GUILTY AL - J.B. Beasley & Tracie Hawlett, both 17, murdered, Ozark, 31 July 1999 *ARREST in 2019* #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's been awhile since he was last in court - so this is a bit long - but will shorten it up a bit.

Thursday, March 17th:
*Motions Hearing (@ 9am CT) – AL – J.B. Hilton Green Beasley (17) & Tracie Jean Hawlett (17) (July 31, 1999, Ozark, found August 2, 1999 in trunk of car) - *Coley Lewis McCraney (25 @ time of crime/45/now 48) arrested (3/15/19), charged (3/16/19) & indicted (6/6/19) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder, 2 counts of 1st degree murder while in the act of murdering two or more persons & 1 count of 1st degree rape (Beasley). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Parabon Nanolabs GEDMatch DNA
Trial set to begin on 5/2/22.
Court information from 4/3/19 thru 12/20/21 reference post #445 here:
AL - J.B. Beasley & Tracie Hawlett, both 17, murdered, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #5 *ARREST*

12/21/21: Defense’s response to State's Motion in Limine restricting the submission of evidence that another person committed the murders. Circuit Judge William H. Filmore set a hearing date on the motions for 1/6/22. 1/6/22 Update: The Judge granted (1/7/22) the State’s motion in Limine, It is absolute, but with conditions. Basically the defense will have to present to the court (i.e. the judge in chambers, away from the jury) almost any exculpatory witness or evidence they intend to present. Judge Filmore will consider on a situation-by-situation basis what testimony to allow during the trial. Among them is a witness prepared to testify that an Ozark police officer confessed to those crimes at a Christmas party, attorney David Harrison said during a court hearing last week. He also claims another person saw an officer near the crime scene only hours before police discovered the girls’ bodies in the trunk of their car.
1/6/22 Update: Judge Filmore took their oral arguments under advisement & subsequently issued the order requiring evidence to be presented to have review in chamber (but on the record always) prior to presentation in open court. He will scrutinize the witness list & latitude of questioning also. The defense wants to introduce some unspecified hearsay evidence that they feel falls under one of the exceptions that allow it to be admissible. 1/12/22: Document #220: Discovery report of Barrentine interviews was released to defense counsel. The State has had several pending motions that have been filed earlier that have not been ruled on. Judge Filmore has set a hearing date of 3/17/22 at 9:00am. 1/21/22: Discovery production motion notice. All evidence that is intended to be used at trial has been provided to the defense counsel.
1/25/22: Motion for Specific Production-Gun; Motion for Specific Production-Underwear; Motion for Production-Socks all filed by defense. 1/26/22: Motion to Transport-To transport defendant from Dale County Jail to Ozark Police Dept. for the purpose of viewing evidence on 1/28/22 @ 9:30am.
2/3/22: Order for defendant's motion (#244) for DNA testing-granted. 2/4/22: State's motion (Doc #246) Response to motion for specific production. (State does not possess coroner's report). 2/5/22: State's response (#252) to Defendant's Motion for specific production (9/10/19) re American's Most Wanted TV show-nothing received. State's response (#248) to Defendant's Motion for specific production (9/5/19) re Crime Stopper tip related to this case-does not possess. State's response (#250) to Defendant's Motion for specific production (9/9/19) re Officer Butch Jones investigative report & autopsy never done.
2/8/22: (#258) State's response to defense request for production-interview & exhibits regarding Lanier Beasley. (#260) State's response to defense request for production of two Lorcin 9mm pistols held in possession of Ozark Police. (#254): Erin motion. Response to Motion for specific production. Neither statement nor reference to a Mr. Erin Davis can be located in the history of this case. Mr. Erin Davis is unknown to the prosecution: so without additional information the State has nothing to produce in regard to Mr. Erin Davis. (#256) State's response to defense motion regarding underwear & socks at scene.
3/1/22: Motion, Ex-Parte Order & subpoena request filed. 3/7/22: Subpoenas for Jeanette D. McCraney & Dan Driver to appear on 5/2/22 @ 9am. 3/9/22: Doc #266: Response to Motion for specific production (9/10/19). State has not been able to discovery a connection between Victor Glass & the above-styled cases. Doc #268: Defendant's Motion in Limine. Doc #270: Defendant's Order to set motion for in Limine hearing on 3/17/22. 3/15/22: 10 Subpoenas issued.

“Judge William Filmore is set to make a decision on these pending motions in the coming days. The main trial, in this case, is currently set for May 2nd in the Dale County Courthouse.”

Coley McCraney case takes another step forward

Very brief article, only about 5 mini paragraphs, the size above. Mentions defense and prosecution going back and forth and the buzz in community over case.

*My opinions

Last edited:
BL, do you know the name of the officer that is mentioned in the article?

BL, do you know the name of the officer that is mentioned in the article?

Before answering let me make one thing clear: In regard to statement by the defense that a police officer killed these two girls will be their exclusive defense, I call bull. That is a pre trial distraction. A third of the subpoenas that they desire to be issued are non- law enforcement subjects and are related to McCraney in some form or fashion. That is not a coincidence in my view. All of the 10 non-government witnesses are not just character witness. I look for an alibi to materialize. If one does come to pass, I will dissect my thinking and knowlege for you post-trial if this comes to pass

As far as the officer to be implicated, I sort of doubt that any of the police officers subpoenaed are going to be directly implicated as the actual actor. Perhaps strongly connected, but not the actor that killed the girls. It will be far easier to implicate a subject/officer that cannot give rebuttal testimony. My opinion could be awry, but it could be former officer Jones that allegedly committed suicide a couple of years after murders.
Being that there is alleged to be no Coroners report and no police report (oops) on his unnatural death is additional substance for the defense council to chew on.

Just my thoughts folks. there will be some orders issued Monday/Tuesday. I’ll try to keep you posted.

Justice on!

Last edited:
It will be nice if after the court case is over if there is an overview of the entire night of July 31, 1999. Where did J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett go that night? How did they end up in Ozark, AL at the Big Little gas station? And so many more questions, some that will probably be answered and some that won't.

Here are the orders from the Court hearing held on March 17. If you have any reference questions I will try to direct you in the right path. Have a great weekend friends.

Attachments

• March 18 Motion in Limine Hearing - Court Orders .pdf
    133.1 KB · Views: 19
I had something quite unusual come up on Alacourt today. It is a request for production through subpoena by the defense. I will make no opinion regarding it as it is a developing situation.

Highly interesting and provocative if there is substance to it. . Please note the person being referred to in the subpoena request is gender specific as “her”. If there was not a gag order in place, the defense would be having a field day.
Please see attached motion. As an after note, the subpoena requested was approved and served on the Ozark Police today. Verified through Alacourt

Attachments

• Motion for request for Production 3 22 22.pdf
    155.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
MOTION HEARING ANNOUNCEMENT

There has been a motion hearing set for April 7, 2022.

No specific motions listed to be presented on Alacourt. I do believe however it will include the topic and motion I presented in the for request for production as listed in post #530.

The smoke show continues. Justice on my friends!!

Attachments

• Motion hearing for April 7, 2022.pdf
    93.2 KB · Views: 16
Setting Date: Thursday April 07, 2022

Case Number Time Name
Judge WILLIAM H. FILMORE
26-CC-2019-000187.00 1:30 PM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000188.00 1:30 PM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000189.00 1:30 PM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000190.00 1:30 PM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000191.00 1:30 PM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS

link: Alacourt ACCESS V2.0

Thank you for this. There were also numerous other motions filed that the news report did not touch on. All but one of these will be handled during the motion hearing on April, 7th. One was ruled on today because of time sensitivity

1. Request for production for all documentation regarding the Mazda 929 that was J.B.’s and they were eventually discovered in.
2. A motion for a delay of time to allow for a jury list investigation. The jury list will not be available for review until next week. This motion was handled today and denied by the Judge.
3. Motion for individual and sequestered Voir Dire. Basically the defense wants to interview the potential jurors individually instead of being questioned as a group. (Actually a good idea, although I can think of a solid argument against it)
4. Motion for production of information, data, photos, etc for all unmarked cars used by the Ozark Police between July 24, 1999 and August 7, 1999
5. Motion for production of a police interview of Rena Crumb by a then Lt. Tommy Merrit and (ofc?) Sam Pickett
6. In addition there is a subpoena request by the defense for John (Jon) Carroll. As a refresher, Carroll was the publisher of the Henry County Reporter, an online blog which originally brought public the allegations by Rena Crumb of a police connection, involvement or direct culpability in the murders of Tracy Hawlett and J.B. Beasley.

As purely of experience, contrary to the television station’s assertion that the suppression motion with be ruled on in May, I disagree on good reasoning. It will be ruled on sooner. Perhaps they have an ear or grasp closer than I do though. We will see

Last edited:
FRESH EYES

My friends, in court cases as much as in life one has to step back, take a breath and a break to reevaluate. In order to (re)gain insight and objectivity. For the sake of being honest with myself and everyone that might hear my thoughts I have done done just that

With the above in mind I need to clarify a modification of my thought of not only the upcoming trial, but the case in total. Going through my research I feel I must amend my conclusion that I brought forth in post #527.

It is my opinion that the defense may or may not still implicate a now deceased police officer. I am not as solid on that idea now either way. Whether they do or not, another former OPD officer will be implicated instead or together with the deceased officer or other actors. My reasoning for is this:

The mechanics and magnitude of the crime (without a rehash of details) are high suggestive of multiple actors are involved in the crime. I realize a number may disagree with this and that is fine. I have thought this for the entire time of the case. Please be assured that all the lawyers involved in the case realize this all too well as much of local public. I will be the last to discredit the DNA evidence involved as connective, but is but one component of a fatal night and it is up in the air whether it will be conclusive enough either way. The rest of the circumstantial evidence may or may not carry enough weight to tip a scale. Juries are funny creatures, but more times than not, they get it right.

Do not take this as a opinion on the guilt or innocence of the accused. My professional character crosses over into my patterns of thought always and I will never allow a “complete” opinion to be formed, much less expressed, prior to a trial and conviction. Even with our families and friends involved. That is for the court and a jury to decide. As I have stated before, I am not interested in merely a conviction or acquittal , I am interested in justice. I desire this more than anything outcome closure for our families and the caring public.

Thank you for listening friends
Justice on!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenisaHerdzik