex abuse case.
I think that is where the solution to Brittney's case lies. Murder is very difficult to keep secret, especially if more than one person knows about it. That knowledge can always be used as leverage to lessen charges against the person who knew, should they get into trouble.
The sex abuse case presents that opportunity very nicely, since those who are convicted face very long prison terms.

Hopefully, law enforcement is pressing for info on Brittney's disappearance each time they talk to the offenders.
Something will turn up before the case is done. There are too any people involved for at least one person not to know what happened to her.

Law enforcement should also contact all of Brittney's friends to see if any of them were told by Brittney, who she may have been afraid of.

Another group I would definitely lean on are the three relatives that raped the girl that confided in Brittney.

It will come out before the smoke settles in this case.
BBM (bolded by me)

Of those 3 relatives, one is dead and the other 2 have already plead guilty to the charges. But I am still hopeful some leads come from those remaining that will lead to Brittney. I really want to know if the letter Brittney wrote is real and I really want to read the letters to and from Wendy. All the public statements made so far have not had anything promising regarding what happened to Brittney and finding her at all. But I am hopeful as we get to the final four - will that be Wendy, Mendy, Morgan & Cumbaa? - anything about Brittney's disappearance will come out.

I'm still stuck on " she's naming the 4 of us" mentioned in the letter to Wendy.

http://youtu.be/pcBtgZ5U40w
http://youtu.be/_U6ouTcDzHY

Thanks for the information.
I have been involved in these types of conversations with people and I will input how they generally go.
You are very close in your summary here.
My input will be bolded.

The evening of 5/30 the detective wanted to talk to Wendy about the sex abuse investigation. IIRC, it was not a planned visit. Imo, whatever details came from that visit put Wendy in CYA mode. Panic mode. Was Wendy told about more allegations or maybe even the Facebook exchanges with Brittney? At the same time Wendy was meeting with the detective, Donnie would have been picking up Brittney and headed to Styx.

Detective arrives and askes to talk to her and her husband. Donnie is not home so he proceeds with her. The det. indicates that he is investigating some allegations of possible crimes and her name has come up in the investigation. He will offer her an opportunity to explain why her name would come up and they would converse back and forth. He would ask her when her husband would be home and tell her that it is imperative that he speak with Donnie. She may have called Donnie while the det. is there and arrangments are made for Donnie to meet the det. the next day. The det. will not do anything at this point to tip his hand as to what he may know about the case. The det. will then leave and await Donnie the next day.

I believe when the detective left, Wendy freaked out. It is very likely the first person she called was Donnie, who would have been with Brittney. Wendy probably called Donnie to tell him he had to meet with LE the next day and found out he was with Brittney. This was an unexpected meeting the next day, not something that had been planned. Imo, the next 24 hours were crucial for the perps to get their stories straight. Very little time to prepare. I believe several heated conversations went down that evening. Since Brittney was hanging with Donnie she would have been right in the middle of it all. Donnie and Brittney did not know about the detective visit until after Brittney was already picked up. I personally believe they probably would not have planned to hang out if they had known.

I believe at some point Wendy, Donnie, Jennifer and Brittney were all together. Wendy had to meet with her husband before his meeting with LE and her best friend (charged with *advertiser censored*) accompanied her. I believe this is when Brittney was murdered. I don't believe it was planned because I don't believe Donnie would have went along with it. Wendy was likely in a very unstable frame of mind and maybe murdered Brittney in a rage fueled state. Did Donnie help hide the body, I don't know. But I believe he was struggling with keeping quiet and his wife sensed it. Hence one of the many reasons I believe he was murdered right before he was to meet with LE.

This is the critical point of the evening. With this pending meeting hanging over his head, what does Donnie do?
At this point he is supposedly alone with Brittney at his Styx River home.
Do they discuss it? Does he ask her what she knows about the case?
Are there any records of further phone calls from Wendy?
There is no indication that Donnie and Brittney went back to Tillmans according to cell pings.
What motive would Wendy have for killing Brittney?
The det. would never mention Brittney making any allegations against Wendy, while in her home.
What would have incited her rage then? (Assuming that is true).

Wendy's actions when she allegedly found her husband with a self inflicted gunshot wound were completely irrational. IIRC, she deleted messages on his phone before calling 911? There is something very wrong with that picture. There were several hours to think about eliminating Donnie after Brittney was murdered. Donnie cared for Brittney, however unusual their relationship may have been and I think Wendy had some jealousy issues. As well I think Donnie was killed for multiple reasons. One, hoping the investigation would end with his death. Two, he was a witness to Brittney's murder. Third, he was worth more dead than alive or in prison. All my opinion.

Wendy must have known there were some incriminating texts on his phone for her to have deleted them. Probably related to the incest case.
Was she protecting herself, the ultimate killer of Brittney, or Donnie?
Wasn't Brittney's gun used to kill Donnie?
Who would have known it was in the truck?
Self preservation is the strongest motivator to force one's hand.
There is a limit to what someone will do to protect someone else but no limit to protecting yourself.

Thanks for the information.
I have been involved in these types of conversations with people and I will input how they generally go.
You are very close in your summary here.
My input will be bolded.

Detective arrives and askes to talk to her and her husband. Donnie is not home so he proceeds with her. The det. indicates that he is investigating some allegations of possible crimes and her name has come up in the investigation. He will offer her an opportunity to explain why her name would come up and they would converse back and forth. He would ask her when her husband would be home and tell her that it is imperative that he speak with Donnie. She may have called Donnie while the det. is there and arrangments are made for Donnie to meet the det. the next day. The det. will not do anything at this point to tip his hand as to what he may know about the case. The det. will then leave and await Donnie the next day.

RSBM - Re your response to Lash bolded above... Normally I'd agree with your assessment but in this case it's incorrect. The police already knew Donnie wasn't living there as he'd been out & in one of Jenny's parent's properties for a few months. He already knew he was under investigation for child molestation and therefore wasn't allowed around the child he molested. The night that Wendy, Donald & the kids had dinner at Jen's - only the boys were present. The police had to know where Donnie moved to bc of what he was under investigation for, it'd have to be on file. Originally we thought he wasn't supposed to be around any children, but as it turns out he was to avoid all contact with only the victim at hand at that moment. So the detective went to their home to specifically speak with Wendy, which I for one think is interesting when considering all that we know now. Kinda crazy, huh? Alot of what a good cop does deals with following up on instincts. With this case, these detectives were 100% on the ball!

Gunther, welcome to Websleuths. Very happy to see new thoughts weighing in on these threads. I'm one of the many people here that absolutely believes more people are involved than just those arrested.

BBM (bolded by me)

Of those 3 relatives, one is dead and the other 2 have already plead guilty to the charges. But I am still hopeful some leads come from those remaining that will lead to Brittney. I really want to know if the letter Brittney wrote is real and I really want to read the letters to and from Wendy. All the public statements made so far have not had anything promising regarding what happened to Brittney and finding her at all. But I am hopeful as we get to the final four - will that be Wendy, Mendy, Morgan & Cumbaa? - anything about Brittney's disappearance will come out.

I'm still stuck on " she's naming the 4 of us" mentioned in the letter to Wendy.

http://youtu.be/pcBtgZ5U40w
http://youtu.be/_U6ouTcDzHY

Hey Kate, have you noticed any authority talking about the letter Brittney wrote? I've only heard them speaking about incriminating letters between Wendy and someone else that was based on a letter that Brittney supposedly penned incriminating several people. That leads me to question if there was really a letter from Brittney to her friend in the first place, whom in turn was supposed to give it the police if something happened to Britt. Maybe police just mentioned something like that as a tactic while interrogating a perp. They can say anything within reason while interrogating to get a person to turn or give up info. The more I think about it, something about that supposed letter incriminating certain people doesn't sit right with me. The person Britt supposedly wrote it to never came forward, not even after all of these arrests and subsequent convictions. They're incarcerated now but the person still didn't come forward? It makes me wonder if there was truly even a letter in the first place. Kwim? I'm wondering if detectives were questioning people, interrogating them, maybe said hey there's a letter that Brittney wrote to a friend of hers incriminating you guys, yada yada. Then maybe the person (or people) they interrogated relayed that in a letter written to Wendy, maybe even assuming who the supposed friend was that Britt would have written the "incriminating letter" to. Maybe it was a self incriminating nail in the coffin for whomever corresponded with Wendy, maybe another penalty that can be held against them. The reason I question the letter at all is bc we don't know if a person came forward to provide that to the police yet - or did I miss that somewhere?

RSBM - Re your response to Lash bolded above... Normally I'd agree with your assessment but in this case it's incorrect. The police already knew Donnie wasn't living there as he'd been out & in one of Jenny's parent's properties for a few months. He already knew he was under investigation for child molestation and therefore wasn't allowed around the child he molested. The night that Wendy, Donald & the kids had dinner at Jen's - only the boys were present. The police had to know where Donnie moved to bc of what he was under investigation for, it'd have to be on file. Originally we thought he wasn't supposed to be around any children, but as it turns out he was to avoid all contact with only the victim at hand at that moment. So the detective went to their home to specifically speak with Wendy, which I for one think is interesting when considering all that we know now. Kinda crazy, huh? Alot of what a good cop does deals with following up on instincts. With this case, these detectives were 100% on the ball!

Gunther, welcome to Websleuths. Very happy to see new thoughts weighing in on these threads. I'm one of the many people here that absolutely believes more people are involved than just those arrested.

Well thank you Jersey Girl.
I am not really new here, I just don't post very much.
I have been working on a 57 year old cold case in Chicago that you can read about here if you wish.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...cago-December-27-1956&p=10915566#post10915566

My partner and I have uncovered new evidence for the case and have recently had meetings with some high ranking law enforcement officials in Chicago and it looks like we have convinced them to take a new look at the case.

I came across Brittney's case by accident and found it very sad, that's why I began commenting on it.
Unfortunately, I don't live near the area so I can only comment from afar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx