Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
EXACTLY. When I heard that both victims were only 2 feet away when shot, that makes it even more shocking that AB was waving the gun around and pointing it at them in such a close range. Even if he thought it was just dummies it still could have been really dangerous.

So AB was 2 feet, 24 inches away from the young lady he killed, who was not even an actor in the movie. Why would he even be pointing his gun at this young lady? She wasn't an actor in his movie. I mean he couldn't use the excuse that they were rehearsing. How so very sad for her family.

So AB was 2 feet, 24 inches away from the young lady he killed, who was not even an actor in the movie. Why would he even be pointing his gun at this young lady? She wasn't an actor in his movie. I mean he couldn't use the excuse that they were rehearsing. How so very sad for her family.
She was next to the camera. He was supposed to point at the camera.

Dummies are not dangerous. They are inert. They don't fire anything, they don't make noise. They are basically a decorative item resembling a real ammo.
But even then, her job is to prevent fire arm accidents. If she had followed protocol and been present on set when AB was using the weapon, she should have done one more check of the ammo to make sure they were all dummies.

Dummies are not dangerous. They are inert. They don't fire anything, they don't make noise. They are basically a decorative item resembling a real ammo.
But even then, her job is to prevent fire arm accidents. If she had followed protocol and been present on set when AB was using the weapon, she should have done one more check of the ammo to make sure they were all dummies.
The Actor's Equity rule is that when pointing the gun at a camera, the camera operator is supposed to step away from the camera and watch it remotely to see the shot.

Because he was pretending for the scene in which the camera would be shooting down the barrel of the gun. Unfortunately he forgot the rule that actors are never to aim their gun at people, they are supposed to offset their aim.

So according to AB, his resume states he has quite a bit of accomplishments, “right at my fingertips,” including gun play. He sounds very arrogant. I am thinking this was not an accident, but negligence, on AB part. Time will tell who will be held responsible for this tragedy.

Around here, any ammo is scarce and expensive. The present world and US conditions will do that. I have just scanned thru the websites of gun stores in the Santa Fe, NM area and .45 Long Colt ammo is generally unavailable. Where would the crew get ammo and how would they know what to bring if they thought to plan early? Someone had to know the exact caliber of the guns to be able to purchase the correct ammo. Movie actors do not always use the correct gun for their role even if it is a signature part of the production.<modsnip. - no links>

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again, dummies have no projectile AND no powder. They are made so that a person can pull the trigger on a weapon and have something happen (which is that the next dummy round is placed in front of the hammer - no one can be killed by dummies - they are safer than rubber bullets as they do not exit the gun; usually they are just plastic with a metal base so that the hammer doesn't get all plasticky).

And, with the gun I use (not a revolver), literally nothing happens if I have dummies in the magazine. Just a click.

Blanks are a hole 'nuther matter.

If what DH and HGR thought they should use was blanks, at that close range - both of them are criminally inept, but then the question becomes "If the people we hire to do a service for us, do not do it....are we then completely absolved of all further responsibility in an action?"

I am arguing that no, we are still responsible for our own actions (all of us). If we are going to rely on experts - say, like a brain surgeon - I personally want that person to be licensed, chartered by an excellent hospital, well liked and well known by others in their field, etc, etc. Board certified, preferably a good residency at a strong university hospital.

Not someone I find by searching on google maps (how did these people get hired in the first place, is my question now...)

Because blanks at 2 feet can definitely do some major harm to someone - and the biggest risk is blinding from the gaseous matter that explodes from the weapon, with a blank.

Dummies do not have primer, they do not have a wad that goes through the barrel, they are inert. Only two ways to ensure an operable gun doesn't kill someone up close, and dummies are the second best option.

Empty is the best option. Plenty of ways to quickly add flash and smoke in post-production.

So...that's what should have been in the gun and IIRC, HGR is sticking to the story that she put 6 dummies in that gun. Only LE/FBI know what the other rounds are (unless there was evidence tampering). DH said there were 2 of something still in the gun - but of what? Live? Blanks? Armorer said she put dummies IIRC. Which would have been the right thing to do - except apparently either someone removed one or she didn't count right (both are possible). She just start sticking in dummies until there were no more open holes, not realizing there was already a live round in (so she thought she put six dummies but only put five).

Last edited:
Around here, any ammo is scarce and expensive. The present world and US conditions will do that. I have just scanned thru the websites of gun stores in the Santa Fe, NM area and .45 Long Colt ammo is generally unavailable. Where would the crew get ammo and how would they know what to bring if they thought to plan early? Someone had to know the exact caliber of the guns to be able to purchase the correct ammo. Movie actors do not always use the correct gun for their role even if it is a signature part of the production.<modsnip>

I wish I could like your posts more than once, but that's against the rules. I love movie lore and of my top 10 movies, two are Westerns. The ammo shortage is very real - not much in AZ, NV, CA, OR or WA either. Not on the shelves, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question. Does AB own guns? Or, does he ever go shooting for “fun” or other reasons? We know he isn’t unfamiliar with guns and by his own admission, experienced with guns. I am wondering what extent outside of movies or in preparation for movies he has had.

I have a question. Does AB own guns? Or, does he ever go shooting for “fun” or other reasons? We know he isn’t unfamiliar with guns and by his own admission, experienced with guns. I am wondering what extent outside of movies or in preparation for movies he has had.
He is pro gun control. Somehow I doubt he is a gun nut.

Well the ammo is ordered for the movie with other props, I assume. There is no need for crew to bring it.

Not the OP, but someone

knew that this firearm was on-set
knew what rounds fit this firearm
and knew where to purchase those rounds

That's quite a knowledge base.

BTW Academy Sports NE, just over a half hour south in Albuquerque shows .45 rounds in stock. Don't know if these are suitable for this revolver. (Wonder if CCTV was checked?)

Big 5, well, imho their website needs an upgrade, might or might not have .45 in stock in Santa Fe or ALB.

Didn't try Wal-Mart's website, 2 locations in Santa Fe, but seriously it would be easier to run to ALB unless you needed something else.

Now one may need a New Mexico driver's license to purchase these, last time I bought ammo in NM I had a New Mexico license.

Remember that ammunition isn't handled in the mail -- the PO asks you every time you mail a package, remember?

Redundantly, someone knew that revolver, and had that round.

Does that sound like a professional armorer's knowledge???

jmho ymmv lrr

Not the OP, but someone

knew that this firearm was on-set
knew what rounds fit this firearm
and knew where to purchase those rounds

That's quite a knowledge base.

BTW Academy Sports NE, just over a half hour south in Albuquerque shows .45 rounds in stock. Don't know if these are suitable for this revolver. (Wonder if CCTV was checked?)

Big 5, well, imho their website needs an upgrade, might or might not have .45 in stock in Santa Fe or ALB.

Didn't try Wal-Mart's website, 2 locations in Santa Fe, but seriously it would be easier to run to ALB unless you needed something else.

Now one may need a New Mexico driver's license to purchase these, last time I bought ammo in NM I had a New Mexico license.

Remember that ammunition isn't handled in the mail -- the PO asks you every time you mail a package, remember?

Redundantly, someone knew that revolver, and had that round.

Does that sound like a professional armorer's knowledge???

jmho ymmv lrr

Much of the crew was from NM and likely many of them are gun owners with that caliber ammo on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnjackson971@