AL - Mass shooting at teen’s birthday party, 20 + shot, 4 + dead, Dadeville, 14 Apr 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And now number 5, Willie George Brown, Jr, age 19. Unknown if he is related to Johnny brown arrested earlier today.

Alabama Criminal Code - Reckless Murder

So, I am not familiar with the Alabama legal code but my reading of this is that I think if LE determined that the accused went to the party with the intent to kill “Joe Smith”,and if Joe Smith was one of the deceased, they would be charged with First Degree murder?
LE knows that the 3 accused went to a party and shot the place up and may not know the specific intent at this time.
Anyone familiar with the Alabama legal code care to weigh in on this?
I had to look this up because using the word “reckless” to describe the murder of four teens and the wounding of 32 others just seems so inadequate.
I wish I could read the link but all AL government sites block me from opening from another country.
I wonder if the “reckless murder” charge is the most severe charge they can make due to the SCOTUS ruling against executing minors, preventing a capital murder charge, at least for some of the suspects. Reckless murder sentencing is 10-life.
For the adult suspects, the only capital murder reason would be, “Murder wherein two or more persons are murdered by the defendant by one act or pursuant to one scheme or course of conduct”. Then they would need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the person fired the gun that killed two or more. If ballistics supports that evidence against an adult suspect maybe they will up that charge to capital murder, a death penalty charge.
Alabama has the highest per capita capital sentencing rate in the United States. In some years, its courts impose more death sentences than Texas, a state that has a population five times as large. It’s the only state where a judge can override a jury’s decision of life imprisonment and impose the death penalty. So they’re generally not hesitant about the death penalty.
However, the last two AL lethal injections where pretty gnarly so the Governor presently has executions on hold due to the problems with lethal injections being cruel and unusual punishment.

Capital punishment in Alabama - Wikipedia

Last edited:
***Snip****.
However, the last two AL lethal injections where pretty gnarly so the Governor presently has executions on hold due to the problems with lethal injections being cruel and unusual punishment.

Capital punishment in Alabama - Wikipedia
Possibly a silly question, but is there a reason in the 'age of fentanyl' why a massively lethal dose of that isn't used for executions?

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up with capital murder charges. If they can prove they were together and link one or more of them to the bullets that killed the victims it will be guilty of capital murder. I'm not convinced that any of these guys were injured in the hospital Sunday when LE said there was no public threat. Being a local to the area, I can't help but wonder if my teenagers or I have crossed paths with any of them. Tuskegee, Auburn, Opelika, Dadeville etc are all fairly close. People in dadeville or Tuskegee would come to Auburn Opelika to go to any bigger stores like Walmart for example. Just sad and scary that this could happen anywhere. I've been trying to stay close to home this week but looking at eyebrows when I'm out. Just my opinion

Possibly a silly question, but is there a reason in the 'age of fentanyl' why a massively lethal dose of that isn't used for executions?
They have to have a source which can be tricky because pharmaceutical companies don’t want to supply executioners, for whatever reason, maybe moral or political.
Supply issues have been an issue with all execution drugs, I know there is tons of fentanyl coming into the US from Mexico and China but it’s from illicit sources, not reputable pharmaceutical companies.
Nebraska uses fentanyl though and Nevada intends to use it.

Overview of Lethal Injection Protocols

FENTANYL:
Nebraska
first used fentanyl in the August 14, 2018 execution of Carey Dean Moore. Nevada has also announced that it will use fentanyl in combination with other drugs to carry out executions.

Fourth man arrested

Johnny Letron Brown, 20, of Tuskegee

Johnny's mum is in denial. And it sounds as if he just ruined a promising future for himself.
These poor families, all of them. I wish these killers would stop and think what they are doing to their own families (as well as everybody else and their families).

Johnny Letron Brown has a clean criminal record and is set to go to Faulkner University in the fall to play NAIA football, said his mother, [AR].

“He didn’t do any shooting. When the firearms started firing off, he got down on the floor,” she said. “My kids don’t carry weapons, I’m going to tell you that right now. The FBI just searched my house. They couldn’t find one weapon in my house. They didn’t find one bullet in my house and in my shed out back.”

Johnny's mum is in denial. And it sounds as if he just ruined a promising future for himself.
These poor families, all of them. I wish these killers would stop and think what they are doing to their own families (as well as everybody else and their families).

Johnny Letron Brown has a clean criminal record and is set to go to Faulkner University in the fall to play NAIA football, said his mother, [AR].

“He didn’t do any shooting. When the firearms started firing off, he got down on the floor,” she said. “My kids don’t carry weapons, I’m going to tell you that right now. The FBI just searched my house. They couldn’t find one weapon in my house. They didn’t find one bullet in my house and in my shed out back.”

His football career is done. She is in denial but that is pretty common with parents who provide dysfunctional homes for their children. I don't believe it is the kids' fault. I think lack of a father figure, poverty, lack of family support system do take a serious toll.

The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency on Thursday night announced the arrest of a 15-year-old juvenile from Tuskegee, Alabama, the sixth person charged in the case, but court records were not released because of the person’s age.

The district attorney said the teens will be tried as adults as required by Alabama law when anyone 16 or older is charged with murder.

All of the suspects are being held in the Tallapoosa County Jail with no bond with the exception of the 15-year-old, the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency said.

Snipped< Johnny Letron Brown has a clean criminal record and is set to go to Faulkner University in the fall to play NAIA football, said his mother, [AR].

Clearly in denial, he may have lied to his mother about his promising future playing NAIA football, among other things.

From your link:
A spokeswoman for the liberal arts university in Montgomery, though, insisted on Friday that Brown is not an incoming student-athlete and said: "This young man was never headed to our university at all this fall."

Criminal defense lawyer Tommy Spina is not connected to the case but he explained reckless murder is a very serious charge. Because a gun was used in the crimes, if convicted, the defendants face 20 years in prison to life which is the same sentencing range as intentional murder, according to Spina.

"If people act in concert with one another, it's in effect a partnership in crime," Spina said. "You would be responsible for the acts of your co-conspirators... if those acts were reasonably foreseeable."

There are also questions about if the trail will be moved out of Dadeville due to all the pre-trial publicity in the small town.

"It's not about whether you heard about the case. It's about whether you can be fair and judge the case based on the evidence that comes from the witness stand and not because you have some preconceived notion of guilt or innocent," remarked Spina.

He tells us the defendants could be tried together or separately. Prosecutors generally favor trying defendants at once while defense attorneys push for separate trials. He explains if one defendant is more culpable in the crime you would not want that evidence to apply to another defendant.

Still no motive announced. 7 guns confiscated, 89 shell casings, blood everywhere.

Also in the above article …

Willie Brown Jr. is also a suspect in an Auburn shooting, according to Thornton. Some spent rounds recovered in Dadeville matched casings found at a shooting that occurred later that night in Auburn.

One of the co-defendants, who was not identified in testimony, was wearing an ankle monitor while on bond for his alleged role in a Tuskegee shooting, Thornton said. The GPS tracker on the ankle monitor placed him at the Dadeville scene, the agent testified.

Fentanyl and droperidol are components of neuroleptanalgesia. What they do is suppress respiration; after they are injected, the breathing stops and actually, there is that little time to intubate; if intubation is done wrong or technically difficult, the patient may die on the operating table. But these drugs save millions of lives, by making surgery possible. I think it is simply bad karma if something so incredibly helpful is used to execute. Cartel members sell fentanyl on the streets and cause deaths, but we, the society, can not mold our lives from the cartels. JMO.

And now number 5, Willie George Brown, Jr, age 19. Unknown if he is related to Johnny brown arrested earlier today.

Cousins, according to the yahoo article posted above.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back