GUILTY AL - Curtis James Oakes, 6 mos, found in motel freezer, Dothan, 4 June 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've found a website with Alabama court hearings. Nothing on Oakes or Mathis thru 11/29/18.

Well - it looks like Oakes was in court on Monday, 11/26. Wonder "why" it didn't come up at the court site I have been searching....

Mom hides deceased infant’s tiny body in freezer, wants a bond reduction to get out of jail: Police

A Georgia mother requested a bond reduction during a court hearing earlier this week, as she and her boyfriend face charges for the death of their 6-month-old son—who was found dead last June in a hotel freezer.

Per The Dothan Eagle, Amanda Gail Oakes, 36, is facing manslaughter and abuse of a corpse charges in connection with the death of Carlton James Oakes. Alabama police reportedly discovered the infant’s body on June 4 at InTown Suites while executing a search warrant; they believe it was stowed in a freezer for five to six days.
[.....]
Amanda is currently being held on $400,000 bail: $250,000 on the manslaughter charge and $150,000 on the abuse of a corpse charge. Her attorney requested a bail reduction on Monday, noting that his client has yet to be indicted by a grand jury.

Mathis remains jailed on multiple charges in Levy County, Florida. Dothan police issued a hold for him following his possible release.

hmmm.... and I had "no bond" on her. Guess I haven't been paying attention here. :(

Wish these reporters would tell us IF she had a bond reduction or not!!

From the article GuyfromCanada posted:

Oakes arraignment hearing on 1/8/19.

Mom charged after baby found in motel freezer
Florida law enforcement officers found and arrested Mathis. He was shot during the arrest after he allegedly held the driver of a vehicle at gunpoint. Investigators discovered the boy in the freezer in Alabama soon after.

Authorities determined he had been in the freezer for five to six days.

Mathis remained in jail on several charges. Oakes' arrangement is scheduled for Jan. 8.

A woman accused of leaving her dead infant in the freezer of a Dothan motel room was denied a bond reduction in her multiple charges.

Carlton James Mathis, 28, of Gainesville, Georgia, was also charged in connection with the child’s death after being shot in a standoff with Florida police June 4.

Oakes’ arraignment is scheduled for Jan. 8, where she will enter a plea of guilty or not guilty.

Bond reduction denied for mother accused of dead infant in freezer

This is one of those cases that I have on my list to look up every day. Nothing thru the 23rd of December. It only goes up so far in the calendar.

and upload_2018-12-19_10-46-48.jpeg JerseyGirl for the updates!

animated-smileys-christmas-244.gif
to you & yours!
animated-smileys-christmas-166.gif

Tuesday, January 8th:
*Arraignment Hearing (@ ET) – AL – Curtis James Oakes (6 mos) (June 4, 2018, Dothan; found in motel freezer in there for 5-6 days) – only for *Amanda Gail Oakes (36) “mom” arrested & charged (6/4/18) with manslaughter & abuse of corpse. $400K bond ($250K on manslaughter & $150K on abuse charges).
Must wait for Florida case to be over. 11/26/18: Requests Bond reduction hearing on 11/26/18.
11/26/18 Update: Indicted on manslaughter & abuse of corpse charges. Arraignment hearing set for 1/8/19.

*Carlton James Mathis (28) (BF) charged (6/4/18) with abuse of corpse. $1M bond.
Murder charges are expected against Mathis once he is extradited back to Alabama from Florida.
7/5/18 Update: Florida charged Mathis with assault, drug possession, weapons possession by committed felon & child abuse. $1M bond. It will be up to Florida Judge whether he’ll be extradited to Alabama or face Florida charges first. Once police have Mathis, Oakes criminal proceedings will more forward.
10/29/18 Update: For Mathis in Florida: Case Management Conference hearing on 11/7. No update as of 12/8.

Woman pleads not guilty after dead baby found in freezer

DOTHAN, Ala. — A woman has pleaded not guilty to charges related to the death of her 6-month-old son, whose body was found last summer in an Alabama motel room freezer.

The Dothan Eagle reported Monday that 36-year-old Amanda Gail Oakes waived arraignment on charges of manslaughter and corpse abuse. Her trial is scheduled to start March 4.

This is one of the cases I look up every week.

and
@mistivon - could you look up Mathis is Florida (Levy Co). I have his last court date as 11/7/18. TIA! :)

The article has some good info in it. The "mother" actually had her teen daughter with her as this was going on. I'm not sure how to put up parts of the article per the 10% rule.

If you go in through the Dothan Eagle (not the link)and click on crime stories tab it should take you right to the article. That's how I accessed it.

The article has some good info in it. The "mother" actually had her teen daughter with her as this was going on. I'm not sure how to put up parts of the article per the 10% rule.

If you go in through the Dothan Eagle (not the link)and click on crime stories tab it should take you right to the article. That's how I accessed it.

I'm kind of LOLing here - I went to Dothan Eagle & click on Crime & Court news - no access.... :rolleyes:

on the 10% part - just what you find interesting you can copy/paste over here. And especially if there is a court date! :)

here are some snippets from that article @Niner:

Amanda Gail Oakes, 36, is charged with manslaughter, abuse of a corpse, and felony chemical endangerment of a child.

Due to infant’s death, the chemical endangerment charge is a Class A felony carrying a penalty of no less than 10 years and up to 99 years in prison...

According to Dothan Police reports, investigators were told by Oakes that the infant’s body was placed inside the freezer when the smell of decomposition became unbearable. Oakes also confirmed that she and Mathis were under the influence of illegal drugs.

Investigators determined Mathis and Oakes left Georgia with the infant last month after authorities attempted to arrest him on burglary and parole violation charges. The couple later checked into a Dothan motel, and Oakes left Dothan and briefly returned to Georgia, where she picked up her teenage daughter...

Police say Mathis and Oakes went shopping at Wal-Mart before heading to Florida, intentionally leaving the infant’s body in the freezer of the hotel...

Oakes’ jury trial is scheduled for March 4.

97x32px-LL-40ad66f8_thanx.gif
AzPistonsGirl! Much appreciated.

@mistivon - wonder about Mathis in Levy County, Florida? Last hearing I have for him is 11/7/18. Any updates? TIA! :)

Monday, March 4th:
*Trial set to begin (@ ET) – AL – Curtis James Oakes (6 mos) (June 4, 2018, Dothan; found in motel freezer in there for 5-6 days) – only for *Amanda Gail Oakes (36) “mom” arrested & charged (6/4/18) with manslaughter & abuse of corpse. Plead not guilty. $400K bond ($250K on manslaughter & $150K on abuse charges).
Trial set for 3/4/19.
*Carlton James Mathis
(28) (BF) charged (6/4/18) with abuse of corpse. $1M bond.
Murder charges are expected against Mathis once he is extradited back to Alabama from Florida.
7/5/18 Update: Florida charged Mathis with assault, drug possession, weapons possession by committed felon & child abuse. $1M bond. It will be up to Florida Judge whether he’ll be extradited to Alabama or face Florida charges first. Once police have Mathis, Oakes criminal proceedings will more forward.

10/29/18 Update: For Mathis in Florida: Case Management Conference hearing on 11/7. No further updates as of 3/3/19.

Well - just looked at the court site & Oakes is not listed as having court today.... ??

@AzPistonsGirl - have you seen any updates since that last article? TIA! :)

I'll keep posting this until I hear otherwise.... :)

Tuesday, March 5th:
*Trial continues (Day 2) (@ ET) – AL – Curtis James Oakes (6 mos) (June 4, 2018, Dothan; found in motel freezer in there for 5-6 days) – only for *Amanda Gail Oakes (36) “mom” arrested & charged (6/4/18) with manslaughter & abuse of corpse. Plead not guilty. $400K bond ($250K on manslaughter & $150K on abuse charges).
Trial set for 3/4/19.
This was per article – not on court site as of 3/4/ thru 3/8.

3/4/19 Update: No update.

*Carlton James Mathis
(28) (BF) charged (6/4/18) with abuse of corpse. $1M bond.
10/29/18 Update: For Mathis in Florida: Case Management Conference hearing on 11/7. No update as of 3/4/19.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lineman21
Back