AL - Shanieka, 11, Latricia, 9, & Christopher Ward, 8, starved to death, Jan 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
MistyGirl said:
Jeana - I agree that is what is the saddest part of this all....they had no family or teachers or neighbors that saw what was going on right under their noses to help these children. That breaks my heart. I can tell you my mother came over once and my daughter had dirty socks on and I got a lecture from my mother that you would not beleive....LOL don't mess with her grand-daughter. It make me sad to think that there was not one G-Parent, Father, Aunt or Uncle that could not have helped these poor children. What a sad, lonely scary and short life they must have lived so unfair.

Misty

I agree completely. Teachers have to follow strict guidelines, certainly there were friends, neighbors, family who MUST have known something was wrong. To begin with there was no automobile, the electricity was turned off, etc. Someone KNEW there were serious problems with this family, yet no one checked on those kids. Its beyond sickening.

Jeana (DP) said:
I agree completely. Teachers have to follow strict guidelines, certainly there were friends, neighbors, family who MUST have known something was wrong. To begin with there was no automobile, the electricity was turned off, etc. Someone KNEW there were serious problems with this family, yet no one checked on those kids. Its beyond sickening.

That is my same problem with it, not LE, they aren't mindreaders. The external family knew something and chose to ignore it or not be involved. It is that denial factor raising its ugly head. I get so frustrated with some human behavior sometimes I could scream.

School officials knew these three siblings had not returned to class following winter break. Many were asking Monday, how was the school investigating?

Huntsville city school's spokesman Keith Ward said "this was just to our knowledge a case of absenteeism."

Ward says per procedure after five or six absences from school, calls were made to Natashay Ward. She was also sent a letter. After those unsuccessful attempts, a Huntsville city school employee went for a visit. They couldn't track her down.

They then sent Ward a certified truancy letter. It explained to her she could face criminal charges if her kids weren't back in school. School officials say the case was about to be turned over the D.A.'s office when the kids were found dead.

School officials say they had no reason to suspect the ward children were starving. Neither did D.H.R. They tell us none of their workers had ever been dispatched to this address.
- http://www.waff.com/Global/story.asp?S=2913371

Grandmother speaks out:

Today, the grandmother talked to WAFF 48 News. She says her daughter is no child killer.

Natashay Ward's family is standing behind her and they're also asking for your help. Memorials to Latrika, Christopher and Shanika Ward are piling up at their home and school. Their grandmother Loise can't believe they're gone.

"They was doing good during December and the first of the year," she said.

Loise's own daughter is accused of killing the kids. Police believe Natashay Ward starved them.

"They was some friendly children's and she raised those kids real good and in my feeling and my heart and mind I know Natashay didn't do nothing like that," Loise said.

Loise said she saw the children just a few weeks ago.

"They was good, they was fine, wasn't nothing wrong with them. I don't really know and I don't have comments on that part," Loise said.--->>

"I just want people to stop spreading gossip about Natashay. Because what they're spreading out is gossip," she said.

Natashay grew up in Huntsville. Her mom believes Natashay will be cleared of any crime.

"Natashay was the best. She was the daughter I could always ask for favors do anything, she would do it. She was never sad as a child she was a quiet child," Loise said.--->>

http://www.waff.com/Global/story.asp?S=2913025

Correction by AP:

Correction: Children Slain Story
Associated Press

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - In a Feb. 5 story about a mother charged with killing her three children, The Associated Press, relying on information from a police spokesman, erroneously named the agency that attempted to visit the family in December. A representative of the city school system, not the Alabama Department of Human Resources, was turned away by the mother, the spokesman, Wendell Johnson, said Sunday.

LovelyPigeon said:
Grandmother speaks out:

Today, the grandmother talked to WAFF 48 News. She says her daughter is no child killer.

Natashay Ward's family is standing behind her and they're also asking for your help. Memorials to Latrika, Christopher and Shanika Ward are piling up at their home and school. Their grandmother Loise can't believe they're gone.

"They was doing good during December and the first of the year," she said.

Loise's own daughter is accused of killing the kids. Police believe Natashay Ward starved them.

"They was some friendly children's and she raised those kids real good and in my feeling and my heart and mind I know Natashay didn't do nothing like that," Loise said.

Loise said she saw the children just a few weeks ago.

"They was good, they was fine, wasn't nothing wrong with them. I don't really know and I don't have comments on that part," Loise said.--->>

"I just want people to stop spreading gossip about Natashay. Because what they're spreading out is gossip," she said.

Natashay grew up in Huntsville. Her mom believes Natashay will be cleared of any crime.

"Natashay was the best. She was the daughter I could always ask for favors do anything, she would do it. She was never sad as a child she was a quiet child," Loise said.--->>

http://www.waff.com/Global/story.asp?S=2913025

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: So?????? Somone else starved her three children to death over a period of weeks? :confused: :confused:

Jeana (DP) said:
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: So?????? Somone else starved her three children to death over a period of weeks? :confused: :confused:
Yeah no kidding I mean come on Grandma stand up for your 3 grandchldren. I know the "boogie man" came in and did it. (sorry to be so sarcastic but it just makes my blood boil)

MistyGirl said:
Yeah no kidding I mean come on Grandma stand up for your 3 grandchldren. I know the "boogie man" came in and did it. (sorry to be so sarcastic but it just makes my blood boil)

HONESTLY!!!!! First of all, the BEOTCH confessed to it!!! Surely Grandma ain't calling her perfect baby girl a liar, now is she????? :bang: :bang: :bang:

LovelyPigeon said:
School officials knew these three siblings had not returned to class following winter break. Many were asking Monday, how was the school investigating?

Huntsville city school's spokesman Keith Ward said "this was just to our knowledge a case of absenteeism."

Ward says per procedure after five or six absences from school, calls were made to Natashay Ward. She was also sent a letter. After those unsuccessful attempts, a Huntsville city school employee went for a visit. They couldn't track her down.

They then sent Ward a certified truancy letter. It explained to her she could face criminal charges if her kids weren't back in school. School officials say the case was about to be turned over the D.A.'s office when the kids were found dead.

School officials say they had no reason to suspect the ward children were starving. Neither did D.H.R. They tell us none of their workers had ever been dispatched to this address. - http://www.waff.com/Global/story.asp?S=2913371
It seems to me that the steps on how to handle when a child or children especially 3 children all from the same family are missing from school action should be taken sooner not later. You hate to think that a parent can harm their own child or children but the sad truth of the matter it happens EVERYDAY in this country and else wear and if we choose to turn a blind eye to it....who will help protect these sweet little children that did not ask to be given life????

Jeana (DP) said:
HONESTLY!!!!! First of all, the BEOTCH confessed to it!!! Surely Grandma ain't calling her perfect baby girl a liar, now is she????? :bang: :bang: :bang:
Grandma sais she had tot seen them in a few weeks and if Grandma admits that she thought something was wrong.... well then she should have stepped in so of course she will say everything seemed fine.... "I just saw them a few weeks ago."

Ok now I assuming here but if they lived in the same town/city etc wouldn't Grandma see her grandchildren on a more regular basis??? My Mother and I live in the same town/city and if Grandma doesn't see her Granddaughter once a week well...then she has a melt down....LOL. I know all family dynamics are very different I am just thinking out loud. This case was on my mind all night last night at home and when I fell asleep and the minute I woke up this morning.:furious: :banghead: :mad:

MistyGirl said:
Grandma sais she had tot seen them in a few weeks and if Grandma admits that she thought something was wrong.... well then she should have stepped in so of course she will say everything seemed fine.... "I just saw them a few weeks ago."

How long does this ignoramus think it takes to starve three children???? Longer than a few weeks???????

The children's father talks to the media:

Feb. 8, 2005 4:04 p.m.

WAFF 48 News talks to the father of the three dead Ward children. He said the situation is just as baffling to him as everyone else.

The children were dead in their mom's apartment for more than a week. Tonight, a father reacts to those deaths and the girlfriend who allegedly confessed to starving them.

Clutching his phone and surrounded by family, Michael Kelley tries to make sense of it all. He's the father of Latricia, Shanieka and Christopher Ward. People have dropped by his house all week. They've signed a condolence book. Michael said he has questions for the mother of his children

"I mean I ain't gone get on TV and talk bad about her," Kelley said.
--->> http://www.waff.com/Global/story.asp?S=2919309&nav=0hBEW88T

February 8, 2005

Steve Johnson Reports:

The Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences issued a preliminary autopsy report Monday night. The three children found in a Huntsville apartment Friday died of starvation and dehydration. That corroborates the statement of the children's mother, Natashay Ward, to Huntsville Police. Ward said she starved the children, and she was charged with capital murder.

Defense attorney Mark McDaniel says it might appear that the case against Ward is almost open and shut, but that's not a correct assessment.

"It's far from that. The defense in this case will be insanity. I'm just about sure of that, and when that's the defense, then the defense has the burden of proof. They've got to prove by clear and convincing evidence, that number one, she did not understand the nature of her act, and that she had a sure mental defect. Two requirements that the defense will have to show," says McDaniel.
--->>

http://www.whnt19.com/Global/story.asp?S=2914648&nav=1VPtW5mv

The toxocology reports might take a year?!

"If there are cases where the cause of death are not overtly obvious from physical findings other things must be done," said Rodger Morrison, Forensic Scientist Laboratory Director.

Things like toxicology, histology, even DNA reports at times are needed to pinpoint exactly how someone died.

"Currently in our state that toxicology report, average turnaround time is 12-14 months," said Morrison.
- http://www.waff.com/Global/story.asp?S=2914503

Jeana (DP) said:
How long does this ignoramus think it takes to starve three children???? Longer than a few weeks???????

Thats a bingo. She is just as much to blame. We are looking at denial one more time.

I really doubt that the grandmother will be held "just as much to blame" by the law.

She did try to visit and was turned away. She had no reason to think such a horrible thing was going to happen.

We don't know of any previous behaviors by Natashay Ward that would make anyone, family included, suspicious that she would harm or kill her children.

This article has some graphic information about the starvation process.

Kids had been dead a weekTuesday, February 08, 2005
By WENDY REEVESand STEVE DOYLE
Times Staff Writers wendyr@htimes.comsteved@htimes.com
Nathshay Ward lived in the same apartment with her dead children more than a week before their bodies were found Friday.

Autopsies showed Christopher Ward, 8; Latrica Ward, 9; and Shanieka Ward, 11, may have been dead a week to 10 days, said Huntsville police Sgt. Ed Cain, supervisor of the department's Major Crimes Unit. --->>

Madkin said living in a cold, dark apartment - the electricity had been off more than three weeks when the bodies were found - would have sped up the starvation process for the children.
--->>

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/news/110785776342271.xml

Anyone who lives with dead bodies is mentally unbalanced or crazy IMO.

No electricity for weeks, and maybe no water, either. What a horrible existence for those children and mother those last weeks before death.

LovelyPigeon said:
I really doubt that the grandmother will be held "just as much to blame" by the law.

She did try to visit and was turned away. She had no reason to think such a horrible thing was going to happen.

We don't know of any previous behaviors by Natashay Ward that would make anyone, family included, suspicious that she would harm or kill her children.

I agree that the grandmother isn't responsible. What about the father? He certainly could have gotten inside that apartment. Where was he for WEEKS?????

i have a ten year old daughter, and a six year old son. I can't even imagine their response if I refused to feed them even /one/ meal. Even those boys who were found starving a few years ago, were still /alive/. This just sounds as if it happened so fast. I wouldn't be surprised if along with the starving there wasn't some sort of poison involved, something. I forget how long I read one can go without food as long as they have water, but I was under the impression it was at least a month...I could be wrong of course.

Also, looking at the picture of the mother, she looked like she hadn't missed many meals....which put the image in my head of her EATING in front of these poor children.

But regardless, I am sure that along with the obvious financial difficulties, and the fact that she stayed with the children a week after they died, she's going to plead insane....just a feeling.

I am so sick of these parents & people claiming they are INSANE or not MENTALY STABLE and getting away with these crimes. That is complete BS. This woman should receive the death penalty if it is available in that state and if not life in prison. She does not deserve to be put in a mental hospital and receive treatment.....why so you can rehabilitate her and let her out. I SURE HOPE NOT. Every person in this world could claim after doing a crime..."but wait I was insane". Her children were 11, 9, & 8. So for 11 years she was not insane and raised her children and had not murder them yet....but oh wait she wakes up one morning "insane" let’s try irresponsible, selfish and starts to slowly starve her children to death. I think the insanity defense is biggest crock of *advertiser censored* there is. You do the crime and then you suffer the consequences whether it is life or prison or death.

This is pretty weird. Kids don't return to school on Jan 2. Electric was shut off Jan 12. She was being evicted. Family took up a collection to have electric turned back on. She refused to admit school officals and family members to the home since Jan. She admitted to deliberately starving the kids to death. Yet it appears the kids were healthy and happy prior to that. At least no one spoke up about any previous problems. It takes several weeks to die from starvation and the kids wouldn't have died all at once, it would have been one at a time. They were all found on the floor. At 11, 9, and 8 they would have recognised if their mother was sick. There was no mention of the children being locked in, so they could have gone for help. I hope more comes out about this, because I think there is a lot more going on.
I find it hard to deny my kids things they want but don't need. It is imcomprehensible to me to deny them food or other necessities. It sounds to me like there was a major mental problem at work here with the mother. And the other family members probably thought they had more time to work with her to get her some help without getting her in trouble. Unfortunately they were wrong. The father was in the parking lot when the police came- where was he when the kids were being starved and needed him?
Those poor defenseless kids. It was a hard way to go.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCSouthtrust
Back