AL AL - Heaven Ross, 11, Northport, 19 Aug 2003

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Originally posted by johnny
As far as the race card etc. that never was my intention and not my torch to carry , moot point.
I was commenting on the article, not you posting it, BTW. I appreciate that you find these articles, and post them for us. I do find it sad that these articles exist.

It seems so odd that a mother would place her boyfriend/whatever before finding her daughter. Again, it is a shame that the mother should try to cloud the issue with racism, as that detracts from what is really important. Although I can understand the fear that someone might try to blame you for something you have not done.

At least everyone is still looking for Shae, and that's what counts.

Am praying for this little girls safe return-

That mother breaks my heart- as they all do- I CAN NOT imagine what that family is going through.

JOHNNY:

Thank you for that article and the Amber Alert information contained therein regarding Alabama.....Also interesting Tuscaloosa County was the first county in the state...

I'm sorry but I disagree with Babcat on this one. I believe that an 11yr old CHILD that went missing from her door to the school bus all in a matter of minutes SHOULD HAVE WARRANTED AN AMBER ALERT? This is a child with her sis waiting for her and never makes it...her family should be the judge if she is a run away and/or has a custodial issue.

SINCE WHEN DO WE SEE ABDUCTERS TAKE OUR CHILDREN. leanna Warner deserved an Amber Alert - no mistake. I dont' believe these alerts would be ignored...but they sure as HELL will be ignored if they are never issued? I have one comment for those that believe otherwise...WHY TAKE THE RISK WHEN IT COMES TO A CHILD?! For petes sake...we care more about a missing animal than a child.

Seems there are some definite problems with the "Amber Alert" possibly they should look at levels of Amber alert such as our homeland security uses. Obviously the Police were notified soon enough and they had a description of the girl and reason to believe she was in danger. As always though hindsight is 20/20!

Why is it that after a few weeks certain people start wondering if they should have done some of the things others suggested from the beginnning!

It would appear that too many times the Amber Alert is not used because there is no car to identify. It's heard to just send out an alert for "11 year old girl, InsertNameHere, blond shoulder length hair, might be wearing a t-shirt and jeans." That covers too many people. To hear that on the radio, or see it on a freeway sign would be near useless.

There should be some alert required for the general area for anyone missing, though. At least people should know someone is missing.

The most important aspect of an Amber is to follow up with A PICTURE. I have seen news reports and articles in papers that have no picture. I agree just stating age/height/color of eyes is not enough..so it is our job to list identifiable attributes that may stand out...

1) PICTURE, PICTURE, PICTURE...on tvs, newscasts, media outlets
2) Detail of where last scene and SPECIFICS. I hate those vague reports..missing child since 8:00a this morning? Puleeze. Detail where the parents were, what the circumstances were, interview the parents...color of pjs, details, details. **otherwise people tend to brush off as out of detail/out of mind.

Personally I was very frustrated in the Leanna Warner case w/no details. Just the parents last saw there 5yr. old Saturday at 5??????? People tend to think it could just be a case of being lost "innocently" or a custodial situation with those details. WHAT PARENT LEAVES THEIR 5YR. OLD OUT THE DOOR and just says "bye bye" talk to you in an hour..like she is an adult? Anyway...don't get me started on that one..

3) Immediately get the info out...don't wait. These are children for God's sake.

One more point , I don't believe that an Amber Alert will numb responses if used on every case..it is the LACK OF DETAILS that numb people's receiving the info.

When I hear vague circumstances, I immediately think here is another slime case of abusive parents or neglect. Obviously a concerned, legitimate crime the parents would provide more detials. Van Dam's are a good example for doing this.

All children are important..that is not what I am saying but to just say " they woke up to her gone"..."last scene at 4:00p w/no shoes" is not enough.

Put it out there the circumstances, what the parents have said, how they feel, if THEY think foul play involved..then PEOPLE AUTOMATICALLY BECOME INVOLVED AS IF IT IS THEIR CHILD AND HENSE....MORE ALERT AND MORE CONCERNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The surge of media attention
surrounding the apparent increase
in child kidnappings has many
thinking that we are facing a
boom in child abductions.
According to the National
Center for Missing and Exploited
Children, child abductions in the
United States have actually
declined. The FBI’s National
Crime Information Center reports
that there was a 4.1 percent
decrease in kidnappings from
2000 to 2001.
In 2001, 840,279 people
were reported missing. The FBI
estimates that of those missing, 85
to 90 percent were juveniles.
Approximately 98 percent of
child abductions are committed
by the abducted child’s parent,
according to the Department of
Justice. A small percentage of
kidnappings are randomly
perpetrated by a stranger.
Overall, 94 percent of
abducted children are re-turned
safely.
Jacqueline Taylor, acting
director of career services and
mother of two daughters, says she
has been slightly unnerved by the
media reports of recent child
kidnappings but has always made
it a point to talk with her children.
“I’ve continually taught my
kids to be aware and close to us at
all times,” Taylor said. “No matter
who pulls up in the driveway, [my
children] are to come in the house
immediately and let us know.”
Stacie Herr, wife of Dan Herr,
resident director of McAffee
Residence Complex, lives on
campus with her husband and three
boys.
“It’s not that it scares me that
we have all the students on
campus, it’s that we live so close
to the bypass,” Herr said. “A lot of
different people travel through
there.”
“We have boundaries,” said
Herr about how she talks with her
children about safety.
Ernie Allen, National Center
for Missing and Exploited
Children President and CEO,
advises parents to know who their
children are with and where they
are. He also suggests that parents
talk with their children about safety
and put their a safety plan into
practice.

Many communities have
adopted a plan to aid in the search
and rescue of missing children
when prevention fails.

The AMBER Plan is named
for 9-year-old Amber Hagerman of
Arlington, Texas, who was
abducted and murdered while
riding her bicycle in 1996. AMBER
is an acronym for America’s
Missing: Broadcast Emergency
Response.

READ THIS AGAIN!

“The AMBER Plan is one
more life saving tool to help
recover abducted children when
time is the enemy,” Allen said in a
released statement.

The AMBER Plan uses local
media to help make an abducted
child’s community aware of the
kidnapping by putting out
information on the child’s
disappearance.

In order for the AMBER Plan
to go into effect, the child must be
younger than 18. Law enforcement
must confirm that the child is
missing and that he or she may be
in danger.

Sixteen states are currently
using the AMBER Plan. New York
Gov. George Pataki instated the
plan on Sept. 2, making New York
the most recent state to join the
ranks.

Parts of Tennessee have or are
in processes of adopting the
AMBER Plan. The plan is already
in existence in Memphis and will
soon be put into place in East
Tennessee.

By Kari Jones
World News Editor
Adopting AMBER: Search and
rescue of missing children

Although the Amber Plan is named after Amber Hagerman, this national program is dedicated to all children nationwide who’ve been abducted.

How often does it happen? According to the U.S. Department of Justice, up to 4600 children are abducted by strangers every year (about 12 children nationwide every day).

Whyis this 4600 figure so different than the FBI's they say its around 300???? I keep finding a lot of variances in statistics? Possibly the reason for the difference is because the level of panic etc. Just recently a boy was found in Athens Tennessee who was reported as a runaway (15 years old) and he was found locked in a trunk with his hands and feet tied with his mouth gagged and partially clothed, I believe he was from North Carolina.

So help me with this he ran away and was trying out his magician act which he was going to use to support himself?

Because children are 14 and older they almost always get the runaway label. Rougher times folks...using old out dated laws and technology aren't going to solve these problems.....

This is great news, if this could be implemented sooner in other missing children cases this could really get the awareness out, we will find out if our post office will do the same here for Tabitha Tuders......... Great information!

Letter to the Editor from Tuscaloosa news.

Let’s see if I got that right: in the three incidents mentioned in Tuesday’s news article where the Amber Alert was sounded, everyone was recovered safely. In the case of little Heaven Ross, and also the Tennessee girl whose situation is so similar to Heaven’s, the Amber Alert was not sounded, and guess what? They are still missing. What does that tell you? The criteria should be changed so that any time a child goes missing, police should issue an Amber Alert. If she’s not at home with her family, she’s in danger. Even if she did run away, which has been so strongly hinted, she is in danger.

ó Tuscaloosa County

Search For Shae Ross Scales Down
Parents Plead For Public To Continue Search For Missing Northport Girl

POSTED: 4:00 PM CDT September 8, 2003
UPDATED: 4:30 PM CDT September 8, 2003
NORTHPORT, Ala. -- The search for missing 11-year-old Heaven LaShae Ross is scaling down.

http://www.nbc13.com/news/2464321/detail.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back