AL - Mall shooting leaves 1 dead, 2 wounded, Hoover, 24 Nov 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"Whatever happened, EM had some serious difficulties that could not be remedied with discipline, a change in AIT, etc. His mother also said he dropped out of Catholic school and got a GED, so he has had some history of ongoing difficulties that can't be overlooked. That IS NOT blaming the victim-- those are facts reported in the mainstream media."

"A "general discharge under honorable conditions" indicates the candidate had disciplinary problems that could not be remedied, but did not rise to the level of crimes punishable under the UCMJ. "

"he has had some history of ongoing difficulties that can't be overlooked"

none of those things are facts.

fact - the article you quoted said he did not complete training due to an injury, nothing to do with discipline

fact - a general discharge is not only given for "disciplinary problems that could not be remedied" and it is stated right in the text you quoted

fact - not everyone that drops out of high school has a "history of ongoing difficulties"

it is interesting to read the assumptions you came to and also note the facts in your quoted text that you overlooked.

it is also a fact that the police no longer claim he was "brandishing" a weapon.

So, was "EJ" present when his friend was shot & pulled out his gun to lead people to safety?

Bringing up EB's school and service record, then saying it has no relevance to him being shot to death by LE falls under the category of victim blaming, imo.
Crump posted a picture of "EJ" in his army uniform & his aunt claimed he was in the army & home on leave for Thanksgiving. Pointing out that he was not in the army is not victim blaming imo.

Crump posted a picture of "EJ" in his army uniform & his aunt claimed he was in the army & home on leave for Thanksgiving. Pointing out that he was not in the army is not victim blaming imo.

He was at one time in the army.

Your opinion on the record history is noted - some share it, some don't.

Looking forward to the history of the officer that shot and killed an innocent man.

According t

According to this article, "EJ"s father says he had nothing in his hands. If true, this changes everything.

good catch, i didnt notice that. i wonder if he may just be confused because the police clarified that they no longer thought he was "brandishing", but that does not mean the officer does not still claim that he was "holding" a gun.

if he truly had nothing in his hands when he was shot then yes - that changes everything. but the last comments we have seen from police claim that the officer does still claim EJ was holding his gun in his hand but not threatening anyone with it.

i think the story will end up being that the officer either did see or believed he saw a gun in EJ's hand and believed him to be a fleeing felon who was an immediate danger to everyone around him. the standard for this is whether the officer was "objectively reasonable" in determining there was an immediate deadly threat or there was a continuing deadly threat if the suspect was allowed to escape.

As an Alabamian, I will reserve judgement on the officers until all the facts are in. Birmingham (Hoover) is a city wracked with gun violence and there are daily shootings that don't make the national news.

As an Alabamian transplanted elsewhere, the entire thing is shocking to me for so many reasons. This is the mall I loved the most in AL.

24 years ago this month, my engagement ring came from a jewelry store which was exclusive to Riverchase Galleria. I look back at all my years in the state and recall how happy and safe shoppers were in all our large shopping malls.

I don't understand what's happened to the world, and now to a place of which I've always held special memories .
I pray for the innocent dead man who was trying to help, and for the tragedy of it all in an area which is a flashpoint for violence now. Hoover used to be a lovely and safe area; Greater Birmingham in general, though, was not somewhere I'd ever want to live.

Last edited:
What I glean from the few reports on what happened at the scene - those not recanted by LE.

An 18 year-old male, apparently with EJ, is shot by someone that flees. People panic and EJ waves them to safety and does not leave his friend bleeding on the ground. An officer runs up behind EJ and fires his weapon into EJ's back, hitting him about 3 times. The officer does not shout any instructions to EJ, giving him the opportunity to raise his hands etc - just fires.

LE blames EJ for shooting the 18 year-old in the media then talk to the wounded 18 year-old. He tells the true story. LE somewhat recant, changing their version to 'EJ was brandishing a gun'. LE recants brandishing and EJ's father now states he wasn't holding anything in his hands. This could have come from the 18 year-old and/or others at the scene. Video footage, if any, should show what is true or not.

The shooting was over by the time the officer arrived - LE was unaware of anyone with a weapon or anyone who had just fired a weapon being at the scene - according to their initial version of events. EJ did not fire his weapon - at the fleeing suspect or anyone else, so it was over. The cop fired anyway - at EJ's back.

What I glean from the few reports on what happened at the scene - those not recanted by LE.

An 18 year-old male, apparently with EJ, is shot by someone that flees. People panic and EJ waves them to safety and does not leave his friend bleeding on the ground. An officer runs up behind EJ and fires his weapon into EJ's back, hitting him about 3 times. The officer does not shout any instructions to EJ, giving him the opportunity to raise his hands etc - just fires.

LE blames EJ for shooting the 18 year-old in the media then talk to the wounded 18 year-old. He tells the true story. LE somewhat recant, changing their version to 'EJ was brandishing a gun'. LE recants brandishing and EJ's father now states he wasn't holding anything in his hands. This could have come from the 18 year-old and/or others at the scene. Video footage, if any, should show what is true or not.

The shooting was over by the time the officer arrived - LE was unaware of anyone with a weapon or anyone who had just fired a weapon being at the scene - according to their initial version of events. EJ did not fire his weapon - at the fleeing suspect or anyone else, so it was over. The cop fired anyway - at EJ's back.
I thought "EJ" was at the scene with a gun according to police.

Alabama AG takes over mall shooting cases, citing conflicts of interest - CNN

"(CNN)The Alabama attorney general is taking over the prosecution in the police shooting death of Emantic Bradford Jr. at a Hoover mall, saying "fair-minded persons" might question the district attorney's objectivity, the attorney general said Thursday.

Witnesses have said Bradford, armed with a permitted weapon, was helping mall patrons when the officer shot him in the back, family attorney Ben Crump has said."

Alabama AG takes over mall shooting cases, citing conflicts of interest - CNN

"(CNN)The Alabama attorney general is taking over the prosecution in the police shooting death of Emantic Bradford Jr. at a Hoover mall, saying "fair-minded persons" might question the district attorney's objectivity, the attorney general said Thursday.

Witnesses have said Bradford, armed with a permitted weapon, was helping mall patrons when the officer shot him in the back, family attorney Ben Crump has said."
Crump & the family also have said "EJ" was running away when he was shot. Very confusing.

Crump & the family also have said "EJ" was running away when he was shot. Very confusing.

the two things are not incompatible, he could have been seen telling others to run while also running himself.

or running and then stopping to help others get up etc... then running again.

the two things are not incompatible, he could have been seen telling others to run while also running himself.

I guess anything is possible.

Any thoughts on a previous poster saying that 'EJ' did not leave his bleeding friend & that an officer ran up & shot him in the back.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
permanentvacation
Back