GUILTY AL - Curtis James Oakes, 6 mos, found in motel freezer, Dothan, 4 June 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Niner

Long time Websleuther
Reaction score
"...On Monday, Dothan police announced Amanda Gail Oakes, 36, was charged with manslaughter in the death of little Curtis James Oakes, according to a news release obtained by PEOPLE.

On June 4, the 36-year-old and her boyfriend, Carlton James Mathis, 28, were charged with abuse of a corpse after they were arrested in Bronson, Florida, according to police....

Police have not announced the baby’s cause of death."

6-Month-Old Had Been Dead in Hotel Freezer for at Least 5 Days — and Mom is Charged

Update:

JUNE 6, 2018

"...According to the Dothan, Alabama Police Department, Mathis and Amanda Oakes, 36, are charged with murder in connection with the death of their 6-month-old son, Curtis Oakes.

The baby’s body was found in a freezer at a hotel in Dothan where the couple had been staying. Investigators believe the body had been in the freezer for 5 – 6 days....

Mathis and Oakes are charged with one count of abuse of a corpse. They are being held on $15,000 bond.

Murder charges are expected to be filed once an autopsy is completed and investigators learn how the baby was killed."

Couple accused of killing baby, leaving body in hotel freezer

and here's what I put together:

Arrested – AL – Curtis James Oakes (6 mos) (June 4, 2018; found in motel freezer in there for 5-6 days) – Amanda Gail Oakes (36) charged (6/4/18) with manslaughter & abuse of corpse. No bond.
*Carlton James Mathis (28) charged (6/4/18) with abuse of corpse. $1M bond. Murder charges are expect against Mathis once he is extradited back to Alabama from Florida.

I tried to get into the Levy County, Florida to see what's going on with Mathis' case there. From the link I posted (#1) from article:

A Levy County, Fla., judge set Mathis’ bond at $1 million on charges of assault, drug possession, weapon possession by a convicted felon and child neglect.

Watkins said it will be up to a judge to decide if Mathis will be extradited to Alabama or if his Florida charges will be disposed first. Authorities in Houston County, Ala., are still waiting on the 6-month-old’s official autopsy report. They have not released the baby’s cause of death.

Until then, Dothan police have placed a hold on Mathis. Oakes’ criminal proceedings will move forward.

She's in the Houston County jail in Alabama.

Anyone? TIA!

just bumping this up to see if anything is going on with Mathis' case in Florida, so LE can get his a$$ up to Alabama!!

Sorry other charges didnt paste. A number of drug ones and theres

PERSON WHO WILLFULLY OR BY CULPABLE NEGLIGENCE NEGLECTS A CHILD WITHOUT CAUSING GREAT BODILY HARM OR PERMANENT DISABILITY OR PERMANENT DISFIGUREMENT TO THE CHILD (827.03(2)(d

If it's Carlton James Mathis - then it is correct.

I can't get into Levy County court site.... :(
Same county as Lois Reiss' trial will be.

Wednesday, Nov. 7th:
*Case Management Conference in FL (@ ET) – AL – Curtis James Oakes (6 mos) (6une 4, 2018, Dothan; found in motel freezer in there for 5-6 days) – *Carlton James Mathis (28) (BF) charged (6/4/18) with abuse of corpse. $1M bond.
Murder charges are expected against Mathis once he is extradited back to Alabama from Florida.
7/5/18 Update: Florida charged Mathis with assault, drug possession, weapons possession by committed felon & child abuse. $1M bond. It will be up to Florida Judge whether he’ll be extradited to Alabama or face Florida charges first. Once police have Mathis, Oakes criminal proceedings will more forward.
10/29/18 Update: For Mathis in Florida: Case Management Conference hearing on 11/7.
*Amanda Gail Oakes (36) “mom” charged (6/4/18) with manslaughter & abuse of corpse. No bond.
No update on Oakes as of 10/29. Must wait for Florida case to be over.

No her, Amanda. I couldnt find her in Alabama but I must be looking wrong since surely shes in jail.

No her, Amanda. I couldnt find her in Alabama but I must be looking wrong since surely shes in jail.

DA said they will not do "anything" with her yet until Mathis' case in Florida is over & then he will be extradited to Alabama. I'd have to go back & read the articles to see what county she is in. I'll get back to you! :)

Oh - I see I posted it already. She is in Houston County jail.

Ok, i looked there and didnt see her as an inmate. Sorry

Don't know what to tell ya - the article in Post #1 says she's there!
74x46px-LL-59c83b81_question-marks.gif

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand
Back