GUILTY AL - J.B. Beasley & Tracie Hawlett, both 17, murdered, Ozark, 31 July 1999 *ARREST in 2019* #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
New batch subpoenas have been issued. Five in total.

RANDY SAFFOLD
BARBARA CULVER
TIFFANY BANE
JEANETTE MCCRANEY ( I believe she was already under subpoena. This leads me to think that this batch of subpoenas might be in reference to the upcoming bond hearing. This certainly would be unusual at best.)
LORETHA WARD

Thank you friends

Last edited:
Setting Date: Thursday November 10, 2022

Judge WILLIAM H. FILMORE

Case # Time Name
26-CC-2019-000187.00 1:30 PM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000188.00 1:30 PM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000189.00 1:30 PM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000190.00 1:30 PM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000191.00 1:30 PM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
END OF THE REPORT

link: Alacourt ACCESS V2.0

Thursday, November 10th:
*Bond Review Hearing (@ 1:30pm CT) – AL – J.B. Hilton Green Beasley (17) & Tracie Jean Hawlett (17) (reported missing July 31, 1999, Ozark & found August 2, 1999 in trunk of car) - *Coley Lewis McCraney (25 @ time of crime/45/now 49) arrested (3/15/19), charged (3/16/19) & indicted (6/6/19) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder, 2 counts of 1st degree murder while in the act of murdering two or more persons & 1 count of 1st degree rape (Beasley). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Parabon Nanolabs GEDMatch DNA.
Trial was set to begin on 8/15/22 has been postponed until 2023. Jury selection began on 8/8/22 & ended on 8/9/22 with not enough prospective jurors.

Court information from 4/3/19 thru 8/7/22 & Jury selection (Day 1-2) 8/8 to 8/9/22 reference post #626 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...17-ozark-31-july-1999-5-arrest.465871/page-32

8/12/22 Update: Next status hearing or could be motions hearing on what evidence will be allowed in trial on 8/15/22. 8/15/22 Update: Among the reasons that a jury could not be seated to deliberate the fate of suspected murderer McCraney is because some ordered to serve have died. That is understandable because driver’s license information, used to choose prospective jurors in Dale County, is sometimes outdated. Some were excused because of unavoidable conflicts, others disqualified because they did not meet requirements & some summons returned marked undeliverable. Five in Dale County & two in Houston County are dead. Then, there are a few who neglected their civic duty which aggravates Woodall. Those who fail to appear for jury duty could face contempt of court charges.
8/17/22 Update: “(McCraney) is not a danger to the community, nor a flight risk,” his attorney David Harrison wrote in a motion he filed Tuesday. McCraney is asking for his jail release on bond. Dale County Circuit Judge William Filmore, Sr. has set a 9/8/22 hearing on McCraney’s latest request.
8/18/22: Defense Motion for court reporter to transcribe interviews. Specifically for Lt. Tommy Merritt & Rena Crumb on 7/1/22, Rena Crumb conducted 2/3/22 by Michael Bryan & interview of Dan Drive conducted on 3/19/22 with Chief Marlos Walker, Corporal Everett Evans, FBI Special Agent Heather Whalen & SBI Agent Barry Tucker. Order: Motion for court reporter to transcribe interviews motions-granted signed by Judge William H. Filmore. 8/22/22 Update: Defense requests the bond hearing to be heard in the afternoon @ 1:30pm-granted. If a jury can not be seated at next trial Judge Filmore will consider the motion for change of venue.
9/8/22 Update: Bond review hearing postponed until 11/10/22 @ 1:30pm. 10/26/22: Subpoenas: Randy Saffold, Barbara Culver, Tiffany Bane, Jeanette McCraney & Loretha Ward.

Bond hearing today. Judge will render decision later.

Nov. 11, 2022
DOTHAN, Ala. (WTVY) - Suspected killer Coley McCraney hopes for jail release as he awaits trial on charges that he brutally shot two Dothan teens.

Several witnesses testified on Thursday that McCraney is of good character, dependable, and would not abscond if released.

His attorneys portray him as a hard-working husband and father of two.

Former Dothan mayoral candidate Sidney Miller echoed those sentiments.

His attorneys told Dale County Circuit Judge William Filmore that McCraney is willing to wear an ankle monitor to track his whereabouts if bond is set.
[.....]
It seems almost certain that Filmore won’t permit bond given the most serious of all charges and potential death penalty McCraney faces.

A ruling will likely come next week.

This is welcome news as far as I’m concerned.

I will not be arrogant enough to say I saw this coming, but it does not surprise me a bit. In fact, even though it does not draw a lot of publicity the AG’s office has a standing death penalty prosecution team which handles all appeals from death penalty convictions within the State. In addition Alabama statute permits the AG to intervene in any criminal prosecution in the State on a discretionary basis. I see this as a proactive move by the Attorney General and not necessarily requested by DA Kirke for a number of possible reasons.

Except for Prosecutor Emery’s unfortunate bicycling accident, I find the late timing of this active participation curious. But that is academic for now. (I wish Mr. Emery a speedy recovery. Physical trauma at an advanced age is truly a dangerous situation no matter the level of severity and can be deadly)

Last edited:
So @Blacklist - you have not heard about a next court hearing date yet? TIA!
The Waving Smiley Smiley

Nov. 21, 2022

OZARK, Ala (WDHN)— Monday we learn more about why the state’s most powerful law officer has taken on one of the most high-profile murder cases in the Wiregrass.

Attorney General Steve Marshall and Assistant Attorney General Jimmy L. Thomas has joined the prosecution of Coley Lewis McCraney, who is accused of killing teenagers Tracie Hawlett and J.B Beasley in the summer of 1999

The Dale County District Attorney’s Office reached out to Attorney General Marshall requesting his help in the case following a devastating bicycle accident involving David Emry, which left him with critical injuries.

Emery, the Dale County Assistant District Attorney, was the lead prosecutor on the McCraney case.

Emry will continue to consult on the case, says Dale County District Attorney Kirk Adams.

Everyone has there cases this is mine I've followed through the years. I have about four. When this goes to trial I want to make it very public. I've been gone while from here but always checked on my four or five cases. I hope this doesn't drag out for years. And that stuff discovered is brought forward. Thank you to all the members loyal to this case being solved to me it's still a mystery.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DebsDaughter
Back