Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I work on true crime shows and I regularly file FOIAs in all different states and jurisdictions. Releasing all of this before the investigation is over is so irresponsible and inappropriate. That video of her being worked on by medics in the link above should NEVER have been released to the public. There is no reason for this.

@mickey2942 bbm rbm
Was ^ sentence supposed to say State of New Mexico?

If your keyboard is like the one on my tablet, it sometimes goes rogue:eek: and makes unauthorized substitutions like that. ;):D

Wait, is New Mexico a state?! No, sorry. I had them mixed up! Thanks.

But the question, still there...it looks like there is a longer statute of limitations if you are not a citizen of New Mexico. Interesting.

Ms Gutierrez-Reed denied bringing live ammunition onto the set. Previous messages sent during an earlier shoot speak to her apparent willingness to use them.

While working on the film The Old way, she sent weapons provider Seth Kenney messages asking if she could “shoot hot rounds out of the trap door”, according to the report.

“Wtf is a hot round?” Mr Kenney responds, to which Ms Gutierrez-Reed said: “Like a pretty big load of actual ammunition.”
The report says that Mr Kenney advised her to “never shoot live ammo out of TV or movie guns, and to only use blanks”.

“It’s a serious mistake, always ends in tears,” he said.

“Good to know, I’m still gonna shoot mine tho,” Ms Gutierrez-Reed replied.

IMO, as the Armorer, Hannah holds the most responsibility. All the guns should have been under her control. If she wasn’t around, they should have been locked in a safe. Someone put a live round into that gun. If it wasn’t her, how did anyone else get access to the gun?

Early on, it was suggested that some of the crew might have been using the guns during a lunch break, or at some point when the church scene wasn’t being filmed. Someone put that live round into the chamber. If she had control of that gun at all times, it would have been her.

This quote of hers, (‘I’m still gonna shoot mine tho.’) from a previous movie, suggests that she doesn’t follow safety procedures. I’m guessing that she put that live round in to shoot during a break and completely forgot it was in there. She never re-checked before hading it off to Halls and called it ‘cold’. He should also have checked, (according to safety procedures) but neglected to. I don’t think it was Baldwin’s responsibility to check. If I were him, I would have checked anyway, because as a rule I don’t trust anybody. People these days are so lazy and incompetent that you can’t even trust personnel at a doctor’s office to write down your appointment correctly.

I hope any trials will be held here in Santa Fe (rather than Albuquerque like some seem to be) so I can attend and report here to Websleuths.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/rust-...n-newly-released-texts-she-got-someone-killed

IMO, as the Armorer, Hannah holds the most responsibility. All the guns should have been under her control. If she wasn’t around, they should have been locked in a safe. Someone put a live round into that gun. If it wasn’t her, how did anyone else get access to the gun?

Early on, it was suggested that some of the crew might have been using the guns during a lunch break, or at some point when the church scene wasn’t being filmed. Someone put that live round into the chamber. If she had control of that gun at all times, it would have been her.

This quote of hers, (‘I’m still gonna shoot mine tho.’) from a previous movie, suggests that she doesn’t follow safety procedures. I’m guessing that she put that live round in to shoot during a break and completely forgot it was in there. She never re-checked before hading it off to Halls and called it ‘cold’. He should also have checked, (according to safety procedures) but neglected to. I don’t think it was Baldwin’s responsibility to check. If I were him, I would have checked anyway, because as a rule I don’t trust anybody. People these days are so lazy and incompetent that you can’t even trust personnel at a doctor’s office to write down your appointment correctly.

I hope any trials will be held here in Santa Fe (rather than Albuquerque like some seem to be) so I can attend and report here to Websleuths.
I have to agree. I'm not sure why so many seem to jump all over 'celebrities' with such venom when they're involved in a horrible event, even when it seems they weren't the ones at fault. To me, on a much different scale, it's kinda akin to:.. I let my dogs out my door into my completely fenced back yard in the morning, as per usual.. and I go make coffee or whatever.. a few minutes pass and I realize I don't hear them or see them at the door.. so I go to look, and can't see them. They've all escaped the yard..and they're running loose in the street, like idiots, with zero street smarts.. why? Because someone in my own household was negligent in shutting the gate behind them when they entered the yard via the gate the night before. So why would I be blamed? I would feel guilty as heck if something happened to any of them, I would never be 'right' again. Should I have to go out into my yard to check to make sure my gate is shut every morning before letting my dogs out for their morning piddles? Should I have to put a padlock on the gate and make it extremely inconvenient for everyone else coming in and out of the yard that way, forever more? Can anyone take responsibility for their own actions? Who loaded the gun? Who even had live bullets on site? To me, HGR is responsible, unless of course it IS established that some rogue person got hold of the set, the gun, and sabotaged things, even though she may not have any money to pay out in a lawsuit. Seeing as how women are rare in her line of work, she should've looked upon it more responsibly if she cared about her career, reputation, etc. imo.

I just had an interesting conversation with a professional movie camera operator. He said the following about responsible directors. Needless to say, not much of the following occurred at Rust:

- The armorer checks and prepares weapons. They are then rechecked by the actor. If the actor is not familiar with weapons, they are assigned a “shooting partner” (another actor familiar with weapons), or….. a range officer re-checks it.

- Each shooting actor is supported by up to four weapons (rubber, blank, hi end airsoft, dummy / live). Once a weapon is assigned a category, it never moved from one category to another. Ie. The blank gun stays the blank gun. It is never loaded with dummy or live ammo etc.

- All weapons have colored markings by category on them that are invisible to the camera, but visible to everyone on the set.

- Not even blank guns are pointed at people. Rubber guns can be and airsoft can be. Movie magic then merges the blank gun firing into the airsoft gun firing.

- Complicated shooting scenes take a long time to shoot due to the cycle of gun switches. Every switch (even switches to rubber guns) is then performed by the armorer and re- checked by the actor / shooting partner / range officer.

- Actor is unsure about what category of weapon they have, confused about new instructions from the director? No problem, they immediately place their weapon on a ‘safety table’. Weapon is then re-issued by the armorer, re checked and instructions re stated.

- Live ammo is placed in a live ammo gun only that is color marked accordingly. Use of live ammo is clear to all on the set. Armorer issues one round at a time only and collects either live round back or spent cartridge back immediately. There should never be multiple live rounds a weapon.

- Movie calls for unusual weapons? Say, German WWII luger with quirky features? No problem. An additional expert armorer is then hired for those weapons only.

- People using set guns to target shoot with live ammo after hours? Absolutely no &^* way!! People screwing around with say, set rubber guns or airsoft guns in between scenes? No way!

- Actors and support staff buying beer or drinks off the food truck during down time in between scenes? No problem- just better not be handling weapons in any capacity.

Last edited:
I have to agree. I'm not sure why so many seem to jump all over 'celebrities' with such venom when they're involved in a horrible event, even when it seems they weren't the ones at fault. To me, on a much different scale, it's kinda akin to:.. I let my dogs out my door into my completely fenced back yard in the morning, as per usual.. and I go make coffee or whatever.. a few minutes pass and I realize I don't hear them or see them at the door.. so I go to look, and can't see them. They've all escaped the yard..and they're running loose in the street, like idiots, with zero street smarts.. why? Because someone in my own household was negligent in shutting the gate behind them when they entered the yard via the gate the night before. So why would I be blamed? I would feel guilty as heck if something happened to any of them, I would never be 'right' again. Should I have to go out into my yard to check to make sure my gate is shut every morning before letting my dogs out for their morning piddles? Should I have to put a padlock on the gate and make it extremely inconvenient for everyone else coming in and out of the yard that way, forever more? Can anyone take responsibility for their own actions? Who loaded the gun? Who even had live bullets on site? To me, HGR is responsible, unless of course it IS established that some rogue person got hold of the set, the gun, and sabotaged things, even though she may not have any money to pay out in a lawsuit. Seeing as how women are rare in her line of work, she should've looked upon it more responsibly if she cared about her career, reputation, etc. imo.
To be fair, comparing your dogs getting out with a potentially fatal accident is not a great analogy.

Anybody with weapons training (which AB had many times) knows several things:

1. Don't point a gun at another person
2. Always check to know if the gun is loaded
3. The person holding the gun is a the absolute last line of defense to prevent harm to anyone

So I disagree that all the blame lies on HGR. I think Baldwin needs to be held accountable for his negligence.

He goes on to insist that the gun they had been using before was 'cold'.

'Right before you shoot. I went to lunch.

'She disarmed me - Hannah - she always handled the

The bullet went through Souza's arm first and then struck Hutchins. He recovered with an injury, but Hutchins died in the hospital.
I work on true crime shows and I regularly file FOIAs in all different states and jurisdictions. Releasing all of this before the investigation is over is so irresponsible and inappropriate. That video of her being worked on by medics in the link above should NEVER have been released to the public. There is no reason for this.
Agree!
This should have the guilty feet held to the fire. Insane that they published this.

MOO

He goes on to insist that the gun they had been using before was 'cold'.
According to the movie camera operator I just met, if the director is following safety rules and the scene called for the weapon to be pointed at a person, a "cold gun" could only be:

1.) A rubber gun (still treated as a weapon in regards to armorer issuance, re-checking)
2.) A high end airsoft gun (also treated as a weapon)

Blanks guns are fired at movie magic mirrors and cannot be pointed at people. Live round / dummy guns cannot be used as blank guns. Rather, they are separate issue and color marked (invisible to the camera, visible to people) as a live round / dummy gun.

To be fair, comparing your dogs getting out with a potentially fatal accident is not a great analogy.

Anybody with weapons training (which AB had many times) knows several things:

1. Don't point a gun at another person
2. Always check to know if the gun is loaded
3. The person holding the gun is a the absolute last line of defense to prevent harm to anyone

So I disagree that all the blame lies on HGR. I think Baldwin needs to be held accountable for his negligence.
I agree with your description of the 'last line of defense.'

As an example, my pharmacist is responsible for giving us the correct medications prescribed by our Drs.

Last week I picked up my hubby's blood pressure meds. When I got home I saw that they were very different looking than his last several bottles. Instead of being oval and white, they were circular and light blue.

I went back to the pharmacy and asked why they looked so different. Turns out they were 50 mg instead of 5 mg...:eek::eek::eek:

His usual dosage is 5 mg----for some inexplicable reason the order sent from the drs office said 50 mg----I still have no idea why.

Point being, I WAS THE LAST LINE OF DEFENSE. Much like AB, I had the responsibility to look at what I was given by the pharmacist before giving it to my husband. AND MY HUSBAND WOULD HAVE HAD TO LOOK FOR HIMSELF TOO.

That^^^ is how I see AB and the AD. He, AB, was the one who had the weapon in his hands and his finger on the trigger and was the one who pointed the gun at the crew. So it was up to him to make certain that gun was cleared. If he had watched the AD or the Armorer do so himself, then he would have done his part to keep things safe.

But the AD ignored his responsibility to check it out and the actor ignored his, which ended in a tragic death.

Wait, is New Mexico a state?! No, sorry. I had them mixed up! Thanks.

But the question, still there...it looks like there is a longer statute of limitations if you are not a citizen of New Mexico. Interesting.

@mickey2942 , @Cracka*Jaxx and I expect this sort of thing. The state tourism magazine has a popular feature entitled One Of Our Fifty is Missing, all stories about New Mexico being considered an international destination:

New Mexico is a State?

Looking forward to your commentary, @Cracka*Jaxx!

jmho ymmv lrr

Last week I picked up my hubby's blood pressure meds. When I got home I saw that they were very different looking than his last several bottles. Instead of being oval and white, they were circular and light blue.

I went back to the pharmacy and asked why they looked so different. Turns out they were 50 mg instead of 5 mg...:eek::eek::eek:

His usual dosage is 5 mg----for some inexplicable reason the order sent from the drs office said 50 mg----I still have no idea why.
I hope your hubby appreciates the gem of a wife he has :)

One more interesting tidbit from the movie camera operator.....

Weapon set on a hair trigger? Not very likely. Directors prefer weapons to be adjusted for artificially long / hard trigger pulls (9 pounds usually).

This is done to enhance realism by putting strain in the face of the actor / actress, camera clearly shows full trigger pull, arm muscles and hand muscles are rigid and clearly in use etc. etc.

Likewise, artificially long trigger pulls add realism to scenes where the character is not experienced with weapons- but using one in say an emergency as the long trigger pull makes the actor appear to hesitate slightly before firing.

Reportedly, it was the AD who handed him the gun.
As a side note....

According to my insider source, the only person handing a weapon to anybody should be the armorer. The actor then re-checks it.

If the actor is not familiar with weapons, does not want the responsibility, or is opposed to handling weapons any more than absolutely needed, the weapon is re- checked by his / her "shooting partner" (experienced actor) or somebody functioning as a range officer.

And, well run sets have a 'safety table' on the set where an actor / actress can place a weapon if they have any doubt what the weapon is loaded with and how they are to use it. A rubber gun is still a weapon for set purposes.

The weapon is then re-issued by the armorer, re-re checked by somebody, and instructions clarified.

Last edited:
And one more tidbit from the insider.....

The chain of responsibility for safe weapons handling starts with the armorer, then goes up to the director, and then to the producer.

In this case, the producer was, well, AB.

I may be getting my 'stories' mixed up, but at one point I recall HGR saying that she was not notified of the rehearsal/practice. That this was an impromptu rehearsal of the scene,which was quickly and hastily arranged. ( To save time and $$$? ) Therefore, the safety measures usually performed were not done. If she was not notified of a scene shoot/ rehearsal/practice with a gun, who is at fault?
Arrrrgggghhh! This just goes around and around!

I may be getting my 'stories' mixed up, but at one point I recall HGR saying that she was not notified of the rehearsal/practice. That this was an impromptu rehearsal of the scene,which was quickly and hastily arranged. ( To save time and $$$? ) Therefore, the safety measures usually performed were not done. If she was not notified of a scene shoot/ rehearsal/practice with a gun, who is at fault?
Arrrrgggghhh! This just goes around and around!

Which, makes me wonder if she was using that gun, after work hours, shooting it...or if other people used the gun, with real bullets.

I would be interested in the level of alcohol use on the set too. Anyone can argue with me on this, but folks who come to work with hangovers, it is as bad as coming to work drunk. They make mistakes.

Or Marijuana use? Hmmm...lots of new questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper