Found Deceased AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip>

ADMIN WARNING

Another massive, time-consuming cleanup has been necessary in this thread.

ALL members, both new and veteran members, are required to familiarize themselves with The Rules and post in accordance them. (Brand spanking new members get a bit of a break.)

There is now ZERO TOLERANCE for members bringing rumors / hearsay to this thread. Thread reply bans and/or full board TOs will be issued without Warning.

If you see a rumor post or response that has been overlooked in the cleanup, please do not respond to it but Report it immediately and we will get to it as soon as possible.

Thread is open again.

Last edited by a moderator:
The article that was linked said she was seen on video leaving the bar.
There also where 2 linked articles that said friends (plural) saw her leave the bar.

These posts were completely ignored. Why?
Because there have been other links that have said there was nothing useful on video and that two HSBM were not spotted on the video. It says the opposite of the links that say she was seen leaving with them and they have proof the two men existed.

It's terrible the amount of absolute confusion in this case. I encourage all to read this article.

"Police say Houston did not leave the bar alone and that surveillance video appears to show her leaving with two heavy set men. Authorities say that it appears she left willingly.

Our requests for the video and pictures was denied."
There are circumstances where an early statement such as this one may not be as contradictory as it seems with a later statement like (iirc), "police found nothing useful to their investigation after reviewing the footage".

Consider the possibility that the heavy set black males were actually easily identified, interviewed, cooperative with the investigation and had good alibis. All this happened early in the night, they easily could have just taken Paighton to a party from which she left with other people and where they remained with dozens of corroborating witnesses for the rest of the night. Once police established something like that, the surveillance video of her leaving the Tin Roof with them would indeed not contain anything useful and after the amount of suspicion her work friend has endured I wouldn't blame them one but for not publicly identifying witnesses who have been eliminated as suspects.

This is all just my hypothetical speculation but it's one explanation for seemingly conflicting police statements

There are circumstances where an early statement such as this one may not be as contradictory as it seems with a later statement like (iirc), "police found nothing useful to their investigation after reviewing the footage".

Consider the possibility that the heavy set black males were actually easily identified, interviewed, cooperative with the investigation and had good alibis. All this happened early in the night, they easily could have just taken Paighton to a party from which she left with other people and where they remained with dozens of corroborating witnesses for the rest of the night. Once police established something like that, the surveillance video of her leaving the Tin Roof with them would indeed not contain anything useful and after the amount of suspicion her work friend has endured I wouldn't blame them one but for not publicly identifying witnesses who have been eliminated as suspects.

This is all just my hypothetical speculation but it's one explanation for seemingly conflicting police statements

This could be true, a couple of black men could have walked out the same time as her and went their own way too, completely uninvolved. But if any of these theories are true, I just wish LE would say the two men were cleared, because there’s been a lot of horrible speculation on the internet aimed at black men, in general, as a result of the report, and the media continues to report, to this day, repeatedly, she left with two black men, fueling continuing rumor of their guilt.

There are circumstances where an early statement such as this one may not be as contradictory as it seems

The problem I have with the two statements from the two different articles is this, the first clearly states "surveillance video appears to show her leaving with two heavy set men"

While the second clearly states "investigators have reviewed surveillance video from a bar where Paighton Houston was last seen and have not found anyone matching the description of the two men she is believed to have left with."

For me, the former indicates there were two heavy set men actually, in real time, seen on video, where the latter indicates when reviewed, video shows no men "matching the description".

So, either it is

1. faulty reporting on the part of one reporter, or the other.
2. two different video's were reviewed
3. there were two men on one video, seen leaving the bar with PH, but the "description" of the men was inaccurate
4. the two men she was seen leaving the bar with are not the two men she is believed to have left the property with

Possibly she left with two heavy set men, but not the men "described"? MOO

I have contacted the reporters in hopes of clarification.

Last edited:
There have been links now that say:

1. seen leaving the bar with the men described
2. the men described not seen at all, on the videos
3. videos examined and LE found nothing useful

So basically, we really have no idea what was and what was not seen on the surveillance video. Either way, I'm leaning toward the "nothing useful" no matter what they did or didn't see.

I think the far more important thing to consider is the potential DNA on the cloth she was wrapped in, and (potentially) on her body as well. I think when the results of that testing comes in, is when we might see an arrest or announcement of a POI or suspect.

Good morning,

Last night I watched a recent Dateline about the murder of Lisa Ziegler. It was a high profile cold case for 25 years. The killer finally confessed, but what I wanted to mention was this:

Earlier I had said I wish that LE would come forward and clear the co-worker/friends, if they in fact had reason to do so, so that the co-worker could stop receiving unnecessary torment, if she’s not involved.

Well, in Lisa Ziegert’s case, there was a man who was harassed by locals for years because they thought he had something to do with it. He was eventually cleared by DNA. His attorney and family asked LE if they would go public and say he’s not involved in order to stop the rumors and harassment—they said NO because “they never comment on their POIs in these cases”, something along those lines.

So anyway, I learned yesterday from that episode that sometimes LE will NOT come forward and clear someone publicly. I’ve seen in some cases where LE has done this in the past, but apparently some do not.

Another thing, a comment was made that one reason they won’t do this is if something changes during the course of the investigation. I don’t get this bc the DNA didn’t match, but anyway. They very clearly said many times that “LE will not comment on the status of any of our POIs.”

(I highly recommend for those following Abby’s and Libby’s case to watch the episode bc there are so many similarities as far as the investigation goes.

Another thing to note from that episode, o/t, is that Parabon released a sketch, and it took a “year and a half for them to get the report from Parabon”. The sketch did not lead to directly to a suspect, rather the killer confessed under the pressure of LE securing a DNA warrant. He also did not look much like the Parabon sketch, imo.)

Last edited:
This could be true, a couple of black men could have walked out the same time as her and went their own way too, completely uninvolved. But if any of these theories are true, I just wish LE would say the two men were cleared, because there’s been a lot of horrible speculation on the internet aimed at black men, in general, as a result of the report, and the media continues to report, to this day, repeatedly, she left with two black men, fueling continuing rumor of their guilt.
It would be nice if they let the public know they found the two men in question and have cleared them and are continually their investigation. Instead it’s crickets. But once again, LE is not obligated to tell the public anything they don’t want to. Usually the only time they have to is if it’s about public safety, IMO

Good morning,

Last night I watched a recent Dateline about the murder of Lisa Ziegler. It was a cold case for 25 years. The killer finally confessed, but what I wanted to mention was this:

Earlier I had said I wish that LE would come forward and clear the co-worker/friends, if they in fact had reason to do so, so that the co-worker could stop receiving unnecessary torment, if she’s not involved.

Well, in Lisa Ziegert’s case, there was a man who was harassed by locals for years because they thought he had something to do with it. He was eventually cleared by DNA. His attorney and family asked LE if they could go public and say he’s not involved in order to stop the rumors and harassment—they said NO because “they never comment on their POIs these cases”, something along those lines.

So anyway, I learned yesterday from that episode that sometimes LE will NOT come forward and clear someone publicly. I’ve seen in some cases where LE has done this in the past, but apparently some do not.

Another thing, a comment was made that one reason they won’t do this is if something changes during the course of the investigation. I don’t get this bc the DNA didn’t match, but anyway. They very clearly said many times that “LE will not comment on the status of any of our POIs.”

(I highly recommend for those following Abby’s and Libby’s case to watch the episode bc there are so many similarities as far as the investigation goes.

Another thing to note from that episode, o/t, that Parabon released a sketch, it took a “year and a half for them to get the report from Parabon”. The sketch did not lead to directly to a suspect, rather the killer confessed under the pressure of LE securing a DNA warrant. He also did not look much like the Parabon sketch, imo.)
I saw that too and I' glad you posted this! There was a lot of information relevant to the PH case; harassment of innocent person, LE not commenting until case was closed, DNA sketch. They said the most beneficial aspect of the sketch was that it eliminated people that didn't fit the basic characteristics of brown haired, brown eyed Caucasian, which greatly reduced the set of possible POIs to be checked. Unfortunately, the actual murder avoided prosecution for years by simply lying, giving minimal cooperation and not giving DNA.

I saw that too and I' glad you posted this! There was a lot of information relevant to the PH case; harassment of innocent person, LE not commenting until case was closed, DNA sketch. They said the most beneficial aspect of the sketch was that it eliminated people that didn't fit the basic characteristics of brown haired, brown eyed Caucasian, which greatly reduced the set of possible POIs to be checked. Unfortunately, the actual murder avoided prosecution for years by simply lying, giving minimal cooperation and not giving DNA.

Absolutely. Great points. The sketch was valuable for eliminating persons and closing in on the people that had those characteristics and refused to submit a DNA sample.

(ETA: @Van Helsing , I’m wondering what other crimes the perp GS may be related to. Maybe his DNA is sitting in a box on a shelf in another case where the DNA hasn’t been (re)tested, moo. Making a note to pursue this further in her thread. Back on topic....)

Last edited:
Another thing to note from that episode, o/t, is that Parabon released a sketch, and it took a “year and a half for them to get the report from Parabon”. The sketch did not lead to directly to a suspect, rather the killer confessed under the pressure of LE securing a DNA warrant. He also did not look much like the Parabon sketch, imo.)

To me, the DNA based "sketches" almost never look like the actual suspect. Once in a while they surprise me, but most of the time they're dreadfully generic.

Good morning,

Last night I watched a recent Dateline about the murder of Lisa Ziegler.
snip
snip

Oooooh...great info to have. I've guess I've seen LE publicly clear people often enough that I'd almost grown to expect it. Sounds like if you actually are cleared publicly, you're simply lucky. Will adjust my expectations of LE, pronto!

It's just so sad all around. I really would like to know what happened, but also realize we may never know. The police are under no obligation to give us all the details.
That's true. As far as I can tell the case has not been upgraded from "death investigation." Hope we don't have to wait until autopsy and toxicology complete. Obviously, P didn't bury herself....

ADMIN WARNING

Another massive, time-consuming cleanup has been necessary in this thread.

ALL members, both new and veteran members, are required to familiarize themselves with The Rules and post in accordance them. (Brand spanking new members get a bit of a break.)

There is now ZERO TOLERANCE for members bringing rumors / hearsay to this thread. Thread reply bans and/or full board TOs will be issued without Warning.

If you see a rumor post or response that has been overlooked in the cleanup, please do not respond to it but Report it immediately and we will get to it as soon as possible.

Thread is open again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member