Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alec Baldwin hired private investigator after 'Rust' shooting, doesn't think he'll be criminally charged​

"I hired a private investigator," Baldwin told CNN, later adding that the last 10 months have "taken years off my life."

Based on the findings of Baldwin's private investigator, he doesn't believe anyone will be criminally charged. Santa Fe County prosecutors have not indicated which way their investigation is leaning.

Baldwin went on to reveal that he's lost five jobs in less than a year because of the accident.

"I got fired from another job yesterday," he said. "There I was all set to go to a movie, jump on a plane ... I've been talking with these guys for months and they told me yesterday we don't want to do the film with you because of this."

The actor reiterated to CNN that there are two people responsible for Halyna's death: assistant director Dave Halls, who handed him the gun and declared it "cold" meaning it had no live ammo, and Hannah Gutierrez Reed, who served as the armorer and props assistant on the film.

"Why didn't [Gutierrez Reed] check that bullet? Why didn't Halls obey her?" Baldwin asked. "Why did he give me the gun? Why didn't he check? Why did he tell the crew [it was a cold gun]?"

"I'm pretty confident neither one of them should ever work in a film set again," Baldwin said. "I sincerely believe ... [investigators are] going to say that this was an accident. It's tragic."

The actor noted that he does not want to "condemn" Gutierrez Reed.

"I mean maybe it's the Catholic in me," Baldwin explained. "I have an impulse to say, I don't want to see anybody suffer. I don't want to sit there and say you know, go get her and condemn her."

Lawyers for Halls and Gutierrez Reed told the outlet Baldwin is trying to shift blame off of himself.
My goodness… he needs to just be quieter and respectful for Halyna’s memory and family. He is 64 and he has made a lot more money than most of us could ever hope to. IMO he should retire from show business forever.

Ughh! I am really really tired of the self pitying "I'm a victim too" sound track. He's even taking a bit out of Amber H's playbook now, with the " I can't get a ge-obbbb!" "Look what they are doing to meeeeee!!"

For cryin out loud, dude. Own this! It was an accident for sure, but you still have much to learn to be a responsible adult...a responsible human being....and own up to the fact that yes....YOU made some mistakes. And a woman lost her life for it. End rant

Taken years off of HIS life?
The cajones on this one!!???

RIP Halyna

And cucumbers…

It’s gross that he is playing victim when he hasn’t lost his wife and mother of his children. Sure it’s been stressful but it doesn’t compare with the death of a spouse. By all accounts a woman who was a great mother, person and cinematographer.

And cucumbers…

It’s gross that he is playing victim when he hasn’t lost his wife and mother of his children. Sure it’s been stressful but it doesn’t compare with the death of a spouse. By all accounts a woman who was a great mother, person and cinematographer.
Totally. My gosh a woman is dead! He has a huge personality issue to be saying these things IMO. I’d be horrified and grief stricken.
I was really trying to give him grace for a long time and felt badly for him but as @shotgun09 said he needs to own it. As an accident of course but own his mistakes for the accident happening.

Last edited:

Alec Baldwin Feared Trump Supporters Would Kill Him After ‘Rust’ Shooting: I Was ‘1000% Nervous’​

“The former president of the United States said probably shot her on purpose. To me, that was the only time I was worried about what was going to happen,” Baldwin told CNN. “Here was Trump, who instructed people to commit acts of violence, and he was pointing the finger at me and saying I was responsible for the death.”

My question:
Was there a Subway shop nearby, and MAGA hat wearers when you felt this way, Alex?
:eek:
Geez

Also, from the same article, RSBBM:

"Baldwin, the star and producer of the indie Western film, was holding the firearm when it fired during a take and killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins."

Now, according to Variety...and AB of course...he was "just holding the gun" ????????? Because guns just fire themselves ya know... :rolleyes:

‘Rust’ Armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed Says …
Thu, August 18, 2022, 8:00 PM

View attachment 360581

‘Rust’ Armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed Says Santa Fe Sheriff’s Indifference to DNA Test of Live Rounds ‘Raises a Serious Problem’​

“Rust” armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed said the Santa Fe Sheriff’s indifference to DNA testing the live rounds found on set “raises a serious problem” in a statement released Thursday.

“The primary question in this case from the beginning has been where did the live rounds that ended upon the Rust set come from?” Gutierrez-Reed said in a statement released through her attorney and emailed to TheWrap. “As can be seen from the attached emails, the Sheriff’s office made a conscious decision not to pursue this question at all by refusing to ask the FBI to test any of the rounds for fingerprints or DNA.”

Given that the investigation knows “for certain” there were live rounds on set, Gutierrez-Reed called out the Sheriff’s indifference to testing, saying, “It is inconceivable that the Sheriff would not seek answers to this fundamental question and it raises a serious problem with the entire investigation.”
Seems like HGR is saying that since live ammunition is not allowed on movie sets she is not responsible in any way.

The primary question that I have in this case is why HGR didn't do her job in checking each round to make sure they were all dummies before loading them into the gun. JMO.

Alec Baldwin hired private investigator after 'Rust' shooting, doesn't think he'll be criminally charged​

"I hired a private investigator," Baldwin told CNN, later adding that the last 10 months have "taken years off my life."

Based on the findings of Baldwin's private investigator, he doesn't believe anyone will be criminally charged. Santa Fe County prosecutors have not indicated which way their investigation is leaning.

Baldwin went on to reveal that he's lost five jobs in less than a year because of the accident.

"I got fired from another job yesterday," he said. "There I was all set to go to a movie, jump on a plane ... I've been talking with these guys for months and they told me yesterday we don't want to do the film with you because of this."

The actor reiterated to CNN that there are two people responsible for Halyna's death: assistant director Dave Halls, who handed him the gun and declared it "cold" meaning it had no live ammo, and Hannah Gutierrez Reed, who served as the armorer and props assistant on the film.

"Why didn't [Gutierrez Reed] check that bullet? Why didn't Halls obey her?" Baldwin asked. "Why did he give me the gun? Why didn't he check? Why did he tell the crew [it was a cold gun]?"

"I'm pretty confident neither one of them should ever work in a film set again," Baldwin said. "I sincerely believe ... [investigators are] going to say that this was an accident. It's tragic."

The actor noted that he does not want to "condemn" Gutierrez Reed.

"I mean maybe it's the Catholic in me," Baldwin explained. "I have an impulse to say, I don't want to see anybody suffer. I don't want to sit there and say you know, go get her and condemn her."

Lawyers for Halls and Gutierrez Reed told the outlet Baldwin is trying to shift blame off of himself.
"I mean maybe it's the Catholic in me," Baldwin explained. "I have an impulse to say, I don't want to see anybody suffer.
———
Suffer ? You ended a person’s life!
I can’t even stomach this guy anymore!

JMO

Seems like HGR is saying that since live ammunition is not allowed on movie sets she is not responsible in any way.

The primary question that I have in this case is why HGR didn't do her job in checking each round to make sure they were all dummies before loading them into the gun. JMO.
She should be thanking her lucky stars if they are not asking FBI to check the rounds for prints and DNA. I thought HGR had already admitted it had been her who had loaded the gun?

“As can be seen from the attached emails, the Sheriff’s office made a conscious decision not to pursue this question at all by refusing to ask the FBI to test any of the rounds for fingerprints or DNA.”

Given that the investigation knows “for certain” there were live rounds on set, Gutierrez-Reed called out the Sheriff’s indifference to testing, saying, “It is inconceivable that the Sheriff would not seek answers to this fundamental question and it raises a serious problem with the entire investigation.”

She should be thanking her lucky stars if they are not asking FBI to check the rounds for prints and DNA. I thought HGR had already admitted it had been her who had loaded the gun?

“As can be seen from the attached emails, the Sheriff’s office made a conscious decision not to pursue this question at all by refusing to ask the FBI to test any of the rounds for fingerprints or DNA.”

No one wants to take any accountability at all. They’re all just blaming everyone else. It was not just one person, it was series of events obviously, but wow. The person in charge of the guns, the person who handed the gun over and the person who shot the gun are the most culpable though IMO. I guess they want to protect themselves from lawsuits, etc…, but it’s just gross.
I know of a negligent medical error that was made by 2 people and a patient died. The people responsible apologized face to face to the family and they accepted it.
This must be infuriating for her loved ones.

Last edited:
We know she loaded the gun but we don't know how live bullets got into the dummy box in the first place. They would expect to find her finger prints on the bullets but she wants to find another set. Possibly SK's

We know she loaded the gun but we don't know how live bullets got into the dummy box in the first place. They would expect to find her finger prints on the bullets but she wants to find another set. Possibly SK's
But how is it that an 'armorer' is the one that loaded the gun, but yet she didn't know the difference between the bullet types? Wasn't she/her lawyer initially claiming sabotage and that someone else had loaded it?

"I mean maybe it's the Catholic in me," Baldwin explained. "I have an impulse to say, I don't want to see anybody suffer.
———
Suffer ? You ended a person’s life!
I can’t even stomach this guy anymore!

JMO

Is he trying to portrait that he is an unwavering practicing Catholic now? The things that he pulls out of the air have no limits.

And Trump turning mafia on him?! 1000%

Twisted…

But how is it that an 'armorer' is the one that loaded the gun, but yet she didn't know the difference between the bullet types? Wasn't she/her lawyer initially claiming sabotage and that someone else had loaded it?

It's my understanding that she loaded it before lunch, it was locked away, although others seemed to know the combination for the safe and she was now advised of the rehearsal in order to be on site, nor did she hand off the firearm to AB. Essentially, the loaded revolver was not in her care and control as it should have been.

At this point, it's not easy to know if she was careless, if someone used the firearm for a little lunchtime plinking or if there were multiple revolvers and someone grabbed the wrong one.

It's also my understanding she had a mentor that nobody ever saw on the set. I wonder why that is?

I believe she was hired because she was young so she could be pressed to do double duty (props person as well) and her age allowed her to be easily intimidated.

A more experienced armourer would have never agreed to covering any other position, they would have demanded the firearms safety courses were held and attended and the firearms safe would have been managed by them and nobody else and there would have been no rehearsal without an armourer present. Ultimately, an experienced armourer would have cost a great deal more money.

IMO, the production crew cut corners and created a dangerous environment for everyone.

Might be a dumb question, but has anyone else seen this happen on any movie or t.v. set before? I watch a lot of shows/movies that always include people firing guns, and so I suppose somebody has to be responsible for making sure it gets to the actor and is not loaded with live ammo, right? I don't recall ever seeing a similar situation. Maybe somebody just don't like Mr. Baldwin and wanted to mess him up somehow. But I am kind of leaning toward it being a big mistake. Period. Why should he have to take sole responsibility since the gun obviously has to pass through a couple more hands before being given to him to "fire" and he probably had no idea that it was a live round. JMO, I'm not a big fan of his but I hate to see a person's career be ruined because of some freak thing like this. No offense to anyone else.

When this initially occurred I did not feel Baldwin should be criminally charged: I believed then, and now that he had a right to depend on the people who handled that weapon before him that there was no live bullet in that gun. That said, he really should shut up- he keeps saying things that are so insensitive and really make people like him less and less. The statement about taking years off his life, compared to the fact that a woman is dead because of the gun he held in his hands and pointed at her, is beyond cruel.

Well, as a Producer on a movie, Baldwin is part of the hiring process and part of the process of supervision. If the employees -- assistant director, armorer, and actor did not follow industry safety protocols, well, their supervisor is at fault.

Anyone report why Baldwin did not complete safety training on the Rust set? IIRC, Armorer Gutierrez-Reid scheduled this THREE TIMES for Baldwin....

Yeah, if fault is found -- Baldwin has earned a share for himself imho. (Even before he whined to the press about how difficult this has been for his family & himself!)

jmho ymmv lrr

Can I just point out that this is not necessarily true. Understanding the Hollywood scene is truly a skill in and of itself. Sometimes and often a large name actor may be "named" a producer, but may not actually have any type of say in hiring, etc. Sometimes they are given that title to help them get additional money on the backend of the movie. They are sometimes paid less to actually act in the movie, and then they are given "producer" credit so that IF the movie makes a ton of money, they are paid better from the proceeds at the theater. I do NOT know what kind of producer Balwin was on this production, but he may have just been an actor with less day to day say on the actual production of the movie

When this initially occurred I did not feel Baldwin should be criminally charged: I believed then, and now that he had a right to depend on the people who handled that weapon before him that there was no live bullet in that gun. That said, he really should shut up- he keeps saying things that are so insensitive and really make people like him less and less. The statement about taking years off his life, compared to the fact that a woman is dead because of the gun he held in his hands and pointed at her, is beyond cruel.

Amen! I couldn't agree with everything you have said more!

Honestly there is plenty of blame to go around in this case.

I keep coming back to the fact that the armourer has one job. If she had done her job the tragedy wouldn’t have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unique sky 6793