Adoptee Birth Mothers Name: Maxine Barter
Adoptee Birth Mothers Maiden Name: Thompson
Adoptee Birth Mothers Race: Caucasion
Adoptee Birth Fathers Name: Paul Barter
Adoptee Birth Fathers Race: Caucasion
Adoptee Birth Hospital: ?
Adoption Agency or Attorney: ?
Age of Adoptee when Adopted: 4 1/2 years or older
Name given to Adoptee by Adoptive Parents: ?
City adoption took place: ?
County adoption took place: ?
State adoption took place: ?
Country Adoption took place: ?
Adoptive Mothers Name: ?
Adoptive Mothers Maiden Name: ?
Adoptive Fathers Name: ?
Searching For: Adoptee
Email Address ... available at link below

All Other Information: Daniel "Danny" Barter was 4 1/2 years old on a camping trip with his family when he disappeared. We now believe that he was kidnapped and sold. So we are looking for any male child that would fit this profile. His family has been looking for him for over 50 years. Danny had dark eyes and dark hair, at the time of his disappearance. ...
For more information on Danny please see

http://littleboylost-dannybarter.1colony.com/

Thank you.
Date Received: 5-28-2008
Date Posted: 5-29-2008
Last Updated: 5-29-2008

LINK:

http://www.gsadoptionregistry.com/alabama.html

This case has always haunted me. I live in the area. I cannot help but think of Danny every time I am at Perdido Bay. I can't believe that after all this time, his family may finally have some answers.

This case has always haunted me. I live in the area. I cannot help but think of Danny every time I am at Perdido Bay. I can't believe that after all this time, his family may finally have some answers.

As you live in the area, can you fill us in on any public sentiment on Danny's case?

Well, I live in Mobile (where Danny's family lived). This was far before my time but my grandfather told me about this case when I was very young. He said that most people at the time thought that an abduction had taken place rather than drowning, etc. because he was afraid of the water. He made us stay right next to him at all times because the area just off the shore was so heavily wooded. I have never seen the case on the news here. I wish that my grandfather was still alive because he had met Danny's parents on a couple of occassions and said they were very nice people. I am hoping that the new developments will draw some local media interest to the case. Someone needs to talk. Perdido Beach is a quiet little resort area where families go for picnics, shop, etc. The area north of there on the bay is quite remote and almost isolated in places. Tight knit community where multiple generations of families stay. I have no doubt that someone knows something.

Well, I live in Mobile (where Danny's family lived). This was far before my time but my grandfather told me about this case when I was very young. He said that most people at the time thought that an abduction had taken place rather than drowning, etc. because he was afraid of the water. He made us stay right next to him at all times because the area just off the shore was so heavily wooded. I have never seen the case on the news here. I wish that my grandfather was still alive because he had met Danny's parents on a couple of occassions and said they were very nice people. I am hoping that the new developments will draw some local media interest to the case. Someone needs to talk. Perdido Beach is a quiet little resort area where families go for picnics, shop, etc. The area north of there on the bay is quite remote and almost isolated in places. Tight knit community where multiple generations of families stay. I have no doubt that someone knows something.

ITA, if we appy current profiles and technology from 50 years of reviewing these cases since Danny went missing, it tells ussomeody saw something, or the perp was very, very close. Hopefully the connection to the Seitz guy nets something.

ITA, if we appy current profiles and technology from 50 years of reviewing these cases since Danny went missing, it tells ussomeody saw something, or the perp was very, very close. Hopefully the connection to the Seitz guy nets something.

50 Year Old Cold Case Heats Up

The details surrounding the disappearance of four-year old Daniel Barter 50 years ago have been washed away by time. In the summer of 1959, Barter and his family were enjoying a camping and fishing trip near Perdido Bay when the little boy went for a walk in the woods...and vanished.

Five decades later, the cold case is heating up. Tuesday night, the hit CBS series "Without a Trace" featured the Barter case which could jump-start a new investigation.

http://www.wkrg.com/alabama/article/50_year_old_cold_case_heats_up/25375/

Danny is mentioned at the end of an article about the recent events in the Damman case.

"As Barnes' claims made headlines this week, FBI agents and local authorities explored possible leads in the disappearance of Daniel Barter, who vanished on a family camping trip along Perdido Bay in southern Alabama on June 18, 1959, when he was 4 1/2 years old.

Hundreds of volunteers conducted a manhunt and even gutted alligators to see if they had eaten the boy. Then-FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover sent the family a telegram pledging the agency's aid.

But the investigation stalled before new details emerged in recent years. A conversation about the case was overheard in a doctor's office, and investigators got a tip that someone elsewhere was familiar with an abduction in the area in the 1950s, FBI Special Agent Angela Tobon said.

After five decades, Mike Barter isn't sure what he thinks happened to his older brother. But he, his siblings and supporters held a candlelight vigil Saturday at the campsite in Lillian, Ala., to draw attention to the case's 50th anniversary.

"The more you bring any missing person up," he said, the more chance "some little something - some wording, something to flash back in someone's memory - brings back something that they can work with."

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/us?guid=20090621/4a3dbe50_3ca6_15526200906211464102653

FBI reopens 1959 case of missing 4-year-old

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Before Adam Walsh, Etan Patz and Madeleine McCann, before the first Amber Alert, before a young face stared back from the side of a milk carton, there was Danny.
Danny Barter was 4 when he vanished in 1959 while on a family camping trip.

Danny Barter vanished in 1959. He was on a family camping trip to Alabama's Perdido Bay. He was playing with his dad one minute, gone the next. "Just like that," recalled his brother Mike Barter.

Danny was 4 years old.

Last weekend, his loved ones returned to the campsite and to the scene of the presumed stranger abduction. They came to remember Danny and to rededicate a half-century mission to find him.

Even with the passage of time, their faith has not wavered.

"We've never doubted that he's ... out there," Mike Barter said. "Until they prove otherwise, we hope one day we will be reunited."

Their hope has been bolstered by investigators with the FBI and the Baldwin County Sheriff's Office, which reopened the case last year after hearing of a recent conversation.

"A lead was sparked when someone was sitting in a public area talking about what happened," FBI spokeswoman Joyce Riggs wrote in an e-mail to the media.

As cold case cops know, a wisp of a lead can turn into a big break, a fact FBI Special Agent Angela Tobon believes can solve the Daniel Barter mystery.

"Even if [people] think it's insignificant, it's probably not," Tobon said. "Each little piece of the puzzle may not mean something, but when you put it all together, you get the big picture."

Danny was the third youngest of Paul and Maxine Barter's seven children. He had brown hair and big brown eyes.

"He's such a very pretty and sweet child," his mom told the Mobile Register in an article published June 21, 1959. "I can understand why someone would want to take him, because he's such a pretty child."

Three days earlier, Danny, his parents and his siblings were enjoying a family outing near the Gulf shore. Danny and his dad had just returned from getting some drinks at a store. Tents were pitched. Fishing poles were prepared. And then someone noticed that Danny was gone.

"I had first believed that despite Danny's fear of water, he had wandered into the water and drowned," Maxine Barter told the Mobile Register. "But not now. I believe he probably walked up the road, and someone picked him up."

The search was extensive and immediate. Hundreds combed the land and the waters, looking for Danny. Bloodhounds were given his scent and dispatched to follow it. Alligators were killed and cut open.

But there was no trace of Danny, then or now.

More at link:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/22/alabama.barter.mystery/index.html

:unksam:
Hello Group!

My name is Angie Cantrell and I am from the B'ham area. I am a member of the Alabama Association of Private Investigator's as well as the Walker County Rescue Squad in Jasper, AL.

Our Association will be hosting 3 Alabama stops for the "On The Road To Remember Tour" in August. Our Rescue Squad will be planning and assisting with the stop in the B'ham area. Our featured case will be Nadia Kersh.

We are attempting to contact as many family members, friends and supporters as we can to let them know about these events. I will post the information on the Alabama stops below. You can also go to the tour's main web site to find details for the other states they will be visiting this year.

http://www.ncmissingpersons.org/category/national-road-tour/

B'ham (Pelham actually)

Date: August 19th
Time: 12PM until
200 Terrace Drive
Pelham, AL. 35124
Featured Case: Nadia Kersh
Events will include: Hot Dog Cookout, Balloon Release, Candlelight Vigil and Dove Release (If allowed at location)
Coordinator: Angie Cantrell - Chris Cantrell
abcantrell@gmail.com

Montgomery

Date: August 19th
Time: 3PM - 7PM
335 Coosa Street
Montgomery, AL 36104
Coordinators: Scott Hadley - soctt351150@yahoo.com
Robert Johnson - knighthawk194@hotmail.com

Mobile

Date: August 24th
Time: 9AM until
2703 Battleship Parkway
Mobile, AL. 36602
Coordinator: Michelle Alfonso - michelle@baldwininvestigativegroup.com

Thank You for your support! Please feel free to contact any of the coordinators if you have any questions!

June marked the 50th anniversary of the disappearance of Daniel Barter.

Story Highlights
FBI says it has a new lead in a 50-year-old cold case
Danny Barter, 4, is believed to have been taken by a stranger
Boy went missing during a family camping trip in Perdido Bay, Alabama
FBI says someone was overheard talking about the boy's abduction
NEW YORK (CNN) -- Before Adam Walsh, Etan Patz and Madeleine McCann, before the first Amber Alert, before a young face stared back from the side of a milk carton, there was
Danny.

Danny Barter was 4 when he vanished in 1959 while on a family camping trip.

Danny Barter vanished in 1959. He was on a family camping trip to Alabama's Perdido Bay. He was playing with his dad one minute, gone the next. "Just like that," recalled his brother Mike Barter. Danny was 4 years old.Last weekend, his loved ones returned to the campsite and to the scene of the presumed stranger abduction.

They came to remember Danny and to rededicate a half-century mission to find him.Even with the passage of time, their faith has not wavered. "We've never doubted that he's ... out there," Mike Barter said. "Until they prove otherwise, we hope one day we will be reunited."

Their hope has been bolstered by investigators with the FBI and the Baldwin County Sheriff's Office, which reopened the case last year after hearing of a recent conversation.

"A lead was sparked when someone was sitting in a public area talking about what happened," FBI spokeswoman Joyce Riggs wrote in an e-mail to the media.

As cold case cops know, a wisp of a lead can turn into a big break, a fact FBI Special Agent Angela Tobon believes can solve the Daniel Barter mystery.

"Even if [people] think it's insignificant, it's probably not," Tobon said. "Each little piece of the puzzle may not mean something, but when you put it all together, you get the big picture."

Danny was the third youngest of Paul and Maxine Barter's seven children. He had brown hair and big brown eyes. "He's such a very pretty and sweet child," his mom told the Mobile Register in an article published June 21, 1959. "I can understand why someone would want to take him, because he's such a pretty child."

Three days earlier, Danny, his parents and his siblings were enjoying a family outing near the Gulf shore. Danny and his dad had just returned from getting some drinks at a store. Tents were pitched. Fishing poles were prepared. And then someone noticed that Danny was gone.

"I had first believed that despite Danny's fear of water, he had wandered into the water and drowned," Maxine Barter told the Mobile Register. "But not now. I believe he probably walked up the road, and someone picked him up."

The search was extensive and immediate. Hundreds combed the land and the waters, looking for Danny. Bloodhounds were given his scent and dispatched to follow it. Alligators were killed and cut open.

But there was no trace of Danny, then or now.For his parents and the police, the sickening conclusion was quickly reached: He was stolen by a human predator. Danny's mom could not fathom that the kidnapper would bring harm to her boy. "I hope now that someone did take Danny, because I know if anyone wanted him bad enough to kidnap him, they would take good care of him," she said.

Fifty years later, the family longs for closure. Paul and Maxine Barter are both deceased, but their children carry on the decades-long pursuit to know the truth.On dannybarter.com, a Web site dedicated to finding answers, the family posted this plea to the public:"We strongly believe that someone out there knows what happened to Danny and possibly knows him as another identity. We hope to find him safe and sound."

The FBI is also seeking information on Danny Barter. It has published two photographs of him on its Web site. One shows the smiling child, taken in the months before Danny was abducted. The other picture is age-progressed, depicting what Danny would look like today at 54.

If you have any information on the Danny Barter case, go to dannybarter.com or contact the FBI, your local police or the Baldwin County Sheriff's Office in Alabama

Link to FBI reopens 1959 case of missing 4-year-old - CNN.com:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/22/alabama.barter.mystery/

Kidnapped

June 18, 1959
Baldwin County, Alabama

Daniel Barter

Photograph taken at age 4
Photograph age progressed in 2009

DESCRIPTION

Date of Birth: December 12, 1954 Place of Birth: Mobile, Alabama
Sex: Male Hair: Brown
Height: 3'0" (at the time of his disappearance) Eyes: Brown
Weight: 50 pounds (at the time of his disappearance) Race: White

THE DETAILS

Daniel Barter has been missing from Alabama since June 18, 1959. Daniel was last seen playing near the banks of Perdido Bay where he had gone camping with his parents, siblings and other relatives.

Daniel reportedly disappeared from the campsite while his parents were preparing some fishing equipment. Daniel did not like water, therefore it is believed that he would not have gone into the bay voluntarily. An extensive search for Daniel ensued immediately, but he has not been seen or heard from since that time.

Individuals with information concerning this case should take no action themselves, but instead immediately contact the nearest FBI Office or local law enforcement agency. For any possible sighting outside the United States, contact the nearest United States Embassy or Consulate.

The longest shot ever.

On Myspace, there is a Daniel Barter, 54 (correct age). NO info, last logged into in 2008.

Not that I believe it's him, but it is what it is.

I read somewhere -don't remember where- that the bloodhounds kept tracking Danny's scent to a wealthy and very prominent man's residence. I think he was a doctor. This was kept out of the media at the time and did not come out until later. The guy is now dead, however.

The first time I read this case, I was immediately gripped by it. I'm shocked as to how little coverage the media have given it in the years since little Danny disappeared.

If we assume for now that Danny didn't wander into the bay and drown or was eaten by an alligator, the only other likeable theory was that he was abducted. As it has already been stated that the area in Perdido Bay where the Barter family were staying at the time, was relatively isolated, it seems unlikely (in my opinion) that a human predator was already lurking there and just waiting for a chance to snatch a child. What seems more likely to me is that an abduction occured because the abductor knew the family would be there (possibly through following them) and knew that if one of the children wandered off on their own that would be their chance to snatch the child.

For this reason, the main things that I think should be looked further into now are the strange events leading up to Danny's disappearance. Were all the neighbours and people in close proximity to Daniel's home interviewed by police as to what they saw (if anything) the night that it was reported a man was seen peering into the Barter boys' bedroom window? Could anyone describe the man or what he was wearing at all? Was he on foot or did he leave the scene in a vehicle? If there is a description of this man at all, was this compared to the description of the man who pulled up next to Daniel and his brother at the store the day that Daniel went missing? Daniel's brother told his mother about the man at the store, so he must have been able to give some sort of description of this man, also maybe a description of the car the man was driving. If any descriptions of these two men could be compared, it could maybe make it clearer as to whether this could have been the same person or if the two incidents were unrelated.

As I said above, it shocks me that this case has not received more media attention over the years. It seems a lot of people who know about Danny's case are people who have just stumbled across it on the internet. Unfortunately in today's society, money rules everything and money is the one thing that can sometimes make people talk. Has there been any kind of reward offered for information in this case in the years following Danny's disappearance either by the family or by anyone else? Maybe it would be an idea if anyone related to this case (family members, charities, local/national media, good samaritans etc) clubbed together and made a significant reward fund for anyone who had information leading to a break in this case. After 52 years, people change and their priorities change and their loyalties change, someone who didn't want to come forward with something all those years ago, may now be open to having their mind changed with the offer of some money.

If anyone has any updates or new information on this case, I would really appreciate to hear it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pjd777
Back