AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
TRANSCRIPT - "Interview with Chief Spivey on the Double Murder of Beasley and Hawlett," RickeyStokesNews.com, July 29, 2014:

INTERVIEWER #1: Chief Spivey, tell us a little bit about the Beasley-Hawlett case. Where are we at with that?

SPIVEY: The Beasley-Hawlett case is just one of those cases that has presented, I guess, [one of] the most challenging and difficult cases that we have ever encountered. Of course, you know, as most people know, this began July the 31st of 1999, where J.B. and Tracie were reported missing. They were later found in Ozark on Herring Avenue. Each one of them was in the trunk of the vehicle, of J.B.’s car. They had been shot once each, and of course they were dead on the scene.

We’ve worked countless, countless hours on this case, and continue to do so today. We have been to numerous states running down leads, investigating leads. Every agency that comes to mind has been involved in this case and has touched this case from local agencies to state agencies, federal agencies… You know, the FBI, ABI, they continue to actively assist us in this investigation. As a matter of fact, we had a meeting last week with the state and federal authorities discussing some information.

You know, we’ve run down a lot of leads that basically resulted in a dead end. There was just a— we either substantiated the leads, or did not. And most of them, unfortunately, there was not enough information to substantiate them as being credible.

So today, we continue to work this case just as hard as we did in 1999. Of course, it is our belief — or personally my belief — that there is someone somewhere that has information regarding this case that would be very beneficial and very helpful. Now why those people will not come forward, that’s beyond me. It’s just a very tragic thing, and we certainly want answers for these families. We want justice brought for J.B. and Tracie. And whomever is responsible for this has absolutely got to be brought to justice. And of course we want that to happen immediately.

So that’s pretty much where we’re at now, of course we— you know, DNA, we’re dealing with DNA evidence. There’s a lot more technology in the DNA science world today than there was back in 1999. We’ve made some good strides with the DNA science today [compared to] where we were back then. And I have no idea… hundreds and hundreds of people that have been DNA [tested], none of those match. The CODIS system — people that are placed in prison, or that are released from prison — these people are ran through the CODIS system constantly: again, there’s no match there.

So it’s just, you know, it’s just an absolute mystery. Number one, you know, was, as to why someone would do this. We’re still unsure of a motive. Robbery does not appear to be a motive. Rape was not a motive. So, you know, absent of the reason why someone done this… right now, the only motive is the murder of these two young girls. So that is a hindrance in itself, is, you know, not knowing why. And a lot of crimes like this, you can quickly determine why something like this happened. But here again, you know, that part’s missing as to why.

But it is our belief, again, there’s someone somewhere that has information. And if they don’t want to come in, they can call anonymously. They can put a letter in the mail. There’s a lot of different ways law enforcement can be contacted. And, again, like I said, the number of law enforcement agencies in-state and out of state that continue to actively investigate this case is really phenomenal. We’ve never had a case of this magnitude that encompassed this many law enforcement agencies working a single case. And they are driven, they are absolutely committed to getting the answers that we need to bring this to a resolution.

INTERVIEWER #2: What keeps that commitment strong, Chief, so you don’t give up on cases?

SPIVEY: That’s something I’m asked frequently by the public about this case. And of course they have a concern that two beautiful young girls were murdered in their community. And of course I have that concern.

You never give up on a case. In my career, I’ve heard the term “cold case” time and time again. I don’t consider this a cold case. This case is not on a shelf collecting dust. This case is actively looked at constantly. If we receive information, or a Teletype across the wire that has any similarities whatsoever to this case, normally we go to that location. We’ve been, like I said, in countless states investigating cases that have similarities to this. And again, you know, it did not come to fruition.

But that’s what you’ve got to do, because we owe it to J.B. and Tracie, and certainly we owe it to their families and we owe it to this community to find who is responsible for this case and bring them to justice. And that’s our commitment and that’s what we’re going to do.

http://www.rickeystokesnews.com/art...-spivey-on-the-beasley-hawlett-murders-126812

If he really knew something, and there are many that think he did, it is too late. He passed away March 24th, 2014.

Barring an incredible coincidence, I'd like to respectfully submit that you may have the wrong person. A man with the same name (different middle name) passed away at age 90 in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, on March 24, 2014, according to The Hamilton Spectator. I have been unable to find an obituary for the man who was once arrested in this case.

TRANSCRIPT - "Interview with Chief Spivey on the Double Murder of Beasley and Hawlett," RickeyStokesNews.com, July 29, 2014:

INTERVIEWER #1: Chief Spivey, tell us a little bit about the Beasley-Hawlett case. Where are we at with that?

SPIVEY: The Beasley-Hawlett case is just one of those cases that has presented, I guess, [one of] the most challenging and difficult cases that we have ever encountered. Of course, you know, as most people know, this began July the 31st of 1999, where J.B. and Tracie were reported missing. They were later found in Ozark on Herring Avenue. Each one of them was in the trunk of the vehicle, of J.B.’s car. They had been shot once each, and of course they were dead on the scene.

We’ve worked countless, countless hours on this case, and continue to do so today. We have been to numerous states running down leads, investigating leads. Every agency that comes to mind has been involved in this case and has touched this case from local agencies to state agencies, federal agencies… You know, the FBI, ABI, they continue to actively assist us in this investigation. As a matter of fact, we had a meeting last week with the state and federal authorities discussing some information.

You know, we’ve run down a lot of leads that basically resulted in a dead end. There was just a— we either substantiated the leads, or did not. And most of them, unfortunately, there was not enough information to substantiate them as being credible.

So today, we continue to work this case just as hard as we did in 1999. Of course, it is our belief — or personally my belief — that there is someone somewhere that has information regarding this case that would be very beneficial and very helpful. Now why those people will not come forward, that’s beyond me. It’s just a very tragic thing, and we certainly want answers for these families. We want justice brought for J.B. and Tracie. And whomever is responsible for this has absolutely got to be brought to justice. And of course we want that to happen immediately.

So that’s pretty much where we’re at now, of course we— you know, DNA, we’re dealing with DNA evidence. There’s a lot more technology in the DNA science world today than there was back in 1999. We’ve made some good strides with the DNA science today [compared to] where we were back then. And I have no idea… hundreds and hundreds of people that have been DNA [tested], none of those match. The CODIS system — people that are placed in prison, or that are released from prison — these people are ran through the CODIS system constantly: again, there’s no match there.

So it’s just, you know, it’s just an absolute mystery. Number one, you know, was, as to why someone would do this. We’re still unsure of a motive. Robbery does not appear to be a motive. Rape was not a motive. So, you know, absent of the reason why someone done this… right now, the only motive is the murder of these two young girls. So that is a hindrance in itself, is, you know, not knowing why. And a lot of crimes like this, you can quickly determine why something like this happened. But here again, you know, that part’s missing as to why.

But it is our belief, again, there’s someone somewhere that has information. And if they don’t want to come in, they can call anonymously. They can put a letter in the mail. There’s a lot of different ways law enforcement can be contacted. And, again, like I said, the number of law enforcement agencies in-state and out of state that continue to actively investigate this case is really phenomenal. We’ve never had a case of this magnitude that encompassed this many law enforcement agencies working a single case. And they are driven, they are absolutely committed to getting the answers that we need to bring this to a resolution.

INTERVIEWER #2: What keeps that commitment strong, Chief, so you don’t give up on cases?

SPIVEY: That’s something I’m asked frequently by the public about this case. And of course they have a concern that two beautiful young girls were murdered in their community. And of course I have that concern.

You never give up on a case. In my career, I’ve heard the term “cold case” time and time again. I don’t consider this a cold case. This case is not on a shelf collecting dust. This case is actively looked at constantly. If we receive information, or a Teletype across the wire that has any similarities whatsoever to this case, normally we go to that location. We’ve been, like I said, in countless states investigating cases that have similarities to this. And again, you know, it did not come to fruition.

But that’s what you’ve got to do, because we owe it to J.B. and Tracie, and certainly we owe it to their families and we owe it to this community to find who is responsible for this case and bring them to justice. And that’s our commitment and that’s what we’re going to do.

http://www.rickeystokesnews.com/art...-spivey-on-the-beasley-hawlett-murders-126812

"Rape was not a motive" - why does he say this as fact. If I recall in the early days of the investigation they were pretty positive they knew the motive. I will have to find a link to confirm that...unless someone else can.

Barring an incredible coincidence, I'd like to respectfully submit that you may have the wrong person. A man with the same name (different middle name) passed away at age 90 in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, on March 24, 2014, according to The Hamilton Spectator. I have been unable to find an obituary for the man who was once arrested in this case.

To my knowledge there is no obituary. I private messaged details for you to check out. It may have been March 25th,2014 instead of the 24th, but I am about 99.99% sure he is deceased.

Dime Detective werent you writting a book? When I saw you deleted your trail/account on reddit and the facebook for the girls it meant your book was about ready. What is going on with the facebook deletion?

Has anyone seen a Scott post on Topix and seen some of what he post about?

You mean about the woman that heard the gun shots on 231, and the bus driver that was killed by a man off of 231? If I remember correctly, earlier in these forums there was information about this. She came forward a bit after the incident with the information, and I believe it was in the 231/123 area. I would have to go back in the forums and look, but I think that is where they were talking about it possibly being the scene, with the old buildings and a casing that was found. As far as the bus incident, I guess anything is possible, but the man lived 11 miles from where the girls and car were found, would have had no assistance for covering that distance, and after the issues he had with neighbors they would have called if they had heard shots. He certainly could be a possibility if circumstances were different, but they would have been almost to Midland City, and the private road he lived on is on the other side of a divided highway. I don't see them going down that road, or him being in the area in Ozark they were last seen or found.

Irishrose reminds me of something I think I've read before but werent the cops supposed to take sample of the ground where they think the murders might have occured and compared it to what was found on the girls pants? Did they ever give out the results of the lab test or did they even do it?

I am not sure. I know I read on another forum where someone said there were matches of gathered materials to an area called Sandy Creek, and that they compared the two casings to each other (one found on property, one in trunk of car) but do not know if law enforcement really released any forensic information, or what samples were taken.

Do you have a link so we can read?

I found the information previously in relation to the death, but I don't think it would be right or even permissible to put how to on the board. I can let anyone who wishes to know how to find it know though through private message,. I am thinking wanttoknow and I probably have the same source if it is social media.

I found the information previously in relation to the death, but I don't think it would be right or even permissible to put how to on the board. I can let anyone who wishes to know how to find it know though through private message,. I am thinking wanttoknow and I probably have the same source if it is social media.

I could be totally off base here... but aren't deaths public record? I understand what you are saying about social media links however.

Haven't been on here in a while. While getting ready for work this morning I had a new idea. Maybe we should brainstorm the reasons why the victims were left where they were. I still think that's the key to narrowing the suspect. Here is my two cents.

1. The victims were left there because the suspect home and/or suspect's vehicle was close by.
2. He was on a "time frame" and has a girlfriend/spouse to answer to, therefore could not drive them far away. This means he acted alone.

Haven't been on here in a while. While getting ready for work this morning I had a new idea. Maybe we should brainstorm the reasons why the victims were left where they were. I still think that's the key to narrowing the suspect. Here is my two cents.

1. The victims were left there because the suspect home and/or suspect's vehicle was close by.
2. He was on a "time frame" and has a girlfriend/spouse to answer to, therefore could not drive them far away. This means he acted alone.

I agree the location of JB's car is significant. Either #1 or #2 could be correct. I have also wondered if the killer wasn't staying or partying with friends near that location. The "Man From Michigan" was partying near there that night. He was actually a native of that area and moved to Michigan very soon after the murders.

I also agree with this theory, and that it might have been someone staying with or partying with someone close by. That in itself makes things complicated because the location the girls were found at is in immediate walking distance from 3 different sets of public housing, as well as other residences and the hospital, where it would not be uncommon to have someone coming or going from the parking lot. I still think there was someone else involved, even if it was just to pick up the individual who committed the murders and/or drive the murderer's car. SOMEONE drove the girls' car from the murder scene. Unless they were on foot and got them to stop or snuck into the car somehow, someone else almost had to have assisted.

Last week I was in Ozark again for work. During lunch, I drove from the payphone store to the spot where the girls were found. It's an awkward but very very short drive. I say awkward because you almost HAVE to be familiar with that area to find that spot.

Does anyone know the directions the girls were given to get to 231 from the Big/Little store? If they were told to turn left on South Union at the town square, they may have turned left at the first traffic light by mistake. That would take them toward Depot and Herring Streets potentially.

Last week I was in Ozark again for work. During lunch, I drove from the payphone store to the spot where the girls were found. It's an awkward but very very short drive. I say awkward because you almost HAVE to be familiar with that area to find that spot.

I agree. I grew up in Ozark and had no idea where Depot Lane was. I only knew Herring Street because I passed it every day on my way to school. I think the killer lived in the area.

Does anyone know the directions the girls were given to get to 231 from the Big/Little store? If they were told to turn left on South Union at the town square, they may have turned left at the first traffic light by mistake. That would take them toward Depot and Herring Streets potentially.
There was a discussion on this a while back when the first thread was very active if you are interested in reading it. Its unknown what directions they were given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
safetycircle