Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the IATSE 480 (New Mexico Film) webpage:

Prop Weapons-Armorer

A licensed Armourer has to be on set when weapons and firearms are used, to meet legal requirements. Armourers analyse the script, working with the Producer, Director and Properties Master, to put together a list of weapons needed. They may have to research the style of weaponry according to the period and type of film. Armourers may also consult with the Production Designer and the Prop Maker on the design of any tailor-made weapons.

Armourers liaise with the Director of Photography to determine which camera angles will minimise any risk of injury. During rehearsals Armourers coach the Actors in the correct use of the firearms, explaining possible dangers. They also help to choreograph any gunfire action sequences. They continually check weapons during breaks and rehearsals, making sure safety controls are still intact.

Prop Weapons-Armorer - IATSE Local 480

Replying to myself to just make clear the point my post makes. Doesn't matter if a union Armourer was there or not. It is a legal requirement to have a licensed Armourer on set. Sounds like negligence on the part of the producer to me, if that is the case. IMO.

Replying to myself to just make clear the point my post makes. Doesn't matter if a union Armourer was there or not. It is a legal requirement to have a licensed Armourer on set. Sounds like negligence on the part of the producer to me, if that is the case. IMO.
Baldwin was the shooter and is also the producer.

Treat all firearms as loaded (rule one for both gun safety and for gun use in films). Baldwin did not do this.

They weren't even filming at that moment...

The human tragedy of this is mind blowing to me. Sounds like mistakes and chances were taken. Why? Hubris? Ego? Money? I am very sorry for the victims and their families, and not to disregard their pain, but I am fascinated with the human dynamics that led to this. And you, @10ofRods are a great person to post about this in particular. I look forward to any analysis you might share as this case unravels and moves forward. :)

Alec Baldwin discharged gun in incident that killed cinematographer

A helicopter transported cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, 42, to the University of New Mexico Hospital, where she was pronounced dead by medical personnel, according to the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office. The director, 42-year-old Joel Souza, was transported via ambulance to Christus St. Vincent’s hospital and is receiving emergency treatment for his injuries.

"According to investigators it appears that the scene being filmed involved the use of a prop firearm when it was discharged," a release from the sheriff's office said. "Detectives are investigating how and what type of projectile was discharged."

I can’t link it, but a cameraperson on twitter posted how they film scenes where a prop gun is fired: those filming are behind a bullet-proof clear shield.

I don’t understand this. Also the reports that live rounds were used..I’m just baffled

I haven’t read all the posts here yet, will start now.

I think this terrible tragedy will be the turning point for the film industry and appropriate laws will be introduced.

I remember watching so called "westerns" as a child, films about Wild West with John Wayne and Gary Cooper - there was a special TV Channel with these old films. I loved them :)

The plots involved constant shooting - I wonder if there were any accidents on sets back then.

It is just a simple fact that in all places SAFETY is paramount in the workforce. Everywhere! In everything we do as human beings. I just cannot imagine that there isn't a OSHA requirement or something for the film industry using firearms. If there is such a thing, this horrific example is complete Negligence on someone's part.

Before that gun ever made it to AB's hands, IMO it should have been checked. screened and documented. Why wasn't it? And, did AB ( as the Producer ) know that it wasn't checked? Did AB know that the Unionized members typically assigned to the Ammo department were not there on set? So many questions! And such a sad and tragic outcome.

How did this happen? It's easy to tell a blank from a live round. Didn't Baldwin bother to check the rounds before shooting? Here is a chart, a blank doesn't have a point on the end. The pointy thing is the projectile.
b1_1221.jpg

It is just a simple fact that in all places SAFETY is paramount in the workforce. Everywhere! In everything we do as human beings. I just cannot imagine that there isn't a OSHA requirement or something for the film industry using firearms. If there is such a thing, this horrific example is complete Negligence on someone's part.

Before that gun ever made it to AB's hands, IMO it should have been checked. screened and documented. Why wasn't it? And, did AB ( as the Producer ) know that it wasn't checked? Did AB know that the Unionized members typically assigned to the Ammo department were not there on set? So many questions! And such a sad and tragic outcome.
Do you think it could have something to do with it not being a studio production, but a Netflix production? Are they part of the motion picture union since they are internet based?

From the Brandon Lee article, an explanation of “squib load”.

In the shooting of an earlier scene, the prop gun - which was a real Smith & Wesson revolver - had been loaded with improperly crafted dummy rounds, cartridges which have the powder charges removed so that in close-ups the revolver appears loaded with normal ammunition.

The crew failed to remove the primer from the cartridges and at some point, prior to the fatal incident, one of the rounds was fired.

Although there was no powder cartridge, the energy from the ignited primer was able to separate the bullet from the casing and push it up into the gun barrel where it got lodged - known as a 'squib load.'

In the fatal scene, the gun was to be fired from 12ft away, with dummy cartridges being replaced by blanks, containing powder and primer but no bullets.

But the gun was not properly checked and cleared before the blank was fired by the actor playing the and the .44 bullet lodged inside the weapon was discharged and
struck Lee in the abdomen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members