AL AL - Heaven Ross, 11, Northport, 19 Aug 2003

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Has there been any more information available about the whereabouts of this little girl? I live in Mobile and have been thinking about her and wondered if she was ever found.
It is so sad.

Hi Leisa,
I'm a little north from you and there hasn't been much coverage here either. Unfortunately, we won't hear anymore until there's something to hear (I know that sounds stupid, but you know what I mean). Bowhunting season is upon us and then full blown hunting season and I suspect that is when she will be found.

New twists, no new leads in Ross disappearance
By Cassandra Mickens
Senior Staff Reporter
October 10, 2003

Despite a terminated relationship with volunteers, a house fire and widespread rumors, the family of 11-year-old Heaven LaShae Ross continues to search for their red-haired, brown-eyed girl.

Beth Lowery, Shae's mother, said that since her family has parted ways with Heaven's Team, a missing children's foundation created for Shae, a "closer" relationship has formed between the family and police officials.

Lowery said communication with the police was strained while Heaven's Team was an active organization.

"There is not a middle person anymore since the center's closing," Lowery said. "If I knew this was going to happen, the center would have been closed a long time ago."

Heaven's Team closed its doors last month because of a money dispute between the organization's founder and the missing girl's family.

Pam Channell, founder of Heaven's Team, was accused by Lowery of stealing $500 that Christ Episcopal Church donated to her in August.

Channell denies the allegation.

Channell was Lowery's shoulder to lean on since Shae vanished while walking to her bus stop on Hunter Creek Road in Northport on Aug. 19. Heaven's Team was created solely to provide families with hope that their missing children will be found. Channell went through a similar ordeal when her daughter was reported missing. After five days, she was safely returned home.

Lowery said the development was just one of many "boulders" thrown her way since her daughter was reported missing. On Sept. 25, a blaze ignited in the family's home, causing severe fire damage to Shae's bedroom. The fire's cause has not been confirmed.

The dispute disheartened Lowery greatly. She said she believes some volunteers were trying to gain something from her daughter's disappearance.

"I did not realize that when people have tragedies, that everybody wants to earn something off your tragedy," she said. "Everybody's trying to get something off Shae's name. Everybody's trying to get something out of Shae, and Shae ain't even here."

Lowery filed a police report over the church donation and said Northport police investigators are looking through filed documents associated with the case.

In recent weeks, rumors have circulated about Shae's family, accusing Shae's parents of knowing more about their daughter's disappearance than they are letting on.

Lowery said those rumors are completely false.

"If any of these rumors are true, how come the FBI and the police have not done anything about us by now?" she asked. "These rumors need to be stopped. It's not true."

Leads are slowly trickling into the Northport Police Department about Shae's disappearance. Lead investigator Terry Carroll said there are no updates.

Meanwhile, Shae's family and close friends are not giving up on finding their loved one. Every night this week, they will make a trip to the West Alabama State Fair and place fliers on every single vehicle at the fairgrounds.

Lowery said she and her entourage were kept from entering the fairgrounds to pass out fliers because a few of the fair officials were also volunteers at Heaven's Team, but she said that will not put a damper on the search for Shae.

Efforts to reach Channell to address the charge were unsuccessful.

Meanwhile, the Northport community is trying to remain optimistic about the prospects for Shae's safe return home.

Sandra Williams, manager of Beautiful Beginnings in Northport, has posted a flier of Shae on the front window of her business. She has read the newspaper stories and thinks the whole situation is "very odd." Her instinct tells her Shae is not alive and well.

"My gut tells me no, but it's possible," she said. "There's always hope."

Taqui Mohammed, a cashier at the Parade gas station in Northport, said Shae and her family were frequent customers at the station. He said it is unfortunate the volunteers have ceased their search efforts and said he thinks Shae will be found. Mohammed can only think of one word for Shae's return home.

"Hopefully," he said.

Anyone with information on Shae's disappearance is asked to call Northport police at 349-0420

I sure hope they find this little girl. I personally have heard some very disturbing rumors about this family and I hope they are not true.
I would hope to god all the many awful rumors I have heard are not true. It makes me sick to my stomach to think the parents have something to do with the disappearance of the child, Shae.
The things I have been told come from a Winn Dixie employee who works at the Northport store right there at Willowbrook Trailer Park.

I will be so glad when all of this ends. As a mother of a young girl, I cannot imagine doing anything to jeopardize her life as I love her more than life itself.

What type of rumors have you heard?
I think this case is strange myself.

Two months later, Ross remains missing

By Stephanie Taylor
Staff Writer
October 19, 2003

Email this story.

A family friend wears a picture and ribbon of Heaven LaShae Ross Aug. 21, after the 11-year-old Northport girl turned up missing on her way to the bus stop. Today marks the two-month anniversary of her disappearance.
Staff file photo | Robert Sutton

• Discuss this story

NORTHPORT | After Heaven LaShae Ross disappeared on a hot August day exactly two months ago today, volunteers and family members went on daily searches through the green, overgrown wooded areas near her home in temperatures that pushed 100 degrees.

The 11-year-old’s parents, Beth Lowery and Kevin Thompson, would sit in the yard of their home at Willowbrook Trailer Park, spending the long days dodging mosquitoes under donated shade tents cooled by industrial-sized fans. Volunteers, friends and family members from out of town stayed by their sides.

Two months later, the tents are down and the crowds are gone. Both Lowery and Thompson have returned to work, and their family members and friends check on them through phone calls and occasional visits.

Northport police and fire investigators are still waiting for a report from the state deputy fire marshal on a late September fire in Shae’s bedroom that destroyed many of her belongings.

And a rift between the volunteers and the family has left Lowery and Thompson on their own -- working daily to distribute fliers and keep their daughter’s face in the public eye.

Now that the leaves have begun to fall and the woods are thinning out, Lowery hopes details about her daughter’s disappearance will surface. She spent Friday afternoon delivering fliers to game wardens in the area.

“We’re just hoping that somebody will find her backpack or something that belongs to her, not a body," Lowery said.

Northport Police continue to investigate the disappearance. People from Alabama and other states regularly call the department with leads, but none so far have put them closer to finding Shae.

Investigator Terry Carroll is spending 100 percent of his time on duty working the case.

“We still pursue every bit of information that comes in," Northport Police Sgt. Kerry Card said. “We had many tips come in from the Gulf coast area, in addition to leads and tips nationwide," he said.

“As of yet, there has been nothing conclusive from the information we have received. A lot of this is helpful, because if nothing else, it narrows the focus of the investigation. Even if it’s not proven or productive, we can take that particular bit of information off the list and focus elsewhere."

Lowery remains confident that the police will locate her daughter.

“They have told me that they do have people that they’re looking at and they’re not stopping," she said. “I’m not either. I still make fliers, put them up and talk to people every day. I think it’s important that she still be up there and that she’s still being thought about every day."

Lowery talks with officers two or three times each day. She said that she sometimes struggles to remain optimistic, especially when she reads so many stories about missing children that have unhappy endings.

“I read things and imagine the worst-case scenarios. I still feel that she’s alive, but then I sometimes feel like she’s going to be a statistic," she said. “We have to think about both sides of the situation."

Lowery said that many of the leads called in to police are of possible sightings that occurred days before the person called.

“If you have a lead, don’t wait so long, call them," she said.

The reward fund for information about Shae’s disappearance has grown to at least $70,000. Lowery wasn’t sure Friday, but she believes someone else had donated $10,000 last week.

“We are still urging the public to come forward with any information that they might have," Card said.

JOHNNY:

Do you think she has gone off to have a baby? Or was murdered because she was pregnant by the "step-father" ?.....(and I use that term loosely).

One thought is that the mother is so wrapped up in "Her man" that she could be blind to his possible involvement. Almost certainly someone very close to Shae is involved, regardless of what the outcome turns out to be.

Maybe someone here could give some input on other cases where children are seemingly put secondary to the spouse.

That summary sounds pretty accurate to me too.....maybe the child just got sick of it all and left? To me, even more gauling is the fact that the guy has never even bothered to marry the mother.

Originally posted by johnny
Maybe someone here could give some input on other cases where children are seemingly put secondary to the spouse.

The only reason I post this is because sometimes it is hard for people to see a situation unless they have personally witnessed it, so I am just posting my experience to testify that this does happen. I do not definitely believe this is what happened in this case, but my inclinations are leading me in this general direction.

When my mother married my stepfather, she was so into making sure nothing ever came between them that she totally abandoned any bit of trust or companionships between us (my mother and me). She had been a single mom with me and she and I were best buddies. As soon as he came along, she didn't necessarily drop me, but, I guess you could say she forsaked me.

My stepfather was an alcoholic, drug abuser, and drug dealer. My mom worked 3 jobs including one pretty much overnight. Strange people trapsed through our house all the time at odd hours going up to their bedroom which was their drug office. I heard my dad personally asking someone if anyone had a cocaine, etc. I saw the cocaine one time while doing some sleuthing in their bedroom. They smoked and dealt pot right in front of us. He was also really volatile. Sometimes he would come down to my room and scream hideous things at me that no young girl should hear period let along from her father. I would tell my mother about it and she would tell me one of several things: a) that I am lying and he didn't do that, b) that I took what he said the wrong way, c) he didn't have control over what he was doing and it wasn't his fault, or d) what did I do to provoke it and I need to stay our of his way.

Thank goodness my stepfather was not a molester or physical abuser, because I have no doubt in my mind that if he was and he did abuse me, and I told her about it, she would have told me to shut up and how dare I make accusations like that. I guarantee it. I have no hard feelings towards my mom. That is just who she is. She wasn't a bad mom. She was just uneducated and felt trapped in her situation with so many kids, etc.

She recently remarried after the death of my stepfather. And now she molds herself to this man's personality too. It is all over again, me dealing with a new person called my mom.

Not only have I witnessed this type of codependence with my mother, but with countless numbers of friends in my neighborhood and their parents. Now that I am an educated adult with my own family living 1500 miles away, I meet regular families without dysfunction. I attribute this codependency on lack of education and low socioeconomic status. Sometimes that man is all the mother has to keep her feeling like a woman. It is sad, but true.

Domestic dispute lands pair in jail
Missing girl’s mother, stepfather have been released on bond

By Stephanie Taylor
Staff Writer
November 05, 2003

Email this story.

• Discuss this story

TUSCALOOSA | The mother and stepfather of missing Northport girl Heaven LaShae Ross spent Monday night in the county jail after a domestic dispute in Fosters.

Beth Lowery said that the argument between her and her common-law husband, Kevin Thompson, who was charged with drunken driving, was not related to her 11-year-old daughter, who was last seen Aug. 19 while walking to a bus stop near her home.

“It was a personal conflict between me and Kevin. It was nothing," she said.

Sheriff Ted Sexton said that Lowery called 911 and paged a Sheriff’s Office supervisor who met her on Dry Creek Road in Fosters. She was on foot.

Thompson drove by while the deputies were talking to Lowery. A deputy followed and pulled him over.

“It was just a fight between us. It was nothing at all," Lowery said. “It has nothing to do with Shae at all."

Thompson and Lowery were arrested because Alabama’s domestic violence law requires that all parties in a dispute be arrested. Both were charged with second-degree domestic violence/harassment. Thompson was charged with driving under the influence.

They were booked into the Tuscaloosa County Jail at 9:45 p.m. Monday. Lowery, 34, was released on a $300 signature bond. Thompson was released on two $300 signature bonds -- one for each charge.

Shae has been missing for nearly/stwo months. Northport Police Department Investigator Terry Carroll said that there have been no leads in the case recently.

A neighbor was the last person to report seeing Shae. The neighbor saw her walking from her home at Willowbrook Trailer to her bus stop on Hunter Creek Road in Northport.

Thanks for the update Johnny. I bet he had put her out of the car and had driven off.....maybe there was so much family violence, this child just left? Or maybe she was a victim of it. Very troubled family.

maybe the police should check the area immediately around where they had there trouble?

I'll bet they are sniffing around pretty good.....they are nobody's fools up there.......

I'm afraid there hasn't been much statewide info lately. That's what's so sad about these cases. If there aren't any leads or anything to keep it in the news besides it being a missing child, we tend to move on. I guess, however, the news would be completely covered if they just repeated the same missing people over and over. Maybe there should be a cable channel that just shows posters. I know I've seen this done for a hour or so in the past but a whole channel dedicated to missing loved ones and maybe a ticker across the bottom telling about found people. Just a thought, and a rambling one at that.

Good thought Stormonster... I would like to see that also.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024
Back