Identified! AL - Decatur, Wheeler Wildlife Refuge, UnkFem 29-51(prob~40), in backwaters of Tennessee Rvr, Jul'20 - Wanda Ashford Floyd

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Has anymore information been found out about this person? Has anyone not suspected maybe there’s a serial killer? Far fetched but I know I’ve seen many bodies in articles being recovered in wheeler and the Tennessee River over the years. Without tons of media coverage
Welcome to Ws. xjvx!
Thanks for "bumping" the thread.. rbbm.
Decatur police ask for help identifying woman’s body found at Wheeler Wildlife Refuge | WHNT.com
''DECATUR, Ala. – Decatur police said Wednesday they are closer to identifying a body found three weeks ago in Wheeler Wildlife Refuge, but they need help.

Police said Wednesday afternoon that forensic analysis had narrowed down the range of the dead woman to between 29 and 51 years old, with a probable age around 40. She also was about 5 feet 9 inches tall and somewhere between 110 and 150 pounds.''

frustrating lack of info! I'm guessing that decomposition was severe, considering variable weight, no race, no hair/eye color etc? Was there any clothing description, or was the body naked? Was there...no tattoos or too much skin loss to see potential tattoos?
In above link, they say police are closer to an ID, but won't disclose any more information. I'm wondering if they have MP they're considering and have started familial DNA collection?

Last edited:
Decatur Police need help identifying woman found dead at Wheeler Wildlife Refuge

DPD-Death-Investigation.jpg

The Decatur Police Department needs the public’s help identifying a woman whose body was found at Wheeler Wildlife Refuge last year.

On July 31, 2020, DPD officers were called to Wheeler Wildlife Refuge after a fisherman located human remains in the water.
---
Detectives determined the woman was between 25 and 50 years old, 5’9” tall, and approximately 100 to 140 pounds. Her ethnicity is undetermined at this time.
---
The FBI helped create a digital forensic reconstruction image of what the woman may have looked like.

Decatur Police need help identifying woman found dead at Wheeler Wildlife Refuge | WHNT.com

New police appeal on their official police fb page (lots of comments) - https://www.facebook.com/DecaturALPD/posts/1936787813150065

HELP IDENTIFY: The Decatur Police Department continues to request the public’s assistance in identifying a woman whose body was found at Wheeler Wildlife Refuge last year.

On July 31, 2020, officers responded to Wheeler Wildlife Refuge after a fisherman located what they believed to be human remains in the water.

Upon review of the remains, detectives determined the woman was between 25 and 50 years old, 5’9” tall, and approximately 100 to 140 pounds. Her ethnicity is undetermined at this time.

With help from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, a digital forensic reconstruction image of what the woman would have possibly looked like was created.

Anyone who can identify the woman, or who has any other information regarding the case is asked to call Detective Sean Mukaddam at 256-341-4617 or email smukaddam@decatur-al.gov.

She does look like Kamala. I wonder if she's similarly mixed race?

The body, found in Flint Creek in Morgan County on July 31, 2020, is that of Wanda Ashford Floyd, Sheriff Max Sanders said in a statement.

According to authorities, Floyd has been missing since July 15, 2020, when she was released from Decatur General Hospital after an unknown medical issue. A week later, friends notified authorities of her disappearance.

The body, found in Flint Creek in Morgan County on July 31, 2020, is that of Wanda Ashford Floyd, Sheriff Max Sanders said in a statement.

According to authorities, Floyd has been missing since July 15, 2020, when she was released from Decatur General Hospital after an unknown medical issue. A week later, friends notified authorities of her disappearance.
Thank you for the update (and everything else!)
From link..
1671472854987.png
''The body, found in Flint Creek in Morgan County on July 31, 2020, is that of Wanda Ashford Floyd, Sheriff Max Sanders said in a statement.

''According to authorities, Floyd has been missing since July 15, 2020, when she was released from Decatur General Hospital after an unknown medical issue. A week later, friends notified authorities of her disappearance.''

A year ago, the Lawrence County Sheriff’s Office updated its Facebook page with information on Floyd’s disappearance.

An investigator with the Mobile County Cold Case Unit contacted Decatur Police to help with investigative genetic genealogy on the remains discovered in 2020. Due to some similarities between Floyd and the unidentified woman, investigators compared a DNA sample with that of a family member of Floyd’s''.

''Wanda Ashford Floyd​

• floyd_wanda.jpg
  • floyd_wanda2.jpg
Floyd, circa 2020

Comparison between the UID stats and the known information about Wanda (which I think is a good learning opportunity to recognize that there is wiggle room when suggesting IDs):

-PMI is, at most, July 15 to July 31 (16 days) in warm weather in water. This may not seem that long but I've seen a few example of warm water decomps and it's very disfiguring to the body. The scalp was likely completely sloughed, which impedes racial ID as hair is no longer present.
-Wanda was 6'2", UID est. at 5'9"
-Wanda was listed at 154lbs, UID est. at 100-140lbs
-Wanda was 60 y/o, UID est. at 29-51
-Wanda was black, UID's race was unknown
-Wanda's personal items were found at Rosa Park St. in Courtland, her body washed up at the Wildlife refuge. This is approximately 27 miles away (ofc she could have dropped her items then entered the water elsewhere)
-the facial reconstruction, despite race being unknown, was pretty spot-on ignoring the hair IMO
1671475996274.png1671476024486.png

Comparison between the UID stats and the known information about Wanda (which I think is a good learning opportunity to recognize that there is wiggle room when suggesting IDs):

-PMI is, at most, July 15 to July 31 (16 days) in warm weather in water. This may not seem that long but I've seen a few example of warm water decomps and it's very disfiguring to the body. The scalp was likely completely sloughed, which impedes racial ID as hair is no longer present.
-Wanda was 6'2", UID est. at 5'9"
-Wanda was listed at 154lbs, UID est. at 100-140lbs
-Wanda was 60 y/o, UID est. at 29-51
-Wanda was black, UID's race was unknown
-Wanda's personal items were found at Rosa Park St. in Courtland, her body washed up at the Wildlife refuge. This is approximately 27 miles away (ofc she could have dropped her items then entered the water elsewhere)
-the facial reconstruction, despite race being unknown, was pretty spot-on ignoring the hair IMO
View attachment 388703View attachment 388704

Comparison w/ second picture
1671477017954.png1671477042967.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member