Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. They could've had several prop guns and chose to use a new one that hadn't been prepared. Or more likely chose dummy bullets over blanks.
Definitely possible. There are a lot of things that can go wrong with dummy bullets and blanks. So tragic.

Alec tweeted several years ago about how it must feel to shoot someone

Baldwin, 63, had tweeted on Sept. 23, 2017, about Huntington Beach police officer Eric Esparza being caught on video shooting dead Dillan Tabares, 27, who’d punched him and reached for his gun.

“I wonder how it must feel to wrongfully kill someone,” the actor wrote of the police shooting that the Orange County District Attorney’s Office later ruled had been justified.
Alec Baldwin haunted over old tweet about fatal cop shooting

Definitely possible. There are a lot of things that can go wrong with dummy bullets and blanks. So tragic.

The only actor I would trust with a real gun is Keanu Reeves.

He's been professionally trained in firearms safety for years and would have made sure that any gun handed to him was correctly loaded regardless of on set prop managers.

Being the producer and lead of the film he could have easily been in charge of everything.
He is a producer and an actor on the film, but people are hired to take care of this exact thing. He probably isn’t an expert on firearms so relies on an expert to ensure safety. It really will depend what the investigation shows, but I highly doubt he’ll be found to be responsible personally. Maybe if they determine safety protocols were not followed and there was general negligence on the set, the production company could be held liable, but him personally? I doubt it unless we find out something big that we don’t already know. MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
According to this article (Prop Gun Fired by Alec Baldwin Contained Live Bullet, Says IATSE Local 44 — UPDATE), the person who was in charge of guns on the set was not an IATSE member (many of whom are currently on strike or preparing for one) but instead a local, presumably non-union New Mexico crew. It has some good information so I thought that I'd share it.
RIP Halyna. This shouldn't have happened. IMO no live bullets ought to be on sets, it's too dangerous.

From the IATSE 480 (New Mexico Film) webpage:

Prop Weapons-Armorer

A licensed Armourer has to be on set when weapons and firearms are used, to meet legal requirements. Armourers analyse the script, working with the Producer, Director and Properties Master, to put together a list of weapons needed. They may have to research the style of weaponry according to the period and type of film. Armourers may also consult with the Production Designer and the Prop Maker on the design of any tailor-made weapons.

Armourers liaise with the Director of Photography to determine which camera angles will minimise any risk of injury. During rehearsals Armourers coach the Actors in the correct use of the firearms, explaining possible dangers. They also help to choreograph any gunfire action sequences. They continually check weapons during breaks and rehearsals, making sure safety controls are still intact.

Prop Weapons-Armorer - IATSE Local 480

I thought all live ammunition was banned on sets after Brandon Lee?

ETA: Answered my own question. Not illegal, but against safety regulations.

On-set deaths from prop guns are rare — but not unheard of

Hollywood adheres to Safety Bulletins, written and distributed by the Industry-Wide Labor-Management Safety Committee, for standards on weapon and prop safety, as well as other rules.

In the first bulletin addressing firearms and the use of blank ammunition, the document notes prominently: "TREAT ALL FIREARMS AS THOUGH THEY ARE LOADED." It goes on to say live ammunition is to never be used nor brought onto a set.

However, these are recommendations and not binding law.

Here is an article regarding deaths on movie sets. I had no idea there had been so many :(

I remember the Twilight Zone filming tragedy, where the two young children and actor Vic Motown were killed by the helicopter. It was absolutely horrifying and hard to believe it could have happened.

Recent Accidents on TV and Movie Sets
Vic Morrow I think, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads