GUILTY AL - Curtis James Oakes, 6 mos, found in motel freezer, Dothan, 4 June 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Trial for mother who left infant son in motel freezer set to begin next week

A trial for Amanda Oakes, who is accused of leaving her dead infant in the freezer of a Dothan motel room, is scheduled to begin next week in Houston County Judge Todd Derrick’s courtroom.
[.....]
Due to infant’s death, the chemical endangerment charge is a Class A felony carrying a penalty of no less than 10 years and up to 99 years in prison.

Mathis’ jury trial is tentatively scheduled for November. His trial was previously set for September, but the defense attorney requested to withdraw due to the attorney-client relationship was impaired to the point the he felt he could not effectively represent his client.

I have in my notes that Mathis' trial is suppose to start on 9/23. Wonder "how" I can info on it being changed to November. The court site I go to only shows a week for court dates, no actual court files that I can see.
If anyone wants to try - they are in Houston County. TIA if you find anything! :)
@Niner I signed up and paid for court records access. It keeps giving me an error when searching for him in Houston County so I tried a statewide search. It also gave me an error. I’ll try again later in case their system is down.

Monday, August 26th:
*Trial set to begin (@ 8:30am ET) – AL – Curtis James Oakes (6 mos) (June 4, 2018, Dothan; found in motel freezer; in there for 5-6 days) – only for *Amanda Gail Oakes (36) “mom” arrested & charged (6/4/18) & arraigned (1/8/19) with manslaughter & abuse of corpse. Plead not guilty. $400K bond ($250K on manslaughter & $150K on abuse charges).
Trial set to start on 8/26/19.
*Carlton James Mathis (28) (BF) – Trial starts on 9/23.
11/14/18: Florida case: He pled nolo contenderé to all charges (5 counts) on 11/14/18 & was sentenced for them. He was given a sentence of 2 years on some of the counts & 5 months on others. 5/20/19 in Alabama: murder charges dismissed, indicted & charged with manslaughter.

Tuesday, August 27th:
*Trial Continues (Day 2) (@ 8:30am ET) – AL – Curtis James Oakes (6 mos) (June 4, 2018, Dothan; found in motel freezer; in there for 5-6 days) – only for *Amanda Gail Oakes (36) “mom” arrested & charged (6/4/18) & arraigned (1/8/19) with manslaughter & abuse of corpse. Plead not guilty. $400K bond ($250K on manslaughter & $150K on abuse charges).
Trial set to start on 8/26/19.
8/26/19 Day 1: No info available. Trial continues to 8/27.

Just saw a note I did on my list from yesterday. I have NO idea "where" this came from - but my notes say:

Trial continued to 1/27/20 @ 9am, Final pretrial conference hearing on 10/14 @ 8:30am.

Anyone?? HELP! LOL! :D I'm losing my mind.... o_O

edited to add - never mind.... found my mistake. Couldn't read my own scribble! LOL!
Still don't know if THIS trial is still going on. The court site does not show her on either 8/26 or 8/27.

If anyone sees anything please post! :)

Last edited:
Ah Ha!! Some news!!

Jury selection begins for mother accused of leaving dead infant in motel room freezer

Jury selection began Monday in the trial of Amanda Oakes, who is accused of leaving her dead infant in the freezer of a Dothan motel room.
[.....]
Defense attorney T.J. Haywood said he expects jurors to be selected late Monday afternoon with opening arguments beginning Tuesday in Houston County Circuit Court Judge Todd Derrick’s courtroom.
[.....]
Due to infant’s death, the chemical endangerment charge is a Class A felony carrying a penalty of no less than 10 years and up to 99 years in prison.

So will re-do my notes & go with what the article says - jury selected Monday & opening statements on Tuesday.

Wonder if anyone is tweeting this trial.... probably not - but I'll go look! :)

Wednesday, August 28th:
*Trial Continues (Day 3) (@ 8:30am ET) – AL – Curtis James Oakes (6 mos) (June 4, 2018, Dothan; found in motel freezer; in there for 5-6 days) – only for *Amanda Gail Oakes (36) “mom” arrested & charged (6/4/18) & arraigned (1/8/19) with manslaughter & abuse of corpse. Plead not guilty. $400K bond ($250K on manslaughter & $150K on abuse charges).
Trial started on 8/26/19.
8/26/19 Day 1: Jury selection done. Opening statements to begin on Tuesday. Trial continues to 8/27.
8/27/19 Day 2: Opening Statements. No other info available. Trial continues 8/28.

11/14/18: Florida case: He pled nolo contenderé to all charges (5 counts) on 11/14/18 & was sentenced for them. He was given a sentence of 2 years on some of the counts & 5 months on others. 5/20/19 in Alabama: murder charges dismissed, indicted & charged with manslaughter.

Mother pleads guilty after leaving her deceased infant in motel freezer

Aug. 28, 2019

"The trial of a Murrayville mother accused of leaving her dead infant son’s body in an Alabama motel freezer ended Wednesday when she entered a guilty plea to all charges....

Oakes was sentenced to 99 years in prison receiving credit for time served in the Houston County Jail. According to District Attorney Pat Jones, Oakes sentencing will run concurrent with her receiving the maximum sentence of 99 years.

Oakes also agreed to testify against Carlton James Mathis, 28, of Gainesville, who also is charged in connection with the child’s death. Mathis’ trial is scheduled for November...."

Mother pleads guilty after leaving her deceased infant in motel freezer

Update!

Wednesday, August 28th:
*Trial Continues (Day 3)-Ended with guilty plea (@ 8:30am ET) – AL – Curtis James Oakes (6 mos) (June 4, 2018, Dothan; found in motel freezer; in there for 5-6 days) – only for *Amanda Gail Oakes (36) “mom” arrested & charged (6/4/18) & arraigned (1/8/19) with manslaughter, abuse of corpse & felony chemical endangerment of a child. Plead not guilty. $400K bond ($250K on manslaughter & $150K on abuse charges).
Trial started on 8/26/19.
8/26/19 Day 1: Jury selection done. Opening statements to begin on Tuesday. Trial continues to 8/27.
8/27/19 Day 2: Opening Statements. State witness: a juvenile whose name is not released due to her age. The juvenile testified she is friends with Oakes’ daughter. Oakes' daughter. No other info available. Trial continues 8/28.
8/28/19 Day 3: Trial ended Wednesday when Oakes entered a guilty plea to all charges. Oakes was sentenced to 99 years in prison receiving credit for time served in the Houston County Jail. According to District Attorney Pat Jones, Oakes sentencing will run concurrent with her receiving the maximum sentence of 99 years. Oakes also agreed to testify against Mathis.
*Carlton James Mathis (28) (BF) – Trial was to start on 9/23. Got new attorney, tentatively scheduled in November, 2019.

Last edited:
The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency is investigating a “death in custody” at the Houston County Jail, a source confirmed to WDHN just after midnight Saturday.

Other sources confirmed to WDHN that the deceased is 30-year-old Carlton James Mathis. This was reflected in his jail record as of Saturday morning.
Father of dead infant stuffed in freezer found dead in jail cell

Corrections officers discovered the body of Carlton James Mathis about 10 pm Friday. He had apparently hanged himself with a bed sheet, per sources.

His body has been taken to the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences to confirm the cause of death.
Man charged with killing son and freezing body dies from apparent suicide

Just saw this!! Guess he didn't want to spent the rest of his life in jail. But I believe he went to a "different" kind of hell....

Rest in Peace little Curtis!
Rest In Peace.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove