AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading through this thread, I keep going back to the original suspect. This guy apparently was held in custody for over 3 months! Was the DNA the only thing that cleared him?
I got the impression that he had given LE specific details of the 2 girls. We would need to know what details he knew exactly. Also there is a descrepancy in his time gone to get milk. Earlier I read he was away from home from 11pm-1am to get milk. Then I read in the CoE that his wife said he was gone for 15 minutes. We need to know the correct answers to those questions. But this original suspect may still be a part of this whole thing in one way or another.

I found that in 1999 :
"Also, in 1999, while Lavergne was serving in the Army at Fort Polk he sexually assaulted a woman in Evangeline Parish. He was driving a '93 Ford pickup with La. license plate of S074500. (Note: Police collected DNA (sperm from a washcloth) at the scene. This evidence may have been what helped them connect Lavergne to Pate.)

in April, Lavergne married Lainey Vasseur in September 1999. Lainey left him after several assault incidences. They divorced after he went to jail in October 2000 for the assault on Parish.
"
http://www.missingpersonsofamerica.com/2012/07/will-more-victims-be-found-connected-to.html

The 1999 arrest report is there (horrible reading) and no color is given for his '93 ford pickup (page 4) : http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/804...randon-Scott-Lavergne-1999-Arrest-Updated.pdf

regards

What jumped out to me was one of the girls was in dance and the other a cheerleader i belive,,could there be someone in ozark who was in dance or cheer and was beat in a compitition by one of the girls,,was spotted in town by the girls boyfriend,,brother or father and sought revenge that got out of hand

This is a really good point, I am not sure about a revenge killing but it is possible. As we know, one girl, I think it was Tracie (?) worked at JC Pennys. If we are looking at someone following them and picking them out as a target, there is a likelihood this person (people) followed them from the mall. Did Tracey mention anyone who always came in? Perhaps, getting lost was just as simple as getting lost. There still is a chance that they were meeting someone and the original party was a means to be out that night.

I think the local they detained and cleared by DNA may just be tunnel-vision of the part of LE. Especially considering this person had mild mental retardation. We all know many cases in the past where people are "fed" details by LE and confess. This is really common with those with MR. Also, common would be the person saying there was a guy with tattoos. mainly, because in someone with a low IQ they will find visual stereotypes for "bad guys" in response to being fatigued, pressured, and over their head when questioned. In 1999 tattoos were not socially acceptable like now. I think maybe time was wasted on this guy when they should have looked elsewhere. Also, given the MR, I doubt his crime scene would have been so "clean".

One other question: About the Merritts. What I do not understand if the store was closed was how they were buying soft drinks. I also do not understand their statements about waiting until the girls were "safe". Was there a threat? I know personally if I felt 2 teens were endanger late at night, I would have made sure they made it home or at least made sure they made it to the freeway/highway. That whole situation seems strange to me. As someone mentioned, perhaps they were the target. What else do we know about them?

LR1, thank you so much for sharing this very valuable link.

I'll post all my notes on this Chronology of Events, but first I want to focus on what I think is the most important information contained in the CoE:

The Big/Little Store:
Photo, Details, Timeline & Questions

truck.jpg

Details
  • [The girls were] last seen at the [Big/Little] convenience store on East Broad Street by the railroad tracks near Carroll High School. They were last seen at this location by two eyewitnesses [Merritt and daughter] who gave the girls directions to U.S. 231 and who overheard the other girl [Tracie] on the phone say, "Hey Mom." It was about 11:30 p.m. when the two witnesses left the location when they felt the girls had made contact with their family and it was safe to leave them. (CoE 8/4/99)

• Ozark police released a key piece of evidence in the month old investigation of the murder of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett. The piece of evidence is a partial picture of a white, gray, tan, or beige pickup truck that was parked in front of the Big/Little Store where the girls stopped to use the pay phone. The truck was parked at the store between 11:30 p.m. and 12:00 midnight on the night of July 31, 1999. Police feel that the owner or driver of the truck may be a witness that hasn't come forward and they are asking the public for help in identifying the owner of the truck. The picture is only a partial picture of the vehicle, so the make and model of the vehicle aren't clear. Police have been parking a variety of pickup trucks at the store and taking pictures of them to see if it would clear up the identity of the make and model. So far they haven't found a match. Yesterday afternoon at around 5:00 p.m., the parking lot of the store was filled with investigators and police vehicles working at the scene. (CoE 8/31/99)

• Police are still looking for another possible witness who may have seen something at the Big/Little Store on the night of the murders. The security tape taken on the night of murders shows a light colored truck leaving the store just before the Mazda, which the two girls were in, left the store. (CoE 12/12/99)

• Two women, Marilyn Merritt and her daughter, gave directions to J.B. and Tracie at the Big/Little Store. They added that after they gave the girls the directions, [Merritt and daughter] left the store heading west toward downtown Ozark and the direction to 231, and the girls left right behind them. [Merritt and daughter] didn't notice what happened to the girls after they left the store. The white truck that was parked at the gas pumps at the Big/Little Store left the parking lot before the girls did. They would like to talk to the driver to find out if they noticed anything unusual. (CoE 8/27/00)

• Police Chief Tony Spivey said that the white truck in the video at the Big/Little Store is believed to be a 80's model Nissan or Toyota with oversized tires or four wheel drive. (CoE 9/17/00)

Timeline (According to CoE)
  • The white truck is parked at the store between 11:30 p.m. and 12:00 midnight on the night of July 31, 1999.

• Merritt and daughter give J.B. directions to U.S. 231 while Tracie calls her mother.

• Upon giving directions to J.B. and hearing Tracie say, ""Hey Mom," Merritt and daughter feel it is safe to leave the girls, as Tracie has made contact with family.

• Merritt and daughter leave the store, heading west toward 231.

• J.B. and Tracie leave right behind Merritt and daughter.

• The security tape shows the white truck leaving the store just before the Mazda — J.B. and Tracie — left the store.

• Merritt and daughter don't notice what happens to J.B. and Tracie after they leave the store.

Questions

1. Was the white truck already parked at the Big/Little Store when J.B. & Tracie and Marilyn Merritt & daughter arrived? Who was there first? Were J.B. and Tracie followed there by the white truck? Aren't these questions that could've been answered to some degree by Merritt and daughter?

2. What was the white truck doing at the Big/Little Store? The store was closed, no gas purchase was made, and no one was seen exiting the truck at any time. If the white truck has nothing to do with the murders, isn't it some coincidence that it sat there idling during the time J.B. & Tracie and Merritt & daughter were there talking, and then left at the same time as the other two vehicles?

3. Merritt and daughter left the store first, heading west. J.B. and Tracie were also heading west, so they would've been following right behind Merritt and daughter. When the white truck left (after Merritt and daughter but before J.B. and Tracie), which direction did it go? If the white truck was also traveling west, then we have:
  • VEHICLE #1: Merritt and Daughter, followed closely by
  • VEHICLE #2: The White Truck, followed closely by
  • VEHICLE #3: J.B. and Tracie
In your mind, if the white truck left the Big/Little Store and headed east, does this reduce the chances that the white truck had anything to do with the murders?

4. Clearly the white truck was at the Big/Little Store at the same time as Merritt & daughter and J.B. & Tracie. Surely Merritt and daughter must've mentioned this to LE. So why, then, has it never been reported that witnesses observed a white pickup truck parked at the gas pumps during this key time? MSM articles only reference the white pickup truck being spotted by the surveillance camera. LE has to rely on this partial view of the truck from inside the Big/Little Store instead of eyewitness testimony from outside the store. Why?

5. What made Merritt and daughter feel it was okay to leave J.B. and Tracie when the white truck was parked at the gas pumps? The suspicious white truck was a potential immediate threat to the girls and had every advantage compared to Tracie's mother on the other end of the phone as potential protector.

6. Were Marilyn Merritt and her daughter the original intended victims?

7. What does the surveillance photo tell us?

8. If the occupant(s) of the white truck is NOT responsible for the murders, why haven't they come forward? An obvious reason would be fear of being charged with a crime they did not commit, but knowing they would be cleared through DNA testing and print comparison, why not come forward? This would help LE rule out the white truck as a vehicle of interest and direct their energy toward the real killer(s).

9. Is it possible the occupant(s) of the white truck overheard Merritt giving J.B. directions, left the store going in a different direction than the other two vehicles, and caught up with/cut off J.B. and Tracie, perhaps as they were heading south on 123?

10. At what point did Merritt and daughter turn off/leave the route taken by J.B. and Tracie?

#5 This I do not understand. If Merritt perceived any threat to the girls, why did she leave them alone? Why did she not make certain they arrived at their destination? I am not fully understanding this unless, when she relates the events, due to guilt from not "doing more" she interjects how she felt they were safe. That is common, adding hindsight to statements.

#8 The white truck could just be a white truck. The person may have stopped and was taking a leak behind the building. The white truck may also have not been from the area and the reason they never came forward was they never heard about the case or if they were in the area for awhile, moved prior to to search for the white truck.

Great questions. What would be very helpful would to have a map of everything in an image. I am not savvy enough to do that....Anyone?

I would love to have a map also. I can see it in my head obviously...would love for others to see how the important streets, directions they may have taken would take them in almost a circle....and just see how the different areas relate to each other.

I have really been thinking about riding over to take some photos and post. It's a good little trip though.

Does anyone know how far the party was away from the crime scene? Or where the party was located?

I wonder if they ran across someone they knew on the road. If the party was close by, it could have been someone leaving the party. Or like other poster have stated, someone that saw them on one of their stops. I don't see a random perp waving their car down unless he knew it was a woman inside- a hard thing to tell in the dark with headlights coming towards you. Since he didn't rob them, I am going to assume it was all about sex. JMO

Does anyone know how far the party was away from the crime scene? Or where the party was located?

I wonder if they ran across someone they knew on the road. If the party was close by, it could have been someone leaving the party. Or like other poster have stated, someone that saw them on one of their stops. I don't see a random perp waving their car down unless he knew it was a woman inside- a hard thing to tell in the dark with headlights coming towards you. Since he didn't rob them, I am going to assume it was all about sex. JMO

BBM. Yes, the control and power of sexual acts. I agree it would be very hard to figure out if a woman was driving a vehicle at night. I also wonder if the fact there were 2 people in the car created some issues for the person as well, resulting in one being placed in the trunk and killed right away. I would love a map. I do not know how to do them, though. :-(

- 9 mil hand gun is also the standard issued handgun for the Military.( perp could be familiar with the weapon as to why he used a 9mil)

- ( bolded ) How about the perps education level?...

Sorry about the late reply. Since the 1990's, the Military has only accepted people who've completed High School or have a GED. I know that because when I passed the "ASFAB?" at a recruiters office, that was the first question they'd asked.
(add)
Also, since I kinda pegged him to be in the mid 20's he may have been continuing education in the Military. But wasn't "studying" weapons. Because if that were the case he would have known that they could trace the markings on the shell casings. Because of his age he was almost done with the Military too. So maybe he knew he was going "on leave" or not active duty anymore and was just in the area for a limited time. I'd say his "resident" state is somewhere else.

Also, that was ten years ago. Now he's mid-thirties. If he's not deceased.

IMO This was definitely a sex crime gone wrong. Also, I wonder if the girls would have stopped for a vehicle in distress. Maybe the Pick-up or another driver feigned distress by putting the hood up and then took the opportunity from there?
However, I don't think this was targeted or planned.Simply because the killer didn't dispose of the bodies, and cover all of his tracks. If it were planned, educated and professional; he'd have hidden the shell casings and wiped off the palm print. Also, maybe he HAD thought of that but was startled by an oncoming car. So he quickly shuts the trunk and gets out of there without trying to make a scene.
I think this was an open opportunity, get the girls to talk to him and then take advantage of the situation. It's not often you come across two nearly "lost" petite/pretty females.

I have lived in Dothan since 1983 and I remember this so well. My son attends high school now where the girls went to school. It has amazed me that this has not been solved...although our LE does not have a lot of experience with these kinds of situations (thank goodness).

God bless y'all for trying to help!

I hope someone is able to get a map up, I would love that also. I have only been to Dothan a few times. But other than the military base, it seemed like such a rural area outside the gates. Certainly you had your strips here and there and restuarant row, but for the most part it was a lot of trees and land! I was there in Aug 1999 and again later in around March 2000.

So, if the white truck was there from 11:30 to 12:30, the girl spoke to her mom at 11:30, minutes later leaving AFTER the white truck. Why the big timeframe?

As a teenager, the thought that there were headed to or coming from someplace they weren't supposed to is very credible. We have all done it once, at least thats what I like to tell myself. :blushing:

Unless the person/s stopped somewhere and let the girls pass him, he still has to figure out how to get them stopped. I don't think I read there was any damage to the car. The girls would have had to been stopped, maybe at a red light? But what does he do with his vehicle and how does he get back to it. Is there a corner where they could have been carjacked. Someone gets in the back seat with a gun. But no robbery. Very puzzling. You would think they would have had a person in the car with them and noone noticed him or her. At some point things went awry. A hitchhiker? A friend?

Kelly

I don't necessarily believe that the truck driver never coming forward means that person is the missing key, though they may have seen something and it's odd that the witness never mentioned the truck. However I'm sure the driver quickly realized that coming forward would make them a suspect and even if cleared that sort of thing can ruin your reputation. You know "oh look there's bob, he was suspected of murder a few years back" sort of thing.

Something I wonder. Maybe I mis-read a post, but was one girl placed in the trunk and shot before the other girl was in the truck? If so how in the hell did anyone get the 2nd girl in the trunk? I'm sure the timeline can't be concrete but that was the impression I got as to who got in the trunk when.

Something else I wonder. What is with the gas? They filled up and shortly the car was almost but not totally out of gas? Was anyone able to compare the mileage on her car to anything, even her most recent oil change? Or maybe she reset the trip counter when she got gas? I used to do that all the time in case the gas gauge stopped working, I still had an idea of when I was low.

The police officer impersonator idea really sticks with me since her license was out.

Maybe they were stopped for a traffic light ot stop sign and the killer hopped in the car with them- caught them by surprise with the doors unlocked.

Ozark is a small town. Downtown- which the girls would have had to pass through to get to hwy 231 - is on a "square". So there were 4 corners each of which had a stop sign or traffic light to stop. And then after going past the square, there would have been a few more traffic lights, and when they turned onto 231 there are 4 (I think, counting the 231 intersection) they would pass through before leaving Ozark. If this is the way he got control of the girls- then he had several opportunities.

Maybe they were stopped for a traffic light ot stop sign and the killer hopped in the car with them- caught them by surprise with the doors unlocked.

Ozark is a small town. Downtown- which the girls would have had to pass through to get to hwy 231 - is on a "square". So there were 4 corners each of which had a stop sign or traffic light to stop. And then after going past the square, there would have been a few more traffic lights, and when they turned onto 231 there are 4 (I think, counting the 231 intersection) they would pass through before leaving Ozark. If this is the way he got control of the girls- then he had several opportunities.

I would think that would be possible. But how many carjackings end up in murders? Could the person have been on drugs? You would also think the perp would then rob them.

So, as another said, sexually related crime. Yet semen found on skin and clothing. Oral sex? Seems like so much more than a crime of opportunity though?

About the amount of gas used-

Distance from Dothan to Headland-16 miles.

Distance from Headland to Abbeville- 21 miles.

Distance from Headland to Ozark-30 miles.

distance from Abbeville Al to Ozark Al 38 miles.

I don't know how accurate this is, but I think it's a pretty good estimate. I put Abbeville in there because I have always assumed the girls got lost somewhere near Headland and ended up in or near Abbeville which is a straight shot due north of Headland on the same road. I then guesed they somehow ended up on hwy 27 which sent them straight into Ozark, and the Big/Little on Broad St(27) was most likely the first pay phone they came to after coming the back way into Ozark from Abbeville. This would mean they truly were lost and telling the truth when they made the phone call home.

Now, one could assume they went to Ozark on purpose, and if they did they most likely would have left Headland and drove to Ozark via hwy 231. That would mean they knew where they were at all along and made the phone call to buy themselves more time to get home w/o being in trouble for being out late.

Regardless of the scenario, they met their killer IMHO after pulling out of the Big/Little.

It's also MHO the girls really were lost and ended up coming into Ozark the back way and making the phone call home.

Someone that has more time than I do( I work from home and am eating dinner and typing here before I head back to "work" Super busy right now!)might want to take the timeline from an earlier post, pull up a Google map , and the mileage estimates and see what they come up with as far as how far the girls might have driven and how much gas they used- and what is left might show how far the killer drove the car and it would give a radius from the dump site as to far out he might have killed them .

Howe

don't neccessarily think it was what we normally think of as a carjacking- robbery by a gang banger type to steal the car or rob the driver. I believe it was more of a way to gain control of the girls because I do believe this was a sexually motivated crime of opportunity.

But you can't can't discount the carjack theory completely as these things were still common in '99, and if the girls did leave town via 27, they went right through that type of neighborhood and I "think" there is a traffic light right at the corner where the park is that I mentioned earlier in this thread. Bad neighborhood right through there.

I downloaded and cropped the image of the truck and blew it up a bit. I see writing on the side but the image is too blurry to make out. You all could do this too if you have any type of image manipulator. Also my BF pointed out that the "body line" doesn't follow all the way behind the pump. Meaning that either the bed is missing, it's a modified flatbed pickup, or a service truck. Also I noticed that the window shape is the same as a chevy, and the body style is about late 70's. Here's a 79 chevy pickup for comparison. What do you guys think?
79-chevy-truck-brake-problems-7996

http://www.motortopia.com/car-blogs/79-chevy-truck-brake-problems-7996

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y513/jenstar55/truck_zps68f4e5a3.jpg

Jenstar- I see trucks around here like that all the time. "farm trucks" Farmers have them and they have a flat bed on back and have all sorts of equipment or fuel tanks on them.

@Killarney rose~ Then there you have it. Maybe there's a farmer nearby that has information. And you never know, he could have been an old guy just gassing up for his runs for the next day. IMHO I'd check the nearby junkyards because I doubt this truck was kept in running condition. As old as it was, and seeing that no one has had info on it, it's probably rotting somewhere. Junkyard owners (most times) require a title for their scrap. There might me a name on that title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marni