AL - Mass shooting at teen’s birthday party, 20 + shot, 4 + dead, Dadeville, 14 Apr 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So glad I grew up at a time when we had to be on the porch when the fireflies were out. Mama would let us have sweet tea and popcorn for anyone hanging out on the porch with us. No one was rich, we all wore hand me downs, flip flops and cut off jeans. Our lives were simple then. I wonder why things have changed so much since...
Well, it’s easy to see our childhoods with rose-colored glasses, but people were out and about committing atrocities then too. Thirty years from now my kids will be marveling at how terrible the world currently is and how great their childhood was, I bet.
MOO

This is one of the confirmed victims, Phil Dowdell:

I haven’t seen anything on a perp either. Maybe it just overwhelmed the local police and they aren’t sure if the perp is one of the deceased or what? Ugh.

My guess is dead. Jmo tho
I also think that is the most likely, but a little town of 3,000 living in fear might like to know one way or the other, right?

I'm wondering what the LE response time was in such a small community. Sure hope there wasn't enough time for a perp to escape.

The gathering billed as a "press conference" made it very clear that the top priority of those in charge is to protect the town's reputation. (Sometimes, that means hiding the facts.) I hope that's not what is happening, but it sure does look that way to me. This was no press conference, it was a disclaimer. MOO

So glad I grew up at a time when we had to be on the porch when the fireflies were out. Mama would let us have sweet tea and popcorn for anyone hanging out on the porch with us. No one was rich, we all wore hand me downs, flip flops and cut off jeans. Our lives were simple then. I wonder why things have changed so much since...
The internet. Imo. I miss those days as well.

His sister updated her Facebook profile picture Sunday morning to a photo of her kissing her brother’s cheek.

Dowdell’s mother was among the more than 20 other people injured in the melee, sustaining two gunshot wounds, Allen said.
Phil and AlexisPhil Dowdell was one of four people killed in the shooting that took place at his sister Alexis’ “Sweet Sixteen.”

Just on CNN. Haven't time to listen to Dadeville PD presser, but (according to CNN reporter) "No risk to the public safety" stood out to me.

ETA: CNN reporter said that according to the DJ that was hired for the party, there was no fight broken out, just suddenly shots fired and they saw children down. LE will hold presser at 6:00 pm Eastern.

<edited to include time as Eastern>

Last edited:
The internet. Imo. I miss those days as well.
Peanut butter sandwiches, Pepsi-Cola in a bottle and Nancy Drew books. Mama bought the whole set for me. One at a time. Laying out in the front yard on a blanket in my bathing suit. I don’t think girls do that anymore do they?

Anyways, protect the town’s reputation ? What is their reputation now? <modsnip: No source for what is read> Maybe protecting someone’s reputation started the gunfire? Idk, but it’s very sad for all involved. Is it a high school football town?

*eta: I’m sorry @Sillybilly I definitely know better and I don’t remember ever doing it before. I got sloppy.

During a preliminary investigation, the detectives suspected that an altercation led to the shooting at a teenager’s birthday party, WRBL said. Witnesses reported that the celebration was a Sweet-16 birthday party.

Investigators report a suspected altercation led to a shooting at the gathering. Several law enforcement agencies, including ALEA’s State Bureau of Investigation, Dadeville Police, and the Tallapoosa County Sheriff’s Office, responded to the incident and are investigating. We are waiting for an official statement from investigators.

Last edited:
Peanut butter sandwiches, Pepsi-Cola in a bottle and Nancy Drew books. Mama bought the whole set for me. One at a time. Laying out in the front yard on a blanket in my bathing suit. I don’t think girls do that anymore do they?

Anyways, protect the town’s reputation ? What is their reputation now? <modsnip: No source for what is read> Maybe protecting someone’s reputation started the gunfire? Idk, but it’s very sad for all involved. Is it a high school football town?
The only incident I can compare the silence for this long was the club shooting in Colorado. The name of the club escapes me as there are so many they all run together for me.

Pastor Hayes is also the chaplain of the city’s Police Department and the chaplain of the high school football team. “Everybody knows everybody, so this has been pretty tough,” he said.
“I knew these kids personally. Most people did,” the pastor said.

Among those gathered at the hospital, “There was a lot of sadness, a lot of concern on faces,” Hayes said.

“I think at this point it’s shock,” he said. “I think probably the anger will come. I think it’s a matter of time to see how people respond to this. But right now, things are quiet, and we’re just praying that it stays that way.”

“What we’ve dealt with is something that no community should have to endure,” Dadeville Police Chief Jonathan L. Floyd said Sunday.

“I also ask each of you please do not let this moment define what you think about the city of Dadeville and our fine people.”
eta:

Last edited:
I hope local LE has not made mistakes here. While it is easy to criticize and easy to blame and easy to understand the frustrations of loved ones, before we make an assumption please consider the following:
The number one priority of local LE is preservation of life.
LEO’s arrived on the scene to find approximately 20 people shot, some dead, some dying, some some grazed by bullets. The injuries likely went from fatal to minor. The first priority at a scene like this is to assess the injured asap. The most critically injured would be life flighted to a big city trauma hospital if possible or taken by ambulance to the nearest level one trauma center.
The less seriously injured would likely be divided up to be transported to several nearby hospitals to try and avoid overwhelming the ER staff.
It was a 16th birthday party. Many teens that age don’t even have driver’s licenses or other forms of ID. So the question is: If your child is seriously injured in an incident such as this, would you prefer that the emergency personnel wait around trying to figure out who the person is or would you rather they immediately perform life saving efforts and get the victim to a hospital immediately and figure out the rest later?

from your link:
1681672208661-jpeg.415095

Phil Dowdell, a senior set to graduate in a matter of weeks, had been celebrating his sister Alexis' birthday Saturday night at Mahogany Masterpiece dance studio in Dadeville when the first shots rang out following what police suspect was a fight.

Attachments

• 1681672208661.jpeg
    1681672208661.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 363
The only incident I can compare the silence for this long was the club shooting in Colorado. The name of the club escapes me as there are so many they all run together for me.
Not a shooting incident but just recently there was a silence from LE in the Trent Lehrkamp case, which was supposedly hazing but almost killed Trent L. MOO

Given that we've heard nothing about a suspect at large, I'm also guessing the suspect is among the dead.

It would nice if LE would say that, though.

Brother killed, mother shot four times, at the daughter's Sweet 16. My thoughts to their family, and all other families in that small community. Heartbreaking.

I did not interpret the Police Chief's comments about judging Dadeville as any sort of attempt to hide anything or building a narrative of some sort. I heard it as not to think Dadeville is just another place where another mass shooting took place.

MOO

More than 12 hours after the shooting, investigators continued filing in and out of the Mahogany Masterpiece dance studio on Sunday.

City and county officials milled about the Tallapoosa county courthouse less than a block away, where officials lowered the American and Alabama flags to half-staff.

This is at least the second time in recent years that multiple people were shot in Dadeville. Five people were wounded in July 2016 during a shooting at an American Legion hall, and a man was later charged with five counts of attempted murder, news outlets reported.

BBM

Well, that could explain the Police Cheif's remarks. He probably doesn't want the world to think people just run around shooting each other all the time in Dadeville. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back