GUILTY AL - J.B. Beasley & Tracie Hawlett, both 17, murdered, Ozark, 31 July 1999 *ARREST in 2019* #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
McCraney defense looking into former Ozark officer’s suicide

Sep 9, 2019

"OZARK, Ala. (WDHN) — Defense attorneys David Harrison and Andrew Scarborough filed another motion for more evidence to help prove their client’s innocence.

The defense is looking into the 2006 suicide of Butch Jones, who reportedly worked as an undercover Ozark police officer at the time of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett’s deaths.

The motion asks for information on Jones’ autopsy and the ballistic report for the gun used in his death.

It’s not clear what Jones’ connection is to the killings, but the motion states the information may help bolster suspect Coley McCraney’s defense."

I wonder if Butch Jones was one of the undercover officers inside the Hawlette’s house on the day of the murders?

I’ve also heard shell casings are from two different guns. Once the gag order is lifted maybe the truth will finally come out.

In my opinion they aren’t asking for the autopsy report to see what sticks.

This case has had way to many issues over the years for me to believe that CM did this alone. That would require the investigators to be taken in good faith which I’m unwilling to do until proven otherwise.

Strange - I had his next court hearing on 10/7 - and this popped up in the court site:

Setting Date:Monday September 16, 2019:
Judge WILLIAM H. FILMORE

Case NumberTimeName
26-CC-2019-000187.0 09:00AM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000188.0 09:00AM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000189.0 09:00AM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000190.0 09:00AM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000191.0 09:00AM MCRRANEY COLEY LEWIS

link: AlacourtACCESS

Strange - I had his next court hearing on 10/7 - and this popped up in the court site:

Setting Date:Monday September 16, 2019:
Judge WILLIAM H. FILMORE

Case NumberTimeName
26-CC-2019-000187.0 09:00AM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000188.0 09:00AM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000189.0 09:00AM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000190.0 09:00AM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000191.0 09:00AM MCRRANEY COLEY LEWIS

link: AlacourtACCESS

Motion Hearing

Monday, Sept. 16th:
*Motion Hearing (@ 9am ET) – AL – J.B. Hilton Green Beasley (17) & Tracie Jean Hawlett (17) (July 31, 1999, Ozark) - *Coley Lewis McCraney (45/25 @ time of crime) arrested & charged (3/16/19) & indicted (6/10/19) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder, 2 counts of 1st degree murder while in the act of murdering two or more persons & 1 count of 1st degree rape (Beasley). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Parabon Nanolabs GEDMatch DNA
Court information from 4/3/19 thru 7/26/19 reference post #2 here:
AL - AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #5 *ARREST*

8/8/19 Update: Arraignment & Motions hearing: Plead not guilty. Dale County Judge William Filmore issued an order granting a discovery motion filed by defense attorneys within two weeks. They had asked the court to have prosecutors present them with all discovery in the case against McCraney. Next hearing on 10/7.
8/19/19 Update: Defense files motions to ask for evidence to be provided to the defense so it can be examined and tested again by appointed experts, satisfying the higher standards capital murder cases have to prove them. This includes independent testing of the DNA match between McCraney and the DNA evidence found on J.B.’s body and clothing. In addition to a new DNA test, the motions also ask that all clothing, weapons, fingerprints, documents, biological evidence, and other items be given to the defense. Also his Mazda 929 where the girls were found. Aside from testing the evidence, the defense also wants McCraney to get to see the crime scene.
9/5/19 Update: Defense attorneys made more motions for evidence in the Beasley-Hawlett case. This time, the defense is asking all documents, photos and items collected by Lanier Beasley, the father of J.B. Beasley, in his own investigation of the case.
9/9/19 Update: Defense attorneys filed another motion for more evidence to help prove their client’s innocence. The defense is looking into the 2006 suicide of Butch Jones, who reportedly worked as an undercover Ozark police officer at the time of J.B. & Tracie’s deaths. The motion asks for information on Jones’ autopsy and the ballistic report for the gun used in his death.
9/15/19 Update: Motion hearing scheduled for 9/16.

L

Like I said before, DNA matches and from the area....and he didn’t know them, he’s only going to get off on a technicality.
If hes guilty (and the evidence sure seems to point that way,) and gets off it will most likely be due to the composition of the jury rather than facts in the case. While I would never want to see an innocent person imprisoned for a crime they did not commit, this whole episode points out to me the hypocrisy of the "wrongfully accused" lobby . If DNA points to someone in Jail being innocent they always proclaim it a slam dunk certainty, when it points to someone being guilty its "junk science".
I hope he does, but I assume his lawyers don’t want him to.
Conventional wisdom would argue against a defendant taking the stand, but since appears that he will be arguing he knew the victims and presumably had a consensual relation with one of them, I cant imagine a jury would be satisfied with not hearing him explain that relationship. If hes guilty and tries to pull it off , my guess is that any marginally competent DA will eat him alive,

Sep 9, 2019

"OZARK, Ala. (WDHN) — Defense attorneys David Harrison and Andrew Scarborough filed another motion for more evidence to help prove their client’s innocence.

The defense is looking into the 2006 suicide of Butch Jones, who reportedly worked as an undercover Ozark police officer at the time of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett’s deaths.

The motion asks for information on Jones’ autopsy and the ballistic report for the gun used in his death.

It’s not clear what Jones’ connection is to the killings, but the motion states the information may help bolster suspect Coley McCraney’s defense."

It’s not clear what Jones’ connection is to the killings, but the motion states the information may help bolster suspect Coley McCraney’s defense." grasping at straws anyone?

It’s not clear what Jones’ connection is to the killings, but the motion states the information may help bolster suspect Coley McCraney’s defense." grasping at straws anyone?

I guess everyone will just wait and see if there is any connection. That is why it is called discovery. It is still an investigative phase. There are going to be several other discovery motions and hearings before a trial or venue will be set.

What I find very interesting is that the current list of prosecution witnesses are at a minimum. Even though it they could be added to later, none of the initial investigating officers from OPD (1999) are on the list. Especially Chief Spivey and Investigative Lt./Commander Tipton, both have which are for the most part are on a bit of public hiatus.
This is most likely a prosecution tactic because they did not really need them to get the case sent to the Grand Jury, however they will be needed at trial. Prosecution did not include them at the preliminary to help minimize their testimonial (strength and flaws) exposure to the defendant, his counsel and public. (As well as a Pretrial voir dire by the defense)

Yes, there will be much more to see in the future. Who knows, we might even learn a few things that we never saw coming.

Last edited:
McCraney request investigators’ information be turned over to prosecutors

Sep 23, 2019

"Defense attorneys representing Coley McCraney have filed a motion to compel investigating officers to turn over information related to the investigation of McCraney’s murder cases to prosecutors....

According to court documents, attorneys David Harrison and Andrew Scarborough filed a motion requesting the court to issue an order that all law enforcement officer who are in any way connected with the investigation of their client’s cases turn over to the prosecutors all notes, evidence ,and materials related to the investigation and McCraney’s case....

Dale County Judge William Fillmore issued an order stating the motion would be addressed during an Oct. 7 hearing, among other motions under consideration...."

Sep 23, 2019

"Defense attorneys representing Coley McCraney have filed a motion to compel investigating officers to turn over information related to the investigation of McCraney’s murder cases to prosecutors....

According to court documents, attorneys David Harrison and Andrew Scarborough filed a motion requesting the court to issue an order that all law enforcement officer who are in any way connected with the investigation of their client’s cases turn over to the prosecutors all notes, evidence ,and materials related to the investigation and McCraney’s case....

Dale County Judge William Fillmore issued an order stating the motion would be addressed during an Oct. 7 hearing, among other motions under consideration...."

Thank you for the link. I was just about to post it. Alacourt doesn’t show anything significant or different either.

It’s fishing and stalling as I alluded to on on 9/16/19. Like peeling layers on an onion. But everything must/will come out. It will be a lengthy process for sure.

Hi all, It's been a long time since I've been on here.. since Thread 1 or 2 I believe... I went to school with both girls, had classes with both, and went to church with Tracie. I finally got caught up and I dont remember if you guys had the autopsy reports. It was made public and published sometime after McCraney was arrested. I just wanted to share it with you incase it hasn't been shared before. This case has haunted our Class of 2000 and our communities for 20 years. I am glad we are closer to having answers, I just want justice for the girls and hope that this is really it. I dont know how to actually attach the report by itself, but here's the link. Down at the bottom of the article, you can click where it says to view the full list of evidence and it will take you to the report.

www.dothanfirst.com/news/top-stories/new-information-wdhn-breaks-down-autopsy-reports-in-beasley-hawlett-case/

One other thought.. The recent pic of the map that was posted for the original party - I had never gone up around that way at the time, but I live near there now and drive by the dirt road on Hwy 95 almost daily in my commute to work. The map is somewhat confusing as the person that made it did not show where it "Y's" and you go from County Road 99 to County Road 26 in Tumbleton right before the 4-way stop. Unless they knew where "Browns Crossroads" and Hwy 95 was, they could have misread it to mean Staying on County Road 99 instead of turning onto County Road 26 in Tumbleton. If that had happened, they could have taken County Road 99 all the way into Abbeville, unless they turned around somewhere along the way.

Welcome back!
Your local input is very valuable.
I can't even imagine the fear and anxiety you must have had then and continuing years later with two of your classmates being found murdered and the killer unknown.
I hope that answers will come out soon as to what happened.

Monday, October 7th:
*Motions Hearing (@ 9am ET) – AL – J.B. Hilton Green Beasley (17) & Tracie Jean Hawlett (17) (July 31, 1999, Ozark, found in trunk of car) - *Coley Lewis McCraney (45/25 @ time of crime) arrested & charged (3/16/19) & indicted (6/10/19) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder, 2 counts of 1st degree murder while in the act of murdering two or more persons & 1 count of 1st degree rape (Beasley). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Parabon Nanolabs GEDMatch DNA
Trial set to begin 2/3/20

Court information from 4/3/19 thru 7/26/19 reference post #2 here:
AL - AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #5 *ARREST*

8/8/19 Update: Arraignment & Motions hearing: Plead not guilty. Dale County Judge William Filmore issued an order granting a discovery motion filed by defense attorneys within two weeks. They had asked the court to have prosecutors present them with all discovery in the case against McCraney. Next hearing on 10/7.
8/19/19 Update: Defense files motions to ask for evidence to be provided to the defense so it can be examined and tested again by appointed experts, satisfying the higher standards capital murder cases have to prove them. This includes independent testing of the DNA match between McCraney and the DNA evidence found on J.B.’s body and clothing. In addition to a new DNA test, the motions also ask that all clothing, weapons, fingerprints, documents, biological evidence, and other items be given to the defense. Also his Mazda 929 where the girls were found. Aside from testing the evidence, the defense also wants McCraney to get to see the crime scene.
9/5/19 Update: Defense attorneys made more motions for evidence in the Beasley-Hawlett case. This time, the defense is asking all documents, photos and items collected by Lanier Beasley, the father of J.B. Beasley, in his own investigation of the case.
9/9/19 Update: Defense attorneys filed another motion for more evidence to help prove their client’s innocence. The defense is looking into the 2006 suicide of Butch Jones, who reportedly worked as an undercover Ozark police officer at the time of J.B. & Tracie’s deaths. The motion asks for information on Jones’ autopsy and the ballistic report for the gun used in his death.
9/15/19 Update: Pretrial hearing scheduled for 9/16. 9/16/19: Attorneys David Harrison & Andrew Scarborough filed a motion requesting the court to issue an order that all law enforcement officer who are in any way connected with the investigation of their client’s cases turn over to the prosecutors all notes, evidence, and materials related to the investigation. Dale County Judge William Fillmore issued an order stating the motion would be addressed during an Oct. 7 hearing, among other motions under consideration. Trial has been set to start on 2/3/20.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back