GUILTY AL - J.B. Beasley & Tracie Hawlett, both 17, murdered, Ozark, 31 July 1999 *ARREST in 2019* #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think that is a possibility, however, where was the car parked when Tracie made the payphone call and J.B. got out and talked to Ms. Merritt and her daughter? If, for example, it was parked directly in front of where Tracie was making the payphone call, I think it is less likely.

I am guessing there were two cars parked at the Big Little gas station that night. J.B. Beasley's Mazda was one. The other was the car driven by the Merritts. So it is a bit strange the kidnapper would not have tried to gain entry to the Merritt's car first or that the Merritt's would not have spotted this person. And if he arrived after J.B. Beasley parked and her and Tracie got out of the car, how would he know which car belonged to which pair of females? Maybe he thought Tracie was alone because she was making a payphone call, while J.B. Beasley, Ms. Merritt, and her daughter were the other group since they were talking together?

So it looks like that 64,000 dollar question is going to remain unanswered:

Where did J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett cross paths with their killer? In my opinion, that is the most intriguing question in this case.
I think the girls and the lady there in the parking lot would of noticed someone walking up. It's a pretty wide open parking lot where u can see everything. And I think the girls would of noticed a man opening their car and getting inside. And I'm pretty sure the girls would of noticed a man sitting in the backseat of their car. I believe the culprit or culprits gained entry after they left the store. Maybe they were stopped at a stop sign or red light when he walked up to their car door and opened it while holding a gun.
I think that is a possibility, however, where was the car parked when Tracie made the payphone call and J.B. got out and talked to Ms. Merritt and her daughter? If, for example, it was parked directly in front of where Tracie was making the payphone call, I think it is less likely.

I am guessing there were two cars parked at the Big Little gas station that night. J.B. Beasley's Mazda was one. The other was the car driven by the Merritts. So it is a bit strange the kidnapper would not have tried to gain entry to the Merritt's car first or that the Merritt's would not have spotted this person. And if he arrived after J.B. Beasley parked and her and Tracie got out of the car, how would he know which car belonged to which pair of females? Maybe he thought Tracie was alone because she was making a payphone call, while J.B. Beasley, Ms. Merritt, and her daughter were the other group since they were talking together?

So it looks like that 64,000 dollar question is going to remain unanswered:

Where did J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett cross paths with their killer? In my opinion, that is the most intriguing question in this case.
There is no way that a man walked into the parking lot and got into their car at the store unnoticed. The way that store and parking lot is set up, there's just no possible way he could of done that without 3-4 people seeing him.

I'm wondering if the defense will try to use this case in some way to try to get mcCraney off? Are they allowed to do that?

Man cleared of wife’s 1990 murder begs daughter to call him

I am certain the defense team will throw everything out there but the "kitchen sink". However, they will have to show how the case you mentioned is relative to the Beasley/Hawlett murders. It will probably be up to the presiding Judge, what the Defense is allowed to put forth.

I'm hoping(haven't checked) that there were different personnel in OPD in 90. Also, Harrison , no matter what he claims or how much smoke and mirrors he throws up, did not solve the case. That poor man would be on trial now if it weren't for an informant.

Is there any more information/news in regard to possible trial date? I am continuing to hear conflicting information. Alacourt does not indicate from what I can see.

Thanks in advance

In my notes I have 2/3/20 as trial to begin. And here's from the court site. It does not say "what" the hearing is about though.

Setting Date: Monday February 03, 2020
Judge: William H. Filmore

26-CC-2019-000187.009:00 AM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000188.009:00 AM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000189.009:00 AM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000190.009:00 AM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000191.009:00 AM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS

link: AlacourtACCESS

In my notes I have 2/3/20 as trial to begin. And here's from the court site. It does not say "what" the hearing is about though.

Setting Date: Monday February 03, 2020
Judge: William H. Filmore

26-CC-2019-000187.009:00 AM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000188.009:00 AM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000189.009:00 AM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000190.009:00 AM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000191.009:00 AM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS

link: AlacourtACCESS

Yes, Alacourt showed that.
Another trial will be commencing 2/3/20.
Michael Doster re: murder charge
That was the confusion.

So his trial is NOT starting - is that what you are saying - just a hearing?

No. The Beasley/Hawlett trial is not starting. It appears on the docket sheet but as of earlier today neither party has a motion showing on the docket. So no activity is occurring. Curious, but not unusual. (The only exception would be sealed motions. That has not happened in this case and I do not expect it to)

In fact, there has not been a jury selection yet. Still a road to travel here until when/if trial starts.

Monday, February 3rd:
*Motions Hearing (@ 9am ET) – AL – J.B. Hilton Green Beasley (17) & Tracie Jean Hawlett (17) (July 31, 1999, Ozark, found August 2, 1999 in trunk of car) - *Coley Lewis McCraney (45/25 @ time of crime) arrested & charged (3/16/19) & indicted (6/10/19) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder, 2 counts of 1st degree murder while in the act of murdering two or more persons & 1 count of 1st degree rape (Beasley). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Parabon Nanolabs GEDMatch DNA
Trial was set to begin on 2/3/20-continued.

Court information from 4/3/19 thru 9/15/19 reference post #61 here:
AL - AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #5 *ARREST*

9/16/19: Attorneys David Harrison & Andrew Scarborough filed a motion requesting the court to issue an order that all law enforcement officer who are in any way connected with the investigation of their client’s cases turn over to the prosecutors all notes, evidence, and materials related to the investigation. Dale County Judge William Fillmore issued an order stating the motion would be addressed during an Oct. 7 hearing, among other motions under consideration. Trial has been set to start on 2/3/20.
10/7/19 Update: After prosecutors agreed to provide McCraney’s defense team access to the evidence in the case, Dale County Circuit Judge William Filmore continued the hearing. Although court documents show an anticipated trial date for February, Harrison believes McCraney’s jury trial may start in early spring. Trial has been continued, no date set. Motions hearing on 2/3/20.

Monday, February 3rd:
*Motions Hearing (@ 9am ET) – AL – J.B. Hilton Green Beasley (17) & Tracie Jean Hawlett (17) (July 31, 1999, Ozark, found August 2, 1999 in trunk of car) - *Coley Lewis McCraney (45/25 @ time of crime) arrested & charged (3/16/19) & indicted (6/10/19) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder, 2 counts of 1st degree murder while in the act of murdering two or more persons & 1 count of 1st degree rape (Beasley). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Parabon Nanolabs GEDMatch DNA
Trial was set to begin on 2/3/20-continued.

Court information from 4/3/19 thru 9/15/19 reference post #61 here:
AL - AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #5 *ARREST*

9/16/19: Attorneys David Harrison & Andrew Scarborough filed a motion requesting the court to issue an order that all law enforcement officer who are in any way connected with the investigation of their client’s cases turn over to the prosecutors all notes, evidence, and materials related to the investigation. Dale County Judge William Fillmore issued an order stating the motion would be addressed during an Oct. 7 hearing, among other motions under consideration. Trial has been set to start on 2/3/20.
10/7/19 Update: After prosecutors agreed to provide McCraney’s defense team access to the evidence in the case, Dale County Circuit Judge William Filmore continued the hearing. Although court documents show an anticipated trial date for February, Harrison believes McCraney’s jury trial may start in early spring. Trial has been continued, no date set. Motions hearing on 2/3/20.

Thank you for keeping us in the loop on the Court proceedings and sorry about your 49ers. Still they had a great season!

I wonder about this case from time to time. What happened to J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett after they left the Big Little store on the night of July 31, 1999? Where did they go? How did they cross paths with their killer? Where was that place? Where was the place they got the mud on their clothes?

In my opinion, I do not think they knew the man that was arrested for this crime. If they had I think he would have been at least talked to by police years ago. I think one of their friends would have mentioned his name at some point.

I can only guess that the prosecutor is going to trial with DNA and a story based on witnesses stating where J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett were that night. I do not think the prosecution has any other evidence other than DNA. I think the prosecution will need to establish a timeline that could only include the killer meeting them after 11:38 pm, the time Tracie called her mother from the payphone at the Big Little that night. It is a good thing Tracie made that phone call.

Once this case is finally over, I can definitely see a crime show doing an episode about it while theorizing about what they think happened that night. But at least for me, without answers to the questions, this case will always feel incomplete.

Good morning all.. Hope everyone is doing well amid this Covid-19 disaster. The virus reached Dothan around March 18th, and I believe that is what spurred the case to be postponed. Now just about everything non-essential is closed. We cannot gather in groups greater than 10 people and must abide by the 6ft social distancing rule. Praying everyone stays safe!

There is a major question I had regarding the geographical nature of this case. The man that has been arrested for the crime lived in the southeastern part of town at the time( on Lisenby Drive that runs parallel to Carrol Ave). That makes sense with J.B. Beasley's car being found on Herring Avenue. He could then walk home after parking her car.

But what does not make sense is that if we consider that J.B. Beasley knew her way around Ozark, AL and all she had to do was drive down Broad Street to get to U.S. 231, then how would they have ran into their killer? Putting the route home on a map would illustrate this more clearly. The point I am making is how did the killer end up along "the route home" if he lived in the southeastern part of town? Did he walk to that location? And that is why there is not a logistical problem with taking care of two vehicles? He was just out walking in Ozark, AL, presumably somewhere along Broad Street after 11:30 pm at night? We know the girls were headed to stop to see some boys at a gas station along 231 in Midland City, AL(one report I read) and were going home afterwards. And we know the witness at the Big Little gas station in Ozark clearly saw them pull out of the parking lot onto the road.

I guess one solution would be that after parking J.B. Beasley's car on Herring Avenue, he then walked all the way back to wherever he left his own vehicle. Or he was transported or walked to the original location he crossed paths with J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett to begin with, and this would explain why he did not have a vehicle.

DNA is a powerful piece of evidence, but it would help to understand how the events unfolded. From a locational standpoint, it is hard to make sense of the possible locations in this case.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VikkiB73
Back