Found Alive AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, 911 call reported toddler walking on side of interstate, car found, she & toddler gone, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And how was her phone disconnected from the second call? They can tell if it was manually powered down.
If I recall, the family member on the other end of the call could hear "noise" that was later determined to be the traffic. This leads me to assume (dangerously) that the phone was dropped with out disconnecting or being powered down until it was located.
edited to add a link:
Search continues for Carlee Russell: Woman vanished in Hoover after reporting child walking on I-459
"After calling 911, Russell stopped to check on the child and called a family member to report the same details, Lowe said. The family member lost contact with her, but the line remained open.
BBM

Last edited:
OMG I love the family's statement. Whatever took place, I personally do not think it was a scam of any kind by Carlee. So her fear that day and the subsequent fear that her family and loved ones had was 100% real.

After so many cases that did not end with a victim appearing safe, this was a highlight.
I agree. I don't believe any scam, hoax, or such happened here. I think she is genuinely traumatized, whether somebody else was involved or not.
I'm glad she has such a supportive family, and that police are allowing her some space during the investigation.

okay, so I’m puzzling over this part:

“I believe we located her. We got a call about a female screaming with a child…Be advised, the female screamed and the line disconnected.”

What does this mean?! Does this mean they got a call from Carlee’s family about the scream on the phone call with her brother’s gf? Or does it mean that someone else called 911 to report a female screaming with a child?

I keep re-reading it but I can’t understand why they would say, “I believe we located her,” if they were just referring to the call where she screamed and went silent.

It very much stood out to me that she did not remain on the line until assistance had physically arrived. Especially considering the urgency of the call that it was a child, alone on the side of a very busy highway, at 9:30 at night.
I'd be very curious to hear what the dispatch operator had to say about how/why the call ended before assistance arrived.

I'd sure like to hear that 911 call.
In one of the audios they said she “disconnected” which led me to believe she hung up.

But many living in the area where Russell disappeared complained about not being given enough information about what happened—and whether there's a risk to the community.

"First I want to say I am so thankful she is home. No matter if she was found or came home on her own," a woman living in the area wrote on Facebook, responding to the latest update by Hoover police.

"While that piece of the puzzle is important, I would like to know if this was an abduction, if so is there a sketch or description of the abductor? You see many of us in this community have daughters and even ourselves who are caring, concerned human beings who if we saw a child in distress would stop in an instant to help that child. So HPD and respectfully Carlee's family, we have the right to know whether our safety is in danger as well."

The woman went on to say she was "also very bothered and concerned if there was a child (toddler) being exploited and used as bait why no one seems focused on the safety of the child."

"If there is a kidnapper on the loose, the women of the Birmingham area need to know this and ASAP!," another added. Another resident echoed her words, saying that as much as she understood the Russell family's need for privacy, "we are the same ppl that was ready to do whatever to help find the young lady!!!" and deserve to know the truth.

I'll share a little bit of my experience that feels relevant to this case.
So glad you're who he ran into. Thanks for sharing your story. Regarding other reactions... if people don't believe you for some reason they're free to scroll on. I've found a lost kid before myself. Not sure if people on a missing persons website just think kids don't disappear or what lol. I found your post informative. Thanks again

okay, so I’m puzzling over this part:

“I believe we located her. We got a call about a female screaming with a child…Be advised, the female screamed and the line disconnected.”

What does this mean?! Does this mean they got a call from Carlee’s family about the scream on the phone call with her brother’s gf? Or does it mean that someone else called 911 to report a female screaming with a child?

I keep re-reading it but I can’t understand why they would say, “I believe we located her,” if they were just referring to the call where she screamed and went silent.
YES! I now THINK the call about the woman with a baby screaming was from Carlee’s SIL.
I didn’t think I would be MORE baffled when additional information came out, but I am. I wish they could release the actual 911 calls. Listening to dispatchers relaying information adds another layer of confusion for me.

Also, IMHO, I think the police owe the public some sort of statement regardless of what’s happening behind the scenes. If they don’t believe there is a danger to the public, there’s no issue with them saying that and still continuing with their investigation.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> I also feel that the focus on mental illness here is a bit misguided. I think it’s a way for people to try to rationalize behavior that doesn’t seem to make sense, but IMO the question of, “what?” has to be answered before the question of “why?” And we definitely don’t know what exactly happened at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like you can get directly in a motel room at the Red Roof Inns without having to go through the lobby or see anyone working there as you come and go. It is possible that someone could have had room there and brought her to room without any staff noticing. But what I still dont understand is the phone call she made to her family saying she was at the RRI. Do we know the timeline from the call to her parents and what time she ended up at home?

Again, why wouldn't you call 911 immediately before your family? Did she call from burner, someone else's phone, the phone in the room, etc.? Did this person leave or let her make the call and why after making the call would just leave the room immediately (as we know her fam called LE right away so they would have sent LE there quickly) and arrive home on foot?

It looks like you can get directly in a motel room at the Red Roof Inns without having to go through the lobby or see anyone working there as you come and go. It is possible that someone could have had room there and brought her to room without any staff noticing. But what I still dont understand is the phone call she made to her family saying she was at the RRI. Do we know the timeline from the call to her parents and what time she ended up at home?

Again, why wouldn't you call 911 immediately before your family? Did she call from burner, someone else's phone, the phone in the room, etc.? Did this person leave or let her make the call and why after making the call would just leave the room immediately (as we know her fam called LE right away so they would have sent LE there quickly) and arrive home on foot?
I’m confused about the call given that the family refuted it as untrue. Which family member was it that gave the information that spurred the call? Doesn’t seem like someone in her immediate family. IMO

Just because she called from the RRI doesn't mean she was in a room or had a room there. She could have been in the parking lot. She could have asked someone for help in the lobby. It might be a landmark used to state where she was.

If you have the courage and time, her flashing hazard lights appear on the very lower right of the screen at the 9:31:35 timestamp which is in the upper right corner of the video, which is also at the timestamp of 31:35 into GH's video. A few min later, the same car drives up ahead to the location it was later found in.

Edited my post as my wording wasn't clear:

By stopping twice, it is strange to me. Was she or were "they" aware of that camera? Did someone decide that the dumping of the car had to be on camera so as to make it look like she acted alone? Were they/was she unaware of the camera so it's irrelevant? Did the first calls take place deliberately right at the base of the camera so whatever took place in location 1 could not be detected?

Ask me in an hour and I'm sure my mind will change again, though!

Thanks for this and I doubt I do have the courage to try again! LOL!

I guess the way I see it is if she sees this child in the dark going 70mph she is already past that child when she pulls over and calls 911. So this child is in imminent danger and she sits for 3 minutes with 911 instead of getting out of her car with her phone and walking back to the child. Makes no sense.
Then she drives forward slowly while talking to her friend again instead of going back for the endangered child. Makes no sense.
I know some are saying but that’s when she was taken and that explains all the strangeness. But with all that traffic, not one person saw anybody else near her car.
Lack of urgency once she was “found” is the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper