Found Deceased AL - Cheryl McBee Pence, 56, lost in the woods, Wilcox Co, 1 Jan 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
JAN 12, 2022
Colorado woman missing in Wilcox County still not found (clarkecountydemocrat.com)
[...]

A family member related that Pence had left home some time earlier and was said to be in Florida in the days and weeks before her disappearance. She was a successful flood insurance adjuster and was working in Florida. However, mental problems were suggested. McBee went looking for her and located her in Pensacola. They had also been in Orange Beach. They had started driving home when she stopped the car in southern Wilcox County and ran off into the woods. He followed her and became lost.

One report said that her Volkswagen became stuck in the mud and she may have deliberately gotten it stuck in order to get away from her son.

[...]

It is a baffling case. The family member said she was adamant about not going home with her son and may have run away on purpose.

Volunteers, rescue squads, law enforcement officers and others have searched for Pence with no luck in the vicinity of Wilcox County Road 45. The situation is dire. The nights the past week have been pretty cold, at or near freezing.

JAN 12, 2022
Colorado woman missing in Wilcox County still not found (clarkecountydemocrat.com)
[...]

A family member related that Pence had left home some time earlier and was said to be in Florida in the days and weeks before her disappearance. She was a successful flood insurance adjuster and was working in Florida. However, mental problems were suggested. McBee went looking for her and located her in Pensacola. They had also been in Orange Beach. They had started driving home when she stopped the car in southern Wilcox County and ran off into the woods. He followed her and became lost.

One report said that her Volkswagen became stuck in the mud and she may have deliberately gotten it stuck in order to get away from her son.

[...]

It is a baffling case. The family member said she was adamant about not going home with her son and may have run away on purpose.

Volunteers, rescue squads, law enforcement officers and others have searched for Pence with no luck in the vicinity of Wilcox County Road 45. The situation is dire. The nights the past week have been pretty cold, at or near freezing.
Holy moly what is going on?!

Last edited:
JAN 12, 2022
[...]

[...]

bbm
Some mild red flags here.
Has the son been questioned, and if so -- maybe he could show searchers in which direction she ran off ?
SAR dogs could be utilized to follow her trail ?
Imo.

bbm
Has the son been questioned, and if so -- maybe he could show searchers in which direction she ran off ?
Imo.
BBM According to the article, after he was treated at the hospital for dehydration, he was held in the Wilcox County Jail but not charged with anything. I'm not sure I understand that but I think it's fair to assume he was questioned.

Also odd is the route they took. If they were heading back to CO (the article says they were headed "home"), it seems like you would go I-10 from Pensacola/Mobile/Hattiesburg and then catch I-20 in Jackson. Why go SW to Orange Beach and then NE to McWilliams AL? o_O

Pensacola FL | Orange Beach FL | McWilliams AL - Google MAPS

Even stranger, if you were trying to get away from someone, why would you deliberately get your car stuck? :confused:

We are missing some key information. MOO

Last edited:
Just caught up. This sounds like a family effort to get her help. Perhaps she is paranoid, delusional?

It sounds like she's in survival mode but my heart breaks that she seems to be running from anyone trying to help her.

JMO

BBM According to the article, after he was treated at the hospital for dehydration, he was held in the Wilcox County Jail but not charged with anything. I'm not sure I understand that but I think it's fair to assume he was questioned.

Also odd is the route they took. If they were heading back to CO (the article says they were headed "home"), it seems like you would go I-10 from Pensacola/Mobile/Hattiesburg and then catch I-20 in Jackson. Why go SW to Orange Beach and then NE to McWilliams AL? o_O

Pensacola FL | Orange Beach FL | McWilliams AL - Google MAPS

Even stranger, if you were trying to get away from someone, why would you deliberately get your car stuck? :confused:

We are missing some key information. MOO
Oh yeah, I knew someone else mentioned the route, I should have quoted your post.

You really cannot get "lost" in the woods in Wilcox county. The land is either hunting property or forestry property and if you got lost, walking in any direction would take you to a house or town. The son's recollection of where she went and some sniffer dogs should help, but it's been a long time already.

bbm
Imo.
Sound like yes and he sitting in jail.
I feel awful for her. Her mental stability may be off, but I have lots of questions about this son.

Monroe County Sheriff Believes Body Found May Be That of Missing Colorado Woman - Alabama News

Monroe County Sheriff Tom Boatwright says the body of a female was found near the Monroe/Wilcox County line. It is believed that this may be the body of missing Colorado woman, Cheryl Pence.

As Alabama News Network has reported, the 56-year-old Pence of Rye, Colorado, and her son, 37-year-old Michael Brandon McBee, also of Rye, Colorado, had been reported missing on New Year’s Day.

Search crews found McBee in the woods on Monday, January 3. He was taken to a hospital for treatment.

Pence’s husband Doug Pence spoke to Alabama News Network about his wife on January 4.

“She’s got some mental issues. She’s not herself at all. And so yeah, we just need to find her and get her the help we need,” he said.

It’s not clear how Pence and McBee got into the woods.

Boatwright said the body was found at about 10:30 Thursday morning when the hunter tried to enter a shooting house, but found the house was locked. The hunter notified a search team that was already working in the area, searching for Pence. That search team found the body.

Boatwright said that foul play does not appear to be involved, but that the body has been sent for forensic analysis. Boatwright said the woman seems to have gone into the house to get out of the elements.​
Body found in Monroe County may be missing Colorado woman, Sheriffs say | WKRG

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephNTexas